ADVERTISEMENT

Let's start our search for head FB coach.

To each his own. But any AD would be making a serious mistake by denying any coach a job based on race or promoting a coach based solely on race for that matter. Qualifications should trump all in my opinion.

In a perfect world, if UTEP were to try something different I hope they would open up the pocketbook and pay some serious cash for a coach.

I understand it shouldnt matter the race but in honesty minority coaches that are qualified are being passed over white coaches that are not ready and that is a fact. Kugler was picked over patterson who patterson had more experience. There is not one Hispanic head coach in division 1a football. You want me to believe there is not 1 qualified Hispanic coach out there? Yes you are alll right race shouldnt matter .

I don't know the number, and I don't expect you to know either. But are there any big Hispanic coaches at big name schools?

Do you think Jeff Grimes will throw his hat in the ring for the UTEP job?

Dykes seems to be somewhat consistent as a Head Coach. Historically, his team's record has improved each season, up until his final year at Cal:

La. Tech:

Year 1: 5-7
Year 2: 8-5
Year 3: 9-3

Cal:

Year 1: 1-11
Year 2: 5-7
Year 3: 8-5
Year 4: 5-7

My short list.
Billy Napier, Arizona State OC
Jake Spavital, West Virginia offensive coordinator
Mario Cristobal, OC Oregon or Marcus Arroyo
Sonny Cumbie, TCU
Morgan Scalley, Utah defensive coordinator

I don't know what these guys make, but I suspect some might make as much or more than CSK makes? Time for a larger investment in Football.

Reactions: miner661
Dykes seems to be somewhat consistent as a Head Coach. Historically, his team's record has improved each season, up until his final year at Cal:

La. Tech:

Year 1: 5-7
Year 2: 8-5
Year 3: 9-3

Cal:

Year 1: 1-11
Year 2: 5-7
Year 3: 8-5
Year 4: 5-7

Tech might get Dykes.

My short list.
Billy Napier, Arizona State OC
Jake Spavital, West Virginia offensive coordinator
Mario Cristobal, OC Oregon or Marcus Arroyo
Sonny Cumbie, TCU
Morgan Scalley, Utah defensive coordinator

I don't know what these guys make, but I suspect some might make as much or more than CSK makes? Time for a larger investment in Football.

No way we're getting Cumbie.

Well, not with that attitude unihorn! J/K I'm one of the biggest pessimists around. But it's really time UTEP starts to invest in sports at a higher level.

He turned down $1M to be Texas' OC. He and his wife are very plugged into the Ft. Worth community. He makes $700k as a CO-OC!

Last edited:
How about Donald Trump? I know he doesn't have any experience or training but he's a winner and he's 'tough'. I think he can turn things around here.

Reactions: TrojanMiner
How about Donald Trump? I know he doesn't have any experience or training but he's a winner and he's 'tough'. I think he can turn things around here.
As long as he doesn't grab my wife by the (v) and lets me drink my beer during the national anthem......

Reactions: unihorn
To each his own. But any AD would be making a serious mistake by denying any coach a job based on race or promoting a coach based solely on race for that matter. Qualifications should trump all in my opinion.

In a perfect world, if UTEP were to try something different I hope they would open up the pocketbook and pay some serious cash for a coach.
Pun intended?

As long as he doesn't grab my wife by the (v) and lets me drink my beer during the national anthem......

Rabadeux (RIP) already tried that and it failed too thanks to his ex wifes' best friend who broadcasted it live on Kap's show some years back.

C'mon people! Let's think outside the box here.

(God I'm going to hell for that)

Rabadeux (RIP) already tried that and it failed too thanks to his ex wifes' best friend who broadcasted it live on Kap's show some years back.

C'mon people! Let's think outside the box here.

(God I'm going to hell for that)
Whoa whoa, that happened on the show? There’s gotta be audio right?

Whoa whoa, that happened on the show? There’s gotta be audio right?
Seriously?! Abuelito's were talking about it at the Good Coffee establishments when it went down.

Yes, but you may have to request it from the station if not on line and they're not going to give it without a small (legal) fight I'm sure.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I say hire an old white guy.

Nope. To satisfy both genders we need to hire someone from the transgender community. Doesn't matter if it's female to male or male to female. Then that person needs to be a racial minority. Preferably someone of mixed ethnicity but definitely not predominately of European origin. Coaching ability and experience should be the last criteria, not the first.

Reactions: Nugget 07
Someone mentioned Theron Aych, our wr coach last season and now the wr coach at Arizona. I remember when Kugler was looking for a new OC and Aych was hired. Some of us were hoping he would be the new OC because as the OC for Angelo St he ran one of the most wide open and prolific offenses anywhere for about 5 years. He has been around and was an assistant at Houston and has great recruiting ties there. Could be an unexpected and interesting hire.

Someone mentioned Theron Aych, our wr coach last season and now the wr coach at Arizona. I remember when Kugler was looking for a new OC and Aych was hired. Some of us were hoping he would be the new OC because as the OC for Angelo St he ran one of the most wide open and prolific offenses anywhere for about 5 years. He has been around and was an assistant at Houston and has great recruiting ties there. Could be an unexpected and interesting hire.

Yo soy! Arizona wasted no time stealing him from Kug. He has energy and his numbers and Angelo State were gaudy. Also, Theron knew Kug wouldn't run his style

Sterling Gilbert is Sean Kugler's arch nemesis as far as offensive philosophy. You want to see Kug pop several veins? Hire Gilbert from USF.. Gilbert is not a bad choice at all, however, I seriously doubt he would come here.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
OK, all of the candidates you guys listed and toss them out. UTEP won't waste their time with any yahoos like that.

Now find a former UTEP Alumni looking to take a stab at coaching for the first time (actually playing the sport of football is not required), or an El Paso High School coach who has shown some local success. If they work work for bottom dollar, that's our coach!

Their needs to be a new line of blood and coaches in those offices, on those fields! An assistant at a Texas, or even a California school makes the most sense! Even if we have him for a one term. Bring in the right guy with the right philosophy. Offense, offense, offense, needs to be priority. You could have the best defense in the world, but if your offense can't stay on the field to give anyone a breather even with a good roster, your defense and team will suffer. Young ( affordable) and offensive minded would be my criteria.

Why does he have to be"affordable"? And what exactly does that mean? UTEP can afford to pay a coach 4 mil or 5 mil a year. But they never or won't ever make that kind of commitment. I wish someone would ask Natalicio why

Their needs to be a new line of blood and coaches in those offices, on those fields! An assistant at a Texas, or even a California school makes the most sense! Even if we have him for a one term. Bring in the right guy with the right philosophy. Offense, offense, offense, needs to be priority. You could have the best defense in the world, but if your offense can't stay on the field to give anyone a breather even with a good roster, your defense and team will suffer. Young ( affordable) and offensive minded would be my criteria.[/QUOT]

Why does he have to be"affordable"? And what exactly does that mean? UTEP can afford to pay a coach 4 mil or 5 mil a year. But they never or won't ever make that kind of commitment. I wish someone would ask Natalicio why
Are you being serious? 5 million a year puts us up there with Clemson, Florida St, Texas and Texas A&M.

How about we pay the coach 1 mil per yr. That would be top 10-20% for G5 programs. Make somebody want the job. Guarantee him 4 years because ain't nobody gonna turn this around any sooner. Incentivize the contract based on improvement from year to year, and bowl appearances/wins. Otherwise we're gonna pull in another schlub of a coach. Gotta make it attractive to somebody who knows they're worth something.

Many states support college athletics, Texas does not. El Paso fans only support utep when they win. Look at p5 stadiums on game day---- then look at our empty seats. Major colleges alumni support with dollars don't see much of that here. Student fees also help, more students more money.
Realistically Utep can go to 750 up to A million. If they win. Which is a boat load of money for this town.

Many states support college athletics, Texas does not. El Paso fans only support utep when they win. Look at p5 stadiums on game day---- then look at our empty seats. Major colleges alumni support with dollars don't see much of that here. Student fees also help, more students more money.
Realistically Utep can go to 750 up to A million. If they win. Which is a boat load of money for this town.
So Boise St. who has an endowment(profit)tax-free of around 90 million can pay its coach about 2.5 million but UTEP who has an endowment of about 220 million can't?Hmmm..... Strange. Or maybe the powers that be just have chosen not to invest more in coaches salaries.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Sorry just re-read the article I got the info from and the 2 plus million is the total his assistant coaches make in totality. Still, my question stands why doesn't UTEP pay more?
I don't know the exact reason but if I had to take a wild guess I would say ESPN tv contract, Access Bowl money, and stadium naming rights.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the UT System does not allow schools to use money allocated for academics to offset their athletic programs. Therefore the endowment is completely different from the athletic budget. That's also why UTEP tried to pass the student athletic fee but it failed years ago.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT