ADVERTISEMENT

Game plan at UTSA

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Offense: Run and attack the rim off inbounds and transition. Shoot more free throws. In the half court pound the paint. Get the ball to Williams deeper and have cutters when Williams is double teamed or gets the ball too far out on the baseline. Have some set plays for Edwards or Williams to shoot or for Edwards, Boum, Hawkins and Archie to drive. Finish at the rim instead of constantly kicking it out for 3s. Vila and Boum cut down on 3s (especially when we have the lead).

Continue to give the bench players some reasonable minutes. Keep everybody involved and play those who are deserving. Let Stroud play in the flow of the game (not just to force scoring). Get it to him in transition or set plays at the rim like an Ally Oop.

Defense: bring the effort early. Focus on shutting down Wallace and maybe consider switching on Jackson to see if it helps. Always protect the rim. Vila and Tydus block some shots!

Offense: Run and attack the rim off inbounds and transition. Shoot more free throws. In the half court pound the paint. Get the ball to Williams deeper and have cutters when Williams is double teamed or gets the ball too far out on the baseline. Have some set plays for Edwards or Williams to shoot or for Edwards, Boum, Hawkins and Archie to drive. Finish at the rim instead of constantly kicking it out for 3s. Vila and Boum cut down on 3s (especially when we have the lead).

Continue to give the bench players some reasonable minutes. Keep everybody involved and play those who are deserving. Let Stroud play in the flow of the game (not just to force scoring). Get it to him in transition or set plays at the rim like an Ally Oop.

Defense: bring the effort early. Focus on shutting down Wallace and maybe consider switching on Jackson to see if it helps. Always protect the rim. Vila and Tydus block some shots!
Sounds good. Hopefully we bring the D.

Sounds good. Hopefully we bring the D.
Hopefully our guys now see what it takes. What works and what doesn't. Quit the long three's especially by those that are just heaviing up prayers. Protect the damn ball!
Block out under the boards on defense. No second chances.
As someone else said; the second half from the 14 minute mark on and into OT, I think was our best effort of the season. Can it continue?
VILA!!!! Maybe we saw a preview of what he can contribute. Never seen him that focused before. Got my fingers crossed.

When the Miners played Mahmood Abdul Rauf (sp) (Chris Jackson) in the 1990 tourney, Haskins would make him pick up his dribble by having another guy jump out on him when he got the ball. So Rauf would be temporarily double teamed until he picked up his dribble. Pretty much shut him down in the first half.

Hardaway did a pretty good job also. He was such a beast.

Reactions: groundrounds
another strategy is to force Wallace and Jackson to play defense, playing forty min, taking 29 shots and running trough screens and picks at both ends for an entire game can wear anyone out. Wallace tired last night and at the end didn't seem to have the quick or lift he had earlier in the game. Since UTSA is a two man team, force one to play chase all night and let UTSA use their bench ;)

Reactions: Lil_Train
Game Plan:
Play the entire game at the same level of intensity, desire and smart as they did the last 15 minutes of regulation and 5 minutes of OT in Wednesday's game. Discard the turnovers, disastrous 3 point heaves and matador defense utilized during the first 25 minutes.

Lock down Jackson and make the other team have to beat you and get it to Williams and play inside out side.

I talked with a friend of mine that has been able to watch UTEP practice. He said during the scrimmage session that Vila hit 9 three point shots in a row. This was not in a non guarded shooting session. That is why CRT is playing him so much. if he starts to make half that many then this team will be vastly different on offense.

Well we have not stopped Wallace so there goes my gameplan. Too inconsistent in effort and shooting. Now its hurting our defense.

I talked with a friend of mine that has been able to watch UTEP practice. He said during the scrimmage session that Vila hit 9 three point shots in a row. This was not in a non guarded shooting session. That is why CRT is playing him so much. if he starts to make half that many then this team will be vastly different on offense.

Well, CRT sure as hell is being patient.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT