ADVERTISEMENT

From Tom Herman’s press conference

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
- Chip asked the 2 of 3 things Herman feels best about and 2 to 3 biggest concerns: Feels great about -- starting QB, veteran offensive linemen (3 guys that have a lot of snaps under their belt), and the depth on the interior of the defensive line. Concerns -- lost two leading receivers, depth and consistency at linebacker has been a topic all offseason, making it through the season safely and diligently. The most interesting takeaway there is Herman's confidence in the depth along the line's interior. He's clearly as excited as hell about Alfred Collins and T'Vondre Sweat. We as fans and analysts have not been talking about interior DL depth as a true feature of what could set this Texas team apart, but Herman does get to see the team much more often than we do.

UT depth chart for UTEP game:

Texas-Depth-Chart-UTEP.jpg

Geoff Ketchum runs the UT premium Rivals board “Orangebloods.” Here’s his prediction:

diehard horn said:
We need to score over 50 in the first game and hold UTEP to no more than 10
(Sell) It's the first game. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas is in the 30s and UTEP scores a couple of touchdowns. Texas just needs to get the game played, win and show some improvement.

Geoff Ketchum runs the UT premium Rivals board “Orangebloods.” Here’s his prediction:

diehard horn said:
We need to score over 50 in the first game and hold UTEP to no more than 10
(Sell) It's the first game. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas is in the 30s and UTEP scores a couple of touchdowns. Texas just needs to get the game played, win and show some improvement.

Not trying to be a pessimist here, but the realist in me says no way in hell we hold UT in the 30s.

Ehlinger has 35 or so starts under his belt, Ingram totes the ball for 5.5 yards/carry in his two years, and the o line brings back 3 starters, I believe. It doesn’t even matter who their receivers are. It’s not like they’re schlubs. The offense is already a pretty well oiled machine.

I can see us putting anywhere from 10-17 pts on the board.

THEM - 55
US - 17 (The optimist in me):)

Not trying to be a pessimist here, but the realist in me says no way in hell we hold UT in the 30s.

Ehlinger has 35 or so starts under his belt, Ingram totes the ball for 5.5 yards/carry in his two years, and the o line brings back 3 starters, I believe. It doesn’t even matter who their receivers are. It’s not like they’re schlubs. The offense is already a pretty well oiled machine.

I can see us putting anywhere from 10-17 pts on the board.

THEM - 55
US - 17 (The optimist in me):)

I agree. Herman is sandbagging on his receivers like Jake Smith. Plus they have Rochon Johnson at RB who is a handful.

I could see this game being one where the backups come in and romp on an already tired Miner squad.

The -42.5 line seems about right to me.

Last season Texas beat La Tech 45-14 and LT went on to win 9 games plus a bowl win over Miami Hurricanes. A loss of 50-14 or so won't ruin the season. A loss closer than that might actually be somewhat encouraging.

Agree. The disparity in talent between UT and UTEP, both players and coaching staff, is so wide that this is just a game where we collect a big old fat check. That’s what we have to gain. I don’t think we’ll be able to tell much about our team from this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT