ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I think the coaching staff should go all in on that transfer QB, I hope we can get him, former 3-star who chose Syracuse over Houston. Having Goodwin and this kid around for a few years gives UTEP one of the best QB rooms since Mike Price popped boners without a pill.

I think the Miners should go after O'Maury Samuels. He is a former 4 Star recruit at Michigan who was dismissed from the team after a domestic violence charge that was later dropped. He is from Los Lunas, NM.

Reactions: ZonaMiner
Another guy to go after is Hasson Hypolite who was a three star recruit from the state of Texas who plays safety for Colorado he was actually one of the first offers Dana Dimel made when he got here. Hopefully we see him here in the 915.

I think the Miners should go after O'Maury Samuels. He is a former 4 Star recruit at Michigan who was dismissed from the team after a domestic violence charge that was later dropped. He is from Los Lunas, NM.

I wouldn't. I'm all for second and even third chances (remember Fred Rouse? I think he got like four chances), however, Dimel needs to rebuild and as of right now he needs to do it with young men of character since fans around town are so down on the program right now and Dimel needs every inch of positive outcomes to bring them back.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...mestic-violence-michigan-football/2803706002/

I wouldn't. I'm all for second and even third chances (remember Fred Rouse? I think he got like four chances), however, Dimel needs to rebuild and as of right now he needs to do it with young men of character since fans around town are so down on the program right now and Dimel needs every inch of positive outcomes to bring them back.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...mestic-violence-michigan-football/2803706002/
Perhaps this will change your mind.
O_Maury_Samuels_-_Student_Sports.0.0.jpg

Reactions: utep-piggy

He grabbed a cell phone from a student and threw it on the ground and broke it. It is more of a stupid mistake that he learned from, than a character issue problem. Fans care more about winning right now than one young kid doing 1 stupid minor mistake.

Last edited:
He grabbed a cell phone from a student and threw it on the ground and broke it. It is more of a stupid mistake that he learned from, than a character issue problem. Fans care more about winning right now than one young kid doing 1 stupid minor mistake.
Young, dumb and the brain goes numb. Sadly, there is sometimes little room for error and obviously he was a poster child given the circumstances. Sucks, but he will be ok.

Dimel is on the hot seat that is still set at zero right now but if he doesn't show improvements Senter and UTEP football could be in hole hard to get of (just look at NMSU). Do it right with your kids, that you recruited and that you evaluated and what you believed was the right fit. If blue skies open up and things get more stable, then start handing out chance tickets, but until then, players like him will be welcomed at Sam Houston State.

Dimel is on the hot seat? pfft....Dude, you referring to a coach that took over a dumpster fire AND came in late. He's been here ONE year. His seat isn't near a flame yet. He goes O fer, then we can talk...

He is going to TRY to build us a program with good kids. We won't always agree with his picks, but let's give him a shot...

Young, dumb and the brain goes numb. Sadly, there is sometimes little room for error and obviously he was a poster child given the circumstances. Sucks, but he will be ok.

Dimel is on the hot seat that is still set at zero right now but if he doesn't show improvements Senter and UTEP football could be in hole hard to get of (just look at NMSU). Do it right with your kids, that you recruited and that you evaluated and what you believed was the right fit. If blue skies open up and things get more stable, then start handing out chance tickets, but until then, players like him will be welcomed at Sam Houston State.

I seriously doubt UTEP will fire/pay a buyout to Dimel after two years. There HAS TO be assurances that this was a 3 year job, at minimum and even then I could see him firing the O-Coordinator to calm the few die hard football fans that want blood.

These last two years have shown how far behind UTEP is in terms of talent and recruiting. You can’t fire this coach/staff because he didn’t turn around a 0-win team with high to mid level JV talent overnight.

Unless he pulls a Kugler on the field, he has to have 5 years. He got UTEP with D2 talent and it wont turn around in 1,2 or 3 years. He has to get players to El Paso who are D1 quality.

I seriously doubt UTEP will fire/pay a buyout to Dimel after two years. There HAS TO be assurances that this was a 3 year job, at minimum and even then I could see him firing the O-Coordinator to calm the few die hard football fans that want blood.

These last two years have shown how far behind UTEP is in terms of talent and recruiting. You can’t fire this coach/staff because he didn’t turn around a 0-win team with high to mid level JV talent overnight.
No, I meant the fans.

"A player like him" is going to get a 2nd chance at a G5 FBS school. He committed a misdemeanor for destruction of property of less than $200. When your program is one of the 3 worst programs in the country, you take chances on guys like Samuels. It's not like Dimel is reeling in players that are getting offers from top P5 programs. Fans want wins, more talent=more wins. Fans aren't going to give a crap about a team full of church choir boys that win 1 or 2 games a season.

"A player like him" is going to get a 2nd chance at a G5 FBS school. He committed a misdemeanor for destruction of property of less than $200. When your program is one of the 3 worst programs in the country, you take chances on guys like Samuels. It's not like Dimel is reeling in players that are getting offers from top P5 programs. Fans want wins, more talent=more wins. Fans aren't going to give a crap about a team full of church choir boys that win 1 or 2 games a season.
Agreed. That was a cheap phone!

Reactions: ZonaMiner
I don't disagree with you. Let me try from another angle by using FCS programs: NDSU vs SHSU
As per Wiki "The Bison have amassed a 725–372–34 (.656) record since 1894 and have won 15 National Championships, 7 as a member of Division I FCS, and 8 as a member of Division II. NDSU has won 34 Conference Championships, and only have 3 losing seasons since 1964". As of February they had a good recruiting season finding recruits in the midwest. They only got one from Texas. A qb from Iowa State transferred to NDSU last year but they stick to their play sheet.

As per Wiki "The Bearkats have 11 conference championships, and have seen post-season NCAA playoff action in six seasons, with back-to-back NCAA Division I Championship game appearances in 2011–2012.[3] Sam Houston State also has 3 bowl victories in four games, and one claimed National Championship from NAIA in the 1964 season". They have a great coach in K.C. Keeler and get FBS transfers from all over Texas (a football first state) and got one of UTEP top d lineman and CUSA All Freshman lineman.

If your NDSU, even at the FCS level, you can be extremely selective. That is impressive. Dimel has to get specific players for his "Run/Read" options attack and as we learned, if you don't have the right person in the right position, it does not work and not all rb's are suited for it. Second, I do not know if you hear the radio or read social media, but UTEP football is about as popular as the Central Appraisal District "Notice of Valuation" that just went out. If it was under $500 or over $50,000, it is a young man who was given a dream and made bad decisions, but he appears to have learned from it and is moving on. Now, pretend your Dimel. You need to ask "Do you promise to make good choices and avoid any, and I mean any, minor transgression no matter what it may be? I have a program I'm literally rebuilding and this town is losing patience and while it may not be Ann Arbor, this program is under a microscope; just go ask the basketball players. Can you commit?" IMO, no he can not.

In conclusion, win some game, then start going after top brass looking for redemption. You had players who committed to come here to help rebuild.

Yes I am am aware of the success of SHSU program. You make it seem like every "Player like him" has to go to down the FCS route when they get kicked off of a good FBS program. Most of them go to another FBS program. If he got charged with stealing a car and evading arrest, his only options would probably be at an FCS program. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, his incident with the phone is at a 1. I could compile a long list of players kicked off of an FBS program that got another chance at another FBS program.

Now, pretend your Dimel. You need to ask "Do you promise to make good choices and avoid any, and I mean any, minor transgression no matter what it may be? I have a program I'm literally rebuilding and this town is losing patience and while it may not be Ann Arbor, this program is under a microscope; just go ask the basketball players. Can you commit?" IMO, no he can not.
If I am Dimel I ask the kid if he learned from his mistake and if I have to worry about something like that happening again. If he answers yes to the first question and no to the second , then it works with me. Then I tell him, if you mess up again, you are gone. Simple. Like I said, fans are getting frustrated and losing patience with the program because of the results on the football field. They don't care if Dimel kicks a player off the team for character issues. Fans aren't going to be, oh crap Dimel had a player on the team with questionable character, I am done with the supporting the program. Fans are giving up on the program because the program is one of worst programs in college football. Our last victory in the Sun Bowl was 11/26/2016. This is the kind of stuff that contributes to fans giving up on the program. If Dimel is smart, he is going to take chances on "Players like him" to get us out of this mess.

Reactions: axingfools1
Perhaps this will change your mind.
O_Maury_Samuels_-_Student_Sports.0.0.jpg
I give up. I am going to give Coach Dimel my support. He is a nice man, good family man and while he doesn't have a mid major resume that goes *pop* (as a head coach) when you look at it, he has a ton of experience, especially when a program literally hits rock bottom because he was there with Snyder, rebuilding a laughable K State program as a graduate assistant; so I trust his better judgement. Maybe Dimel needs a slot back?

Reactions: jdubb66
After watching the lack of WR talent in the spring scrimmage, surprised UTEP didn't go full court press for a former local star, another backwards K for Dimel and his staff, he should be a Miner IMO....

After watching the lack of WR talent in the spring scrimmage, surprised UTEP didn't go full court press for a former local star, another backwards K for Dimel and his staff, he should be a Miner IMO....

Well, he only saw limited time as a freshman used mainly on special teams. Maybe this dude set his bar higher than UTEP? Maybe he thinks he's too good to be here? Maybe he doesn't want to play in his hometown?
MAYBE he's not as good as he thinks? Maybe our current staff sees more upside with our current guys?
Maybe I don't have a clue. Maybe you don't.

To say he should be a Miner is reaching. Based on his lack of stats and the fact he left after a year does not get me all excited....at.....all... He might have told someone somewhere that he'd never play in El Paso, therefore the staff didn't chase. OOOORRRRRRR Maybe they did pursue him and he said GTFOH.

We tend to over react, no?

Well, he only saw limited time as a freshman used mainly on special teams. Maybe this dude set his bar higher than UTEP? Maybe he thinks he's too good to be here? Maybe he doesn't want to play in his hometown?
MAYBE he's not as good as he thinks? Maybe our current staff sees more upside with our current guys?
Maybe I don't have a clue. Maybe you don't.

To say he should be a Miner is reaching. Based on his lack of stats and the fact he left after a year does not get me all excited....at.....all... He might have told someone somewhere that he'd never play in El Paso, therefore the staff didn't chase. OOOORRRRRRR Maybe they did pursue him and he said GTFOH.

We tend to over react, no?
All that is true, but just saying, he's a better looking athlete than the WR's we currently have on the depth chart, would he be an instant starter and productive player? probably not but I'd think his upside and hunger would be high...a former 3-star who had multiple P5 offers is better than what we have on the roster right now in my opinion. We need talent and athletes, and are not in a position to just turn the other way especially when the kid played HS ball here.

I see what you're saying bro, you make great points, but we also need to realize some FCS schools have a better WR corps than we do right now, our best WR right now is a walk on who went to El Paso High.

I dunno. Local media and others say Tre Wolf is turning heads and hopefully Sinegal can step up and show how good he is after having a promising freshman year, but only if A) our line holds and B) KL works on his accuracy and stops staring down his receiver.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Here is the thing on our receiving corps we got some guys who could do great things. If I were to pick a #1 receiver it would be Keynan Foster because of his speed and his ability to make catches happen. Guys I would have at outside portions would be Alan Busey and Treshon Wolf, Dimel is a big fan of Busey and sees very high potential in him. Now on Sinegal he is a guy who could be used in the red zone along with Andrew Nwachukwu and Kavika Johnson who do not have great speed however can jump up to get the football over defenders. BTW Nwachukwu no longer shows up on the roster website maybe Bigwood may know something about that. However, I hear Dimel is grooming Jonathan Patrick to fill into Keynan Foster's position when he is gone another to look at is Justin Garrett who had a great spring ball this past year. On another note look for all the incoming receivers to redshirt this upcoming season.

I'm telling you, Keynan Foster is the second coming of Johnny Lee Higgins. If we can just get the ball to him.

That’s some loft expectations. I remember when he had 233 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns vs NMSU in ‘06. Never seen a WR like that in my time as a Miner fan aside from 2000 Lee Mays.

Reactions: jdubb66
That’s some loft expectations. I remember when he had 233 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns vs NMSU in ‘06. Never seen a WR like that in my time as a Miner fan aside from 2000 Lee Mays.
I watched Reggie Barret play in the 80s with Pat Haggerty. Just awesome. But all is contingent on a good quarterback.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT