• 8 or more years

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

KaneFan29

Starter
Jan 8, 2018
What are your expectations for how many seasons he has to get to the dance?

Not how many years, you think it will take. Like how many years to get there before we start wanting to replace him. Is going 8 seasons like we did with Tim Floyd okay?

What are your expectations for how many seasons he has to get to the dance?

Not how many years, you think it will take. Like how many years to get there before we start wanting to replace him. Is going 8 seasons like we did with Tim Floyd okay?
I would like to know your Alias. You have suddenly appeared on this board with some unusual posts.

It varies for me. If he follows the track that D’ Antoni has forged at Marshall, I’d be ok with 5 years. That entails an increase in wins every year and an obvious improvement in the overall condition of the program.

If there aren’t obvious signs of improvement by the end of year 3, perhaps give him a 4th, but with a very short leash and the option to cut ties if it doesn’t go anywhere significant.

Even though it wasn’t an option, I’m going to say 3-5 years.

Last edited:
I would like to know your Alias. You have suddenly appeared on this board with some unusual posts.

KaneFan29 is my alias. Miner1liner is yours. I will try and not use any wrestling talk in my posts since they are unusual. Cool ese?

I found his alias:

mramerica.jpg

Personally, I like the wrestling themed posts.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I say give him enough time for his first recruiting class to graduate. If we don't make the tournament by then then he should be fired.

Dimel had said in an interview that he would not have taken the UTEP job if he was not guaranteed 4 - 5 years to right the shit. Can’t imagine Terry would get any less.

Five years. That's an ample amount of time at a "mid-major" school like UTEP to get us a CUSA Championship and into the NCAA Tournament. I personally believe he'll accomplish this by year three.

That would be glorious!

Football picks up 20 - 25 recruits per season. Basketball picks up 3 - 4. Each coach needs to fill a roster with his own recruits to reflect the type of team he is developing. So four to five seasons for each sport will show us where our new coaches are taking us. Hope to see significant progress in both. Good luck and good skill to both Coach Dimel and Coach Terry. Go Miners.

I don’t remember who said it, but they said ‘you should know the direction of the program after 3 seasons.’

That doesn’t mean that you’re a winner by the third year. It just means that you can see the vision.

Dimel had said in an interview that he would not have taken the UTEP job if he was not guaranteed 4 - 5 years to right the shit. Can’t imagine Terry would get any less.
True, but understand that Basketball turn arounds are typically quicker than football. 2 or 3 players can make a difference from one year to the other. This was proven by Gillespie and Barbee. That's what was so disappointing about Floyd! He had one really great coaching year, when we had a NCAA team and we lost tgose players at the beginning of the year and still won 20+ last year the recovery in Conf play to get into top 4 was also impressive. However they never turned the corner or advanced to even semifinals of Conf Tourney. 1st year was Barbees team and had tourney wrapped with a bow at home and Floyd couldn't even deliver. I say next year a CBI type of year the following NIT if they don't win tourney and following year NCAA

True, but understand that Basketball turn arounds are typically quicker than football. 2 or 3 players can make a difference from one year to the other. This was proven by Gillespie and Barbee. That's what was so disappointing about Floyd! He had one really great coaching year, when we had a NCAA team and we lost tgose players at the beginning of the year and still won 20+ last year the recovery in Conf play to get into top 4 was also impressive. However they never turned the corner or advanced to even semifinals of Conf Tourney. 1st year was Barbees team and had tourney wrapped with a bow at home and Floyd couldn't even deliver. I say next year a CBI type of year the following NIT if they don't win tourney and following year NCAA

I agree to a point. At a power 5 school they can get one and dones and finished players. At this level you have to recruit guys with upside and develop them. At thos level veteran teams win. Thats where we have been lacking player development. I think the team will be competitive in year 3.

I feel like Floyd left a mess, but a workable mess. I was really encouraged by Gilyards play down the stretch and I think Mcgee will continue to improve and push him, if they stay of course. Smith has a huge upside. A lot of talk about his stamina issues, but he reported overweight and I feel he was showing signs of improvement there when he went down with the knee. He never had the chance to play himself back into shape afterwards. With a good off season conditioning program and a healthy season, we could see some valuable play from him. He expends so much energy both on the court and on the bench. After losing Wilmms and the dumbass Jones, we can't lose another big this off season. Sorry, but I don't consider Thomas a big, certainly didn't play like one this year. Someone mentioned that Thomas style of play is better facing the basket and off the dribble. I don't think he's got the quickness to pull that off at this level. I'm not optimistic about Thomas at all. Wade and Osbourne have enough upside to work with and their year of experience could be huge next year. Can't lose either of them. Natty is right. With 2 or 3 well placed bigs, another mid sized shooter, this team can make some noise sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Lil_Train
As far as the subject of this thread, jeez...let the man put a year in at least before this is discussed. My opinion.

Reactions: Dmanminer
You have to give a college fb coach at least 2 to 3 years. It takes two years just to implement the defensive schemes. So four four is ample time, IMO.

Basketball is another animal but three is enough. BG spoiled UTEP. Barbee progress was more realistic. But, mid major basketball teams don't reload, they have to restock so therefore, you will have not so good years.

You have to give a college fb coach at least 2 to 3 years. It takes two years just to implement the defensive schemes. So four four is ample time, IMO.

Basketball is another animal but three is enough. BG spoiled UTEP. Barbee progress was more realistic. But, mid major basketball teams don't reload, they have to restock so therefore, you will have not so good years.
I disagree. Depends if they go the high school rout or transfer rout JC or Grad Transfers. Look at Nevada this year!

I disagree. Depends if they go the high school rout or transfer rout JC or Grad Transfers. Look at Nevada this year!
True. MTSU as well if your talking basketball. But you need HS recruits to build foundation.

Actually, for a quick turnaround, I would look at the Western Kentucky model from last year. They had a sprinkling of solid grad transfers, jc transfers, and some highly rated freshmen. If Robinson and Branger had also made it on the team, they would have likely have made the tournament. Really, their only contributor from the previous year was Johnson. Point is, Terry needs to bring in the the best available talent by any route possible. This includes Prop 48 guys as well. This should be the approach every year, in my opinion.

The ink on the marriage license is not even dry, and y'all are already planning the funeral. SMH.

I guess you could perceive it that way. Or, because of the long, dysfunctional “marriage” with Floyd, one might ponder such a legitimate question in hopes that history doesn’t repeat itself. I’ve seen nothing other than positive speculation about the direction he’ll take us, but it’s still no guarantee that CRT will take us to the promised land. I’m quite sure that aside from those who were ok with Floyd and the 7 year drought, most wont want to drag it out that long again. It’s a harmless “just in case” kind of question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT