ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP wants to replace the 3 cancelled games....

So in other words you rather have our football program potentially eliminated or dropped down to fcs so that we can join Orem Valley in the WaC.

Great reasoning.

Reactions: Cube Jack
So in other words you rather have our football program potentially eliminated or dropped down to fcs so that we can join Orem Valley in the WaC.

Great reasoning.

Yes

You wouldn’t keep your own business open if you were successful 14% of the time.

Also to use your analogy. The dude in the tent is pulling hotter/more chicks and going on better vacations, then the dude in the shithole apartment. And when they compete head to head, the tent guy is more successful too! Meanwhile the guy is shithole apartment is still complaining about the previous owners and tenants, despite all the “advantages” of not living in a tent.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Yes

You wouldn’t keep your own business open if you were successful 14% of the time.

Also to use your analogy. The dude in the tent is pulling hotter/more chicks and going on better vacations, then the dude in the shithole apartment. And when they compete head to head, the tent guy is more successful too! Meanwhile the guy is shithole apartment is still complaining about the previous owners and tenants, despite all the “advantages” of not living in a tent.
If I had the opportunities I would keep the business open until it’s either successful or completely bankrupt. I would never shut it down and quit until forced to.

Reading an article on krod.com where Senter is quoted as saying he is talking to Southland conference teams plus BYU, Liberty and Army about filling UTEPs schedule and might have an announcement within 72 hours. That was Thursday so maybe tomorrow. Also if the Miners were good on their Thursday covid tests they should be practicing in pads today. Anyone aware if the team is practicing?

Reactions: minerfan_14
Reading an article on krod.com where Senter is quoted as saying he is talking to Southland conference teams plus BYU, Liberty and Army about filling UTEPs schedule and might have an announcement within 72 hours. That was Thursday so maybe tomorrow. Also if the Miners were good on their Thursday covid tests they should be practicing in pads today. Anyone aware if the team is practicing?
Delayed again
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...ay-start-football-camp-third-time/3330101001/

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
UTEP doesn't have the money to pay a private lab for quick turnaround tests/results (unlike NBA, etc..)
So are they using the school nurse or what? If they can't get results back in a timely and reliable way, they should just shut down the season.

So are they using the school nurse or what? If they can't get results back in a timely and reliable way, they should just shut down the season.
Just depends on the lab. I assume they are using the same as the city. Turnaround can take 2 days +

UTEP is providing free voluntary testing to all faculty, staff and students.
Same as the city. Unfortunately test results take a while.

We had a rapid PCR turnaround (45 minutes) about 2 months ago but the reagent used to run the test ran out quickly. Haven't seen the test since.

Last edited:

Army would be ok. BYU would be awesome.

Army would be ok. BYU would be awesome.

I don’t know why we don’t schedule Army in basketball. Could be a suitable team for the Sun Bowl Tournament or just a regular game. Could run a promo with the base and get a better crowd than Pine Bluff easily.

UTEP should schedule BYU in all sports. Should be playing them every 3 years or so.

That's literally the last team I would want to schedule. Their coach Colby Carthel lobbied hard for the UTEP job. He wanted the job several big name high school coaches from outside El Paso called Senter on Carthel's behalf. Hrs going to have something to prove. We're going to pay them to come here and their coach will have huge chip his shoulder. Dangerous game. They started rough last year but won three of their last four. If nothing else if anybody in the media has any balls they will ask Senter why he passed over a coach who had just won a d2 national championship for Dimel.

Last year we both played a big 12 team. They lost by 39 at #13 Baylor (11-3) we lost by 35 at Texas Tech (4-8).

This has f*ck up written all over it. Worst case scenario we lose, have an outbreak, and also lose the Texas paycheck. Best case scenario we find out Dimel can beat a bottom tier FCS southland team.

Last year we both played a big 12 team. They lost by 39 at #13 Baylor (11-3) we lost by 35 at Texas Tech (4-8).

This has f*ck up written all over it. Worst case scenario we lose, have an outbreak, and also lose the Texas paycheck. Best case scenario we find out Dimel can beat a bottom tier FCS southland team.

They also lost to then D2 Tarleton State the week after Baylor. If we can’t beat SFA, we are in deep, deep shit.

That's literally the last team I would want to schedule. Their coach Colby Carthel lobbied hard for the UTEP job. He wanted the job several big name high school coaches from outside El Paso called Senter on Carthel's behalf. Hrs going to have something to prove. We're going to pay them to come here and their coach will have huge chip his shoulder. Dangerous game. They started rough last year but won three of their last four. If nothing else if anybody in the media has any balls they will ask Senter why he passed over a coach who had just won a d2 national championship for Dimel.
SFA won 2 out of last 4 and won 3 total, all over losing teams. It will be a dangerous game for UTEP only because all games against any team is dangerous for the Miners. This will be the start of the "fire Dimel" movement if UTEP were to lose. If UTEP wins it will be "let's wait for a few games to see how the Miners are doing".

I agree about their coach. We should have hired him or almost anyone, over Dimel. Dimel needs to show solid improvement this year, period. If UTEP can't win this game, fire Dimel.

Why would you play before the Texas game. If we play, then have to cancel Texas, both Senter and Dismel need to be fired. Contracts be damned.

Why would you play before the Texas game. If we play, then have to cancel Texas, both Senter and Dismel need to be fired. Contracts be damned.

The Texas game is important but it's not going to make us or break us. Senter is living in dream world if he thinks hes getting 1.4. Million he may get half. At this point we're playing a need to play 12 games so a final judgement can me made on Dimel's. The money from the longhorn game will probably be a wash. Covid testing is going to cost the department between 350 and 400 I according to Senter and he we bring in an FCS team even with reduced payouts it'll probably at minimum cost 150k maybe more.

I'm still not convinced we will have football this fall. I hope you guys are right
I'm with ya on that one. Colleges will have to go virtual, if not already, because outbreaks are happening and football players don't live on an island.

Florida State now needs an opponent for 9/19 after Samford canceled. We don’t have a game scheduled for that date. Make it work Senter. Much better option than playing at ULM.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT