ADVERTISEMENT

Its official. EVERYTHING is now cancelled.

COVID 19 is not bad in El Paso but other parts of the state are different. The good thing is that so far there is no evidence of community spread in Texas. Community spread is the big thing and we must do our part to stop that as much as possible, and that means no large gatherings. Another big problem is that a person can be contagious without having any symptoms. One of my former students who lives in Nashville is in quarantine and awaiting the results of his COVID 19 test. He tested negative for the flu so the likelihood of him having it is high. He would be a case of community spread.
There is a test called Biofire that can test for 18 viruses and 4 bacteria that can cause respiratory infection. Initial criteria was to rule out flu and have a negative Biofire before testing for Covid19. That rapidly changed to testing all at once. Hopefully soon Covid19 can be tested like the flu. There is still a possibilty he may not have it and I assume he had a Biofire test. The turnaround on the Biofire is less than an hour. There is also a possibility of multiple infections at once, although very low.

Again, once we have a quicker and easier test that is more readily available and has a quicker turnaround, the statistics may stay the same, but will likely start changing for the better.

I know, but you really think millions will be infected in the US?

Seriously, dude. Shut up. Just shut the **** up. This is way bigger than you are able to comprehend and way bigger than your fuhrer Tяump can handle.

Just shut the **** up and go away for a few months while this thing gets worked out. #FFS

Seriously, dude. Shut up. Just shut the **** up. This is way bigger than you are able to comprehend and way bigger than your fuhrer Tяump can handle.

Just shut the **** up and go away for a few months while this thing gets worked out. #FFS

No, I am not going to shut up.

If you want to overreact and create paranoia, then do it. I choose to stay calm.

Sadly I think we won't know because testing has been subpar so far. And a large majority of infected (mainly younger) don't show symptoms but are spreading it without knowing they are infected.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Sadly I think we won't know because testing has been subpar so far. And a large majority of infected (mainly younger) don't show symptoms but are spreading it without knowing they are infected.

True, but I still won't thing numbers will be in the millions.

We won’t have

What facts are you referring to specifically? Might you be glossing over a few of the “facts” yourself?

I know the numbers arent staggering in terms of millions. But the rate of growth is. You can click on each country and see their graphs. Look at Spain. 7 days ago they didnt have hardly any.

I know the numbers arent staggering in terms of millions. But the rate of growth is. You can click on each country and see their graphs. Look at Spain. 7 days ago they didnt have hardly any.

True, but the average age of a person in Italy is about 45, plus they have socialized healthcare.

In the US it's about 38.

Exactly. From January 22 to March 10, roughly 40-45 days, there were 119,000 cases on record. Then from March 10th to March 16th there was a sharp rise to 182.5 K. That curve is what they are trying to flatten here in the US. The mortality rate increase was even steeper during that time. The numbers aren’t staggering, and hopefully the efforts from self quarantining and or possible future mandatory quarantining will help flatten the curve. What may seem like an overreaction is an attempt to minimize the damage so to speak.

Shut the **** up. You bring nothing to the conversation. Shut the **** up. ........

And what do you bring to the conversation? Nothing, as usual.

You think you're such a tough guy cursing and telling people to shut up. Guess what, you're not tough.

That’s what I thought.

Always answering questions with a question of your own. Never just answer the question. Later dude.

LMAO As predicted, I didn't expect you to have a point.

Unlike you, I answer questions. Look at my previous posts. If you disagree, that's perfectly fine, but don't lie and say I didn't answer anything.

The whole country was infected. I am not understanding what your point is. You really think over 3,000,000 people will be infected in the US?
I have no idea how many people are going to be infected. I'm just pointing out that your dumb ass is trying to say ALL of china as if the virus was evenly spread out through ALL of China, but it isn't. The VAST majority of the cases are in Wuhan ( a city of 10 million people) hence the "Wuhan virus." Our population is 32 times greater than that of Wuhan

I have no idea how many people are going to be infected. I'm just pointing out that your dumb ass is trying to say ALL of china as if the virus was evenly spread out through ALL of China, but it isn't. The VAST majority of the cases are in Wuhan ( a city of 10 million people) hence the "Wuhan virus." Our population is 32 times greater than that of Wuhan

Huh? I said it originated in China. Wuhan is in China.

Yes. Certainly if we did no self isolation. Estimates are 90 to 210 million would be infected in the US without isolation measures.. Since we are doing these shutdowns the numbers might turn out lower.

Keep in mind 30 to 90 percent of cases are asymptomatic, (they don't really know yet) and they aren't being tested. (unless you're in the NBA it seems) In Colorado when we had ~100 confirmed cases officials were assuming we really had about 2000. I see Ohio days ago estimating 100,000 cases already. If that were true then we're already in the millions nationwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html

How many do you think will be infected?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Sign everybody to a 10 day NBA contract. Economic stimulus and free testing. Problem solved!
Genius! I love it.

Doing the math - 7 NBA players have tested positive so far, out of 510 roster spots. Thar's a bit more than 1.37%. If the US population were similarly infected it would be over 4.5 million people.

Reactions: develman
Genius! I love it.

Doing the math - 7 NBA players have tested positive so far, out of 510 roster spots. Thar's a bit more than 1.37%. If the US population were similarly infected it would be over 4.5 million people.
Sucks if your a Laker fan. They have been waiting for another shot at the title for who knows how long and now Kobe passes and this happens.

Hard to compare China and South Korea to what can happen in the US. Those countries are alot more compliant countries.

I think if everyone complied then the numbers will be low. But places are still crowded.

Sucks if your a Laker fan. They have been waiting for another shot at the title for who knows how long and now Kobe passes and this happens.

I think the nba should do a March Madness style tournament. Give the Lakers and Bucks a bye to the round of 16 and seed everyone 1-30. When you get to the final 8 you make them 7 game series. First 2 rounds single elimination

Yes. Certainly if we did no self isolation. Estimates are 90 to 210 million would be infected in the US without isolation measures.. Since we are doing these shutdowns the numbers might turn out lower.

Keep in mind 30 to 90 percent of cases are asymptomatic, (they don't really know yet) and they aren't being tested. (unless you're in the NBA it seems) In Colorado when we had ~100 confirmed cases officials were assuming we really had about 2000. I see Ohio days ago estimating 100,000 cases already. If that were true then we're already in the millions nationwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html

How many do you think will be infected?

I think there will be less than 5,000 deaths (less than half of how many die in a flu season). And I think less than 200,000 infected throughout the country.

I think there will be less than 5,000 deaths (less than half of how many die in a flu season). And I think less than 200,000 infected throughout the country.
I hope you're right. Almost 500 died in Italy today, and they haven't reached their inflection point yet.

China's reported cases have leveled off, but the PRC is still an authoritarian regime with heavy propaganda. I don't know what to believe out of China.

I think we'll have a better idea in a week what type of growth pattern we'll see in the USA. But Italy sure scares me.

I hope you're right. Almost 500 died in Italy today, and they haven't reached their inflection point yet.

China's reported cases have leveled off, but the PRC is still an authoritarian regime with heavy propaganda. I don't know what to believe out of China.

I think we'll have a better idea in a week what type of growth pattern we'll see in the USA. But Italy sure scares me.

I hope so too, but you have to remember people in Italy are much older than the United States.

And I completely agree that by next week we will know a lot more than we do now. This is why I think closing everything for two months was too much.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

New Cases last 7 days

3/18- 2858 (so far)
3/17- 1748
3/16- 983
3/15- 737
3/14- 696
3/13- 550
3/12- 396
Remember that new cases in the U.S. and other countries on similar time lines will jump quickly when all the pending to be read tests catch up. It was announced this morning that we could get 7 days of test results in the next 24hrs.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Remember that new cases in the U.S. and other countries on similar time lines will jump quickly when all the pending to be read tests catch up. It was announced this morning that we could get 7 days of test results in the next 24hrs.

Exactly. Within a week or two you probably won't see those huge increases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT