ADVERTISEMENT

How does Tim Floyd get along with his players

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Does he hang out with them during non basketball season?

Is his office always open?

What about his ex players? does he keep in touch with them?

Is he a friendly person to his players?

Does he hang out with them during non basketball season?

Is his office always open?

What about his ex players? does he keep in touch with them?

Is he a friendly person to his players?
Does he hang with them during the season? Do they go to movies together? Will Floyd be the godfather of their children? Do they share an ice cream cone? Inquiring minds need to know!

Reactions: Carlosergio
Does he hang with them during the season? Do they go to movies together? Will Floyd be the godfather of their children? Do they share an ice cream cone? Inquiring minds need to know!

when I was in a basketball team in school. Our coach was around us almost all the time. He would invite us to his house to stay over and watch movies and just hangout. You also here some players call their coaches father figures. Im just wondering what kind of coach Tim Floyd is? I don't know .... I just watch what he does during basketball games.

Aside from the first one, I think you asked some legitimate questions. I'd probably re-word the last question a little too, but I get why you asked it.

I've been been posting about what appears like a disconnected and fragmented Miner program for over a year. I just don't see all as being well in Minerland.

I also think the inability to reel in any of the top late-signing period targets, aside from a guy from across the pond, might be indicative of an increasing negative perception that people outside of EP have of CTF. I have not heard a good word about Floyd in quite a while from outside of the Miner crowd, and there's even a slowly growing contingent of Miner fans that don't have much good to say about him either.

Waiting for the defend-TF-at-all-cost folks to...

when I was in a basketball team in school. Our coach was around us almost all the time. He would invite us to his house to stay over and watch movies and just hangout. You also here some players call their coaches father figures. Im just wondering what kind of coach Tim Floyd is? I don't know .... I just watch what he does during basketball games.
What grade were you in? The only time I can remember hanging out with coaches was after games when the parents and coaches got drunk together. I guess you can also count the post game EP patriot games at the International Hotel, but that also involved alcohol and by that time players were legal to drink.

What grade were you in? The only time I can remember hanging out with coaches was after games when the parents and coaches got drunk together. I guess you can also count the post game EP patriot games at the International Hotel, but that also involved alcohol and by that time players were legal to drink.

I was in 8th grade but I played varsity basketball. But I also went to a Small Christian school. I know not all coaches are the same they coach a different ways. Im just wondering what kind of coach is Tim Floyd off the court.

I don't know how the team bonds. I'm guessing they probably have cookouts every so often, but that is a good question. I'm pretty sure they don't have movie night in college, though, unless they're watching Glory Road

C'mon fellas! Do you think coach Cal hangs out with his team? How about coach K?
Is he friendly with his players? are you serious? HE IS THE COACH! They aren't supposed to be BFFs.
Does he stay in touch with former players? How about do THEY stay in touch with him?
Is his door open? Really? you honestly think ANY coach wouldnt welcome his players coming to chat with them?

Look, I know where you are going with this. Is it Floyd's fault the team hasn't gelled and played as we would have hoped. Is it Floyd's fault some players never make it here and others leave. Honestly I think it some has to do with the coach, but a lot has to do with the immaturity of the kids.

All I wanna do is win, win win no matter what....

I think its pretty fair to wonder if he is a players coach or not. Nick Saben once stepped over a player who was convulsing and vomiting. Different coaches have different leadership tactics. Its not unusual for many coaches to take in a movie or local attractions while on the road. I have seen visiting teams that play UTEP at the mall, outlet mall, restaurants....I once saw the Hawaii volleyball team at Adventure Zone when they were here to play NMSU years ago.

I have no idea what the answer is but I really don't think its a ridiculous question.

Kick, seriously buddy, you haven't seen Floyd put his arm around the players and smiling? I have. Did you see Floyd on senior night with the guys? Have you heard how he talks about them? You honestly wonder if he would go to the aid of one of his guys if they were throwing up?
You guys seriously sit and wonder if the HC at UTEP hangs out with his guys to bond? (pfff try picturing Kugs hanging out with his players and McDs) The players need to bond with EACH OTHER. They need to buy into what he is teaching them. When they do both of these, you will see a better connection with the coach. Personally, all this is crap.

I just want Floyd to win and get us to the tournament. I could give a rats ass if he hangs out with the team. I see no connection in being a best friend to the kids you are teaching and winning games. It's like a boss being a friend to an employee. It doesn't work well very often.

Ron, you're kinda taking things out of context of bit. You keep saying "you guys..." When in reality one guy asked several questions, a couple of which were legitimate in the opinion of several other posters. I agree with you in that who gives a shit about whether or not TF hang out with his guys, or whether he is friendly or not to them. What does matter is whether he cares about his guys and even more important whether or not they feel he has their backs. You might think the answer to that is a given, but all kids of conditions and variables make that not so black and white. You have to admit that his guys often times seem tentative, almost like they are afraid to "f" up. You hit on a good point about whether his ex players visit him. That would say a lot as to whether or not he is a player's coach. I don't get the sense that he is. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does seem to make a difference, especially at the college level. When you say that "when his players buy into his approach, that's when they'll start winning", I have to chuckle a bit. That's part of being a good coach, getting your players to buy into your philosophy or game plan. Not the other way around. I have no doubt about Floyd's ability to teach the Xs and Os, especially on the defensive end...well maybe I do question his ability to run a fluid offense but that's beside the point. I do question his ability to relate to today's player. His hard line approach is losing it's effect with the modern athlete. There came a point where Bob Knight couldn't connect with his players anymore, so why is it so out of the question that that could be the case with Floyd?

My one glaring criticism of the CTF era has been that I have yet to see a team of his go balls out all season long, with that chip on their shoulder, and gel as a team making each other better. I see individuals performing their own particular function without any sense that when a team gels, it is far greater than just the sum of it's parts. I'll hold out hope that something changes because bottom line is I want the Miners to win. We'll see.

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Kick, seriously buddy, you haven't seen Floyd put his arm around the players and smiling? I have. Did you see Floyd on senior night with the guys? Have you heard how he talks about them? You honestly wonder if he would go to the aid of one of his guys if they were throwing up?
You guys seriously sit and wonder if the HC at UTEP hangs out with his guys to bond? (pfff try picturing Kugs hanging out with his players and McDs) The players need to bond with EACH OTHER. They need to buy into what he is teaching them. When they do both of these, you will see a better connection with the coach. Personally, all this is crap.

I just want Floyd to win and get us to the tournament. I could give a rats ass if he hangs out with the team. I see no connection in being a best friend to the kids you are teaching and winning games. It's like a boss being a friend to an employee. It doesn't work well very often.

Nope, I don't wonder any of that. I am just saying each coach has different methods and its a fair question. As some of you know, I am a local HS head Football Coach and although I don't care how Floyd gets through to his players, I do find the topic interesting to follow. By the way, I need assistants if anyone is interested in coaching.

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Interesting thread. It sorta started out like this: "Has Coach Floyd stopped beating his wife?" A classic trap question but...I was sorta close to Coach Haskins and I never wondered if he was "close" to his players. He wasn't. But as soon as they left the program they loved him to death. How do I know? They called him constantly...for all kinds of reasons...at all hours! He always gave them what they wanted.
Personally, I think that Coach Floyd is an awesome human being. But maybe having four "Head Coaches" on staff might impact negatively on the Esprit d Corp for the players. Too much thinking. Not enough attacking IMHO.

Cicilesie, you make very good points. I really can't argue with much of what you said. As far as my comment about buying into a system, that can be/is a real problem. Getting today's kids to blindly believe what the coaches tell them is damn near impossible. Some are just stubborn and "think" because they have talent, they know more than the coaches. When they let their guard down and trust in the system, they can and will win. Yes, it's the coaches job to get that done. BUT, not all kids will listen regardless...

Love Vegas's take on this thread...cracks me up! Being in the same mold as Haskins, I can see his relationships being the same. You might be on to something about the 4 head coaches idea....hmmm

Hey Kick...with all of us know-it-alls on the board, we could make a killer coaching staff! :) Don't the coaches have to be teachers as well? Or is that old school?

Hey Kick...with all of us know-it-alls on the board, we could make a killer coaching staff! :) Don't the coaches have to be teachers as well? Or is that old school?

Not in NM, you can work on a contract only basis from August-November.

This question could be asked about all the coaches that were here? Not only Basketball but Football is as well. I bet its harder for football coach to be close to all of his players, since there is so many. Some coaches go beyond the court to do there, job and some don't. I t doesn't matter to me if Floyd is not friends with the players or not . Some coaches have different methods. Its just like teachers. Some teacher always had there doors open and you could have lunch in their rooms. Other teachers would be the first ones out when it was time to leave. Im sure we all had these kind of teachers. Im just wondering what Tim Floyd is like?

This question could be asked about all the coaches that were here? Not only Basketball but Football is as well. I bet its harder for football coach to be close to all of his players, since there is so many. Some coaches go beyond the court to do there, job and some don't. I t doesn't matter to me if Floyd is not friends with the players or not . Some coaches have different methods. Its just like teachers. Some teacher always had there doors open and you could have lunch in their rooms. Other teachers would be the first ones out when it was time to leave. Im sure we all had these kind of teachers. Im just wondering what Tim Floyd is like?
I think you are being a drama queen.

haha at me being a drama queen? Who is the one that wants Tim Floyd fired everytime Utep loses a basketball game. Im actually a supporter of Tim Floyd and I think he is doing a great job. Evrytime UTEP loses a basketball game there is like 10 threads about how people want Tim Floyd Fired.

Nope, I don't wonder any of that. I am just saying each coach has different methods and its a fair question. As some of you know, I am a local HS head Football Coach and although I don't care how Floyd gets through to his players, I do find the topic interesting to follow. By the way, I need assistants if anyone is interested in coaching.
If it was for soccer I would take you up on it, I'm a History teacher but not certified in NM.

I don't wanna bust you out as far as your identity on here so I'm gonna guess your initials, been sitting here trying to figure you out. Is it DM? If not, what class were you? I'm sure you know who I am by now. You know you're gonna catch hell for derailing this thread.

I'm not too concerned about anonymity on here. I'm guessing your initials are JJ? I put several summer teams together, at least one of which you played on...if you are the guy we called "La J". Speaking of J, this particular team went over to J-Town for the International Games. We got down 4-1 at half and came back to win 5-4. You crossed the game winner which I headed in. Does that ring a bell? My initials are TL. Class of 88...well 88 1/2.

Sorry to everybody else for the derailment. Being away from EP for 20+ years, and then crossing paths with someone from "home", that I may know, I get a little nostalgic. Moving along...

I'm not too concerned about anonymity on here. I'm guessing your initials are JJ? I put several summer teams together, at least one of which you played on...if you are the guy we called "La J". Speaking of J, this particular team went over to J-Town for the International Games. We got down 4-1 at half and came back to win 5-4. You crossed the game winner which I headed in. Does that ring a bell? My initials are TL. Class of 88...well 88 1/2.

Sorry to everybody else for the derailment. Being away from EP for 20+ years, and then crossing paths with someone from "home", that I may know, I get a little nostalgic. Moving along...

Did you guys play for Santos?

"Wevs?" Damn, It's been so long, is that the name Nando and the rest of the guys would call you? Wow, never took you for a hardcore Miner fan, last I heard you were in Colorado...is that right? You did cross my mind but like I said before, didn't think you were a fellow Miner fan at the time so I thought of somebody else that works with UTEP Athletics. I don't know why I picture you with a sombrero, must have been a pic of you floating around somewhere or you wearing one at home, a party or at games, lol. That's cool, good to hear from you, oh and thanks for reliving an Al Bundy type moment of my athletic prowess back in the day, lol. Take it easy on the Negative Nancies on here...they're a sensitive bunch.

Bring back the Amen chant!

Did you guys play for Santos?
Nah, played against them growing up and didn't care for them much. Don't get me wrong, they were always one of the best teams in town but they were pretty arrogant...I guess wearing the Brazilian colors will do that to ya. Played them in a local tournament in Canutillo one time in the mid 90's and beat them in a semi-final game and the bastards refused to play in the consolation game. The epitome of a classless organization if you ask me.

"Wevs?" Damn, It's been so long, is that the name Nando and the rest of the guys would call you? Wow, never took you for a hardcore Miner fan, last I heard you were in Colorado...is that right? You did cross my mind but like I said before, didn't think you were a fellow Miner fan at the time so I thought of somebody else that works with UTEP Athletics. I don't know why I picture you with a sombrero, must have been a pic of you floating around somewhere or you wearing one at home, a party or at games, lol. That's cool, good to hear from you, oh and thanks for reliving an Al Bundy type moment of my athletic prowess back in the day, lol. Take it easy on the Negative Nancies on here...they're a sensitive bunch.

Yep, you got it. It's damn good to hear from you. So as not to derail the thread any further, when you get some extra time email me at stillpoint1111@yahoo.
It would be great to hear what's going on with you.

No, but I played against them regularly in my later HS years and then in the men's league. Who'd you play with?
Well I'm actually younger than you guys, but I would go watch a lot of club games you guys played in when I was U8 and U10. I played with the 1977-78 age group for Santos and Patriots

Two observations. First, Floyd's teams consistently seem to play tight, particularly in big games. Afraid to make mistakes, waiting for someone else to make the big play, just generally not playing well in key games, often getting beat by teams with lesser talent. Second, Floyd appears to coach tight. Guy looks like a walking aneurism, gets tossed WAY too often, and just generally seems to be ready to kill somebody - friend or foe - at the next bad call. Players know what's going on, coaches simply cannot consistently lose their shit on the sidelines - or the locker room - in the heat of battle.

Bottom line, Floyd has all the ingredients to win at UTEP, just hasn't happened. Many posters here seem to think that hope is a plan. It's not...

It all boils down to leadership. We need a team leader and as stated by laser they seemed
to be waiting for someone to take the lead. Yes, at times they looked like they were afraid to
make mistakes. Vince was not affraid to make mistakes the problem with him was body
control and to anxious to do something good. I can deal with that. What bothers me is the
leadership on the court. In my opinion JW should have been the leader.
If you remember Mckenzie would talk to the guys on the court and the bad thing is his lack
of passion for the game. It seemed like he had other things on his mind. Too bad because
McKenzie was a good player probably the best player on the team including bo and Julian
Go Miners...

Speaking as a coach it's not a good idea to "hang out" with the people you coach. Some lines shouldn't be crossed. A coach got himself in big trouble two years ago for crossing that line. I don't know the NCAA legality of it all, but also as a married family man I try to keep a certain distance. Nowadays many things can be taken the wrong way.

I'm somewhat curious as far as the other questions. I'm guessing it's different depending on the individual player and coach

Just saw last night on Twitter, Kelvin Jones posted that he would go through a wall for the man (Floyd).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT