ADVERTISEMENT

Leadership/Alumni Support issue or something else?

What's the problem and how to Fix UTEP Sports

• New more aggressive AD

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • More President Support

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • More Rich Alumni Support

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Commitment to pay better coaches

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Marketing the University and City Better

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Complete overhaul of Athletic facilities to compete

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Took a little break and if possible I'd like to keep this on topic. No trolling, no name calling, no insensitive comments, etc...
We are all for the most part all Utep fans that love our Miners, but aren't happy with the state of athletics. At least growing up I had a consistent UTEP Basketball team to be proud of since Football wasn't very good. Now we don't have anything really to be proud of, besides some of the less popular sports. That brings up the question. With very loyal fans who are starved for a winner in the core sports Football, Men's Basketball and women's basketball. What is the reason for our struggle over the last 30 years and continues to be a struggle? I like Golding and Coach Baker and Dimel is boring, but hasn't been the worst Football coach in history. However I don't know if any coach even if we had the money to pay a Big Time one is the answer. So what is the major problem and what can be done if anything to fix it? Some of the choices are hand and hand and need one to achieve the other. I'm just wondering if anything will be done in my lifetime to make us a consistent winner to be proud of.

UTEP accepts mediocrity and has made the wrong hires since 2010. Until they win and “fix” ticket prices, it doesn’t matter what they do otherwise.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
An all of the above answer to the question would be correct. Nugget 07 has a point about doners. We need some new ones to pick up the slack. We need as much as we can get on multiple levels to compete. As far as the coaches, Dimel can recruit above average for UTEP, but needs to step up on play calling and game management. He's passable on the fan interaction but not on the level Mike Price was. Price was very upbeat and engaging. I think that's why he lasted as long as he did. Golding comes across as very enthusiastic and upbeat. He coaches well but needs to bring in a higher level of athlete. Baker has done reasonably well with the women's team. It would be great if he could eventually reach the level that Keitha Adams did. Go Miners.

Did you get the impression that Bob Stull became an AD as a way to retire from coaching? He retired because he was too tired to do anything. He was a successful coach who was made AD as a retirement package. We need someone who is young, hungry and driven to make something of the athletic department. If President Wilson
doesn't want to get involved personally in athletics, she needs to hire someone who can get the job done without her standing over their shoulder all the time. A good leader hires good people and lets them do the job.

I believe the current president does have a greater focus on what it will take to turn the ship around in athletics. Another year, or so, will confirm my impression which is based on her implementing a strategic fundraising plan with Senter and continuing to grow relationships with key alums and business constituents. I'll also say that when the next conference shifting happens and if UTEP is left out of the conversation of a revised MWC, we are in deep trouble for the long term. At this point, we have the best coaches we can expect based on available funds. It's not enough and will need to increase substantially. Finally, there's a great deal of ammunition being thrown our way by the recruiting competition based on geography and our proximity to the border - it's always been there but the past few years have seen a marked increase in the rhetoric and faulty perception which is meant to scare parents and students alike.

GO MINERS!

“More rich alumni support”

How about more alumni support in general?

Imagine if 30,000 donated $5 just once, that would be $150,000. People just never had the attachment to their university (very prevalent when I was an RA and did student orgs) or are busy with life (paying off student loans-fed or not- raising families, etc)

I like Golding but I think his schtick gets a bit old real quick. He sound neurotic or just super hyper after a minute or two. Gotta wonder if that turns some players off.
And the Bear? Everything sucked. UTEP beats a top team but the rebounding was horrid, the shooting was woeful and this and that. Don’t get me wrong, we all loved it but it got eye rolling at times. But The Bear made it up because he was at a public place yucking it up with locals, even in central El Paso. No UTEP coach ever, nor still comes to central unless to visit a (high) school or certain restaurants. He is legend.

Golding has fire in his belly. I love it. He reminds me of Kragthorpe when he was coaching Tulsa football. He acted just like Golding. Dimel had it in early 90’s when KSU moved up from sump pump basement football to tops in their conference annually. Today Dimel is enthusiastic and always has a smile, he loves recruiting but his “rah! rah!” is not there late in the 4th like it was at KSU and now it’s just “Gosh?!….Golly gee, Teich! I don’t know about that call?” after blowing a 4th quarter lead.

And the Bear? Everything sucked. UTEP beats a top team but the rebounding was horrid, the shooting was woeful and this and that.

Not referring to any of that. Referring to just how he is with all the "Yeah, man! Right?! Aw, it was something, man! Right?! Hey, man! Cool, man! Just what it is, man! Right?!" You can apply that to him chatting with a recruit or ordering a taco.

Not referring to any of that. Referring to just how he is with all the "Yeah, man! Right?! Aw, it was something, man! Right?! Hey, man! Cool, man! Just what it is, man! Right?!" You can apply that to him chatting with a recruit or ordering a taco.
We would love it if he was winning. However, you probably bring up a good point as to how that may affect recruiting.

“More rich alumni support”

How about more alumni support in general?

Imagine if 30,000 donated $5 just once, that would be $150,000. People just never had the attachment to their university (very prevalent when I was an RA and did student orgs) or are busy with life (paying off student loans-fed or not- raising families, etc)
“Busy with life” is a poor excuse to defend those who don’t donate $5. They either weren’t given the opportunity to do so or they flat out just don’t want to. You could squeeze $5 out of every family. Doesn’t matter how much student loans or rent they have.

That's what I'm saying. You're telling me you can't market to have a million dollar a year NIL deal each for Men's Basketball and football or no donors will assist with indoor practice facility Sun Bowl/DHC improvements, higher pay for successful coaches, etc... I personally think Senter has not done well and needs to be relieved of his duties and start with fresh motivated AD!

But The Bear made it up because he was at a public place yucking it up with locals, even in central El Paso. No UTEP coach ever, nor still comes to central unless to visit a (high) school or certain restaurants. He is legend.

You don't know that. Also, what's so bad about central El Paso?

Ultimately I think it comes down to money. Sure, we don’t like Senter and I know we have our own opinions of Wilson, but a lot of these problems get fixed with more donations, NIL, and improved facilities.

Pretty much every time I’ve spoken with Dimel he always mentions donations, money, and how they can improve the team. I think he’s right. There’s an Arizona basketball player transfer who turned down Xavier in favor of WVU assumingly because they were able to offer a larger NIL deal. I would love to help with a UTEP focused NIL collective program where we are able to donate X amount per month in order to help lure better athletes.

Want Dimel/Golding gone? Donate more so UTEP can afford their buy outs and pay for a new and better coach. College sports is a money game now and it doesn’t matter who the AD is if they’re hamstrung by a lack of funds.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
That's what I'm saying. You're telling me you can't market to have a million dollar a year NIL deal each for Men's Basketball and football or no donors will assist with indoor practice facility Sun Bowl/DHC improvements, higher pay for successful coaches, etc... I personally think Senter has not done well and needs to be relieved of his duties and start with fresh motivated AD!
If Dimel fails this year, I hope Wilson relieves Senter first.

You don't know that. Also, what's so bad about central El Paso?

I love central EP. I've been to the east, west, northeast, whatever. I grew up in central EP and it remains my favorite part of the city. But that's just me based on my life experience.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT