ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I'll say it....this is getting old...You routinely use this. Move on to your next phrase. K? K.
"I'll say this": Hmmm. Every editor needs an editor, true. Have you appointed yourself to be mine? The job does not pay much, but you might expand your horizons.

Feel free to lob molotov cocktails, UTEPfan1966, but suggest you be careful here, cowboy. This post indicates you might soon cease to amuse me.

You and others of your stripe are treading on one of the most loyal UTEP followers, dating back to the mid-1960s. Nobody coming to this board has more portfolio, coupled with less experience in social media. If you choose to edit my copy, you might get hired.

Be advised, you might fall short of the standards.

After 35 years of covering sports at major metro dailies in El Paso, Abilene, Dallas and San Antonio, I now run a publishing firm that produces 3-4 books a year. Of more interest to you Miners fans, I distribute a newsletter that goes to Miners coaches, staffers, lettermen, fans and top donors. Translation: In a year's time, I can supply you posters with inside info, from sources who are dialed in to UTEP athletics.

It costs me a few thousand dollars a year to generate this newsletter, but I do it because nobody else can, or will. It's free to anyone who signs up to receive. The hot-list of recipients might surprise some of you posters. Are you interested in receiving?

This particular board poster you tried to impale is a two-year UTEP football letterman who today weighs about 250 pounds. He is still fit, cares little about your physical welfare and has been in more fistfights than you have ever seen.

A man to be reckoned with, he will spank your bottom. Before you mess with him, suggest you call a local clinic in advance.

There are two courses of action here, and only two:

(2.) I had hoped this exercise would provide me insight to publish in my newsletter. Maybe my expectations were too high? If this horseshed continues, I will leave it with you. No harm, no foul.

(1.) If you mullets will mind your manners, and provide thoughtful input, I will be the first to buy you a beer before a UTEP home football game this autumn. I am such a pigeon that way.

Picks up and viva Miners.

Last edited:
"I'll say this": Hmmm. Every editor needs an editor, true. Have you appointed yourself to be mine? The job does not pay much, but you might expand your horizons.

Feel free to lob molotov cocktails, UTEPfan1966, but suggest you be careful here, cowboy. This post indicates you might soon cease to amuse me.

You and others of your stripe are treading on one of the most loyal UTEP followers, dating back to the mid-1960s. Nobody coming to this board has more portfolio, coupled with less experience in social media. If you choose to edit my copy, you might get hired.

Be advised, you might fall short of the standards.

After 35 years of covering sports at major metro dailies in El Paso, Abilene, Dallas and San Antonio, I now run a publishing firm that produces 3-4 books a year. Of more interest to you Miners fans, I distributed a newsletter that goes to Miners coaches, staffers, lettermen, fans and top donors. Translation: In a year's time, I can supply you posters with inside info, from sources who are dialed in to UTEP athletics.

It costs me a few thousand dollars a year to generate this newsletter, but I do it because nobody else can, or will. It's free to anyone who signs up to receive. The hot-list of recipients might surprise some of you posters. Are you interested in receiving?

I was amused recently when some feckless troll (new expression for me that has little to do with catching big striped bass at Lake Texoma) started grinding on a former UTEP teammate of mine -- or was trying to do so. Why? What's in it for the poster?

These were anonymous rips, carried out behind some vague shroud where gutless weasels go to hide. You might want to check your hole cards, fellas.

This particular board poster you tried to impale is a two-year UTEP football letterman who today weighs about 275 pounds. He is still fit, cares little about your physical welfare and has been in more fistfights than you have ever seen.

Cat is a man to be reckoned with. Con cuidado. He will spank your bottom. Before you mess with him, suggest you call a local clinic in advance.

There are two courses of action here, and only two:

(2.) I had hoped this exercise would provide me insight to publish in my newsletter. Maybe my expectations were too high? If this horseshed continues, I will leave it with you. No harm, no foul.

(1.) If you mullets will mind your manners, and provide thoughtful input, I will be the first to buy you a beer before a UTEP home football game this autumn. I am such a pigeon that way.

Picks up and viva Miners. Am increasingly convinced I am the wrong guy, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Anybody who does not understand the sentiment expressed here can mow my lawn.
Not real sure what '66 has up his ars, but it's gone all the way up inside his cranium and he appears to be spurting bubbles.

Reactions: MinerJo
Yes, I'm a bitchy old man, but honestly folks, ANYONE using the same lines/excuses annoys me. This would include myself too. I have been called on the carpet numerous times over the years for saying the same things over and over again. I don't get butthurt, I fix me. (or try to)
Don't take it wrong, just stop repeating yourself.

Enjoy your day, I just had my coffee and it's time to be semi productive. (I will read twitter all day tho...ha)

Yes, I'm a bitchy old man, but honestly folks, ANYONE using the same lines/excuses annoys me. This would include myself too. I have been called on the carpet numerous times over the years for saying the same things over and over again. I don't get butthurt, I fix me. (or try to)
Don't take it wrong, just stop repeating yourself.

Enjoy your day, I just had my coffee and it's time to be semi productive. (I will read twitter all day tho...ha)

You and I both are annoyed by the wrong stuff. I am always deeply appreciative and totally receptive to unsolicited instructions from a total stranger. Always. And forever.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
What's up with these TROLLS!!! You who post negative info here are a bunch of TROLLS that should be posting somewhere else. That is the reason we don’t progress here in El Paso and at UTEP. You all are very negative, and our moderator should put a stop to these TROLLS that are out of control. I want to know what is happening here as far as recruiting, miner football and how well the coaches are doing trying to get us the best talent. I think this has been happening to long and some of you who post negative info should look at what is happening in your life before you start to criticize other posters. I think it is same people who have a chip on their shoulders or some type of trauma that has happen in their lives, that has made them angry and so pessimistic. You TROLLS are hijacking our boards and you need to leave and spew your hatred somewhere else. You all have each other's email, why dont you just send each other a message that is outside of this board. Moderator please help!!!!!!!

What's up with these TROLLS!!! You who post negative info here are a bunch of TROLLS that should be posting somewhere else. That is the reason we don’t progress here in El Paso and at UTEP.

You're right. UTEP hasn't won a bowl game since 1967 and hasn't won a game in the Big Dance since 1992 because of negative comments on message boards. :rolleyes:

It’s a vibrant newsletter with a fresh perspective on UTEP athletics. Thank you for my copy. I recommend every Miner fan to sign up for it.
Enjoyed the newsletter.Thank you Hewore 62. Wish I had your talent with words.

Fellow posters, I am more than happy to send you Miners Are Forever newsletter, at no charge. It is not interactive, as we have here, so it does not represent competition with this site, or any other. Rather, MAF reads more like a traditional magazine, focused entirely on UTEP athletics. Stuff you will not find anywhere else.

To get us back on topic here ... I cover UTEP recruiting, all right, but not through social media. Instead, I rely on scouts and other high-value sources who trust me with nuggets not available elsewhere. They know I tend to view our program with a set of clear eyes, but they also know I would never knowingly damage my alma mater.

As a magazine-style publisher, I do not chase recruits on a player-by-player basis, but rather, from an overview standpoint. UTEP's most immediate needs, by position (LB) ... number of scholarships to give ... academic progress/troubles ... future schedules et al. To sign up:

<mark.mcmarketing@gmail.com>

Caveat: I don't get into spit-fights with juveniles. As a season ticket holder, ex-letterman and training camp observer with good sources, I try to cover the Miners with a healthy, upbeat approach. Then I share with my readers. (Sometimes the Miners test our loyalty)

If this is your cup of joe, join me.

Trolls need not apply.

Watched Van Arden's highlights, which are just that -- highlights. But from this small sample size, Helen Keller could see this kid's size-speed ratio.

For UTEP and the aggressive new coaching staff, this would represent a good git.

Can we get this prospect to visit? If so, El Paso and UTEP can make a positive impression, not just on this prospect, but with any open-minded recruit who gives us an honest look.

For a Fullback that kid plays like a giant HB. Looks like he relies on speed/cut backs as opposed to running people over like a classic FB. Looks really good.

For a Fullback that kid plays like a giant HB. Looks like he relies on speed/cut backs as opposed to running people over like a classic FB. Looks really good.
Again, highlights can be deceiving, this kid looks like a bruiser with speed. Those poor high school opponents appear to be trying to tackle Jim Brown.

But that kid isn’t running like he’s Mike Alstott or Craig Ironhead Heyward either. I wonder if UTEP would use him as a lead or as a bruiser RB.

Miners are Forever is a must read for all genuine Miner fans. He contributes a lot of knowledge, time, interesting topics and real Miner orange into his dialogue. Ask 62 to add you to his list.

For what it's worth, this Powell kid is a 6-1, 175-pound ATH in class of 2019, after transferring this spring to Odessa Permian from private Midland Christian School. If memory serves, he's related to Roy Williams, the former Texas Longhorn who played in the NFL.

UTEP should consider putting the Miners starting center Derron Gatewood on the case. Derron, too, is a Permian product, two-year starter and a good kid well on his way to graduating.

Surprised Texas Tech is not sniffing around, looking to move Powell to DB.
It looks like Texas is onto him also. They offered him yesterday.

Fellow posters, I am more than happy to send you Miners Are Forever newsletter, at no charge. It is not interactive, as we have here, so it does not represent competition with this site, or any other. Rather, MAF reads more like a traditional magazine, focused entirely on UTEP athletics. Stuff you will not find anywhere else.

To get us back on topic here ... I cover UTEP recruiting, all right, but not through social media. Instead, I rely on scouts and other high-value sources who trust me with nuggets not available elsewhere. They know I tend to view our program with a set of clear eyes, but they also know I would never knowingly damage my alma mater.

As a magazine-style publisher, I do not chase recruits on a player-by-player basis, but rather, from an overview standpoint. UTEP's most immediate needs, by position (LB) ... number of scholarships to give ... academic progress/troubles ... future schedules et al. To sign up:

Caveat: I don't get into spit-fights with juveniles. As a season ticket holder, ex-letterman and training camp observer with good sources, I try to cover the Miners with a healthy, upbeat approach. Then I share with my readers. (Sometimes the Miners test our loyalty)

Trolls need not apply.

Really enjoying your news letter. Thanks for putting that together. Looking forward to the next issue.

During Nord’s and Price’s successful seasons people showed up after UTEP won some games. Not so much during the Kugler lone winning season. If UTEP is going to beat NAU and NMSU they will need a big home field advantage.

Trolls need not apply.

What will we get from newsletter that we dont already get from here?

What will we get from newsletter that we dont already get from here?

"I cover UTEP recruiting, all right, but not through social media. Instead, I rely on scouts and other high-value sources who trust me with nuggets not available elsewhere. They know I tend to view our program with a set of clear eyes, but they also know I would never knowingly damage my alma mater."

Better info than what's on here. Looks like Miner In Wisconsin and a few others enjoyed reading his magazine, for free of course.

Reactions: Lil_Train
To date, about 20 posters from this site have requested to be added to go-list. Free of charge.

No competition for Miner Illustrated, because it's not fully interactive. I do, however, cover recruiting, signing days and trend stories. Also publish letters to the editor. Stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Miners Are Forever looks, feels and functions more like a magazine, full of UTEP features. Your ticket: <mark.mcmarketing@gmail.com>

To date, about 20 posters from this site have requested to be added to go-list. Free of charge.

No competition for Miner Illustrated, because it's not fully interactive. I do, however, cover recruiting, signing days and trend stories. Also publish letters to the editor. Stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Miners Are Forever looks, feels and functions more like a magazine, full of UTEP features. Your ticket: <mark.mcmarketing@gmail.com>
Sign me up!:D I need good sources to start my day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT