ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP wants to replace the 3 cancelled games....

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Here is a quick, not complete, list of teams with openings that could play on the dates UTEP has available. Will be interesting to see the UTEP announcement later today to see if they have added any of these teams. Now if UTEP adds for road paydays Liberty has money coming out of their ears. So does Clemson. Ideally, looking at the list, we add Houston on 9/5, Clemson on 9/19 and Liberty on 10/3, all on the road for decent checks.

Sept 5
Liberty; ULM; Troy; UCF; Houston; ECU; Georgia Southern; Tulsa; USF; Temple; AFA

Sept 19
Clemson; South Alabama; Arkansas St; BYU; ECU; Tulsa; USF; Temple; Army; AFA; Notre Dame

Sept 26
ULM; Texas St; SMU; Army

Oct 3
Liberty; Houston; ULL; Texas St; Temple; Army; Wake Forest

Here is a quick, not complete, list of teams with openings that could play on the dates UTEP has available. Will be interesting to see the UTEP announcement later today to see if they have added any of these teams. Now if UTEP adds for road paydays Liberty has money coming out of their ears. So does Clemson. Ideally, looking at the list, we add Houston on 9/5, Clemson on 9/19 and Liberty on 10/3, all on the road for decent checks.

Sept 5
Liberty; ULM; Troy; UCF; Houston; ECU; Georgia Southern; Tulsa; USF; Temple; AFA

Sept 19
Clemson; South Alabama; Arkansas St; BYU; ECU; Tulsa; USF; Temple; Army; AFA; Notre Dame

Sept 26
ULM; Texas St; SMU; Army

Oct 3
What would be the final score of the Clemson game?

Houston and liberty would not be for decent checks. If anything it would cover travel cost. Even Clemson maybe 500,000. There aren't going to be huge payouts this year. Six home games six road games. Absolutely no need for eight road games.

It does, but BYU won’t pay us $1.4 million and we run the risk of infection from traveling and playing another team, jeopardizing the UT game. Plus they already scheduled Navy for 9/7. Would have to play them on 8/29. Which is 16 days away.
As of now BYU is available on 9/19 as well. That can change quickly the way things are these days.

As of now BYU is available on 9/19 as well. That can change quickly the way things are these days.

Yeah, I just think that IF we get to 8/29 and 9/5, there will be an “outbreak” and the season will be cancelled then. That’s IF we even get there. There will be a team playing on 9/5 that screws it up for the rest.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I think NoWins makes a solid point that UTEP should probably not do anything to jeopardize the UT game. Without that pay day, there probably isn't much reason to attempt a season. So protect that game first, play no games prior, and then get in what you can after that.

As MIW posted, maybe if we get a pay day to play at BYU a week later, then it wouldn't hurt to take it. Last week, Teicher seemed to indicate on the radio that UTEP was working on a Sept. 5 game replacement, but of course a lot has changed in a week.

I think NoWins makes a solid point that UTEP should probably not do anything to jeopardize the UT game. Without that payday, there probably isn't much reason to attempt a season. So protect that game first, play no games prior, and then get in what you can after that.

As MIW posted, maybe if we get a pay day to play at BYU a week later, then it wouldn't hurt to take it. Last week, Teicher seemed to indicate on the radio that UTEP was working on a Sept. 7 game replacement, but of course a lot has changed in a week.

It’s UT or bust, unless someone comes over the top of $1.4 million for 8/29 or 9/5.

It would be a win-win for both teams. UTEP gets a check, and Clemson gets to quarantine their first, second, and third strings to make sure they're OK for conference play.
I see what you did there, very clever. I wont fall for your insult.
JK, nice one

I like the idea of a second money game. Three or four seems like a suicide mission, but maybe a justifiable evil... if the games are played.

Even then, who knows if Clemson or Liberty is willing to risk or spare the cash. Maybe they're offering way less than normal, which may not be worth the trouble of traveling across the country (BYU excluded).

I'd even be curious to know if there's an "act of God" clause in the Texas contract, since they won't be allowed to fill the stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Don't think in the current economic environment anybody, money or not will be paying out loads of cash for a game. It's one thing to take a beating for 1.3 million and something else to take one for 250,000.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Sept 5

Sept 19

Sept 26
ULM; Texas St; SMU; Army

Oct 3
What benefit is there to Clemson to add UTEP to their schedule? I don't think they need to buy a win. With low-capacity (if any) crowds, I don't think these types of games will be profitable this season for teams to pay $1 million for money games.

Maybe independents like Liberty and BYU would, since they'll have trouble filling their schedule. Notre Dame won't, because they have an agreement to play ACC teams.

What benefit is there to Clemson to add UTEP to their schedule? I don't think they need to buy a win. With low-capacity (if any) crowds, I don't think these types of games will be profitable this season for teams to pay $1 million for money games.

Maybe independents like Liberty and BYU would, since they'll have trouble filling their schedule. Notre Dame won't, because they have an agreement to play ACC teams.

The benefit for Clemson is, getting a tune up before conference games and having some younger players play against an inferior team.

Clemson and a lot of other football schools can afford $1m to play UTEP. If I were Clemson, I would pick a school closer, but who knows. I just don’t see them scheduling us.

If the Citadel only plays a 4 game schedule(per the above article), does that mean that their entire team will get to redshirt this year?
This should be in the plans for some UTEP players now. Play only 50% of the games and get an extra year.

I feel bad for Wadley having to go through so much and having this end up being his senior year. He can't catch a break.

I think NoWins makes a solid point that UTEP should probably not do anything to jeopardize the UT game. Without that pay day, there probably isn't much reason to attempt a season. So protect that game first, play no games prior, and then get in what you can after that.

As MIW posted, maybe if we get a pay day to play at BYU a week later, then it wouldn't hurt to take it. Last week, Teicher seemed to indicate on the radio that UTEP was working on a Sept. 5 game replacement, but of course a lot has changed in a week.
UT made the "Family first" for the UT game after SEC announcement. This game will pay assistants salaries.

UTEP is in a better situation up as compared to up 45 miles up north.

There are some of you on here saying independence was the way to go like NMSU earlier this year. How do you feel now?

You gags on here need to shut up and take your diatribe to Las Crucens.

Reactions: Cube Jack
UT made the "Family first" for the UT game after SEC announcement. This game will pay assistants salaries.

There are some of you on here saying independence was the way to go like NMSU earlier this year. How do you feel now?

You gags on here need to shut up and take your diatribe to Las Crucens.

Why do you always compare UTEP to NMSU? Why are you so worried about what they do?

Yes, we did say going independent was the way to go. This was before the coronavirus.

I bet you that if UTEP doesn't play one game you won't say a beep.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

UTEP appears to be in a better situation at the moment, want to bet it will change before 9/12?

I always said I would have to see real numbers to see if going Independent/WAC was viable. There’s a handful of us that would like to see it explored.

I guess finishing in double digit place every year in a pathetic CUSA, is a great achievement to you 2Step. Wave that CUSA flag, loud and proud!!! Terry finished in 11th place this year, wowsies!!!!!!

You’re right things can change. What if after this pandemic things do change. The P5 stops paying as much for games. What if they like only having to play 1 or 2 ooc games a year? There’s no stability in independence for a bottom FBS team that’s located in the middle of FBS no man’s land.

You’re right things can change. What if after this pandemic things do change. The P5 stops paying as much for games. What if they like only having to play 1 or 2 ooc games a year? There’s no stability in independence for a bottom FBS team that’s located in the middle of FBS no man’s land.

Unless a no-brainer move (UTEP to MWC, SMU to Big 12, etc), all conference moves should be put on hold until we see how everything shakes out with COVID.

If the P5 stops paying as much for games, that would affect UTEP and CUSA too. Imagine playing 10 CUSA games a year? If you’re completing a 12 game schedule, that’s only good in quantity only.

Last edited:
Unless a no-brainer move (UTEP to MWC, SMU to Big 12, etc), all conference moves should be put on hold until we see how everything shakes out with COVID.

If the P5 stops paying as much for games, that would affect UTEP and CUSA too. Imagine playing 10 CUSA games a year? If you’re completing a 12 game schedule, that’s only good in quantity only.
What’s better playing 10 conference games or not being able to schedule 10 games?

Reactions: FeralFelidae
What’s better playing 10 conference games or not being able to schedule 10 games?

10 conference games, obviously.

We’re both poor. You can afford to buy a 6er of Natty Light and a 12 pack of Ramen 8 times a year and I can only afford it 5 times a year. You’re so much better off!!!!!!

10 conference games, obviously.

We’re both poor. You can afford to buy a 6er of Natty Light and a 12 pack of Ramen 8 times a year and I can only afford it 5 times a year. You’re so much better off!!!!!!
It’s more like we’re both poor but we can afford a studio in the middle of crackville, they’ll be next to us in a tent.

Yes we would be better off!!!!!!!

I rather finish in last place in shitty cusa than have our program dropped to FCS or eliminated at all together.

Which is a strong possibility for NMSU under the scenarios described above.

That’s you.

I would rather compete in a better geographical conference in basketball instead of competing to make the CUSA tournament. The football team sucks, no matter who we play. No P5 wins since 1967, no bowl wins outside of El Paso, only 14 bowl games in like 100 years. I know what we have. You can change the coaches and the opponents, I know that UTEP football will never be good, outside of a fluke year here and there. 14 out of every 100 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT