ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall, ODU, USM leaving this summer

We were due to travel to ODU and host USM. Now we will have 11 schools for 1 year and add 2 games from WKU, MTSU, FIU and Charlotte.

I have tremendous respect Marshall and UAB. They brought weight to the league. ODU and USM are those pesky neighborhood kids who wants to hang out with the older kids in the neighborhood and they don't shut up.

"All hat, no cattle".

CUSA releases 2022 football and it includes the 3 who have declared they are leaving the conference this summer. CUSA also issued a statement that they will take all legal action necessary to keep the 3 schools next year. Gonna get interesting.

Reactions: Lil_Train
CUSA releases 2022 football and it includes the 3 who have declared they are leaving the conference this summer. CUSA also issued a statement that they will take all legal action necessary to keep the 3 schools next year. Gonna get interesting.
Yes interesting, but why take legal action instead of just creating a new schedule with the existing teams. Will it change anything? Don't the exiting schools have to pay a fee?

Reactions: kickballpro
Just speculation on my part but by leaving earlier than the bylaws agreed to by all conference members, the 3 schools will forfeit only one year of conference distributions rather than two years which is, I believe, required. Possibly the 3 refuse to offer to pay the conference and so the conference will take them to court. I imagine there will be an out of court settlement but who knows for sure.

If the 3 get out without paying the full amount then the 6 that are slated to leave next year will have a case for not paying as well.

With all these conference changes, it really is hard to remain hopeful for UTEP. It seems like most conference mates with a potentially better option are jumping ship. I recall when the Sun Belt was not much of a conference and now, we are losing teams to them. I also remember all the changes to the WAC and to early Conference USA with teams like TCU, Tulsa, Houston, SMU and UCF. We may be down for a few years but as long as we are able to hold on to D1 status, then I am hopeful that the pendulum will swing the other way and UTEP will see some positive changes. If the loss of D1 status starts to rumble into reality, then I'll start to see the tunnel collapsing. Good grief, Charlie Brown....

• Wow
Reactions: minerrecliner
With all these conference changes, it really is hard to remain hopeful for UTEP. It seems like most conference mates with a potentially better option are jumping ship. I recall when the Sun Belt was not much of a conference and now, we are losing teams to them. I also remember all the changes to the WAC and to early Conference USA with teams like TCU, Tulsa, Houston, SMU and UCF. We may be down for a few years but as long as we are able to hold on to D1 status, then I am hopeful that the pendulum will swing the other way and UTEP will see some positive changes. If the loss of D1 status starts to rumble into reality, then I'll start to see the tunnel collapsing. Good grief, Charlie Brown....
It would be one thing to say that we're finally going to be able to win football conference championships. While the perception says CUSA will be awful the reality will be different for us. We will compete against a team with P5 money, a couple of strong g5 programs that have shown they can do more with less, and a pair of FCS teams with a prideful history. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the status quo remains in place. A bottom of the table team with aspirations to occasionally reach the mid table.

Reactions: PicksForPaydirt
Ummm.... I believe this was already resolved by adding 4 teams was it not. At least for now there's no talk of dropping FBS status or anywhere close to that.

Projected results:

2022 UTEP Football Schedule

Sept 3 at Oklahoma : Miners murdered in cold blood. Execution
I wish UTEP would stop scheduling them. I am married into OU family and every damn time we have to play them they just look at me like a sad mother watching her child being led to the gallows; kind of like the song by Iron Maiden "Hollowed be thy name" ("waiting for the bell to chime").

I wish UTEP would stop scheduling them. I am married into OU family and every damn time we have to play them they just look at me like a sad mother watching her child being led to the gallows; kind of like the song by Iron Maiden "Hollowed be thy name" ("waiting for the bell to chime").
One day you will get revenge! Hopefully in our lifetime!

well-bye.gif

Caracter was a big piece to that team and not sure he would have stuck around under any circumstance. There was 3-4 games that year that we hit on every cylinder and when we did we were unbeatable, that game was one of them. Loved how Barbee's team played offense and rebounded. That team had more talent than any UTEP team in 40 years, it's sad we couldn't leverage that into long term success.

Caracter was a big piece to that team and not sure he would have stuck around under any circumstance. There was 3-4 games that year that we hit on every cylinder and when we did we were unbeatable, that game was one of them. Loved how Barbee's team played offense and rebounded. That team had more talent than any UTEP team in 40 years, it's sad we couldn't leverage that into long term success.
I still say that Barbee messed up by letting it leak he was leaving during the NCAA. We were up on eventually National Championship runner up Butler at half then self destructed! We got a bad draw that year and the Barbee news effected us too. Should've been a sweet 16 team at minimum.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I remember it was said Culpepper told Barbee “you’re not my coach” when he was on the sideline. Sweet 16 min but Butler had something that year. Of course we regress and got Floyd…
I still say that Barbee messed up by letting it leak he was leaving during the NCAA. We were up on eventually National Championship runner up Butler at half then self destructed! We got a bad draw that year and the Barbee news effected us too. Should've been a sweet 16 team at minimum.

Wow that team was fun to watch!!! Oh, if Barbee stays one more year that next year coulda been special if everyone stays. Like final 4 special!😓

In my opinion Mosquito is right, Caracter came to UTEP to rehabilitate his image and he gave us one great season, but he wouldn't have stayed the next year no matter whom the coach was. Moultrie would have stayed if Barbee had, however, and we would have returned to the Tournament. What might have been ...

I don't know what to believe on this. I have heard people tell me that Barbee did indeed tell the team about his eminent departure at halftime, and others tell me that this absolutely didn't happen. Each side has always claimed that they were close with a member of the team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I don't know what to believe on this. I have heard people tell me that Barbee did indeed tell the team about his eminent departure at halftime, and others tell me that this absolutely didn't happen. Each side has always claimed that they were close with a member of the team.
Let's give Butler some credit, UTEP perimeter D was atrocious.

Reactions: groundrounds
So much money involved though

The 3 future SB schools are currently 2-15 vs the remaining 5 CUSA schools. Too bad half of their wins is against us.

The triplets are really screwing things up for the SB, too.

"“At the end of the day, they are hosting us hostages too,” a Sun Belt official said......"“Do we then get sued?” a SBC official asks. “Are we then complicit?”"

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

"“At the end of the day, they are hosting us hostages too,” a Sun Belt official said......"“Do we then get sued?” a SBC official asks. “Are we then complicit?”"
Sue them for the 4 bucks the conference is worth

Curious, whats the source of that quote?

CUSA requests arbitration with the SBC3 per bylaws last Thursday and Marshall files law suit against CUSA today saying they were unaware of bylaw requiring arbitration. The plot thickens.

CUSA requests arbitration with the SBC3 per bylaws last Thursday and Marshall files law suit against CUSA today saying they were unaware of bylaw requiring arbitration. The plot thickens.

Lawyer job justification, no offense to any lawyers on this board...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT