ADVERTISEMENT

If you were Utep Football coach

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
How would you build a winner?

If i was coach i would run a spread offense. I Would then start by going after a top juco QB . I would want a running QB. Go after a RB like Howard Jackson. Y'all remember him? He was awesome.

Then on Defense get me a coach that blitzes a lot. I wouldn't care what kind of defense he runs but one that blitzes a lot.

That's what I would do.

Reactions: CubsFan81
First you need an AD and President who are committed to winning and improving athletics. Everything trickles down from the top to the bottom. A committed president puts pressure on the AD, the AD puts pressure on the coach. This is a good recipe for success. You will have a hard time being a winner when the president hates athletics and could not name one current player on the football roster and your AD has an "AHH shucks.... it could be worse" mentality.

Then I agree with your spread offense idea. The spread offense is almost a must now in football. The power run offense days are long gone and it is ineffective.

How would you build a winner?

If i was coach i would run a spread offense. I Would then start by going after a top juco QB . I would want a running QB. Go after a RB like Howard Jackson. Y'all remember him? He was awesome.

Then on Defense get me a coach that blitzes a lot. I wouldn't care what kind of defense he runs but one that blitzes a lot.

That's what I would do.

Make out three envelopes...

Reactions: UTEP05
If I was hiring a Coach at UTEP, I would try to find someone who has worked under current Washington Head Coach Chris Petersen and also knows how Boise State models their program. So if I could find a former Assistant Head Coach at Boise State, that would be perfect.

Then I think that it would be helpful to have a Coach who has some NFL experience as well, like maybe say 11 years worth of NFL Coaching experience.

Then because everyone around here freaks out when Coaches leave, I would try to find a former UTEP player who likley has a higher level of loyalty than most.

Then because El Paso is a difficult place to recruit to, I would like to hire a former UTEP Assistant Coach who has Coached and recruited here before and knows the challenges.

I also think that we need a Coach who is committed to building his programs along both lines of scrimmage.

Additionally, we need a Coach who will recruit at least 90% High School players, without going heavily in the sometimes problematic JC route.

It would also be nice if we had a Coach who isn't afraid to recruit locally when warranted.

Finally, we need a Coach who can run a good academic program as well and keep all of these long term high school recruits eligible.

Oh wait, Sean Kugler has been exactly all of these things!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kugler

Sean Kugler is the only person in UTEP history who has played in a Bowl Game for UTEP, been an Assistant Coach in a Bowl Game for UTEP, and also been a Head Coach for UTEP in a Bowl Game.

UTEP has only had 5 winning seasons and bowl games while I have been alive. Kugler has been a direct part of 3 of them.

Yes, things have been rough, but he didn't inherit Alabama's Program, he inherited a 3 win football team. Admittably this season has been a disapointment thus far, but in my book, the man has earned the right to get a little more time to turn this thing around.

Last edited:
By the way, as I was thinking about Kugler's past at UTEP, I realized that there is one person out there right now who also played in a Bowl Game for UTEP, was an Assistant Coach in a Bowl Game for UTEP, and now is beginning to get some NFL Coaching experience also for a very good defense. This guy has followed a very similar path as Kugler did, I wonder if one day in the distant future, this guy might be able to become our Head Coach:

http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/robert-rodriguez/f0b8a402-db36-4692-887c-fdfd3f5f2fba

My only problem with Robert Rodriguez would be his lack of head coaching experience. At the end of the day he is an unknown comodity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT