ADVERTISEMENT

Golding?

Dmanminer

MI Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2016
What grade would you give him for this game?
I give him a D .
Yes they fought back , but the last seven to eight minutes were terrible basketball.
Players tossing up shots? cause they were caught with no where to go with the ball. Most of those didn’t even come close to the rim.
Playing DA and Mr Turnover down the stretch.
Not pressing until the last 55 seconds after the outcome was pretty much decided.
I still believe Golding needs to move back down to a lower level, until he finds an offensive scheme.
What say you?

I’d go C+. UTEP showed a ton of heart and composure coming back from the big deficit early and taking the lead in the second half. He had these guys punching above their weight during most of this tournament is which when it mattered so I’ll give him his props We expect the Miners to be competing for a Conference crown and a Tournament birth so in a way he exceeded the expectations we had just 4 weeks

In the last ten minutes however they couldn’t make the adjustments and they fell apart. It seemed liked the team’ lost their composure but after watching them this season it seemed like they fell back to Earth and turned back into what they are: a team that can’t hit shots when it matters.

At the end of the day Golding needs to hit it out of the park next season. Anything less than a spot in the conference title game should be seen as a step backwards.

C

It was an F as of last week but playing in conference championship gives him a bump. We played well in the 2 out of the 3 games of the season that mattered.

I still think he hasn't recruited well in portal. His substitution patterns are questionable. He has a hard time drawing up a successful play on an inbounds. If a good nucleus of players come back, I'll have some hope for next year to build upon what was done. If NCAA free agency hits hard and it's a total rebuild, I won't have a whole lot of optimism. I hate what has happened to college sports. It seems like it effects basketball more than any other sport.

People were complaining about play not being able to transfer, now they can at will. Ruined college sports!!!!!!’

Reactions: kickballpro
I like going. He seems like a good guy. What I don’t like is his stubbornness. I will never guess why Solomon got so much playing time. You can’t complain about taking care of the ball and then play that guy so many minutes. Also, he was stubborn and not giving Ham more minutes and was deficient and not crafting a defensive scheme for him while he was in the game. Also, I don’t know why Elijah Jones did not play more after being our leading score in some of the early-season games. I give him a B just bc the defense was some of the best I ve seen.

D

While I like the young guys, I can't see any way we keep them all to build upon. The scoring droughts are way too often and that's on him to get some easy buckets to stop the bleeding. All the turnovers early in this game were nerves/lack of preparation. Substitutions make no sense.

I was all on the #firegolding train, however, "if" they keep all the young guys, it's cool to stick with him 1 more year with no extension in place yet.

Great run in the conference tournament, but that doesn't overshadow what he hasn't gotten done.

I should have empathized the grade was for this last game only.
That said I would give him a D for the entire year.
Is it football season yet?

Reactions: FedupMiner
I like going. He seems like a good guy. What I don’t like is his stubbornness. I will never guess why Solomon got so much playing time. You can’t complain about taking care of the ball and then play that guy so many minutes. Also, he was stubborn and not giving Ham more minutes and was deficient and not crafting a defensive scheme for him while he was in the game. Also, I don’t know why Elijah Jones did not play more after being our leading score in some of the early-season games. I give him a B just bc the defense was some of the best I ve seen.
The defense was good at creating steals/turnovers and decent at 3-point defense, but bad at overall defensive scoring percentage meaning most teams dominated us in the paint/at the rim. Our shot blocking was probably worst in the conference. As a direct result of those deficiencies our rebounding was poor too.

Even if somebody like Mbengue is a dominant shot blocker and rebounder, Golding will pull him away from the paint to hedge and defend the 3 point line (putting him out of positioning at risk for cheap fouls too).

Just replayed the game and basically when Kalu and or Solomon are in: we suck. When they are out: we rock! We watched the 2 games at Ojos Locos and we (9 of us) were in unison regarding this. Everyone groaned when they were in. Too bad the entire coaching staff has blinders on. They're nice players but horrible for the program. As for coach not playing Jones: WTF! Tiecher asked him post game and he gave a nonsense answer. There is obviously something he's not disclosing. Golding will be our coach next year so I will support him. As for who stays/goes...there's nothing short of mucho $$$$ that anyone can do about that. As for the grade for the coach, who knows. The grade for the team: A+

No 1 nationally in steals
No 1 nationally in turnovers caused per game.
Top 20 nationally in free throws attempted and made
3 freshman on the conference all freshman team
Improved record from last year
Strong tournament run

B

I should have empathized the grade was for this last game only.
That said I would give him a D for the entire year.
Is it football season yet?
Season: D+
Last part of the season and Tournament B
Last Game: C -Refs and missed shots not on him. Utep played out of control that is on him.
Total Composite Grade:C-

Golding gets a C from me. His team finished 15-15 against D1 opponents, so he gets a mediocre grade. Decent at home, terrible on the road. A 5 win game streak to end the year didn't really shift my opinion, although Golding deserves props for rallying the players. Team could have easily just folded it up before the first road win against Jacksonville State.

Next season will be another rebuilding year (and every year after that due to the portal). Based on Goldings recruiting resume thus far, I'm not confident he can reload and replace the scoring he's losing. Not that I think that highly of the players we are leaving though. Esp Solomon.

I hope we can hold onto Terrell mainly, but holding onto Camper, Horton, Hamilton, Frazier and maybe Jones would be nice too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier transfer out.

Can Golding bring in a proven starting PG to replace Powell and Hardy and a strong starting PF as an upgrade while Jones backs him up?

That with Camper, Frazier and whoever wins the starting center spot should be enough if our other top players return.

Both are a big IF givin Golding's recruiting and the lure of the portal.

1. Made the CUSA tourney finals. Terry couldn't do it and Floyd only did it his first year using Barbee's players. That said, the conference was weak this year, but that remains to be seen. If WKY goes deep in the tourney, it'll make the rest of us look better.
2. Team was top in the NCAA in several defensive categories but was lacking in other defensive categories.
3. Miners were exciting to watch. The upbeat tempo was a lot of fun. The CBS commentators kept saying that if UTEP had a knock down 3 shooter or a solid center, they'd be really good.
4. The come from behind, hair on fire ending to the Liberty and Sam games were an unexpected gift.
5. Golding plays a one dimensional defense. He only plays one way. If he switched up the defense at times during important stretches of the game, we would have won more games and he'd start to look like a better coach.

roundsound score B-

Senter’s grade = raise and extension.
If Senter gives an extension with 2 years left on the contract he should be fired. That's just dumb business.
Exciting is the last thing I would call this miner team play style. Frustrating and disappointing. ring more true.
Miner_Tavo = nowins etc etc etc etc etc. Try to convince me I'm wrong.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Why don't you look at my registration date on my profile. I've been in this board for over 20 years and have met multiple members in person.

Your ad hominem attacks to shut down criticism of the progran are transparent and kind of sad.

Why don't you look at my registration date on my profile. I've been in this board for over 20 years and have met multiple members in person.

Your ad hominem attacks to shut down criticism of the progran are transparent and kind of sad.
You just nailed it. All of your selves say that you've been on the board for 20 years when exposed. So predictable. Welcome to my ignore list. Boy that swamp is getting full of trolls.

Last edited:
You just nailed it. All of your selves say that you've been on the board for 20 years when exposed. So predictable. Welcome to my ignore list. Boy that swamp is getting full of trolls.

The majority of fans on this board think Golding needs to go. I guess we are all trolls now. I could accept poor results if there was actual progress in the program but as has been pointed out numerous times by a number of posters, Golding's philosophy is flawed - the players lack fundamentals, They play a game that is inherently flawed. Golding makes poor substitutions, minimal adjustments and does weird things like not having anyone on the free throw line to rebound on the front ends of one and ones or on the second shot of two. I'm sure he thinks he's a genius doing this. 🙄 He's exactly like Dimel. Even when the football team won, the team's flaws were easily visible by anyone that knows anything about the game.

Mediocre people accept mediocre results and will let a program piss on their face and tell everyone it's raining.

Last edited:
I have to say an F. The last week does not make up for the entire season. It's like taking a test and getting the first few questions correct, struggling and missing a big portion of the questions wrong in the middle and getting lucky to answer a few correct at the end. It's still a fail test. Golding failed this year in a mediocre conference. All of the rah-rah and energy don't make for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT