ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest player you watched from the Sun Bowl stands?

Joe Greene. UTEP played North Texas State in 1968. He was their left defensive tackle and I was playing right guard for the Miners. It was a long night. I think we lost by 3 points. The clock ran out before we could get the ball in the end zone.

Mean Joe Greene!

"Hey kid...catch"

Joe Greene. UTEP played North Texas State in 1968. He was their left defensive tackle and I was playing right guard for the Miners. It was a long night. I think we lost by 3 points. The clock ran out before we could get the ball in the end zone.

Wow, that’s awesome!

November 9th, 1968. North Texas @ UTEP. 34-31.

What was it like playing against Mean Joe?

Wow, that’s awesome!

November 9th, 1968. North Texas @ UTEP. 34-31.

What was it like playing against Mean Joe?
It was awesome. I had transferred to UTEP in January of '68, just after the Miners had beaten Mississippi in the Sun Bowl. I was a dumb kid from California (still am) and starting my 4th or 5th game. We threw about 50 passes and he teed off on my about 50 times. He wasn't really mean but he was tough. After the game I had a perfect cleat mark on my stomach. It looked pretty funny. Some A hole sent me tulips before the game. I loved El Paso, still do.

It was awesome. I had transferred to UTEP in January of '68, just after the Miners had beaten Mississippi in the Sun Bowl. I was a dumb kid from California (still am) and starting my 4th or 5th game. We threw about 50 passes and he teed off on my about 50 times. He wasn't really mean but he was tough. After the game I had a perfect cleat mark on my stomach. It looked pretty funny. Some A hole sent me tulips before the game. I loved El Paso, still do.

Haha — he stepped on you?

UTEP was pretty good that year, weren’t they? Who was coach and QB?

Great story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT