ADVERTISEMENT

Its official. EVERYTHING is now cancelled.

This is not a conspiracy. The entire world didnt create a panic so that Trump isnt relected.

Is the media fact checking Trumps every word and taking advantage of this? Yes.

But truth is that this CAN be really bad if drastic measures arent taken. That has nothing to do with politics.

Can we keep this thread about the Corona Virus? Mention Trump and it all goes haywire.
Read an academic write up from some national level scientific journal and the scientific community is leaning towards an open fish and live animal market in Hunei (spelling is wrong) in Wuhan Province.

This respiratory virus, like the SARS from years past, come mainly from bat colonies and jump to other animals and livestock AND RARELY jump to humans BUT WHEN THEY DO, it's spreads quickly in these open markets.

Surviving patients in China who beat it are reporting burdened breathing after "brisk activities". I take that as it leaves damage to the respiratory system/lungs.

Not finger pointing but according to science journals, this "family" of SARS are specifically coming from Chinese animal markets and now China and U.S. are trading barbs.

Reactions: minermx07
2 things I hope happen going forward. These things shouldn't be partisan. More emergency preparedness at all levels. Just a lack of resources to fight this pandemic. Next, more regulation of open air markets.

This virologists basically said those markets were petridishes of diseases and it's been a miracle we've had so few pandemics.

He made the point that he literally saw ferets who are big carriers of diseases in cages next to rotisserie chickens which people consume. And he made the point you couldn't ask for better conditions to create a new disease.

2 things I hope happen going forward. These things shouldn't be partisan. More emergency preparedness at all levels. Just a lack of resources to fight this pandemic. Next, more regulation of open air markets.

This virologists basically said those markets were petridishes of diseases and it's been a miracle we've had so few pandemics.

He made the point that he literally saw ferets who are big carriers of diseases in cages next to rotisserie chickens which people consume. And he made the point you couldn't ask for better conditions to create a new disease.
I stated earlier China's open markets are spreading SARS viruses. These viruses start in bat colonies and spread to animals and rarely jump to people. When it does jump to people....well, this is a fool me twice on humanity because there is no international pressure on China and other countries to regulate markets that sell animals on extinction lists and have no medicinal purpose. Rhino's are going the way of the do do bird because the belief of the horn having medical properties.

UTEP is very concerned and monitoring the Coronavirus closely. This respiratory illness can really wipe out the elderly, aka, the UTEP fanbase.

Hey KB, are El Paso schools on spring break this week? And if so, was it extended an extra week? Everybody here in south/central Texas just found out we have another week, at least, off.

Hey KB, are El Paso schools on spring break this week? And if so, was it extended an extra week? Everybody here in south/central Texas just found out we have another week, at least, off.

Yes, but I'm New Mexico. We are off until April 6th. EPISD returns March 30.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
From what I understand SISD teachers will report back to small group training on distance learning. I am currently preparing online lessons for my students. It is looking like all UIL spring sports will be cancelled, IMO only. Texas has waved all state test STAAR testing for this year. If the virus continues to spread throughout the country like in New York, California and Washington State, I could see the rest of the school year being done online. I was in Amarillo last week with my team and all travel throughout the district were ordered to return to El Paso as soon as possible. I had to have the conversation with my seniors that they may have played their last match. This is a very sad situation and all precautions need to be taken.

From what I understand SISD teachers will report back to small group training on distance learning. I am currently preparing online lessons for my students. It is looking like all UIL spring sports will be cancelled, IMO only. Texas has waved all state test STAAR testing for this year. If the virus continues to spread throughout the country like in New York, California and Washington State, I could see the rest of the school year being done online. I was in Amarillo last week with my team and all travel throughout the district were ordered to return to El Paso as soon as possible. I had to have the conversation with my seniors that they may have played their last match. This is a very sad situation and all precautions need to be taken.

Hey Stanman, how do you think students will respond to doing their work online? I have a feeling many will say, 'I dont have internet.'

Hey Stanman, how do you think students will respond to doing their work online? I have a feeling many will say, 'I dont have internet.'

Mine have already done some assignments online. There are a few and teachers will have to meet that challenge in some other way. Spectrum is offering free internet hookups so families with children who need it for school. I have the feeling that we are looking at no classes through April.

My understanding is that the student do not have to do the work. As long as we provide the opportunity for learning it is up to the student to do the work. But there are going to be some that don’t have the resources to do the work. This whole online learning experiment will be an ongoing work in progress is my guess.

Reactions: develman

Same, however the students don’t have to start the work until next week. Our lessons aren’t even due until EOB Thursday.

I wonder if the people who thought this was an overreaction have changed their minds yet?
Yes and no. I've come around on the canceling everything, no matter how disappointed I was. On the other hand, I think the hysteria and the hoarding, etc., is still an overreaction. I've been lamenting over the past week or so about how this is all that it takes for society to crumble over two weeks. OK, that's a bit hyperbolic.

The thing I'm starting to worry about is when the next thing comes. Let's say all these measures stem the tide and instead of half the US population getting infected, it's 500K. And 2 years from now, Covid times 10 breaks out. Is the lesson learned that the social distancing lessened the impact? Or is it that everybody overhyped the coronavirus and nothing really happened, so there's nothing to worry about?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Yes and no. I've come around on the canceling everything, no matter how disappointed I was. On the other hand, I think the hysteria and the hoarding, etc., is still an overreaction. I've been lamenting over the past week or so about how this is all that it takes for society to crumble over two weeks. OK, that's a bit hyperbolic.

The thing I'm starting to worry about is when the next thing comes. Let's say all these measures stem the tide and instead of half the US population getting infected, it's 500K. And 2 years from now, Covid times 10 breaks out. Is the lesson learned that the social distancing lessened the impact? Or is it that everybody overhyped the coronavirus and nothing really happened, so there's nothing to worry about?
I think the politicizing Ebola really hurt this crisis. Any reading of the science would say it wasn't a danger. Plus Y2k and 2012. People have learned to be dismissive.

My worry as a teacher coach is THAT teacher that will punitively grade students on their lack of work during this shutdown.

In New Mexico, our eligibility for the fall is based on a students 4th quarter grades. And if they have an F they are ineligible the first 9 weeks of quarter 1.

I think the politicizing Ebola really hurt this crisis. Any reading of the science would say it wasn't a danger. Plus Y2k and 2012. People have learned to be dismissive.
If there were an Ebola pandemic it would shut down life as we know it. A total disaster. Survival of the fittest with potentially zero help at its peak.

Right now the death rate for COVID19 is 3-4% worldwide (some areas better and some areas worse based on demographics, population, age, culture, etc..). The death rate for Ebola viruses can be above 85% and its treated entirely different than COVID19 in terms of quarentine and potential disaster.

The corona virus will continue to spread and infect. All we can do is follow instructions to lower transmission. The more tests we get the more positives we will get and the longer we will be asked to keep our distance from one another. I think the survival rate will also go up and I imagine the death rate will drop also. Remember, the more tests we do the less the numbers are skewed. They can potentially go up or down.

As STex said, the hysteria and hoarding is an overreaction. The closures suck, but they are necessary. The hysteria and aftermath of an Ebola pandemic would compound the death rate to nearly 100%.

As far as the hospitals are concerned the situation is fluid. We are getting updated info and testing criteria daily. Once we have more tests and the testing criteria drops to nearly everybody with any symptom, the hospitals will triage outside and send everybody that doesn't require admission to go home and self quarentine. This will be a very high percentage of people.

I provided the John's Hopkins website on another post where everybody can track the numbers. There is an interactive map that is fluid and a lot of other good info.

As STex said, the hysteria and hoarding is an overreaction.

So I don't think the "hysteria" is an "over" reaction. It's a reaction. This shit is for real. And I think doing things like closing bars and limiting restaurants to take-out and delivery are good things to do at this time. Anything that flattens the curve is a *good* thing.

Hoarding, on the other hand, is ****ing stupid. That, my friend, IS and *over* reaction. Buying 40 cases of Costco bottled water and 400 rolls of toilet paper is NOT going to protect anyone from contracting COVID-19.

Buy what you need. The robots making toilet paper have not been shut down. They are still running. The delivery trucks are still running. The stores are still receiving product. Just don't be a ****ing asshole like that jackass that had 17,700 bottles of sanitizing lotion. **** him. He put 17,700 lives at risk. I hope they nail his ass.

So I don't think the "hysteria" is an "over" reaction. It's a reaction. This shit is for real. And I think doing things like closing bars and limiting restaurants to take-out and delivery are good things to do at this time. Anything that flattens the curve is a *good* thing.

Hoarding, on the other hand, is ****ing stupid. That, my friend, IS and *over* reaction. Buying 40 cases of Costco bottled water and 400 rolls of toilet paper is NOT going to protect anyone from contracting COVID-19.

Buy what you need. The robots making toilet paper have not been shut down. They are still running. The delivery trucks are still running. The stores are still receiving product. Just don't be a ****ing asshole like that jackass that had 17,700 bottles of sanitizing lotion. **** him. He put 17,700 lives at risk. I hope they nail his ass.

While I agree the guy is a moron for hoarding and attempting to price gouge, I don't think anyone's life is going to be saved buy a little bottle of equate hand sanitizer

Reactions: MinerJo
While I agree the guy is a moron for hoarding and attempting to price gouge, I don't think anyone's life is going to be saved buy a little bottle of equate hand sanitizer

You sure about that? If I came into contact with someone that has COVID-19 and the simple act of applying some hand sanitizer actually killed the virus that s/he had passed on to me resulting in me not contracting the virus I'd be pretty ****ing lucky.

Every little thing helps. Even a tiny little bit of hand sanitizer.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
COVID 19 is not bad in El Paso but other parts of the state are different. The good thing is that so far there is no evidence of community spread in Texas. Community spread is the big thing and we must do our part to stop that as much as possible, and that means no large gatherings. Another big problem is that a person can be contagious without having any symptoms. One of my former students who lives in Nashville is in quarantine and awaiting the results of his COVID 19 test. He tested negative for the flu so the likelihood of him having it is high. He would be a case of community spread.

Yes, I still think it's an overreaction. Cancel things for a week or two. For two months. No.

It seems like it but if nothing is done and 1% of the population is infected, our nation doesn't have the resources and beds to deal with that. Hospitals maintain about a 65% normal occupancy so 1% of the population would be chaos.

The overreaction is by the people Hoarding Toliet Paper and Hand Santizer. Buying 200 pounds of rice and beans...etc..

It seems like it but if nothing is done and 1% of the population is infected, our nation doesn't have the resources and beds to deal with that. Hospitals maintain about a 65% normal occupancy so 1% of the population would be chaos.

The overreaction is by the people Hoarding Toliet Paper and Hand Santizer. Buying 200 pounds of rice and beans...etc..

In China (which a population 4x the US) less than 100,000 have been affected.

I really don't think over 3 million people will be infected.

They locked down the country in China. No stores are open other than for food. Nobody is allowed outside unless they are going to get food or other items needed to survive. They have been doing this for the past 8 weeks. That is why things are not in total chaos there.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
They locked down the country in China. No stores are open other than for food. Nobody is allowed outside unless they are going to get food or other items needed to survive. They have been doing this for the past 8 weeks. That is why things are not in total chaos there.

Yes, and because it originated in China.

I am going to choose not to panic. I hope everybody takes a deep breath and calm down. We will be back to normal in a few months.

They also completely shut down Wuhan and power washed that bitch with bleach for a week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT