ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I’ve noticed a lot of commitments from the CenTex area in this class. We should have a big group of UTEP fans at Texas Memorial Stadium next year when we play Texas.

Reactions: HeWore62
Funny how we were supposed to announce our class as a team but let the kids announce it themselves before the date. Not complaining, since we get to see our class shape up before hand, but doesn't make sense

I am wondering why Hayes is not more heavily recruited? He looks quick and productive, he was still getting sacks on the last 2 plays of his 5 1/2 minute Senior year highlight video. He had a number of JUCO offers, so this pure speculation, but is it possible that he will be a greyshirt?

Dimel heavily recruited the O-line last year and this year he appears to be focused on recruiting a D-line. He seems to be getting some guys who can get after the QB, which has been an area of need for us for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff28
Funny how we were supposed to announce our class as a team but let the kids announce it themselves before the date. Not complaining, since we get to see our class shape up before hand, but doesn't make sense

I think the announcement made by the university is when the letters of intent are signed and submitted. That's when its official. These kids can say they are committed but it doesn't mean anything in until the paperwork is in. That my guess on the reasoning.

Utep needs to push hard to get mckel broussard. Thats an all american. Kids originally from New mexico and is clearly proud hes from there, utep can use the close to home argument lol. His other best offer is rice.... a high 3 star all american. Rice is the fav according to the experts. All predictions were made before the utep offer

Reactions: MINER.JAY

I think it has more to do with NCAA rules than anything else. They missed the early window announcement and I think the earliest they can announce in the next window is coming up

Well guess we'll see who signed in a few days. Hopefully we have some surprises on there for us too

247sports has now upgraded both Byers and Corner to 3 star players. So adding Brown means that we now currently have seven 3 star commits according to 247sports. From simply a star rating standpoint, this is shaping up to be our best recruiting class in a long time.

I remember a time when we had zero star players and fielded a far better team. Even went to a bowl game or two with zero star players. Those 3 star recruits sure are doing wonders for our program.

Okay, okay ... kickers are just that, kickers. But there are only a select number of positions that can score points for you. Unlike the previous regime, this Dimel staff is paying attention to that crucial aspect of the game.

Reactions: axingfools1
Looks like a good pick up. Had a pwo from tulsa and 2 quality d2 offers. Not bad for an fulkback/hback type of player.

I remember a time when we had zero star players and fielded a far better team. Even went to a bowl game or two with zero star players. Those 3 star recruits sure are doing wonders for our program.
The star system is certainly not an exact science. Some posters here have mentioned recent recruits being rated low but contributing more than others rated higher. I think the Dimel staff is changing the perception that UTEP can only recruit leftovers. This class will at least be the highest rated in quality since Price's last class in 2012. There also seems to be a correlation between Kugler's very low rated classes and the lack of success on the field. That may have mostly been due to coaching but not totally.

Frankly I'm surprised that Dimel and staff are recruiting as well as they are since the results last season did not send the signal that the staff is going to do great things. They did somewhat better as far as competitiveness but the win column is what counts in the end. Important season coming up.

Wilson Jr. doesn’t necessarily jump out on film, but he seems to be a decent addition. 247sports lists him as a 3 star with two Pac 12 offers(Utah and Washington State). He even took an official visit to Washington State last month, so the reported offers seem legit. He also appears to be a good student as he had an offer from Yale, so I would assume that qualifying won’t be an issue.

Our coaches have now pulled in two 3 star high school players from California this week. There has been a drop in the quality of our California recruits ever since we moved over to CUSA and we stopped playing the California schools in our own conference. Based on my research, this is the first year that we have signed multiple 3 star guys from California since 2006......which is 13 years ago!

If the current commits sign, then this year will also be the most 3 star guys that we have signed in a single class since 2012. Kugler signed a total of eight 3 star guys during his entire 5 years here. Dimel is already at eight 3 star players in just 2 years. If Armonie Brown gets added to the current commits, then we will have five 3 star players this year, all of them high school players.
More 3 stars and quite a few 2 star recruits that are very close to being 3 star.

Looks like a good pick up. Had a pwo from tulsa and 2 quality d2 offers. Not bad for an fulkback/hback type of player.
The recruits on offense are limited but pretty highly rated. Looks like the staff believes they are set with O-line, wr and rb.

UTEP has immensely improved and the future is bright with Locksley starting this year and Goodwin getting to redshirt this season and with Hankins red shirting this season the offense is going to dangerous with those two in the backfield adding Nwachukwu and Wolf being two targets to look after and our line is going to be special this recruiting class may have put a huge smile on Mike Cox's face because the defense is going to be special been saying it before and I will say it again we all need to be paitent with Dana Dimel and his staff they know what they are doing.

The recruits on offense are limited but pretty highly rated. Looks like the staff believes they are set with O-line, wr and rb.
If they can snab up mkel broussard it would make for a pretty dope class.... high 3 star all american.. utep competing with rice for him. Can play both sides of the ball

I was looking at all the offers we made and most of the recruits we lost were to other G5 schools. The coaches are being realistic with their approach. We did have a few that we lost to P5’s but for the most part we had a chance to land most of our offers. Once we start winning some games on the field vs those teams (UNT, UTSA, USM, Nevada, etc..) it should translate into wins in the recruiting battle.

Dimel and his staff did a good job, but the reality is now we will see how well the will develop all these freshman who will be sitting around for the next year or two, hard to keep up with 100 plus kids on a current active roster prepping them for games week in and week and out, then worry about 20 or so just going to classes and chasing broads and weed around campus for an entire calendar year. At least 18 (or more) of these cats will not see Glory Road Field until 2020 or 2021, I like the recruiting idea of greyshirts and blue shirts, next step is developing and getting these kids ready to contribute when they are called upon and not sucking where they lose interest and go back home or just drop school. Lots of pressure on the coaching staff now, I don't think as fans we notice these types of things but UTEP will have more than 120 kids in the "program" next year per say and will have to manage all of them well for this recruiting strategy to work out....but I love the strategy.

They also aren't done, I expect Dimel to hit the transfer market hard after graduation season, UTEP still didn't address RB, or WR spots for 2019 and an experience O-lineman, they did a great job of recruiting defense with Broussard and some good sized LB's and DL's, I like all of our defense recruits.

We're still gonna suck balls next year, but I like Dimel's long term thinking with this class, great strategy and they executed with some quality, and not just bodies like our buddy Kugs did. There's seems to be some small hope for the future, but Dimel still has mad work to do.

Dimel and his staff did a good job, but the reality is now we will see how well the will develop all these freshman who will be sitting around for the next year or two, hard to keep up with 100 plus kids on a current active roster prepping them for games week in and week and out, then worry about 20 or so just going to classes and chasing broads and weed around campus for an entire calendar year. At least 18 (or more) of these cats will not see Glory Road Field until 2020 or 2021, I like the recruiting idea of greyshirts and blue shirts, next step is developing and getting these kids ready to contribute when they are called upon and not sucking where they lose interest and go back home or just drop school. Lots of pressure on the coaching staff now, I don't think as fans we notice these types of things but UTEP will have more than 120 kids in the "program" next year per say and will have to manage all of them well for this recruiting strategy to work out....but I love the strategy.

They also aren't done, I expect Dimel to hit the transfer market hard after graduation season, UTEP still didn't address RB, or WR spots for 2019 and an experience O-lineman, they did a great job of recruiting defense with Broussard and some good sized LB's and DL's, I like all of our defense recruits.

We're still gonna suck balls next year, but I like Dimel's long term thinking with this class, great strategy and they executed with some quality, and not just bodies like our buddy Kugs did. There's seems to be some small hope for the future, but Dimel still has mad work to do.
That's the problem with fans and their attitude towards UTEP football. We have high expectations (dwindled the last few years thanks to Floyd) of basketball but not of football. UTEP football was in a lot of game last year and that was with a depleted roster due to injuries. Dimel said in December he was going after LB's and DB's that will be battle field ready and specifically was going after JUCO's (from his lips on the radio to my earbuds). Look for Joe Jay Smith to be mentioned often despite not getting the signing day accolades like Hankins or Mckel Broussard. This is another Dimel poaching job and an east coast poach away from North Carolina State who kept on Smith since he was a non-qualifier, went JUCO one year and somehow Dimel got him to come to UTEP. According to Rivals he held offers from NC State, Buffalo, Ohio, and Boston College.
750x422

Joe Jay Smith (MARK WOGENRICH / THE MORNING CALL.com) at early signing period.
His JUCO DB's are:
Miles Banks
Robert Corner III
Duron Lowe
Ty'reke James
Dy'Vonne Inyang
UTEP got burned a ton off the edge and down field (Rice game is best example). Dimel kept to his word.

Reactions: jdubb66 and Rot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT