ADVERTISEMENT

Has Dimel earned an extension?

elpasoeagle

High school stud
Oct 26, 2021
Upfront my school/team is UNT. My son and daughter both went to UTEP and I have lived here for years so UTEP is a team I really like to see do well.
I think the success UTEP is having this year is great and honestly, I think you guys will take care of UNT when we play. My question for the Miner fans is how do you feel about Dimel moving forward?
Coming into this season it seems most were ready for a change. Has that changed? I honestly don't follow close enough to know if he has built something that can last, or this year's team is the right group at the right time.

Upfront my school/team is UNT. My son and daughter both went to UTEP and I have lived here for years so UTEP is a team I really like to see do well.
I think the success UTEP is having this year is great and honestly, I think you guys will take care of UNT when we play. My question for the Miner fans is how do you feel about Dimel moving forward?
Coming into this season it seems most were ready for a change. Has that changed? I honestly don't follow close enough to know if he has built something that can last, or this year's team is the right group at the right time.

Dana Dismel has never accomplished shit as a head coach. I don't expect him to here. He's having a decent season against shit competition but has yet to beat a quality or even semi-quality team this season. All he's done in 4 years is take UTEP from the shittiest of the shitty to a little better than the shittiest teams.

Corona and others will lay into me for this post but it's an honest take on Dismel and what he has done at UTEP. And quite honestly, after 60 years of mostly futility I can't really blame Dismel for our dismel, ahem, dismal situation. It just seems to be what UTEP is with a rare season or two where we find a bit of success -- like this season. I mean, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

This is a valid question. As fun as the season has been, I still don't think UTEP fans have fully bought in on Dimel, myself included. I give him credit for increasing the level of talent and beating the teams on the schedule this year but I'm not fully convinced on his ability. I think a win on Saturday could sway my opinion...

For comparison sake Traylor at UTSA received a 10 year extension and 2.8 salary. His best win up to date.

3-6 Illinois
4-4 Memphis
5-4 La Tech by 1 (2020) La Tech only beat 1 team with a winning record.

Everyone else Traylor has beat has been shit and he has lost to every other team with a winning record.

Just goes to show how many quality wins he has.

Last edited:
I am okay with an extension if we want to keep going the way the program is headed; slow, baby steps but continuously improving. It is better than a perpetual suckfest. However, if an opportunity would arise to hire a more exciting, better recruiting, headline name, coach we need to jump on that opportunity.

Having said that, giving him an extension and a raise but not a guaranteed contract. UTEP should be able to terminate him, with no penalty, at the firing of a P5 coach that had unrealistic expectations put on them.

Last edited:
I am okay with an extension if we want to keep going the way the program is headed; slow, baby steps but continuously improving. It is better than a perpetual suckfest. However, if an opportunity would arise to hire a more exciting, better recruiting, headline name, coach we need to jump on that opportunity.

Having said that, giving him an extension and a raise but not a guaranteed contract. UTEP should be able to terminate him, with no penalty, at the firing of a P5 coach that had unrealistic expectations put on them.

Unless UTEP had to fire Dimel with cause (which is standard with most employers anyways), would you sign such a contract that allowed your employer to terminate your contract at will without a guaranteed buyout?

Unless UTEP had to fire Dimel with cause (which is standard with most employers anyways), would you sign such a contract that allowed your employer to terminate your contract at will without a guaranteed buyout?

That's why you give him a raise as well. A real raise, not a 3%, maybe 30% to 45% per year? Perhaps add increments per year? Money talks.

He hasn’t earned an extension, yet. He’s only beaten bad teams. Wait until after the bowl. Then give him another year and a slight pay raise. Nobody is coming for him. No need to lock him up.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
He hasn’t earned an extension, yet. He’s only beaten bad teams. Wait until after the bowl. Then give him another year and a slight pay raise. Nobody is coming for him. No need to lock him up.

Everyone UTEP plays is bad. Even if they upset UTSA this Saturday, you'll find some excuse to say how bad UTSA is.

Everyone UTEP plays is bad. Even if they upset UTSA this Saturday, you'll find some excuse to say how bad UTSA is.
They’re in the Top 25 and beat average Big 10 and AAC teams on the road. Can you tell me which team that UTEP beat, that is good?

And if we lose we will become UTSA'S signature win since Traylor became coach.

We all know what our own fans think of this season.

Personally I think he has. A lot of people will point to the lack luster wins, regardless of quantity, or the predictability of the offense, or the lack of consistency and they would be correct. This program is far from perfect.
Dimel had a bare cupboard when he got here and he’s had to literally build a foundation that was cracked after the previous HC. The biggest reason I think he’s earned an extension is he has this UTEP team winning games that would have crushed the spirits of years’ past (UNM and ODU come to mind) by creating a winning culture.

The other big issue is recruiting. Tough to recruit as a coach when you yourself can’t guarantee you’ll be there next year.

Personally I think he has. A lot of people will point to the lack luster wins, regardless of quantity, or the predictability of the offense, or the lack of consistency and they would be correct. This program is far from perfect.
Dimel had a bare cupboard when he got here and he’s had to literally build a foundation that was cracked after the previous HC. The biggest reason I think he’s earned an extension is he has this UTEP team winning games that would have crushed the spirits of years’ past (UNM and ODU come to mind) by creating a winning culture.

The other big issue is recruiting. Tough to recruit as a coach when you yourself can’t guarantee you’ll be there next year.
He will be here next year. You’re not wrong, but if he finishes the year 6-7 and has a poor bowl performance, like really, this deserves an extension? That’s why you wait and I don’t believe any school, at any level has him on their radar.

If he were 8-0 and steamrolling teams, maybe another school would be interested. However, unless Fili is your AD, they’re going to look at the schedule and see who we beat. Won’t be impressing anyone.

Last edited:
Regardless of the stance that people are taking, I find this topic very interesting. Good thread so far in my opinion

For comparison sake Traylor at UTSA received a 10 year extension and 2.8 salary. His best win up to date.

3-6 Illinois
4-4 Memphis
5-4 La Tech by 1 (2020) La Tech only beat 1 team with a winning record.

Everyone else Traylor has beat has been shit and he has lost to every other team with a winning record.

Just goes to show how many quality wins he has.
Illinois beat Penn State and faces a Big 10 schedule yet you dismiss that win. It was a solid win

Illinois beat Penn State and faces a Big 10 schedule yet you dismiss that win. It was a solid win
If I dismissed it I wouldn't have included it. His best win is over a 3-6 Illinois team and that's why it's ranked 1 on my list.

If I dismissed it I wouldn't have included it. His best win is over a 3-6 Illinois team and that's why it's ranked 1 on my list.
You know what matters ? 8-0 that’s what matters and it has them RANKED. What does their margin of victory look like in those games? Looks pretty wide to me

He will be here next year. You’re not wrong, but if he finishes the year 6-7 and has a poor bowl performance, like really, this deserves an extension?
This year in a vacuum? No, I don’t. But taken with last year as context (had we played the full schedule, we probably have 5 wins), I agree with an extension. UTEP isn’t going to go from 3-5 to 12-0 over night from year to the next. Asking a coach to show improvement year over year and to build a strong foundation is what UTEP needs, even if only to ensure the next coach doesn’t start from rock bottom like Dimel did.

6-7 would still be a win in my book this season since coming in to the season I only expected 5 wins total. He’s beating the bad teams and mediocre teams who would have otherwise beat UTEP. Now, if the 6-7s keep happening in two years then I agree we need to move on.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
You know what matters ? 8-0 that’s what matters and it has them RANKED. What does their margin of victory look like in those games? Looks pretty wide to me
They beat RICE, La Tech and their FCS team decisively. Every other game has been close.

I think Senter should wait until the regular season is over to decide on an extension. If UTEP finishes 8-4 as should now be well within reach, then extend his contract a couple of years. An extension helps with recruiting. How do recruits commit to a coach if he only has 1 year left.

I think Senter should wait until the regular season is over to decide on an extension. If UTEP finishes 8-4 as should now be well within reach, then extend his contract a couple of years. An extension helps with recruiting. How do recruits commit to a coach if he only has 1 year left.
That's my same feeling too. If we finish 8-4 and win a bowl game then give the man a raise and 4 year extension. If we lose the bowl game then only 2 years.

Personally I think he needs to win more than 6 games, even Kugler won 7. If he goes 6-6 I hope he gets let go. If he goes 8-4 he deserves an extension and raise. 7 will probably get it done too, knowing Senter
Yes. If he goes 6-6 that means he lost 5 in a row. The 6-1 start is nice, but does losing 5 straight and limping into the NM Bowl really an accomplishment?

We have the luxury of waiting because of his age and past. No need to make a foolish decision if it doesn’t work out.

If I were Dimel, I would be upset though. Terry got an extension for a very average job, when it’s a lot easier to win at basketball here, than what Dimel started with. I don’t know how Senter can justify giving Terry the extension, but not Dimel.

lets just all calm down. Professor Dimel is not going nowhere. this year 6 wins plus the bonuses he has already earned puts him a comfortable spot, now consider next year 8 wins keeping him with the current coaching staff. Now, everyone will be on board on a nice raise along with a big increase in season tickets holders. The plan is coming together, just cool your jets.
Lets just take one win at a time. Next win is UTSA..

Reactions: MinerFan79
Personally I think he needs to win more than 6 games, even Kugler won 7. If he goes 6-6 I hope he gets let go. If he goes 8-4 he deserves an extension and raise. 7 will probably get it done too, knowing Senter
The takes in this thread are fascinating. Dimel walked in to an 0-12 team and has built them up to 6 wins in the span of 4 years. Personally I think he’s earned at least a two year contract extension regardless of how the rest of the season goes.

The wins aren’t sexy, but Dimel should get credit for developing a good run game, great DLine and finding gems like Jadrian and Cowing.

The takes in this thread are fascinating. Dimel walked in to an 0-12 team and has built them up to 6 wins in the span of 4 years. Personally I think he’s earned at least a two year contract extension regardless of how the rest of the season goes.

The wins aren’t sexy, but Dimel should get credit for developing a good run game, great DLine and finding gems like Jadrian and Cowing.
Hopefully we win at least one more. Ending the season on 6 game losing streak would leave me feeling very uncomfortable about our future.

The counter to this is, other coaches at others schools don’t take 4 years to go a mediocre 7-6 and it be considered successful. Everyone talks about investing in this and that, but if you keep accepting mediocre results, you’re not really improving. Just because it’s “UTEP football good”, doesn’t mean it’s an actual accomplishment.

Barely being .500 and being a “good season for UTEP” is the reason why we’re at the very bottom of conference expansion lists.

No.

The comeback against FAU this past week is giving me hope.....

But this feels like a 6-7 season.

As good as this team is, this team could be VERY good next year. They are only losing Garrett, Inyang and Caldwell to graduation which means this team returns a ton of talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. If everything falls perfectly (which I know it won’t) they could be the favorites in the West.

Agree but if I learned anything in my 20+ years as a fan is that "UTEP football" and "should win" don't belong in the same sentence.

I think 8 wins is the new goal for the season. With an outside shot at 9 or 10 wins.
Yes sir. Agree. Precisely why I put quotes around should. I do believe we win those two, though.

Reactions: JCorona
lets just all calm down. Professor Dimel is not going nowhere. this year 6 wins plus the bonuses he has already earned puts him a comfortable spot, now consider next year 8 wins keeping him with the current coaching staff. Now, everyone will be on board on a nice raise along with a big increase in season tickets holders. The plan is coming together, just cool your jets.
Lets just take one win at a time. Next win is UTSA..
Except if he has two back to back winning seasons, he might start getting looks from other schools, and all the people here saying he shouldn't get an extension will be the same people shitting on the school for not offering him one sooner when he leaves.

I think if he hits 8 wins AND wins our first bowl game in over 50 years, the man deserves a few years tacked onto his contract.

It's funny to see some of the expectations folks around here have considering what the man walked into and what he's done in just his third real season. Instant success in college football is rare, and when it happens, it usually leaves you scratching your head, because you know the coach did it with the other guys recruits (something we know too well).

UTEP still has a chance at an eight win season. But wait until after we play in a bowl game to announce a contract extension . A three year extension sounds right. Next year is Dimel's fifth.
After eight seasons, if the team shows consistent improvement, give him another extension. Just don't tie UTEP's hands with a long extension. With most of the team returning, next season ought to be good. But we'll have to see if Dimel can keep it up after that. That would be nice.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Hopefully we win at least one more. Ending the season on 6 game losing streak would leave me feeling very uncomfortable about our future.
Yes and no. We knew the week of La Tech that we had an incredibly backloaded schedule. I don’t think we go 0’fer but I wouldn’t be surprised by going 1-3 over the last stretch of the year. @UAB and UTSA are more than likely losses and Rice has a pulse. Conversely I could also see us going 3-1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT