ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Foster

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
If he gets the Job. You think his son follows? Did the son sign a LOI with Zags?

That’s a tough question. I’m sure he would love to play for his father and if I’m not mistaken he grew up in El Paso. But is Gonzaga a better fit for him than UTEP? If he were to come to UTEP I would love to believe that the coach would understand the circumstances. It’s not a sick grandma, or a girlfriend, or Jesus telling him to leave.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
That’s a tough question. I’m sure he would love to play for his father and if I’m not mistaken he grew up in El Paso. But is Gonzaga a better fit for him than UTEP? If he were to come to UTEP I would love to believe that the coach would understand the circumstances. It’s not a sick grandma, or a girlfriend, or Jesus telling him to leave.
He is signed, but I'm sure Few would not pull a CTF if he wanted to follow Dad.

Honestly, I think Senter gives a courtesy interview because Greg has expressed interest and has ties to UTEP. I just don't believe he will be seriously considered. He has very little college coaching experience and none as the top assistant or main recruiter. He has no head coaching experience and has been away from a college or a few years. I can't imagine Senter hiring him to bring his son along (one friggin player) as a strong selling point.

Too many talented coaches out there.

Honestly, I think Senter gives a courtesy interview because Greg has expressed interest and has ties to UTEP. I just don't believe he will be seriously considered. He has very little college coaching experience and none as the top assistant or main recruiter. He has no head coaching experience and has been away from a college or a few years. I can't imagine Senter hiring him to bring his son along (one friggin player) as a strong selling point.

He was on The UTEP staff for a couple of years. I get that he may not be a heavy recruitier like Billy G. back in the day but he had to have done some recruiting during his time with The Miners. And he has to have some high school/AAU contacts from his time in the NBA. I remember Bohanon was pretty good as his career progressed, as well as Lang. I'm curious to know Foster’s level of involvement with the big men during his time here.
I do agree that Foster may have an outside shot at the job. If they are going with an outside firm I’m sure they could care less about where you’re from unlike some people.....Stull.

Reactions: minermx07

Exactly. I'm sure he has great basketball knowledge and if he had recently been a top assistant in college ball and had a good reputation as a recruiter then yes. But not at this point.

Greg is a great guy. I got to know him back when he started his mortgage company. But Greg’s coaching resume has a lot of similarities to Kugler’s:

- both played and graduated from UTEP.
- both started their coaching careers at UTEP.
- neither have/had been a head coach previously.
- Kugler had never even been a coordinator and was coming back to UTEP after being an NFL assistant.
- Foster has never even been a #2 assistant on a staff and is coming back after being an NBA assistant.

Fair or not, I just don’t see UTEP going with what appears to be such a similar hire as Kugler, particularly with Kugler’s failure being so fresh.

Foster has drive. He just needs time. After his NBA career he spent some years here in El Paso in the real estate market, so while he has some experience at the college level, he needs a little more under his belt. If he keeps at it, he'll get there. Can't blame him going into real estate out of the NBA. This was way prior to the 08-09 financial meltdown and the market in El Paso was really good and his wife was from EP too, I think.

You guys bring up great points as to why Foster should not get the job. How many NBA guys have gone to be successful NCAA coaches?

Reactions: axingfools1
This post is really about Foster Jr. Its not about if Foster Sr. should get the job or not. I was just wondering if Foster SR gets the job will his son follow?

But i think its not a bad idea if Greg Foster gets the job. There has been a lot of NBA players that went to Head Coaching gigs no experience at coaching at all. In the NBA Steve Kerr didnt have any coaching experience. Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd. Avery Johnson i dont think has any coaching experience before he was a Head Coach. Did Bob Hurley Jr have any experience before U. Buffalo or wherever he was before ASU? Dan Marjele didnt have any experience before GCU.What about Danny Manning before Tulsa???

But i think its not a bad idea if Greg Foster gets the job. There has been a lot of NBA players that went to Head Coaching gigs no experience at coaching at all. In the NBA Steve Kerr didnt have any coaching experience. Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd. Avery Johnson i dont think has any coaching experience before he was a Head Coach. Did Bob Hurley Jr have any experience before U. Buffalo or wherever he was before ASU? Dan Marjele didnt have any experience before GCU.What about Danny Manning before Tulsa???

I can't believe you can mention Greg Foster in the same breath as the others you listed. You mentioned NBA hall of famers and NCAA players of the year.....and Greg Foster. You can't be serious. If we can't do 10 times better than Greg Foster, we should just drop the program.

I just cant believe we havent heard any legit candidates. Not even from the rumor mill. What do our sports writers get paid to do? Lol. Get yourself some inside sources. Stir shit up in this town. Have fun with it. Its a joke that we read the same story on the daily in regards to Utep Athletics. If I was a big donor to the program, which I am not, and I had not been given potential names, and how quick we are moving in the next direction, like the day our season ends, I would stop payment on that check.

If that staff is not cleaned out the night our season ends, something has got to give. Sorry for the mini- rant lol

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I can't believe you can mention Greg Foster in the same breath as the others you listed. You mentioned NBA hall of famers and NCAA players of the year.....and Greg Foster. You can't be serious. If we can't do 10 times better than Greg Foster, we should just drop the program.

Steve Kerr is a HOFer??

First the argument was that NBA players cant be coaches and when i name some then its HOFers ? okay so you now want me to name players that are not in Hall of Fame? anything else??

Successes
Fred Hoiberg (Iowa State): The Mayor was hired at his alma mater after a stint in the Minnesota Timberwolves' front office. Hoiberg took the Cyclones to the NCAA tourney in four of his five seasons before being hired by the Chicago Bulls in 2015.

Bobby Hurley (Buffalo and Arizona State): Hurley's NBA playing career was cut short due to injury, and he joined his brother, Dan, on the staff at Wagner and Rhode Island before he was hired as the head coach at Buffalo. He took the Bulls to the NCAA tourney in his second season and was hired by Arizona State, where he has the Sun Devils rolling.

Avery Johnson (Alabama): Was the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks and the Brooklyn Nets, and was hired at Alabama in 2015 after spending a few years at ESPN. The Crimson Tide won 18 and 19 games his first two seasons, but he has added a couple of terrific freshmen in Collin Sexton and John Petty, who should get the team back to the NCAA tournament this season.

Larry Krystkowiak (Utah): Spent a decade in the NBA as a player, and then was an assistant and head coach in college. Left Montana in 2006 after two seasons as head coach (both NCAA tourney appearances) to join the Milwaukee Bucks as an assistant. Then had a short stint as Milwaukee's head coach, was on the Nets' staff in 2010 before being hired back in college at Utah. He has gone to two NCAA tournaments and a pair of NITs in the past four seasons with the Utes.

Dan Majerle (Grand Canyon): Thunder Dan took over a program five years ago that hasn't been eligible for the NCAA tournament until this season. Majerle, who came over from an assistant spot with the Phoenix Suns, has done an impressive job thus far, winning an average of 20 games over his first four seasons.

Eric Musselman (Nevada): There have been many coaching stops, but Musselman spent much of his career in the NBA before joining Herb Sendek's staff in 2012 at Arizona State. He spent a year with Johnny Jones at LSU before being hired at Nevada -- where he has won 42 games in his first two seasons and went to the NCAA tourney last season.

Russell Turner (UC Irvine): Turner was an assistant at Wake Forest and at Stanford before going with Mike Montgomery to the NBA with the Golden State Warriors. He spent six years with the Warriors before returning to college at UC Irvine in 2010. He has taken the Anteaters to one NCAA tourney, two NIT and a couple of CIT (College Insider.com Postseason Tournament) appearances.

Bryce Drew (Valparaiso and Vanderbilt): Drew spent a half-dozen years in the NBA and also a couple of seasons in Europe as a player. Drew was hired to replace his dad at Valpo and took the program to two NCAA tourneys, two NITs and a CIT in five seasons at the helm. He was hired by Vanderbilt in 2016 and took the Commodores to the NCAA tournament in his first year.

Solid
Dan D'Antoni (Marshall): Mike's older brother played for the Thundering Herd and spent a year on staff with the program in 1970-71 before coaching in high school for 30 years. He then joined his brother's staff with the Suns, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers before being hired by his alma mater in 2014. The program's win total has increased each season and Marshall has won 22 C-USA games the past two years.

Danny Manning (Tulsa and Wake Forest): The former Kansas star spent more than a decade in the NBA before joining Bill Self's staff. He took Tulsa to the NCAA tourney before being plucked by Wake Forest -- where he has struggled to get that program going.

Scott Padgett (Samford): The former Kentucky big man spent about eight years in the NBA. He was an assistant at Manhattan and Samford before being elevated to the head spot in 2014. In Year 3, he took the program to the CIT and has it trending upward.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...0/college-coaches-nba-roots-met-mixed-results

Steve Kerr is a HOFer??

First the argument was that NBA players cant be coaches and when i name some then its HOFers ? okay so you now want me to name players that are not in Hall of Fame? anything else??

Steve Kerr has 7 NBA championships and when all is said and done, will probably be in the HOF as a coach. Mentioning Greg Foster in the same category as Steve Kerr is laughable.

Nice work Fili! Third time could be the charm. Floyd appears to be out of touch with today's youth, Kugler was an old anti-social curmudgeon. Foster is currently coaching in the NBA, more in touch with the younger generation and has desire. I'd love to have him here despite the failures of past prodigal sons...

Don’t have a problem with Foster, I believe he can recruit and knows the x and o’s . Every HOF has to start somewhere, why not here.
For those of you knocking him, saying he dosnt compare how will we ever know if not given a chance.
That said don’t know if he would be my first pick, but neither you or I have that responsibility.
For those of you who are quick to judge, become an AD and make the hire.

Reactions: miner1liner
Don’t have a problem with Foster, I believe he can recruit and knows the x and o’s . Every HOF has to start somewhere, why not here.
For those of you knocking him, saying he dosnt compare how will we ever know if not given a chance.
That said don’t know if he would be my first pick, but neither you or I have that responsibility.
For those of you who are quick to judge, become an AD and make the hire.
With Dimel hire and these interviews, it seems to me Senter wants:
A) Previous HC experience at mid major level.

B) Stabilze program with that experience.

Foster interview makes sense. He knows UTEP basketball, knows El Paso and has assistant experience. However, I bet Senter goes with hands on experience at head coaching level.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

He does have head coaching experience. He had to coach in the East Carolina game, when Floyd and Johnson were ejected and he was the last one standing.

Look what florida gulf coasts been able to do. Im shocked we would even be able to reel him in. Shit I could get behind Dooley

Reactions: utep2step
I feel like its easier for us to bring in a HC from a smaller school with winning pedigree then it is to bring in a top assistant from a school with more presitige and noriety for winning. I dont think a top assistant would come here mainly because who the heck would take a head coaching job in conf usa if currently in a big conference. A one bid conference hurts us so bad. My first thought would be a top assistant at school that knows the Texas and Southwest landscape, but again thats not reality for us. Some coaches would rather stay an assistant coach for 15 years then even consider a move here. Lets hope we bring in someone who is gonna work to become that 1 team coming out conf usa and lets hope we have an AD that can get us the hell out .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT