ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Is someone going to redshirt? Maybe the Kid from N.Carolina redshirts or maybe this kid Jones redshirts? Just seems it would be a waste of a year since this would be the 6th QB. Maybe someone left?
Pointed question, well taken. Lots of QBs on this roster, including senior Ryan Metz and a cast of other good athletes with less D-1 starting experience.

One football.

Training camp in Ruidoso, N.M. could be a dirt clod fight, among leading candidates. Somebody tell me what is fixing to happen?

Is someone going to redshirt? Maybe the Kid from N.Carolina redshirts or maybe this kid Jones redshirts? Just seems it would be a waste of a year since this would be the 6th QB. Maybe someone left?
If no one has left then we have 7 QB's on the roster counting Brandon Jones: Metz, Locksley, Torrez, Fernandez, Brownholtz, and Hawkins.

Reactions: develman
If no one has left then we have 7 QB's on the roster counting Brandon Jones: Metz, Locksley, Torrez, Fernandez, Brownholtz, and Hawkins.
Pistol offense begins and ends with qb and now CD has a plethora of a good problem. One or two will transfer or be reassigned to different positions.

Pistol offense begins and ends with qb and now CD has a plethora of a good problem. One or two will transfer or be reassigned to different positions.

Question: who could you assign to a different position? Torrez has some athleticism and he was a decent runner in HS, but I don’t know if he is big enough to take a beating at another position. Jones and Hawkins should be shoo ins since they were recruited by this staff.

I don’t know if we should read between the lines but there are a couple of QBs not here with the coach.

Question: who could you assign to a different position? Torrez has some athleticism and he was a decent runner in HS, but I don’t know if he is big enough to take a beating at another position. Jones and Hawkins should be shoo ins since they were recruited by this staff.

I don’t know if we should read between the lines but there are a couple of QBs not here with the coach.
Is this guy in that picture?

http://krod.com/utep-quarterback-calvin-brownholtz-works-out-with-jordan-palmer/

No, Brownholtz is not in that picture.

I also think that before we read too much into Jordan Palmer’s tweet endorsement of Brownholtz(like Kappy did), let’s not forget that Jordan Palmer also tweet endorsed Zach Greenlee in a very similar fashion, when Greenlee transferred to UTEP.......and that didn’t work out so well:

“Greenlee got a big virtual endorsement as former UTEP quarterback, and Elite 11 QB consultant Jordan Palmer gave his blessing on Twitter. Palmer mentored Greenlee during the Elite 11 experience”

https://www.minerrush.com/2016/6/6/...-zack-greenlee-arrives-in-el-paso-for-another

Reactions: HeWore62

I also think that before we read too much into Jordan Palmer’s tweet endorsement of Brownholtz(like Kappy did), let’s not forget that Jordan Palmer also tweet endorsed Zach Greenlee in a very similar fashion, when Greenlee transferred to UTEP.......and that didn’t work out so well:

“Greenlee got a big virtual endorsement as former UTEP quarterback, and Elite 11 QB consultant Jordan Palmer gave his blessing on Twitter. Palmer mentored Greenlee during the Elite 11 experience”

https://www.minerrush.com/2016/6/6/...-zack-greenlee-arrives-in-el-paso-for-another
Another reminder in the same vein: When Greenlee transferred from Fresno, with two years of eligibility left, he was formerly a starter who had a brush with the local cops. Drinking after a defeat, at home. Fresno made no move to stop his transfer.

Do you think a big reason why he failed here was Kugler’s offensive schemes and lack of threats at wideout? I thought he did better under Price.

Do you think a big reason why he failed here was Kugler’s offensive schemes and lack of threats at wideout? I thought he did better under Price.

Greenlee couldn't remain the starting Quarterback at 2 different schools, under 2 different coaching staff's. He never had the ability at either Fresno State or UTEP to take full ownership of a starting QB role.

Certainly Kugler's poor offensive system and lack of surrounding talent didn't help Greenlee, but honestly would you feel any better about Greenlee if he was returning to play next year under Dimel's system? I wouldn't.

Brownholtz was considered a huge reach from the moment that Brent Pease started recruiting him. Brownholtz had zero D1 offers. Only UTEP offered him and we did it as a gray shirt. I hate to sound negative, but I am cautious about Jordan Palmer(and subsequently Kappy) making noise over a player who is arguably our 6th best quarterback....he might even now be our 7th best quarterback after the Jones announcement. I guess time will tell.

Those factors you point out -- offensive schemes and slow-poke wide receivers -- definitely were negatives for ALL Miners QBs, not just Greenlee.

By the way I really like that hashtag the football staff came up with. #str1ke9old. So much better than #minerstrong and #weareminers

I also think it includes a hidden message that we are due for a big surprise in 2019. #NCAA&Bowl

Greenlee also has some serious accuracy issues. Remember he got benched at Fresno for throwing too many INTs? And he was worse while throwing on the run.

No, I think he never recovered from a shoulder injury he suffered in camp that year. He tried to make it work but his accuracy was awful that first year. Metz just outplayed him after that.

Torrez may have to transfer if he wants to play.

Reactions: minerfan_14
You may be right? Also, what about Fernandez? He has the height, but this staff has brought in 3 QBs to compete for the job so I think that he faces some long odds as well.

I would think all of the incoming freshmen QBs will redshirt. It is very rare that a freshmen QB sees the field unless he is a big time recruit or the team loses multiple players to injury.

Reactions: utep2step
From peewees to the Alabama as the pinnacle of D-1, every roster will have one happy QB. One only. All the backups will be itchy, thinking they should get more PT.

{if they're satisfied to sit, you know they're not competitors, and you don't want them on your roster any way}

Prepare for an exodus of surplus QBs to transfer out, probably at the end of the autumn semester, in December, before spring ball.

No surprise, if you're watching national trends. The lefty QB from Hawaii said he was going to leave Bama if he had not gotten to play in the playoff final vs. Georgia.

Sean Kugler's overall retention rate was far above average, but given what we know now, keeping every player was not necessarily a plus. The forthcoming position flush may be healthy for the program.

Think of it as pruning a rose bush, inspiring the plant to bloom and promote growth.

{whewww, good grief ... need to stand down after that one ... anybody got an aspirin?}

Highlights show Camron Johnson was not playing high school football. He was abusing children, and taking their Halloween candy.

Flexible, good feet. Feed this guy, lock him in the weight room, coach him up, then turn him loose on Saturdays ... this prospect might be one of those Derron Gatewood-types who redshirts, then plays a lot of D-1 football.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
This Camron Johnson kid was not playing high school football. He was abusing children, and taking their Halloween candy.

Flexible, good feet. Feed this guy, lock him in the weight room, coach him up, then turn him loose on Saturdays ... this prospect might be one of those Derron Gatewood-types who redshirts, then plays a lot of D-1 football.

That’s QB was hitting some deep passes and running around pretty good too. That caught my eye.

Reactions: HeWore62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT