ADVERTISEMENT

Let's start our search for head FB coach.

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Sterlin Gilbert. He's from San Angelo, and is a Briles offense disciple. He's the current OC at USF. He's 39 years old and runs a "power spread" offense. I like him.

Sterlin Gilbert's offense has to have a QB that can run really well as well as pass. They utilize the run a lot more than the pass and the QB is a big part of the run game. Great athletes on that team and we would need an influx of those type athletes to be successful with that scheme. It would be much better than what we have now with the right athletes.

Last edited:
Sterling Gilbert's offense has to have a QB that can run really well as well as pass. They utilize the run a lot more than the pass and the QB is a big part of the run game. Great athletes on that team and we would need an influx of those type athletes to be successful with that scheme. It would be much better than what we have now with the right athletes.

Actually, it's a system that's relatively plug and play at the QB position.

Sorry just re-read the article I got the info from and the 2 plus million is the total his assistant coaches make in totality. Still, my question stands why doesn't UTEP pay more?
My guess is Natalicio. She has the final say so in the salary and given her careless approach to sports, she sees no reason to pay a coach around a million bucks a year. Plus I am sure she thinks Kugler is doing a fine job since his APR is perfect and he is giving so many EL Paso high school football players a chance to go to college at UTEP and play football for UTEP. So when we hire our new coach, she will see no reason to pay him more than Kugler since he did so well here.

Yo soy! Arizona wasted no time stealing him from Kug. He has energy and his numbers and Angelo State were gaudy. Also, Theron knew Kug wouldn't run his style

Sterling Gilbert is Sean Kugler's arch nemesis as far as offensive philosophy. You want to see Kug pop several veins? Hire Gilbert from USF.. Gilbert is not a bad choice at all, however, I seriously doubt he would come here.
If not Aych as head coach, he would be a great choice as the OC by the next coach.

My guess is Natalicio. She has the final say so in the salary and given her careless approach to sports, she sees no reason to pay a coach around a million bucks a year. Plus I am sure she thinks Kugler is doing a fine job since his APR is perfect and he is giving so many EL Paso high school football players a chance to go to college at UTEP and play football for UTEP. So when we hire our new coach, she will see no reason to pay him more than Kugler since he did so well here.

Just like she saw no need to pay $1M to get into the Mountain West.

How about Todd Orlando, DC at Texas, as HC? He makes a million per yr at Texas so UTEP and boosters would have to step up.

I will not be so quick to bash Dr. Natalicio so fast. She steered a lot for athletic capital improvements over the years.

UT will not let Orlando go. UT has had defensive woes and now he has horn d looking really good.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Just like she saw no need to pay $1M to get into the Mountain West.

For years I've been hearing these types of comments about the Mountain West Conference. Please explain to this outsider how things would be different/better with UTEP athletics if you were automatically transformed from C-USA to MWC. More/better bowl games? More conference championships and NCAA appearances? Better attendance? Smart business move? Is it just a cop out for the complete lack of athletic success UTEP had had in C-USA, you know, we'd kick ass if we were in MWC? Is it reminiscing about old rivalries from several decades ago, many with schools that are inconsequential on today's NCAA landscape? What? Inquiring minds want to know...

For years I've been hearing these types of comments about the Mountain West Conference. Please explain to this outsider how things would be different/better with UTEP athletics if you were automatically transformed from C-USA to MWC. More/better bowl games? More conference championships and NCAA appearances? Better attendance? Smart business move? Is it just a cop out for the complete lack of athletic success UTEP had had in C-USA, you know, we'd kick ass if we were in MWC? Is it reminiscing about old rivalries from several decades ago, many with schools that are inconsequential on today's NCAA landscape? What? Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't see the move as a panacea. I don't think we'd necessarily win more. Mostly, I think it would improve attendance. Most fans don't care about the current CUSA opponents.

CUSA was better for us in the beginning, but trading Houston for Rice and SMU for N. Texas degraded the Texas footprint. I think playing more traditional Western rivals would improve fan engagement and revenue. By how much, I don't know, but enough to make the $1M entry fee a good investment.

Most people would love for UTEP to have kept their old rivalries with schools like UNM, BYU, Wyoming, Colorado St etc. We weren't winning much in the WAC but those were good games. And like everyone else has said, to trade those rivalries (not our doing obviously) for N. Texas, Marshall is a let down.

Like we've commented before about how secure people's jobs are at UTEP: I feel like any other AD would have been fired with how that MWC fiasco played out. If UTEP didn't want to pay those fees, then heads should have rolled in the long run. But Kugler will probably finish the year out, and Floyd can get wrecked every year vs NMSU.

It was $1M, not 2, 3, 4 or 5. I think they could have easily raised it from boosters.

More television revenue to start. More bids to NCAA tournament. Travel savings.

Most MWC schools will get 1.1 mill this year. CUSA will get $200,000. UTEP did get a windfall from all the schools leaving a few years again and having to pay exit fees. I think we go around $10 mil but, as the song goes, that's all over now.

Last edited:
I would love for UTEP to be in the MWC basketball wise. Better exposure on the west coast and access to better recruiting IMO. Also, I (and a lot of fans) want to play SDSU, NM, Wyoming, UNLV, etc...

UTEP recruits a whole lot more kids from California than it recruits from Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida or any other CUSA state outside of Texas. But now UTEP is no longer in a conference that has any California schools, so as a result UTEP no longer plays games in it's second biggest recruiting state(California). This certainly has not helped our recruiting during the past 10 years.

The most success during the Price era came at the beginning, in which he won with a roster that was mostly recruited in a time when we were still in a conference with the California schools. Jordan Palmer, Tyler Ebell, Jayson Boyd, Marcus Thomas(AZ), Jeremy Jones, Joe Fleskoski, Oniel Cousins, etc. were all western kids, that when we recruited them, we used to tell them that they would play close to home once or twice a year. We can no longer say that. In basketball we have only made one NCAA Tournament in the 13 years since we were in a conference with the California schools. Maybe those declining results are just a coincidence? Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying that this is the sole reason for our slide, but it might be a contributing issue to go with our other internal problems and getting us out of CUSA could be one piece to the puzzle, of us getting our Program turned around.

The MWC has 3 California schools in it and the MWC also has a number of other schools that are closer to El Paso than the closest CUSA school.

LaserCoog is correct in that the move to MWC would not have solely solved our program's poor performance. I also agree that we should take control and take a proactive approach as he mentions. But I do also feel that being in CUSA has had some contribution(even if it is small) to our recent demise. It's true that we have not won in CUSA, but I think it is also fair to say that it is just not a good fit for us and not being in a optimum situation can sometimes have an impact on your results.

Last edited:
Had Houston and SMU already left, or were they known to be leaving, when we turned down the MW invite?

In one scenario, Stull waited too long(which has been the norm for him) for the MWC and CUSA merger to happen, thinking UTEP could get the benefits of going to the MWC on the cheap(no exit fee's, no entry fee's, etc.). Stull and UTEP never had a plan B when that fell through.

In general there has just been an overall lack of aggressiveness and importance placed on getting into the MWC. As a result, a school like San Jose State passed UTEP and joined, while UTEP sat still.

Had Houston and SMU already left, or were they known to be leaving, when we turned down the MW invite?
They were gone. The MW also seemed very shaky at that moment since SDSU and Boise were on their way out.

At that time CUSA would have been
West
UTEP
UNT
RICE
UTSA
Tulane
Tulsa
La Tech

East
ECU
Marshall
UAB
FIU
FAU
MTSU
USM

The MW would have been
UTEP
UNM
Air Force
Wyoming
Colorado St
Utah St
Hawaii
Fresno St
UNLV
Nevada

They were gone. The MW also seemed very shaky at that moment since SDSU and Boise were on their way out.

At that time CUSA would have been
West
UTEP
UNT
RICE
UTSA
Tulane
Tulsa
La Tech

East
ECU
Marshall
UAB
FIU
FAU
MTSU
USM

The MW would have been
UTEP
UNM
Air Force
Wyoming
Colorado St
Utah St
Hawaii
Fresno St
UNLV
Nevada
Not knowing that SDSU and Boise St would return to the MW and that ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane would leave CUSA, what conference seemed like the better deal for UTEP?

No. I mean yes. I mean, we were in the mix early but we did know SMU & Houston were leaving when we turned down MWC.

Last edited:
I suppose the "CUSA still gives us better Texas exposure" rationale was a big part of the decision at the time.
It was a risk, we got short term $$ gain from it. Because UTEP was a core member of CUSA, we got a lion's share of the exit fees from the other Universities. But now we're losing 900,000 per year to MWC and more to the A in tv revenue.

It was a risk, we got short term $$ gain from it. Because UTEP was a core member of CUSA, we got a lion's share of the exit fees from the other Universities. But now we're losing 900,000 per year to MWC and more to the A in tv revenue.
The MWC may take a cut in revenue soon as well.

I would be happy with Graham. He had a lot of success at Rice and Tulsa. He had two 10 win seasons at ASU. He was also successful at Allen, TX for about 5 years as well.

Last edited:
I would be happy with Graham. He had a lot of success at Rice and Tulsa. He had two 10 win seasons at ASU. He was also successful at Allen, TX for about 5 years as well.

According to Wikipedia Graham's annual salary is 3.1 million. Unfortunately I can't see him, or any coach for that matter what amounts to a 2.5 million dollar pay cut. I'm sure he will find another gig somewhere that pays him better than we pay.

ESPN beat writer's suggestions:

Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich
Carolina Panthers quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey
Texas Tech offensive coordinator Eric Morris
Texas A&M-Commerce coach Colby Carthel
Tennessee QB coach Mike Canales
Utah wide receivers coach Guy Holliday
North Texas offensive coordinator Graham Harrell
Sam Houston State coach K.C. Keeler
Minnesota Vikings assistant Robert Rodriguez
BYU special teams coordinator Ed Lamb
San Diego State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzales

I'm not saying he should be hired. I do feel like he has a good gig in the NFL and he shouldn't leave for starters. Plus I would like a coach who has experience running a program. And really, I do think that people (here at least) don't want an in house type hire, myself included.

After watching the Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State game last night , Yurcich or Morris would be great hires and would put butts in the seats in the Sun Bowl.

The thing with Dorsey he is a newbie to coaching. His only experience has been Carolina's QB coach since 2013.

I like KC Keeler. We already let one successful Sam Houston St coach get away can't make the same mistake.

Yep, those 2 coaches would give us a chance at winning most of the games on our schedule.

I would like Yuricich or Morris. Being OCs at big schools you would think they could bring some of the recruits they had helped recruit to their former employers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT