ADVERTISEMENT

How can El Paso make better QBs???

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
El Paso is getting better at sendiing RBs,WRs and other positions to college. But what about QBs?? What are the high schools doing in EL Paso?? I know about Montez but that was just one time. I think EL paso is big enough now that they should be creating some QB college prospects. Does El Paso have like any QB camps? What are the local coaches doing wrong???

1. Most of the top QBs prospects in the nation are attending very pricey camps in California from a very young age. Jordan Palmer now runs a QB school and I assure you the prices are not affordable. So already your at a disadvantage because by the time your ready for high school these recruiters already have seen some of these kids for 7 years lol

2. Now if you possess arm strength and can learn the proper mechanics to become a decent collegiate prospect are you the proper height and weight by the time you hit high school. I remember when I lived in El Paso the second the coach saw you were 6 feet in basketball you played under the basket. Meaning you couldn’t develop your proper dribbling ball handling skills that would make you a better prospect at the next level. Montez I believe at 6’4 or 6’5 you better have a parent that is putting you in positions to be seen as a QB.

3. It comes down to opportunity. Do you have a family willing to put you in front of the right coaches and decision makers. El Paso won’t cut it alone if your attempting to go to the next level but feel you have the right tools. Now as an El Paso athlete get your kid into National camps. Invest thousands of dollars a year in training. And then ensure your kid is at a high school where the coach isn’t playing politics and doesn’t bench your son. Then you give yourself the best opportunity. But unfortunately not every family and parent is thinking this way when their kid is just trying to have some fun on Friday nights.

Agree with ECMiner. Most top level QB’s go through years of camps and get one on one coaching at a young age. Keep in mind Montez’s dad played QB in both college and the pros and was his QB coach in HS. I’m sure Montez’s dad began working with him at a young age and put him through QB drills all year round. Montez had the size, arm strength, foot work, etc. that made him stand out as a recruit In EP. Lets face it, it’s hard to find many 6’4+ QB’s in EP that have those great skills. Skelton was another guy who had similar skills and size as Montez and who’s dad was also a HS coach. Most of the best QBs had fathers who were coaches and received one on one coaching. You will find some good QB‘s in EP that will be 6ft and under, but few that are D1 level material.

We need to send our females to recruiting hot beds, make sure they get pregnant by families of 5 star recruits and then hope they come back to El Paso.

Hankins didn't go elsewhere.
Yeah, UTEP is able to keep a few EP kids. Either because they’re just really not “that good” or UTEP is “guaranteeing” them lots of early play time. Dallas kids go elsewhere too. LA kids do too. Just because you grew up somewhere, doesn’t mean you can’t leave it.

1. Most of the top QBs prospects in the nation are attending very pricey camps in California from a very young age. Jordan Palmer now runs a QB school and I assure you the prices are not affordable. So already your at a disadvantage because by the time your ready for high school these recruiters already have seen some of these kids for 7 years lol

2. Now if you possess arm strength and can learn the proper mechanics to become a decent collegiate prospect are you the proper height and weight by the time you hit high school. I remember when I lived in El Paso the second the coach saw you were 6 feet in basketball you played under the basket. Meaning you couldn’t develop your proper dribbling ball handling skills that would make you a better prospect at the next level. Montez I believe at 6’4 or 6’5 you better have a parent that is putting you in positions to be seen as a QB.

3. It comes down to opportunity. Do you have a family willing to put you in front of the right coaches and decision makers. El Paso won’t cut it alone if your attempting to go to the next level but feel you have the right tools. Now as an El Paso athlete get your kid into National camps. Invest thousands of dollars a year in training. And then ensure your kid is at a high school where the coach isn’t playing politics and doesn’t bench your son. Then you give yourself the best opportunity. But unfortunately not every family and parent is thinking this way when their kid is just trying to have some fun on Friday nights.

I dont follow high school football in El Paso. But what kind of offenses are they running there in EL Paso??I always heard of good RBs in El Paso putting big numbers. But I never heard of a QB or WR putting up big numbers. Who would you say is the best schools in EL Paso for a QB to go to??

Yeah, UTEP is able to keep a few EP kids. Either because they’re just really not “that good” or UTEP is “guaranteeing” them lots of early play time. Dallas kids go elsewhere too. LA kids do too. Just because you grew up somewhere, doesn’t mean you can’t leave it.
Let's say El Paso could produce 3 QB legit college prospects a year. 1 blue chipper/ high major and 2 mid major prospects. I think Montez was a mid major prospect. UTEP doesn't need to get the blue chipper if they could get the 2/3 star prospect . That's fine.

Agree with ECMiner. Most top level QB’s go through years of camps and get one on one coaching at a young age. Keep in mind Montez’s dad played QB in both college and the pros and was his QB coach in HS. I’m sure Montez’s dad began working with him at a young age and put him through QB drills all year round. Montez had the size, arm strength, foot work, etc. that made him stand out as a recruit In EP. Lets face it, it’s hard to find many 6’4+ QB’s in EP that have those great skills. Skelton was another guy who had similar skills and size as Montez and who’s dad was also a HS coach. Most of the best QBs had fathers who were coaches and received one on one coaching. You will find some good QB‘s in EP that will be 6ft and under, but few that are D1 level material.
I can tell you Montez's dad had both his sons do his drills with the varsity QBs since he was a kid. I saw both of them run the drils to develop their feet work and throwing motion.

That is exactly how KJ Lewis is making noise in basketball. In football, the high schools still have the keys to the car, but the top prospects take the car where they can be seen. In basketball, high schools are almost irrelevant, the national camps and tournaments is where its at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT