ADVERTISEMENT

Let's show them some love!

Adams was a good coach, but Baker is actually an upgrade.

So the new coach has only coached 9 games and he's an "upgrade" over a coach who made 2 NCAA Tournaments and won 3 CUSA championships? One of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board and that's saying a lot.

Reactions: El Paso 777
So the new coach has only coached 9 games and he's an "upgrade" over a coach who made 2 NCAA Tournaments and won 3 CUSA championships? One of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board and that's saying a lot.

A coach who made 2 tourneys in 16 years isn't exactly coach k. I was a big fan of coach Adams I loved her enthusiasm for the university. However, she could'nt build a consistent winner. Baker has won big in every season at d3 and d2. I honestly didn't think he could win more than 10 games this year with the roster he inherited. The guy can flat out coach. He's a climber and he will get whatever job he wants in a few years.

I can see that, but he's coached 9 games so far. He hasn't accomplished anything yet. If he can accomplish those things faster, then totally agree, but let's be realistic here.

I can say I hope we get someone similar to Baker for the men. I like his style. He knows what he is doing.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Hopefully because the market for Women's Basketball Coaches isn't as high it means we'll be able to keep Baker.

Adams was a good coach, but Baker is actually an upgrade. He inherited a very subpar roster and he is getting everything out of them. I don't think he will be at UTEP very long but as long as hes here they will win.
I totally agree.

Go Miners!!

Exactly. A few people said Phil Johnson should be our permanent coach since he beat UNM and WSU.

Keitha Adams did a lot for UTEP. It will be a LONG time before you can say it will be an upgrade.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Phil will get UTEP thru the year but he is not UTEP's future. But then again everyone thinks Dimel will not be so bad after all, so it wouldn't surprise me if Senter signs him on. Phil will take UTEP's offer and It's CTF 2.0.

Phil will get UTEP thru the year but he is not UTEP's future. But then again everyone thinks Dimel will not be so bad after all, so it wouldn't surprise me if Senter signs him on. Phil will take UTEP's offer and It's CTF 2.0.

I was not a fan of the Dimel hire. In fact when I heard it I rearranged a few things in my office and scared the hell of my assistant. The poor lady didn't know what UTEP was or why I was so upset.

I wasn't a fan of the hire however, I'm very impressed with the staff Dimel has put together. This is by far the deepest and most talented group of assistant coaches we've had at UTEP. I'm not big into recruiting ratings but this staff will bring in better recruits on paper than Stull's three hires did. Will all of this translate into wins I don't know but I feel alot better about this hire than I did two weeks ago.

As for Phil I wouldn't be suprised if he was hired. This could change rapidly but right now I think he has about a 70% chance to keep the job. This is a new era of UTEP basketball. At large bids are off the table. The season doesnt start until the conference tourney. The regular season is about improving and playing your best in March. I think Johnson will coach these guys up and be very competitive finish fourth or fifth in a conference and have a punchers chance to win the tourney. No matter who the next coach the season wont start until March and winning the conference tourney is always a crap shoot.

I was not a fan of the Dimel hire. In fact when I heard it I rearranged a few things in my office and scared the hell of my assistant. The poor lady didn't know what UTEP was or why I was so upset.

I wasn't a fan of the hire however, I'm very impressed with the staff Dimel has put together. This is by far the deepest and most talented group of assistant coaches we've had at UTEP. I'm not big into recruiting ratings but this staff will bring in better recruits on paper than Stull's three hires did. Will all of this translate into wins I don't know but I feel alot better about this hire than I did two weeks ago.

As for Phil I wouldn't be suprised if he was hired. This could change rapidly but right now I think he has about a 70% chance to keep the job. This is a new era of UTEP basketball. At large bids are off the table. The season doesnt start until the conference tourney. The regular season is about improving and playing your best in March. I think Johnson will coach these guys up and be very competitive finish fourth or fifth in a conference and have a punchers chance to win the tourney. No matter who the next coach the season wont start until March and winning the conference tourney is always a crap shoot.

I thought I was the only one asked "what's a UTEP"?

Phil has done a good job, but if what he accomplishes is a fourth place finish and let's say a semi-finals exit in the conference tourney, then I think we need to hire someone else.

This is a new era of UTEP basketball. At large bids are off the table. The season doesnt start until the conference tourney. The regular season is about improving and playing your best in March.

No matter who the next coach the season wont start until March and winning the conference tourney is always a crap shoot.

That's such loser talk and you're validating Floyd's excuses. How many other fans of teams would be okay with "lets play 3 good games in March, rest of the games are meaningless"

They are only meaningless because UTEP doesn't play anybody or they don't win. If they won or played a tougher schedule, they would mean something.

Fans like you are the reason why Floyd stuck around so long. Buying his crap and believing his crap. Lets just drop to D2 and play regional New Mexico and Texas schools since competing is now out of the question.

That's such loser talk and you're validating Floyd's excuses. How many other fans of teams would be okay with "lets play 3 good games in March, rest of the games are meaningless"

They are only meaningless because UTEP doesn't play anybody or they don't win. If they won or played a tougher schedule, they would mean something.

Fans like you are the reason why Floyd stuck around so long. Buying his crap and believing his crap. Lets just drop to D2 and play regional New Mexico and Texas schools since competing is now out of the question.
Actually it’s reality for all non power programs in the NCAA. An example is Illinois St last season. They finished 26-6 with an rpi of 33 in the 8th rated league. Missed out on the tournament because they lost the conference championship game.

MTSU was also in danger of being snubbed. This was despite having a 29-4 record with an RPI of 35 but playing in the 23rd rated league. Thankfully they won and punched their own ticket in but had they lost they would certainly be in the same boat as Illinois St.

It’s the sad truth. Unless UTEP managed to schedule 12 away games against Power teams and win them all it will not matter what they do outside of the conference tournament.

Reactions: develman
I hear you, but Illinois St had some bad losses and only played 1 Power team last year. They lost to TCU.

MTSU played Ole Miss and Vandy, but they lost to Tennessee St and UTEP.

If they had better schedules, they would have easily been in. You can't have bad losses and you have to play teams. They didn't.

I hear you, but Illinois St had some bad losses and only played 1 Power team last year. They lost to TCU.

MTSU played Ole Miss and Vandy, but they lost to Tennessee St and UTEP.

If they had better schedules, they would have easily been in. You can't have bad losses and you have to play teams. They didn't.
It seems the every single non power team is struggling to meet those criteria. Only one non power team that hosts FBS football received an at large bid last season.

I hear ya. I would rather see teams like Illinois St in there over teams like Vandy. Mid majors have to schedule better, but you cant play 1 road game and expect to get an at-large.

I wasn't a Floyd fan in fact I hated him. I wanted fired since the debacle in the Bahamas. I was never a Floyd supporter. I've also vehemently disagreed with how the athletic department spends it's resources. We are in a one bid league there is no way to get an at-large bid. Spending 3.5 million a year on a basketball program is a one bid league is insane. Put the money in the sport that has the chance to increase enrollment and donations: football. Basketball regular season is meaningless it comes down to three games in March best team doesn't always win. It's a sucky reality, I don't like it I know a lot of people are in denial buts it's the reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShovelMan66
Simply not true. UTEP can earn an at-large. Is it likely? Not currently. Is it forever not possible? No way.

If UTEP scheduled better and actually won games, they would be in the conversation many years.

I agree with you, UTEP should focus on football for once.

I agree with Carlos here. We can control our own destiny. CUSA is a one bid league - to us - when we schedule Incarnate Word, Alcorn State, and Arkansas Pine Bluff. We need to schedule better. If not, yes, CUSA is a one bid league.

Sure it’s possible. But the deck sure is stacked against those non power teams that have FBS football. Of the 62 teams that competed under those guidelines only one was worthy of an at large bid. I find it a bit odd that all those universities across the nation can’t figure out the system. Or maybe the system is purposefully rigged against them.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Sure it’s possible. But the deck sure is stacked against those non power teams that have FBS football. Of the 62 teams that competed under those guidelines only one was worthy of an at large bid. I find it a bit odd that all those universities across the nation can’t figure out the system. Or maybe the system is purposefully rigged against them.

It obviously doesn't help our cause to bitch and moan about it, but I honestly think that is the more likely of scenarios.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT