ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I’m saving the date and making the 45 minute drive north to go meet our coaching staff.

Reactions: HeWore62

For what it's worth, this Powell kid is a 6-1, 175-pound ATH in class of 2019, after transferring this spring to Odessa Permian from private Midland Christian School. If memory serves, he's related to Roy Williams, the former Texas Longhorn who played in the NFL.

UTEP should consider putting the Miners starting center Derron Gatewood on the case. Derron, too, is a Permian product, two-year starter and a good kid well on his way to graduating.

Surprised Texas Tech is not sniffing around, looking to move Powell to DB.

Powell makes his lukewarm private school opponents look as if they are running in mud. Running (not passing often) in Permian's offense, he will stack up some numbers.

One man's opinion: At a D-1 school, almost certainly not UTEP, he'll play WR or DB.
Another KJ

Powell makes his lukewarm private school opponents look as if they are running in mud. Running (not passing often) in Permian's offense, he will stack up some numbers.

One man's opinion: At a D-1 school, almost certainly not UTEP, he'll play WR or DB.

I agree. I think UTEP can/should guarantee him he will get a crack at QB. Sit out a year and battle it out as a RS Freshman.

I agree. I think UTEP can/should guarantee him he will get a crack at QB. Sit out a year and battle it out as a RS Freshman.

I don't usually go out on a limb with dual-threat QBs and position changes. I mean, seriously, what makes me an expert? Not much ... but this:

I just happened to have seen this guy play. Powell, like any other good athlete, could improve, yes, but tinkering with the throwing motion is tricky. Sometimes the treatment makes the "patient" worse.

I don't usually go out on a limb with dual-threat QBs and position changes. I mean, seriously, what makes me an expert? Not much ... but this:

I just happened to have seen this guy play. Powell, like any other good athlete, could improve, yes, but tinkering with the throwing motion is tricky. Sometimes the treatment makes the "patient" worse.

Fortunately, being an expert is not a requirement for posting prognostications on this board. You’re probably right about this kid.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Fortunately, being an expert is not a requirement for posting prognostications on this board. You’re probably right about this kid.
Don't get me wrong, FanatiCoog. You won't hear a bad rap on the kid for his behavior, except maybe from bitter Midland Christian fans. The Powells, by all accounts, are good people, so this prospect comes from good stock. The run-pass option of the Dimel attack similar to K-State's could give this prospect a real shot at QB. Fact is, he probably throws now, as a high school senior-to-be, about like those K-State QBs we've seen in recent years -- more runners than chunkers.

Don't get me wrong, FanatiCoog. You won't hear a bad rap on the kid for his behavior, except maybe from bitter Midland Christian fans. The Powells, by all accounts, are good people, so this prospect comes from good stock. The run-pass option of the Dimel attack similar to K-State's could give this prospect a real shot at QB. Fact is, he probably throws now, as a high school senior-to-be, about like those K-State QBs we've seen in recent years -- more runners than chunkers.

Well, now that we got the Isaac Likekele to OSU out of our system out of the way let's get ready for football. It does come first and Texas loves it's football.

Interesting tidbits from this podcast. Sounds great hearing that HS coaches are telling us about class of '21 and that South TX we're the first (so far at this point) DI college in to go down there

Interesting tidbits from this podcast. Sounds great hearing that HS coaches are telling us about class of '21 and that South TX we're the first (so far at this point) DI college in to go down there
Canales is logging some major frequent flyer miles. He seems very energetic
hope it eventually leads to better recruits.

It's all "Fake News!".

Sorry, watching too much Trump/ Mueller investigation stuff on TV.

Anyways, Coach Waters making double time with the Texas high schools. Nice.
Jake Waters is one of those young firebrand assistants now given a chance to earn his spurs. Seems like only a few months ago, we were watching him play at K-State.

It's all "Fake News!".

Sorry, watching too much Trump/ Mueller investigation stuff on TV.

Anyways, Coach Waters making double time with the Texas high schools. Nice.
Fake news IS everywhere. Damn near all so called news affiliations report only crap that will draw ratings, not what's factually true.I worked in the media and I KNOW they will publish things ONLY to draw clicks so they can charge more for viewers.....fact

Jake is a good dude....

Jolly good idea. Take copious mental notes, and report back to the brethren.
Wait a cotton picken' minute! Rabbit, is that you? There was only one miner fan (on both Kyyote's and 'digs) that used that kind of language that I have been reading the last few weeks. C'mon, come clean.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Wait a cotton picken' minute! Rabbit, is that you? There was only one miner fan (on both Kyyote's and 'digs) that used that kind of language that I have been reading the last few weeks. C'mon, come clean.
Well, he did say he was a writer?

Dimel the younger wrote the word "home."

JCorona or somebody, could you put a little more meat on our plate here?

If "home" is where the heart is, does he mean El Paso? Or one of the other D-1 towns where he would be welcomed?

I still believe that he’s in going to ELP. Wrote a goodbye post (got to read his older posts) and has the airplane symbol from the Manhattan KS area code to the 915

I still believe that he’s in going to ELP. Wrote a goodbye post (got to read his older posts) and has the airplane symbol from the Manhattan KS area code to the 915
As we know, the UTEP offense would welcome a mature player with his experience, talent and level of commitment. Same with many other programs around the nation.

In Dimel's offenses at K-State, the FB was not a featured back rolling up gaudy rushing or receiving stats, but certainly a key figure in the scheme. Am thinking Winston Dimel would make a snug fit in the Miners' new approach. A stabilizing influence.

As we know, the UTEP offense would welcome a mature player with his experience, talent and level of commitment. Same with many other programs around the nation.

In Dimel's offenses at K-State, the FB was not a featured back rolling up gaudy rushing or receiving stats, but certainly a key figure in the scheme. Am thinking Winston Dimel would make a snug fit in the Miners' new approach. A stabilizing influence.
He put on a clinic against UCLA during their bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT