ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Zach Zimos. Tumble that name on your tongue. Our radio voice Jon Teicher will eat that one with a spoon.

Zach's name is so kool, it reads like something out of an old youth sports novel -- which I devoured like a 10-year-old possessed. Bring it on, kid.

Bigwood, coming in stronnnng with that reality check. Too funny about heights and weights.

Basketball players are notorious for going the opposite way from you, Roy. They punch up their data, sometimes in a comical way. Remember our Cedric Lang, listed at 6-9. NFL scouts measured him at 6-7 1/4.

As a prospect in the minor leagues, Jose Altuve, I hear, was promoted as standing 5-10. We all know he is more like 5-7.

In his day, Charles Barkley was variously listed at 6-6, 6-7. He's more like 6-5.

That's why I always wonder about these young prospects and recruits. Are we getting heights and weights anywhere NEARLY accurate?

A couple exceptions: The mid-1980s SMU big named Jon Koncak. He was listed at 7-0. Totally legit. He might have been 7-1.

Today, go stand next to David Robinson. The Admiral is not only a true 6-11, maybe 7-0, but the cat is shredded. He's got arms like legs.

Baseball? So expensive to field a team these days. UTEP's team fell victim, in part, to Title IX. The wrestling program, a blast to follow, died, too. But, man, I loved UTEP baseball.

No football workout. A spring afternoon at Dudley Field. Sid Cohen, falling asleep on the bench during games. There were days (rare as they may be) when the Miners would give the conference powerhouses, Arizona and Arizona State, all they wanted.

Stop by the office some day. I'll show you how to hit .190, with warning track power.
Mark...It's great to have you on the board. You add so much class, reason and
worthwhile contributions. Where have you been all these years and why the sudden interest. In another post, you mentioned Dallas area fans enjoying beating up on UNT. I too am a Dallas resident and I have also enjoyed whippin up on SMU at Moody. Those were the good old days.

Mark...It's great to have you on the board. You add so much class, reason and
worthwhile contributions. Where have you been all these years and why the sudden interest. In another post, you mentioned Dallas area fans enjoying beating up on UNT. I too am a Dallas resident and I have also enjoyed whippin up on SMU at Moody. Those were the good old days.

One of my favorite UTEP road games was easing into Ford Stadium, and watching the Miners under Coach Mike Price rally in the fourth quarter to beat a fairly decent SMU team. Nobody had more fun than this guy.

Coach Dimel has assigned energetic assistants to cover the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Don't be surprised if we slip a recruit or two out of there, kids who could play just about anywhere but chose Oxford on the Interstate.

Last edited:
Loving the Texas recruiting efforts, hope to see UTEP's roster flooded with Houston prospects, anyone last time we offered this many Texas kids from Houston, Austin, and Dallas?

One of my favorite UTEP road games was easing into Ford Stadium, and watching the Miners under Coach Mike Price rally in the fourth quarter to beat a fairly decent SMU team. Nobody had more fun than this guy.

Coach Dimel has assigned energetic assistants to cover the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Don't be surprised if we slip a recruit or two out of there, kids who could play just about anywhere but chose Oxford on the Interstate.

Oxford on the interstate? I always thought it was the “Harvard on the border.” In fact, I was wearing a Utep shirt one time in D.C. and someone shouted out the same thing to me.

Reactions: HeWore62
Oxford on the interstate? I always thought it was the “Harvard on the border.” In fact, I was wearing a Utep shirt one time in D.C. and someone shouted out the same thing to me.
I think it was "Harvard on The Rio Grande"

This recruit's sixth D-1 offer ... UTEP might not sign this kid, but at least the new staff is hunting big game, hunting where the big game lives.

I get the sense the Dana Dimel staff pursues loftier recruiting goals. It follows, these new coaches (new only to UTEP) realize a little rejection is inevitable -- and they sleep just fine with it.

This gets me jazzed. UTEP staff, not messing around, taking a home run swing on a sophomore, in class of 2020.

I know nothing about this kid, and he may wind up going to Alabama, or never playing a down of college football. ? Quien sabe?

What we DO know is first impressions are lasting, and UTEP has posted its flag. This is different, gang. Miners are serving notice. Looking ahead, UTEP must be taken seriously. Love it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This gets me jazzed. UTEP staff, not messing around, taking a home run swing on a sophomore, in class of 2020.

I know nothing about this kid, and he may wind up going to Alabama, or never playing a down of college football. ? Quien sabe?

What we DO know is first impressions are lasting, and UTEP has posted its flag. This is different, gang. Miners are serving notice. Looking ahead, UTEP must be taken seriously. Love it.
Common tactic for new new FBS coaches. Swing high for high calilber players who may not come to your mid major. However, if they fail to qualify, have an injury or whatever that may keep power programs away it's a nice ace in the sleeve to pull out come senior fall or spring.

I'll never forget a Price interview his first or second year at UTEP when he was after a highly sought after Houston/Galveston recruit. He introduced himself as the head coach and said he was from UTEP. The recruit asked back "What's a UTEP?". LOL!

Common tactic for new new FBS coaches. Swing high for high calilber players who may not come to your mid major. However, if they fail to qualify, have an injury or whatever that may keep power programs away it's a nice ace in the sleeve to pull out come senior fall or spring.
I wonder why Kugler never used that tactic.

I wonder why Kugler never used that tactic.

Not entirely sure why, JCorona, but the Kugler staff chose to delay their offers as long as possible. One of his former assistants once told me UTEP kept its offers a secret, so as not to alert rival recruiters. The RB from Kennedale, Quardraiz Wadley, was a case in point.

I was told once Wadley declared for UTEP, a number of other D-1 schools dived at him, including Colorado State and others.

Still, I tend to favor this new approach. Get on the good ones early. Sure, UTEP will lose a few recruiting battles. Notre Dame does, too. Nobody signs them all. But I feel good about the Dimel staff throwing pitches at high-quality prospects.

Last edited:
Dimmel and his staff have way more rectruiting experience recruiting than the previous staff. They understand you have to offer these kids and be loyal thorough out the process. Yeah, you won’t win them all but that is a better process than offering kids at the last second. You have to be settling for some players if that’s your M.O.

The only player I can think of that was offered early by Kugler was the Parkland RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT