ADVERTISEMENT

Has Dimel earned an extension?

The counter to this is, other coaches at others schools don’t take 4 years to go a mediocre 7-6 and it be considered successful. Everyone talks about investing in this and that, but if you keep accepting mediocre results, you’re not really improving. Just because it’s “UTEP football good”, doesn’t mean it’s an actual accomplishment.

Barely being .500 and being a “good season for UTEP” is the reason why we’re at the very bottom of conference expansion lists

I agree with you, we do need to shoot for higher than 7-6 and a mediocre bowl game, but we also need to establish a floor that isn’t 0-12. UTEP has not been to a bowl since we had Aaron Jones and has only been to what, four bowl games in the past two decades? Schools that can recover quickly from 0-12/1-11 years are also usually the schools that go to bowl games regularly or have strong conference members to pull the revenue share. Dimel took four years and I’ll be honest, I was calling for his head after year 2. Ultimately we need to show consistency and a winning program and Dimel shows he is on the right track as of now. The lack of NCAAT revenue (aka wins and games played), lack of strong bowl tie ins, and terrible media rights haven’t helped, but that is a conference issue that obviously isn’t getting better anytime soon. UTEP pulls an 8-4 season going into the bowl next year and would signal this program having officially turned the corner.

I might be wrong in a few years, but Ill take my crow with a side of Frank’s Hot Sauce.

Yes and no. We knew the week of La Tech that we had an incredibly backloaded schedule. I don’t think we go 0’fer but I wouldn’t be surprised by going 1-3 over the last stretch of the year. @UAB and UTSA are more than likely losses and Rice has a pulse. Conversely I could also see us going 3-1.
Saturday's game against UTSA will predict the rest of the season. 3 Days away.

One if our former basketball coaches, can't remember which one, said that you should be able to see the direction of a program in year 3.

This is Year 3ish for Coach Dimel and the program is not stagnant or declining. He deserves a raise and an extension.

One if our former basketball coaches, can't remember which one, said that you should be able to see the direction of a program in year 3.

This is Year 3ish for Coach Dimel and the program is not stagnant or declining. He deserves a raise and an extension.
Believe That would be the great Jason Rabedeaux that you’re quoting

Reactions: kickballpro
Our core players are young.

Hardison- sophomore
Hankins- RS freshman
Cowing- sophomore
Praise A- sophomore.

With the ease of the transfer portal, I say we lock Dimel up for 3-4 years, to keep this group intact and build off this season's success.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I would be very comfortable with a one year extension if that is possible. To offset the covid season, to return a favor for the paycut he took, and to build off the momentum of this season. If we continue to move the needle forward next season then we would need to talk about a 3 to 4 year extension.

Last edited:
I would be very comfortable with a one year extension if that is possible. To offset the covid season, to return a favor for the paycut he took, and to build off the momentum of this season. If we continue to move the need forward next season then we would need to talk about a 3 to 4 year extension.
Yes I think that was done with Terry

I would be very comfortable with a one year extension if that is possible. To offset the covid season, to return a favor for the paycut he took, and to build off the momentum of this season. If we continue to move the needle forward next season then we would need to talk about a 3 to 4 year extension.
I think that’s the most rational approach. He has almost everybody coming back, at least eligible to do so. He could put together a great season next year. Only then should he get multiple years, imho.

Reactions: MistaBinks
He will be here next year. You’re not wrong, but if he finishes the year 6-7 and has a poor bowl performance, like really, this deserves an extension? That’s why you wait and I don’t believe any school, at any level has him on their radar.

If he were 8-0 and steamrolling teams, maybe another school would be interested. However, unless Fili is your AD, they’re going to look at the schedule and see who we beat. Won’t be impressing anyone.
From what you've seen this year, do you honestly believe he'll lose out? I mean of course it could happen, but I say odds are in his favor to go a minimum of 7-5 probably 8-4 and probably lose the bowl game, because that's what Utep does when they go bowling. I don't know that he deserves a 5 year extension, but a 3 year extension is reasonable. Next year this team should be better on paper.

From what you've seen this year, do you honestly believe he'll lose out? I mean of course it could happen, but I say odds are in his favor to go a minimum of 7-5 probably 8-4 and probably lose the bowl game, because that's what Utep does when they go bowling. I don't know that he deserves a 5 year extension, but a 3 year extension is reasonable. Next year this team should be better on paper.
I don’t think they will lose out, but being a UTEP fan, I am not “counting” on them beating UNT and Rice. There’s no reason to extend him now. He won’t be hired away by any team. Senter can wait until after the bowl game to offer it. Just in case, he loses out.

Reactions: Dmanminer
I don’t think they will lose out, but being a UTEP fan, I am not “counting” on them beating UNT and Rice. There’s no reason to extend him now. He won’t be hired away by any team. Senter can wait until after the bowl game to offer it. Just in case, he loses out.
Why would you think we’d lose out when we’re 6-2??

Why would you think we’d lose out when we’re 6-2??
I didn’t say they would, but it’s possible. What if Hardison gets injured or has a bad concussion? We’re a play a way from having Brownholtz running the wildcat every series. If he were a better thrower, he would probably be starting.

I didn’t say they would, but it’s possible. What if Hardison gets injured or has a bad concussion? We’re a play a way from having Brownholtz running the wildcat every series. If he were a better thrower, he would probably be starting.
You’re sadly correct. Rice has a pulse and UNT is a road game. If Gavin or Cowing go down, our offense is immediately ten points per game worse.

As an aside, anyone else annoyed at how UTEP’s wildcat package never throws the ball to keep teams honest? Teams know our wildcat package is 100% a running package.

Why assume all that? This is the best season we’ve had in years. No reason to be so negative

You’re sadly correct. Rice has a pulse and UNT is a road game. If Gavin or Cowing go down, our offense is immediately ten points per game worse.

As an aside, anyone else annoyed at how UTEP’s wildcat package never throws the ball to keep teams honest? Teams know our wildcat package is 100% a running package.

When's the last time you ever saw a wildcat play throw the ball? I can't recall it, both in college and the NFL.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
When's the last time you ever saw a wildcat play throw the ball? I can't recall it, both in college and the NFL.

Yep. Here’s a novel idea. If we’re inside the 5 and running the wildcat, try one of those Tebow fake run and jump passes. Hell, it’s not even necessary to be able to throw the ball. ****ing shot put it if you have to.

Literally when it debuted. Skip to the 2:00 minute mark.

edit: I just saw you mentioned the last time it happened. I’m not going to comb through collegiate or nfl highlights.

Essentially the point of the wildcat originally was to force a CB or other defender to be “wasted” in order to cover the QB (or else the Philly Philly Special happens) which leaves the offense with an inherent advantage since the “QB” (WR/RB) is now liable to both run and throw and the LBs should have to respect both. With UTEP running their current wildcat, everyone knows it’s a RB dive or a QB draw/read option.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
Upfront my school/team is UNT. My son and daughter both went to UTEP and I have lived here for years so UTEP is a team I really like to see do well.
I think the success UTEP is having this year is great and honestly, I think you guys will take care of UNT when we play. My question for the Miner fans is how do you feel about Dimel moving forward?
Coming into this season it seems most were ready for a change. Has that changed? I honestly don't follow close enough to know if he has built something that can last, or this year's team is the right group at the right time.
Seth Littrell has been a boost to the UNT program that prior to his arrival, even UTEP whomped on. When Mike Price started the 04 season, UTEP (just like you all and UTSA) thought they finally hit pay dirt.

But honestly, after the FAU loss, UTEP doesn't now how too win. Making grabs when you need to late. Avoiding stupid penalties when you moving the chains. UTEP has a good qb with a bazooka of an arm and he will be great in two years (he's just a sophmore). But right now, he still throws in heavy coverage. Same goes for Hankins our top back. He's not quite there yet.

So yes Dimel says it takes four to five, but FBS wants two to three. Price and Kugler did have it together by year two (both went south after three).

Alabama and Georgia can build to last, longer. Mid major's recruit to get a kid that can overachieve for two, juco's fill gaps, they don't bring conference crown winning ability.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Yep. Here’s a novel idea. If we’re inside the 5 and running the wildcat, try one of those Tebow fake run and jump passes. Hell, it’s not even necessary to be able to throw the ball. ****ing shot put it if you have to.
I want to see us try a play like the one the Cowboys ran. I've seen Hardison line up at WR during the wildcat. Imagine Brownholtz throws it to Hardison and Hardison finds Cowing wide open.

Dana is getting a bonus for Christmas:

"Bonuses: The following bonuses were earned this weekend, per Steve Berkowitz: UTEP's Dana Dimel ($60k for bowl eligibility), Alabama's Nick Saban ($65k for bowl eligibility), UTSA's Jeff Traylor ($50k for 7th win), Cincinnati's Luke Fickell ($75k for bowl eligibility), Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy ($62,500 for bowl eligibility), and San Diego State's Brady Hoke ($50k for bowl elgibility)."

Santa Senter is giving Dimel a bonus

Reactions: MinerFan79
Dana is getting a bonus for Christmas:

"Bonuses: The following bonuses were earned this weekend, per Steve Berkowitz: UTEP's Dana Dimel ($60k for bowl eligibility), Alabama's Nick Saban ($65k for bowl eligibility), UTSA's Jeff Traylor ($50k for 7th win), Cincinnati's Luke Fickell ($75k for bowl eligibility), Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy ($62,500 for bowl eligibility), and San Diego State's Brady Hoke ($50k for bowl elgibility)."

Santa Senter is giving Dimel a bonus
Good! Well
Deserved

What happened to that true freshman QB that people were saying was going to play this year ? How about give him a go in those spots?

I have my issues with Dimel. However he probably has earned 2 more years. Glad it wasn't a longer extension though. Next year should be another bowl season and chance at a bowl victory hopefully. If he does that he definitely earned his extension.
I like the way you think...

I have my issues with Dimel. However he probably has earned 2 more years. Glad it wasn't a longer extension though. Next year should be another bowl season and chance at a bowl victory hopefully. If he does that he definitely earned his extension.
If he manages to coach a team that wins a bowl he will probably reach local immortality because no other coach here has done that since LBJ was an office

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT