ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Good players tend to gravitate to other good players. What's a stronger pull than positive comments of athletes on the roster? Answer: A woman in love.

If not already mentioned, we just signed a 2018 interior lineman, Andrew Meyer 6'3" 285lbs out of California. He just decomitted from Air Force citing "dishonesty".

Reactions: Rot and HeWore62
If not already mentioned, we just signed a 2018 interior lineman, Andrew Meyer 6'3" 285lbs out of California. He just decomitted from Air Force citing "dishonesty".

Saw that.

I’m guessing, since he aired that publicly, the dishonesty came from the side of the AFA, at least according to the kid. Wonder what that was about.

Last edited:
Does this mean Andrew Meyer was given a release from his 2018 letter of intent? Maybe that's where the charge of "dishonesty" arose? Eeesh. Little of that rhetoric goes a long way, and we can be sure there are two sides to that story. Then again, maybe it's not a story at all.

This we know: The fact Air Force was on this prospect means the kid can find his way to the school library. The Academy does not recruit mouth-breathers.

Here's hoping the kid will take the high road, as in Glory Road. Come to UTEP, fella, dive into your academics and dig into this new football program, and reap the multiple benefits.

All up to you, young fella.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmanminer
OT since it’s not UTEP recruiting but it does involve a personal matter for our best recruit.

Reactions: HeWore62
It seems like this staff is offering players (a ton of them) a lot earlier than we saw under Kugler. I love it. These guys are putting a lot of effort in on the road. I know this will pay off come signing day.

Reactions: EPTUTEP

Who can be your best recruiters?

Answer: Players in your own locker room.

Powerful stuff, the posts from Kai Locksley.

Be mindful that football prospects can start taking official visits this summer, earlier than ever. We could already be seeing the impact of the new sped-up timetable, as mandated by the NCAA.

We all should take note of this spring activity, as it could raise eyebrows, give UTEP a much-needed boost in branding and, who knows?, it might spark a little flurry of "me-too."

But to be fair, Kugler and his staff did not operate under this new accelerated recruiting calendar, with one national signing window in December, followed by the traditional early-February date.

Who can be your best recruiters?

Answer: Players in your own locker room.

Powerful stuff, the posts from Kai Locksley.

Be mindful that football prospects can start taking official visits this summer, earlier than ever. We could already be seeing the impact of the new sped-up timetable, as mandated by the NCAA.

We all should take note of this spring activity, as it could raise eyebrows, give UTEP a much-needed boost in branding and, who knows?, it might spark a little flurry of "me-too."

But to be fair, Kugler and his staff did not operate under this new accelerated recruiting calendar, with one national signing window in December, followed by the traditional early-February date.
Are you Robby Felix?

Reactions: JCorona
Let me help you Miners in this guessing game:

Mark S. McDonald Sr.
O-lineman from Midland Lee
Recruiting class of 1968
Starter 1970-71 seasons under Bobby Dobbs
B.A. (journalism) 1972

You could look it up. Go ahead. It's all a matter of public record.

One tidbit of inaccuracy in the old rosters for press guides and game programs. I fudged on my playing weight.

Student managers would come around, asking for my body weight, so they could relay it to sports information. I always under-played it by 15-20 pounds, hoping opponents would be dismissive and take me (us) lightly. Instead of the sleight-of-hand, what I really needed was more talent.

Later I covered sports from various newsrooms: El Paso Times, Abilene Reporter-News, Dallas Times Herald (R.I.P.), Dallas Morning News, San Antonio Express-News. To this day, I do an independent quarterly newsletter on UTEP athletics called Miners Are Forever. I doubt it conflicts with the standards set forth by our host. After all, it's not interactive, but a digital magazine ... and it's free of charge.

Now, perhaps you know why I chuckle at "smell a rat" inferences. Not many guys come to the UTEP message board, or any other, with my background. I yield this information with hopes of someday meeting you Miners followers, perhaps at a home football game this upcoming season?

Now that you know more about me than I might ever know about you, can we get back on track?

Mark S. McDonald Sr.
Recruiting class of 1968
B.A. (journalism) 1972

One tidbit of inaccuracy in the old rosters for press guides and game programs. I fudged on my playing weight.

Student managers would come around, asking for my body weight, so they could relay it to sports information. I always under-played it by 15-20 pounds, hoping opponents would be dismissive and take me (us) lightly. Instead of the sleight-of-hand, what I really needed was more talent.

Later I covered sports from various newsrooms: El Paso Times, Abilene Reporter-News, Dallas Times Herald (R.I.P.), Dallas Morning News, San Antonio Express-News. To this day, I do an independent quarterly newsletter on UTEP athletics called Miners Are Forever. I doubt it conflicts with the standards set forth by our host. After all, it's not interactive, but a digital magazine ... and it's free of charge.

Now, perhaps you know why I chuckle at "smell a rat" inferences. Not many guys come to the UTEP message board, or any other, with my background. I yield this information with hopes of someday meeting you Miners followers, perhaps at a home football game this upcoming season?

Now that you know more about me than I might ever know about you, can we get back on track?
Thank you for sharing that with the board. If you decide to travel 300 Miles east to catch the Miners on the road I would be happy to meet you for some drinks. I’ve learned the hard way not to post any private information on here because there is a certain member(s) who will use that against you. When we meet I’ll tell you all about myself in person.

Mark S. McDonald Sr.
Recruiting class of 1968
B.A. (journalism) 1972

LOL AWESOME!

Everyone lies on their roster height/weight, my college baseball roster listed me as 6'2, 215, and I was like 5'11, and 230.

And I agree when you said the early offers could start a chain reaction, Dimel hired some above average recruiters on the national level scope, so I totally agree about the impact of these early offers mixed with the new signing periods.

Would love to see UTEP sign a minimum 15 guys in the early period, or more (keeping it real), interesting to see how that plays out since Kugs left and basically stopped recruiting in late August of last year in the first year of the December period.

I'm so green at this activity, I cannot anticipate what you have already experienced.

Interesting dynamic with these message board posters. I participate because I seek input and new perspective (legit) for my newsletter. Simple as that. I cannot figure what motivates others.

Years ago, I participated in a message board for avid bow hunters. Users tolerated zero b.s. and trolling, so I didn't even know what it was. Participants there could trade emails by clicking on a button that would take the user off-board. I know of no such feature here.

I know a few hardcore Miners in the D-FW area who love it when we come to town and bushwhack North Texas. How would I send you my email address, without creating problems downstream?

LOL AWESOME!

Everyone lies on their roster height/weight, my college baseball roster listed me as 6'2, 215, and I was like 5'11, and 230.

And I agree when you said the early offers could start a chain reaction, Dimel hired some above average recruiters on the national level scope, so I totally agree about the impact of these early offers mixed with the new signing periods.

Would love to see UTEP sign a minimum 15 guys in the early period, or more (keeping it real), interesting to see how that plays out since Kugs left and basically stopped recruiting in late August of last year in the first year of the December period.

Bigwood, coming in stronnnng with that reality check. Too funny about heights and weights.

Basketball players are notorious for going the opposite way from you, Roy. They punch up their data, sometimes in a comical way. Remember our Cedric Lang, listed at 6-9. NFL scouts measured him at 6-7 1/4.

As a prospect in the minor leagues, Jose Altuve, I hear, was promoted as standing 5-10. We all know he is more like 5-7.

In his day, Charles Barkley was variously listed at 6-6, 6-7. He's more like 6-5.

That's why I always wonder about these young prospects and recruits. Are we getting heights and weights anywhere NEARLY accurate?

A couple exceptions: The mid-1980s SMU big named Jon Koncak. He was listed at 7-0. Totally legit. He might have been 7-1.

Today, go stand next to David Robinson. The Admiral is not only a true 6-11, maybe 7-0, but the cat is shredded. He's got arms like legs.

Baseball? So expensive to field a team these days. UTEP's team fell victim, in part, to Title IX. The wrestling program, a blast to follow, died, too. But, man, I loved UTEP baseball.

No football workout. A spring afternoon at Dudley Field. Sid Cohen, falling asleep on the bench during games. There were days (rare as they may be) when the Miners would give the conference powerhouses, Arizona and Arizona State, all they wanted.

Stop by the office some day. I'll show you how to hit .190, with warning track power.

I'm so green at this activity, I cannot anticipate what you have already experienced.

Interesting dynamic with these message board posters. I participate because I seek input and new perspective (legit) for my newsletter. Simple as that. I cannot figure what motivates others.

Years ago, I participated in a message board for avid bow hunters. Users tolerated zero b.s. and trolling, so I didn't even know what it was. Participants there could trade emails by clicking on a button that would take the user off-board. I know of no such feature here.

I know a few hardcore Miners in the D-FW area who love it when we come to town and bushwhack North Texas. How would I send you my email address, without creating problems downstream?
Try following me on here. It’s the same steps as ignoring someone but of course click on the “follow” button.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT