ADVERTISEMENT

Jones to redshirt

Not necessarily. It just means he probably wasn't going to get much playing time this year, so he decided to save a year of eligibility.

It's not Jones who is deciding to redshirt, it's Floyd's call. Players don't walk into a program and choose whether they'll sit out a year or not. Perhaps the agreement came before the signing, but it was still CTF who ultimately made the decision.

Reactions: UTEPy79
It's not Jones who is deciding to redshirt, it's Floyd's call. Players don't walk into a program and choose whether they'll sit out a year or not. Perhaps the agreement came before the signing, but it was still CTF who ultimately made the decision.

The player is the one who elects whether to sit out or not.

"There may also be a sufficient number of seasoned players for a particular position, so a true freshman with little to contribute may elect to sit out until the following season."

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-redshirt-freshman.htm

My guess is that the Hobbs writer is wrong. Bill Knight reported he is likely to be a non-qualifier. Which means he has to sit out a year and pay his own way. I believe UTEP has 13 players on scholarship without Jones. So, if he is a redshirt on scholarship, then expect another release or a recruit to not make it to campus.

Reactions: develman
My guess is that the Hobbs writer is wrong. Bill Knight reported he is likely to be a non-qualifier. Which means he has to sit out a year and pay his own way. I believe UTEP has 13 players on scholarship without Jones. So, if he is a redshirt on scholarship, then expect another release or a recruit to not make it to campus.
Thats what I meant . If he's redshirting he's paying his own way or someone else is leaving(wouldn't surprise anyone).

Thats what I meant . If he's redshirting he's paying his own way or someone else is leaving(wouldn't surprise anyone).

Once certified by the NCAA Clearinghouse, what is the difference between a qualifier and a non-qualifier?

Qualifier:
Eligible for athletically related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year of enrollment at a NCAA member institution.
You have 5 years to play 4 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.

Non-qualifier:
Ineligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year at a NCAA member institution.
You have 4 years to play 3 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.*
* Non-qualifiers have the ability to gain back a year of eligibility if they complete at least 80 percent of their degree prior to the beginning of their fifth year of college.

Only if he is a non-qualifier. Redshirts that are on scholly have their education paid for.
The player is the one who elects whether to sit out or not.

"There may also be a sufficient number of seasoned players for a particular position, so a true freshman with little to contribute may elect to sit out until the following season."

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-redshirt-freshman.htm

Wisegeek, chi? C'mon. I can assure you a player is not the one that makes that call. Like I said, it may be requested by a player and then agreed upon before signing but it is the coach who makes that determination.

Always, always, always question any write up by ANY El Paso Times staff. There is a reason why Knight has been writing for the Times since Moses. Good writers move upwards and onwards, the not so good stay behind. I give way more weight to the Hobbs writer than Knight. Knight is another decaf version of Joe Muench. There is a reason why Stull bashes heads with the local sports media sometimes, it's because most of the time they get their story screwed up

Only if he is a non-qualifier. Redshirts that are on scholly have their education paid for.

Wisegeek, chi? C'mon. I can assure you a player is not the one that makes that call. Like I said, it may be requested by a player and then agreed upon before signing but it is the coach who makes that determination.
So if he's using a scholly then that would be 14. So someone has to leave or one isn't making it on campus , right? There was an open scholly then Artis was signed , Lew was told to GTFO , then that scholly was given to Caldwell , Jones committed after this , so what gives ?

I was just commenting on whether or not redshirts count against the allotted schollies available, which they do. Sounds like this kid will be a non-qualifier, and in that case he will be paying his own way for year 1. I'm not saying he is a NQ because I don't know if he is or not. If he is, though, he will not count against the scholly numbers. Hope that answers your question,

I was just commenting on whether or not redshirts count against the allotted schollies available, which they do. Sounds like this kid will be a non-qualifier, and in that case he will be paying his own way for year 1. I'm not saying he is a NQ because I don't know if he is or not. If he is, though, he will not count against the scholly numbers. Hope that answers your question,
I agree, what im saying whether he's a NQ or not he's paying his own way , because if he isn't(NQ) that would mean someone else is losing their scholarship, or he's paying his own way as a redshirt. Sounds like a walk on, with a promise of a scholly next year. Would be great to get some clarification from any of the horses mouths, ie Stull , Floyd, or the kid .

I never said he made the call- all I said was he was the one who elected to redshirt.

I never said he made the call- all I said was he was the one who elected to redshirt.

There is no difference except in the wording used between "making the call" and "electing to redshirt". The point being is that 99% of the time it is not the player who chooses to redshirt, it is the coach who deems the player not ready to play, or needing a year to mature/heal/grow/etc, and then redshirts him. Argue that all you want as it just serves to expose how much you think you know but how little in actuality that you do know. Go ahead and get the last word in numbnutz!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT