ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Floyd...

Coach Floyd

I am as frustrated as everyone else. But if the players had hit free throws at a respectable level this year, all of this talk of firing would never occur. We were very close this year to having an outstanding team. If we had played the cupcakes of years past, the record would be such that the volume of firing Coach would be low. In my opinion, every year we have gotten better than the last.

I like playing the better teams, and that only comes via the coach unless you are Stull and don't give a rats a$$ about scheduling other than money and willing to get raped on the scheduling.

If I did my math right, we lost ten games by an average of 5.9 points and that is including the LA Tech losses which inflate that number by 3 points. We all know we just didn't match up with La Tech because of our guard play. Sure we got beat by Marshall and Southern Miss, shouldn't happen. Now if we had gotten blown out more than two games I would be thinking differently.

It just seams like some on this board just want to change to change. That is the point that JudenSmithFan makes in the other thread. I do know that if we had one decent #2 guard that could shoot, we wouldn't have lost those games. In addition, we have assistant coaches that are all respected and Bob Cantu is known as a good recruiter. On paper it sure looks like we have good players coming in which supports that.

I am not willing to give a lifetime pass to Coach Floyd, but I do know he has won at every NCAA stop he has made. I would rather have him than have a young coach that would embarass us (Rab) or regress. I respected Coach Haskins opinion, and he always said that Tim could coach. I do believe that Haskins forgot more about basketball than all of us on this board ever knew.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:17 PM by PickAx

Wrong, Bob, the majority of people do not wait for UTEP to lose and then post all sorts of drivel and call others names such as "fool".

If Floyd is going to stay, I think we need to shake the staff up. I also know that's probably not going to happen. Floyd, Johnson, and Cantu are all pretty much the same. Pretty good defensive coaches. Meh offensive coaches. I would like to see someone with an offensive background. We're going to have to be a much better offensive team next year because I don't think we're going to nearly as good on the defensive end. And, in case you didn't notice, we took a step back on the defensive end this year. Losing Washburn and Lang aren't going to help that either.

Actually 4... The first team was all barbees players... Now we have gone through the 4 years...and I expect nothing but up from here...

He has the team recruiting 2-3 players every year... Good stagger
This team will have depth next year..

Floyd could have never forseen losing Ragland, Moore and crosgile.....all three of those guys would've helped last year and Ragland and Moore would've have this year been huge...imagine Moore running things instead of cooper?

And not forget isaac hamilton screwed us the hell over.... How about having hamilton and hunter together???

If you guys can't see the problem trying to recruit such a heavy number his first year and the effects it's had you don't know what you are talking about....there is no way floyd could have gone after anyone really good, he had to find people like Lang... Lang was awful as a freshman and look at how he developed? If floyd had only had to recruit 3-4 players his first year I would be with you guys but that cycle just finished yesterday with Lang, cooper and washburn.... I expect to go up from here

Good looking recruits coming in with Thomas, lee Moore, England guy and Romine!

Patience is a virtue..

If this team doesn't look a lot better next year, you guys can yell at me and say I don't know what I am talking about and I'll jump on the fire fire fire bandwagon

To me hunter/ Thomas combo is gonna be very good
As well as harris and Moore...we should have some shooters and depth

This team should roll as long as hunter comes back

The fact that you think Ragland would have helped this team tells me all I need to know about your knowledge and understanding.

Wow that's all you get out of that? You read what I post and then try to insult me? Hmmm I can do that too... Ragland would've been a good 8th or 9mam off the bench but could've helped with our lack of depth I never had him starting.. You freaking idiot!!

Originally posted by PURPLEFIRE:
Wow that's all you get out of that? You read what I post and then try to insult me? Hmmm I can do that too... Ragland would've been a good 8th or 9mam off the bench but could've helped with our lack of depth I never had him starting.. You freaking idiot!!
No, that's not all I got out of that. It's all I needed to get out of that to know you don't know shit about bb. That and your love affair with a coach who has produced so minimally, even after his high praise of this being his best team by far since he's been here. And you think it's going to be better next year...oh wait, the year after, or better yet 7 years from now. Even Floyd is bound to get the Miners into the Dance at least once within 10 years. That doesn't make him a good coach. The player/coach relationship aspect of the game has passed him by. You probably haven't noticed, but not even one of his teams has yielded a floor general, someone who is willing to consistently put this team on his shoulders. Your posts are comical, and you are nothing more than an eternal sunshine pumper. And quit acting so tough over the internet. It makes you look the opposite of how you're trying to come off.

Act tough on the Internet?? Didn't know there was such a thing? Did I capitalize a letter that made my post sound threatening?? Oops Trust me I know a lot about basketball!! The fact that you can't understand a simple concept about how recruiting works in college basketball makes me wonder about your bb iq.... There is no point in arguing we are both miner fans and want the same thing so let's agree to disagree no need for the insults... I'm very confident in the direction of the program I'll bet ya we are a better team next year than we were this year!! I think we will get over 25 wins next year

. I'm very confident in the direction of the program I'll bet ya we are a better team next year than we were this year!! I think we will get over 25 wins next year
What do you want to bet? I will bet you anything UTEP does not get to 25 wins next year. Silly homer.

First of all...who the hell is "Metal Mania"? From out of nowhere he suddenly makes this profound announcement of his expert decision. I feel that the disappointment of this season has to be shared by the coaches and the players. Floyd, no doubt could have done some things better, but he can't shoot the ball, rebound it or not turn it over. He is dedicated to the school,the fans, winning,etc. It means more to him than to you or me (can you negative Nancy's comprehend that?). He wants to be in El Paso. How many candidates can you name that would simply want this job because of their desire to be here
and not as a stepping stone for "greener" pastures...Gillespie, Barbee, Sadler?
We are lucky to have him. Let's encourage him as well as the players AND the incoming recruits and potential recruits. Consider how a potential recruit might make his decision based on some of the remarks you make about him. I guarantee you that Floyd will not be fired because some of you post such sentiments on here. Use your energy elsawhere.

Originally posted by miner1liner:

We are lucky to have him. Let's encourage him as well as the players AND the incoming recruits and potential recruits. Consider how a potential recruit might make his decision based on some of the remarks you make about him. I guarantee you that Floyd will not be fired because some of you post such sentiments on here. Use your energy elsawhere.
Yeah, we are so lucky to have him here! Where would the program be without that First Round NIT loss in 2011 or that First Round CBI loss in 2014? We were definitely lucky to have him for our 71-64 loss to a depleted NMSU team. Who can forget those losses to Florida Atlantic, New Orleans and Angelo St last season? How about losing by 24 to Vanderbilt and finishing in 8th place in the 2012 Old Spice Classic. Don't forget about losing 53-35 to Stephen F Austin at home, in 2011!

We sure are lucky! Let's give him a contract extension and re-name the DHC for this awesome coach!

OK, Miner fans. Carlos, our saviour is here. Maybe he can offer himself or someone else as the replacement. Who, Carlos, Who ???

To be fair, Ragland was barely a serviceable 8th or 9th man on teams that were less talented. If things hadn't happened, he'd probably be fighting Hooper Vint for last man off the bench.

PG McKenzie Moore
SG CJ Cooper/Earvin Morris/Omega Harris
SF Julian Washburn
PF Vince Hunter
C Cedric Lang

6 CJ Cooper/Earvin Morris/Omega Harris
7 CJ Cooper/Earvin Morris/Omega Harris
8 Matt Willms
9 Hooper Vint/Jalen Ragland
10 Hooper Vint/Jalen Ragland

Ok let's go a utep basketball or football shirt of my choice no more than 40....you win you can have something up to that value

Conditions
25 wins or more including tourney
Vince hunter stays
Recruits all make it here

Deal?

I for one will still be happy with CTF in charge and I'm glad a lot of us could care less what the same usual haters have to say. I'm frustrated that we didn't do better this year, but it doesn't mean I'm ready to join in with Carlos (who) or Bob.

GO MINERS

Originally posted by winstoneptx:
I for one will still be happy with CTF in charge and I'm glad a lot of us could care less what the same usual haters have to say. I'm frustrated that we didn't do better this year, but it doesn't mean I'm ready to join in with Carlos (who) or Bob.

GO MINERS
We're haters for wanting to go to the Big Dance and expecting more? Don't you realize that most of this board is not on your side?

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

GO MINERS
We're haters for wanting to go to the Big Dance and expecting more? Don't you realize that most of this board is not on your side?
How the hell do you make that justification, there are maybe 7-8 posters that want Floyd gone......?

Originally posted by PickAx:

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

GO MINERS
How the hell do you make that justification, there are maybe 7-8 posters that want Floyd gone......?
A lot more than that.

Ok, I was off, there are nine posters in this thread calling for his head. Hardly makes a majority....

So some want him gone, and some want to keep TF around...both sides can justify their stance. allminer already said it, nobody's argument is going to change anybody's mind. Maybe we can move on from this because regardless of where one stands, CTF will be here next year regardless. Even being one who is ready for change, I hope CTF has these guys playing good ball for the NIT, and next year in particular.

9 posters? That's not bad when it's really like 1 poster and 8 alternate chi personalities :)

Exactly - overly dramatic, over-reacting ones, with no solutions are up in arms, the usual suspects. Us more level-headed ones know to stay the course on this one...

PURPLEFIRE posted on 3/15/2015...

9 posters? That's not bad when it's really like 1 poster and 8 alternate chi personalities :)

Thank you Purple I was thinking the same thing too, Because Chi and now Carlos AKA Music and Chunks are one in the same idiot.

GO MINERS

When discussing Floyd's future here before the season, I clearly remember chi saying he was expecting no less than an NIT appearance in order to assure another year. I'm sure he's conveniently forgotten that post.

Actually 4... The first team was all barbees players... Now we have gone through the 4 years...and I expect nothing but up from here...
Actually 5, they all count against his record. His best team was Barbee's team. I also expect nothing but up from here.

He has the team recruiting 2-3 players every year... Good stagger
This team will have depth next year..
Has there been a year with only 2 or 3. Seems like he recruits half a team every off-season.

Floyd could have never forseen losing Ragland, Moore and crosgile.....all three of those guys would've helped last year and Ragland and Moore would've have this year been huge...imagine Moore running things instead of cooper?
Would have been nice. Good players, bad break for Floyd.

And not forget isaac hamilton screwed us the hell over.... How about having hamilton and hunter together???
Would have put us in the tournament for sure.

If you guys can't see the problem trying to recruit such a heavy number his first year and the effects it's had you don't know what you are talking about....there is no way floyd could have gone after anyone really good, he had to find people like Lang... Lang was awful as a freshman and look at how he developed? If floyd had only had to recruit 3-4 players his first year I would be with you guys but that cycle just finished yesterday with Lang, cooper and washburn.... I expect to go up from here
Have to disagree, Floyd screwed up in recruiting from his first class. His first class foreshadowed the following cycles. Players not coming to campus for a host of reasons. He put himself in the hole by not recruiting the right guys the first class. Best thing he did was make sure Bohannon came. Second class had to be enormous because he botched year 1. And after all that, only 2 players from his 'heavy number' 2nd class go on to play 4 years. (Don't Forget, Washburn part of initial 'Bohannon's' class, not 'Lang's' group.)

Good looking recruits coming in with Thomas, lee Moore, England guy and Romine!
Remains to be seen, Thomas looks great, Moore is underrated by recruiting services because he is good. Question marks on the other 2. Plus, we don't know which guys will end up here and how many more will sign.

Patience is a virtue..
Very True

If this team doesn't look a lot better next year, you guys can yell at me and say I don't know what I am talking about and I'll jump on the fire fire fire bandwagon\
Early forecast is that they will be alot like this team. Inconsistent. Can beat anybody but can get beat by anybody.

To me hunter/ Thomas combo is gonna be very good
As well as harris and Moore...we should have some shooters and depth
Not ready to trust a freshman yet in Thomas, but that combo could be pretty scary for opponents.

This team should roll as long as hunter comes back
We all want that.

Purplefire,

If you have conditions about Vince and all the recruits coming here, why would you say they would win 25 games?

What makes the think that UTEP will win more games next year without Washburn and Lang? Without a true point guard and without 2 of our better defenders, why would next year be better?

PURPLEFIRE posted on 3/15/2015...

Thank you Purple I was thinking the same thing too, Because Chi and now Carlos AKA Music and Chunks are one in the same idiot.

GO MINERS
He was joking. Geez, some people still don't get jokes even if the person uses an emoticon.

I only have one account on here. Not sure how many time I need to say it.

Maybe I missed the post, but if everyone is yelling to fire Floyd, then who's on the list to replace him? I'm not defending Floyd, but every time I hear the bell ringing for a coach to be fired, I wonder who, realistically, these folks have in mind to replace the outgoing coach. You can scratch every big name you can think of that's already walking someone's sideline. Second, any coach in the tournie isn't going to be available either. Lastly any coach that's retired (ie Jim Calhoun) - you might as well scratch them too. So let's see this realistic Top Five replacement list for Tim Floyd.

because i see whats coming in and whats staying.... if no one leaves or does not make it to campus

we will have the same height, we will be a better rebounding team i believe and we will have a better shooting team in my opinion

height... wilms, romine, hunter, mcswiggan, vint, flaggert, all 6'7 or taller
rebounding..... i think between wilms hunter and i have heard nothing but good things about wynn and his rebounding should be better

shooting... lee moore, mcswiggan and touchet look impressive shooting the ball... none have yet played d 1 so only time will tell but when you are a good shooter you learn how to adjust.. flaggert has a decent shot, harris with an offseason i believe will improve, then we still have morris who will probably be our best 3pt shooter again... then throw in hunter who can score and if he develops a jump shot which he know he needs..... add in wilms who has a decent shot and will only improve.....i think next years team if it stays as is.... will be far more explosive than this one

those are the reasons i believe we will be better... one thing with floyd is his teams always have an above average defense and if you add people who can score thats the perfect combo..... the one thing i am still concerned about however is our pg position....

thats why... you can disagree with me all you want, call it stupid but thats how i see it... i think we wont lose much defensively and will be much better offensively...

Originally posted by Tribalwarriorx:
Maybe I missed the post, but if everyone is yelling to fire Floyd, then who's on the list to replace him? I'm not defending Floyd, but every time I hear the bell ringing for a coach to be fired, I wonder who, realistically, these folks have in mind to replace the outgoing coach. You can scratch every big name you can think of that's already walking someone's sideline. Second, any coach in the tournie isn't going to be available either. Lastly any coach that's retired (ie Jim Calhoun) - you might as well scratch them too. So let's see this realistic Top Five replacement list for Tim Floyd.
We don't need to name a replacement, that's the Athletic Dept's job. This is the same ridiculous question people posed when talk of firing CMP was at its peak. Well, I can tell you that nobody back then would have brought Kugler's name up, yet here we are with a winning record in season two of his tenure.

After calipari wins another title more than likely this year even though I do have a gut feeling saying they are gonna be upset....Anyway if calipari were to come coach the miners... Do you think he could do just as well over time??? For all the morons that can't read I am not saying calipari is coming to utep or he is even a better coach .... Just wondering?

Cal has been to the final four at all three of his college stops. He would win big here or anywhere else he chose to coach.

Spot on USA. Here's a Top 5:

1. Anthony Grant
2. Brad Underwood
3. Tony Barbee
4. Any assistant on Louisville or Kentucky's staff.
5. Billy Gillispie

Floyd should make the NIT Final Four since he's so great and these players are so awesome. Let's see what they do tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT