ADVERTISEMENT

FB on the way....you just might like this bit of info.

If he’s such a good coach then why hasn’t anyone hired him as a hc? You named Billy who went from UTEP to Texas A&M, Sadler from UTEP to Nebraska, Barbee from UTEP to Auburn. Which up and coming football assistants has UTEP hired that was hired by a P5 after a successful stint at UTEP?

He was a good coach for UTEP football standards. He won the only conference championship.

You're living in la la land.

Pitino is as toxic as they come. Iona is a great fit for him with his New York roots. However, if UTEP offered him in 2018 instead of Terry. He would have taken it in a heartbeat. I doubt he ever coaches a game at Iona. I think a five year show cause is coming his way.

Pitino is as toxic as they come. Iona is a great fit for him with his New York roots. However, if UTEP offered him in 2018 instead of Terry. He would have taken it in a heartbeat. I doubt he ever coaches a game at Iona. I think a five year show cause is coming his way.

Again, you're living in la la land.

True, but Nord did recruit Higgins and Palmer.

Price was the right hire, but I think Nord would have done the same, or better, as Price did in 2004 and 2005.

That's the biggest what if in UTEP athletics history. What if Gary Nord got to coach the fifth year of his five year plan? Nord definitely had the recruiting formula for UTEP that no one since has been close to replicating. If he wins in 2004 we probably be become a consistently winning program.

Grand Canyon

He would still have chosen UTEP. Our basketball program is as big a dumpster fire as our football program. However, UTEP offers something GCU couldnt; insulation. The Phoenix media would have ripped him to shreds everyday. The negative press would have been overwhelming. The El Paso media is soft as Charmin. He would have been insulated from tough questions. The city would have embraced him just like they initially did floyd and price initially who were both disgraced.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
That's the biggest what if in UTEP athletics history. What if Gary Nord got to coach the fifth year of his five year plan? Nord definitely had the recruiting formula for UTEP that no one since has been close to replicating. If he wins in 2004 we probably be become a consistently winning program.
I think a bigger what if is, had we not being picked for cusa and instead we take LT’s place in the WAC, would Price have gone toe to toe for WAC supremacy with Boise St?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
He would still have chosen UTEP. Our basketball program is as big a dumpster fire as our football program. However, UTEP offers something GCU couldnt; insulation. The Phoenix media would have ripped him to shreds everyday. The negative press would have been overwhelming. The El Paso media is soft as Charmin. He would have been insulated from tough questions. The city would have embraced him just like they initially did floyd and price initially who were both disgraced.

I don't think so. Pitino would have been a great fit there and had a lot of great things to say about the school.

I think a bigger what if is, had we not being picked for cusa and instead we take LT’s place in the WAC, would Price have gone toe to toe for WAC supremacy with Boise St?

No, Boise State was much better than UTEP.

Our entire athletic program would be in shambles. The WAC was quickly collapsing and the smartest thing Stull ever did was to abandon that sinking ship.

No, those comments were made when Louisville played at GCU.

Mike Leach once said The Sun Bowl wasa louder and more intimidating than Kyle field and dkr memorial stadium in Austin. In his defense DKR has always been a very quiet stadium and the crowd is pretty passive. Kyle Field however is always loud and the 12 th man is always ready to go. It was all coach speak meant to troll rivals. You ever heard a coach say a place is piece of shit? They never do.

Mike Leach once said The Sun Bowl wasa louder and more intimidating than Kyle field and dkr memorial stadium in Austin. In his defense DKR has always been a very quiet stadium and the crowd is pretty passive. Kyle Field however is always loud and the 12 th man is always ready to go. It was all coach speak meant to troll rivals. You ever heard a coach say a place is piece of shit? They never do.

Terry needs to troll UTSA. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The wac had a period with three top 25 teams. Boise, Fresno and Hawaii. If we had stayed we could have been in that conversation.

Hindsight is 20/20. Did we make the right move? Maybe at the time. If Stull would have known that in 2013, CUSA would have been UNT, UTSA, FIU, FAU and other Sun Belt schools and Houston, SMU, and Memphis are gone; I don’t know if you make that move.

Possible. They’re not in the eastern time zone, so maybe. Things would be a lot different if we didn’t change conferences and had we fired Price and not hired Kugler.
We were outmanned by our conference mates in sec territory. They weren’t good teams just bigger and stronger than us. I think if we had stayed in the wac we would have a statue of mike price outside the sun bowl.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
We were outmanned by our conference mates in sec territory. They weren’t good teams just bigger and stronger than us. I think if we had stayed in the wac we would have a statue of mike price outside the sun bowl.

That’s not all of it. There were some issues with Price’s coaching as well. In 2006, the Miners were 5-6 and could have been .500, not sure if they would have gone bowling, but they got blown out by a 1-10 Memphis team in front of 31k in the Sun Bowl. That’s poor coaching.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

As someone who attended all games in my tenure at Kyle Field, that crowd is nowhere near the loudness and rowdiness of a packed Sun Bowl. And I even attended the games against the T-Sips and not even close.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
The ONLY way to get things started at UTEP now is to bring in a troubled P5 coach that can instantly change our recruiting efforts, score points, get some wins and put butts in the seats. I dont see any other option at this point. It will then be up to our administration and donors to keep us rolling once we reach the top. We are just spinning our wheels.

Bringing in a has been or never was will take too long to turn things around and create a deeper rut. We need somebody to pull us out and put us on even ground so we can at least turn the wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
The ONLY way to get things started at UTEP now is to bring in a troubled P5 coach that can instantly change our recruiting efforts, score points, get some wins and put butts in the seats. I dont see any other option at this point.

It is not the ONLY option. Remember, all head coaches had to start somewhere. Somebody took a chance on Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and every other coach. Some turn out like Dismel and Kugler, others don’t.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT