ADVERTISEMENT

"Meal plans"

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
So Aaron Jones called out UTEP's meal plans as falling short of the big boys.

What is UTEP's meal plan compared to the big boys?

Also, I think the major schools have a "training table" where they put all sorts of bags of munchies for the players to come grab. Does UTEP do this?

Reactions: minermx07
At A&M, you had chefs preparing meals that were suitable for each athlete's needs in agreement with the strength and conditioning coach. There are healthy snack tables in the facility but athletes were also given dining dollars to eat at places on campus (cafeterias, chick fil a, subway, etc.)

UTEP has vending machines that you have to pay for but I'm sure they can get all the Chico's Tacos they want by saying they are with the FB team.

Reactions: JCorona
Fair enough if you want to complain about the meal plans for these players, I’m sure for a program like UTEP they probably feed these kids something that cheap, and probably not healthy. Whatever.

But if we were to list the reasons UTEP football is so bad I would imagine “meal plans” would not be high on the list. Poor recruiting, poor game plans, facilities, etc are probably more to blame than food. We’ve said before that UTEP has brought in poor recruits over the years, now I don’t care if you fed these kids filet mignon laced with HGH, it wasn’t going to make these 0 star kids into 5 star recruits.

Fair enough if you want to complain about the meal plans for these players, I’m sure for a program like UTEP they probably feed these kids something that cheap, and probably not healthy. Whatever.

But if we were to list the reasons UTEP football is so bad I would imagine “meal plans” would not be high on the list. Poor recruiting, poor game plans, facilities, etc are probably more to blame than food. We’ve said before that UTEP has brought in poor recruits over the years, now I don’t care if you fed these kids filet mignon laced with HGH, it wasn’t going to make these 0 star kids into 5 star recruits.

“Meal plans” weren’t a problem in 2000, 2004, and 2005. If a recruit wants to choose a school over meal plans, I would hear that out. Once they’re enrolled here, it’s bullshit. Jones is just covering for a coach that gave his brother a scholarship when nobody else would.

At A&M, you had chefs preparing meals that were suitable for each athlete's needs in agreement with the strength and conditioning coach. There are healthy snack tables in the facility but athletes were also given dining dollars to eat at places on campus (cafeterias, chick fil a, subway, etc.)

UTEP has vending machines that you have to pay for but I'm sure they can get all the Chico's Tacos they want by saying they are with the FB team.

A&M can’t use being poor as an excuse.

A&M can’t use being poor as an excuse.

They definitely don't, especially when you sign Jimbo for 10 yrs.

There is a tangible difference between a power 5 school versus UTEP. AJ has some legit points about the meal plans. But this once again come down to dollars allocated to the program by the administration. Add more money to get the "low hanging fruit" offerings to prospects; it would be a start.

Money wisely invested to UTEP FB can lead to better facilities, better meal plans, etc which *helps* translates into wins (edit: recruiting and coaching lead directly to wins). Get enough wins and winning seasons, money would come in to help sustain those costs as well as help pay for other athletic teams.

Reactions: axingfools1
They definitely don't, especially when you sign Jimbo for 10 yrs.

There is a tangible difference between a power 5 school versus UTEP. AJ has some legit points about the meal plans. But this once again come down to dollars allocated to the program by the administration. Add more money to get the "low hanging fruit" offerings to prospects; it would be a start.

Money wisely invested to UTEP FB can lead to better facilities, better meal plans, etc which *helps* translates into wins (edit: recruiting and coaching lead directly to wins). Get enough wins and winning seasons, money would come in to help sustain those costs as well as help pay for other athletic teams.

This has been discussed, but P5 schools charge students a student athletics fee to support sports. UTEP doesn’t.

This has been discussed, but P5 schools charge students a student athletics fee to support sports. UTEP doesn’t.

This is true but another solution would be for Wilson to adjust the school budget to allocate more money to FB.

Will an extra 2 million lead to a CUSA Championship? Our budget is 33 million, the champ is at 35. It has to be deeper issues than a few million. LT’s budget is 12 million less than us. I don't think I have to repeat it but they've won 6 bowls games in a row.

Will an extra 2 million lead to a CUSA Championship? Our budget is 33 million, the champ is at 35. It has to be deeper issues than a few million. LT’s budget is 12 million less than us. I don't think I have to repeat it but they've won 6 bowls games in a row.

Which is why part of my quote earlier says use budget wisely. If the budget increased by 2 million, that definitely can be used to improve areas such as the meal plans. But paying a coach like Dimel is prime example how not to wisely spend money.

Money is only part of the answer, but students should kick in.

“Meal plans” weren’t a problem in 2000, 2004, and 2005. If a recruit wants to choose a school over meal plans, I would hear that out. Once they’re enrolled here, it’s bullshit. Jones is just covering for a coach that gave his brother a scholarship when nobody else would.

I understand that UTEP as a university along with the athletic program probably don’t have the best meal “plans” compared to other schools but would anyone on this board think that UTEP has lost to NMSU last couple of years because of meal plans? Did we lose to NAU last year because of meal plans? Did Army smash the shit out of Jones and company years back because they ate better food? These kids are elite athletes who train for a living, their metabolisms are sky high. I understand that better food would definitely help but we’re not talking about some 50 year old bum who’s eating burgers all day trying to lose weight so he can run a marathon. How many athletes and pro boxers especially drink and party their asses off and are still in amazing shape. And really if they’re eating shit can you solely blame the university or shouldn’t there also be a little bit of blame for the individual?

And as much as I love Aaron Jones and those players for being such great ambassadors off the field for this university and the city I don’t agree with the point. Those guys are all willing to die on the hill and say that Sean Kugler was a great coach, but that’s not true. Good person? Ok. Great teacher? Yeah, why not. Great mentor? Yes. But a good coach? Nah.

Last edited:
I understand that UTEP as a university along with the athletic program probably don’t have the best meal “plans” compared to other schools but would anyone on this board think that UTEP has lost to NMSU last couple of years because of meal plans? Did we lose to NAU last year because of meal plans? Did Army smash the shit out of Jones and company years back because they ate better food? These kids are elite athletes who train for a living, their metabolisms are sky high. I understand that better food would definitely help but we’re not talking about some 50 year old bum who’s eating burgers all day trying to lose weight so he can run a marathon. And really if they’re eating shit can you solely blame the university or shouldn’t there also be a little bit of blame for the individual?

And as much as I love Aaron Jones and those players for being such great ambassadors off the field for this university and the city I don’t agree with the point. Those guys are all willing to die on the hill and say that Sean Kugler was a great coach, but that’s not true. Good person? Ok. Great teacher? Yeah, why not. Great mentor? Yes. But a good coach? Nah.

dude

Better nutrition would also improve performance. I know Papa Johns used to be the post game meal for the basketball team back in the day not what you want for high performance.

They still carry out full pizza after the game. It's funny when the bench players get a whole pizza after the game.

I understand that UTEP as a university along with the athletic program probably don’t have the best meal “plans” compared to other schools but would anyone on this board think that UTEP has lost to NMSU last couple of years because of meal plans? Did we lose to NAU last year because of meal plans? Did Army smash the shit out of Jones and company years back because they ate better food? These kids are elite athletes who train for a living, their metabolisms are sky high. I understand that better food would definitely help but we’re not talking about some 50 year old bum who’s eating burgers all day trying to lose weight so he can run a marathon. How many athletes and pro boxers especially drink and party their asses off and are still in amazing shape. And really if they’re eating shit can you solely blame the university or shouldn’t there also be a little bit of blame for the individual?

I agree. Even if they do have bad meal plans, you’re telling me that Louisiana-Monroe, Ball St, and San Jose St have better meals plans than us? I don’t think so.

Exactly. If you think food is going to put you over the top, you suck. Chad Johnson was notorious for eating McDonalds, but that guy also had God given talent and an insane work ethic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/weird-eating-habits-in-sports-2012-10

Yup. Like we said earlier, just a weak excuse by a Kugler defender. In my opinion they only way a “meal plan” would be a deciding factor is of a recruits final list is all tied and he chooses the ones with a better plan. No way someone chooses UTSA over UTEP because of a meal plan. Coaches, play time, and location are all way bigger deciding factors than a meal plan.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Let’s face it, many of these athletes don’t have the best diets. If given the choice, many would prefer pizza and burgers over veggies, tofu and fish. AJ was the exception because he had a goal of playing in the NFL and was known to put in the hard on the field and gym along with maintaining a healthy diet.

Last edited:

Good points 8106 as usual.

Would improving the meal plans make UTEP an 8-4 program? No. But you do what you can right. You fix what’s in your control. You do the little things right and you pay attention to detail.

My theory? Natalicio just didn’t respect athletics. Hired outdated types to run the Athletic program and UTEPs Athletic program is stuck in the 80s as other universities embrace the 21st Century.

There are probably JUCOs and D3 programs that are run better than UTEP.

The sooner we get rid of Senter the better.

Good points 8106 as usual.

Would improving the meal plans make UTEP an 8-4 program? No. But you do what you can right. You fix what’s in your control. You do the little things right and you pay attention to detail.

My theory? Natalicio just didn’t respect athletics. Hired outdated types to run the Athletic program and UTEPs Athletic program is stuck in the 80s as other universities embrace the 21st Century.

There are probably JUCOs and D3 programs that are run better than UTEP.

The sooner we get rid of Senter the better.

BOOM! THIS 1000 TIMES!!

I agree completely with this. It's best to cut bait now with Senter and do a full culture change to get us into the 21st Century.

Reactions: minermx07
First of all I doubt that UTEP can't afford napkins, but if so the point is then you buy what you need first (or just go to a sink and wash your hands). Oh nevermind. This complaint is stupid.
I ain't buying shit for my company. My boss and his investors make plenty of money. They want me to bring my own tp. Forget that I'll start looking for a new job.

Aaron Jones claims that UTEP cannot afford napkins and wet ones for the football team!

Can’t afford them? Or they don’t care to buy them. Those are two different things. Because if UTEP can’t afford something as trivial as napkins then there is no way in hell they are buying any coach out, and we’re closer to financial ruin than we think.

Can’t afford them? Or they don’t care to buy them. Those are two different things. Because if UTEP can’t afford something as trivial as napkins then there is no way in hell they are buying any coach out, and we’re closer to financial ruin than we think.

It was a joke. AB made a comment about Price claiming they lost a game because they had slippery fingers from Turkey legs.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT