ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach talks about WSU turnaround this season

To one dimensional. Really not hard to figure out regarding Kugler. I do agree that the ball is not being spread all around to the skilled players but yet it goes to players who do not have their head in the game and to me that has to do with Kugler's one dimensional approach. For the life of me I just don't get the little use of Plinke (other than the LT game) over the last season and a half? Not sure why he insist on going to Juniel at times? He is just not FBS caliber player. He lit it up in the juco ranks on special teams but that hasn't worked out and now it's worse with White fielding kick offs now. Juniel is not the slot player Kugler led fans to believe he could be. Greenlee is a bust. Metz shows his wizardry and moxy on the field during live games and players rally around him but loses his starting role at times during spring or summer drills or he gets hurt. Kugler is down to two tough, reliable, consistent, lunch pail to work, players that get it done in practice and in games and they both are related....the Jones brothers.

Football morphs over the decades. Rules get changed and tweaked. Players focus on 4.3 speed and max bench press. Parents put the kids into Pop Warner often instead of getting the tutor for classes because their son "needs focus". (Texas) School districts are having bond elections to build posh HS football stadiums (this just send me over the edge at times). Don't blast me, this is reality! Is Kugler accepting of this reality of the spoiled Texas football recruit? Kugler got lucky to get the Jones brothers, plain simple luck. As fans, boosters, followers of UTEP athletics, is Kugler's philosophy the right fit at this time for UTEP? I say "no". He's not even the right fit for any head coaching position at this level. The game changed, he didn't. He said on the post game interview after Saturday's game he is fully aware of the realities he is facing at this level of football but he and his players "will go down swinging". The only problem is during Saturdays game, there was no swinging!

A players over at Kyyote's Den said he was a walk on during the David Lee era and Lee had better players as compared to Kugler but just couldn't put it together. I think it's deja vu all over again. Kugler has good players like Lee back then, and like Lee, he to can't put it together even after all that time at the FBS and NFL level. This stings a little bit because Kugler is one of our own.

Jim Thorpe where are you when we need you?.

The maddening part of this season is that we have alot of talent. The skill players are very good. We have alot of talent at receiver, we just arent using them. Plinke should be an all conference tight end he should be in the game plan prominently every week. The talent in the backfield is ridiculous. They still are underutilizing wadley and dove. They should be finding creative ways to get them the ball. The line had four returning starters they should be the strength of the team. The oline is Kugler's greatest failure.

On defense Alvin Jones in the best linebacker since the late great thomas howard. I know hes been injured hopefully he heals up. Beverly and Needham are the best pair of corners we've had since jamal fenner and adrian ward. We have a lot of good young linebackers.

We shouldnt be this bad. This season is a result of lack of player development or lack of buy in by the players. The schemes especially on offense arent helping.This reminds me of Nord's fourth year there was alot of assembled talent it just took another coach to win with them. The current team is talented and with a different coaching staff could win 8 or 9 games.

WSU averages 44 points per game this season and can easily put up more than 50. They are loaded in their skill positions and their coach is an offensive genius. Scoring points has never been a problem for them, just their toughness so they fixed it and now they are turning it around.Scoring 44 points a game will give you a very good chance to win every football game.

Toughness is not an issue with us. Our problem is we have a ineffective, predictable power run offense that is lucky to score 14 points in a game and a coach who refuses to admit it doesn't work, and keeps going with it. Our QB's are terrible, our WR's are below average and have no playmakers. We would be at least 4-2, the Army game might have been a win, if we averaged 44 points per game like WSU. You need Bill Bilichick as your DC if you expect to win games scoring 14 points per game on offense.

I think there must be some bad karma or juju for El Paso athletics in general (unless you're a Bowie High football fan and good for them). I just heard the EPCC Tejanos baseball team played a scrimmage this weekend against a local high school baseball team and got crushed...ouch!

I think Houston Baptist may like their odds when they come to UTEP in three weeks.

Time to "Prenda la vela!" :rolleyes:

I don't know why people are shocked Plinke isn't getting touches. The same thing happened to Tomlinson his senior year.

WSU averages 44 points per game this season and can easily put up more than 50. They are loaded in their skill positions and their coach is an offensive genius. Scoring points has never been a problem for them, just their toughness so they fixed it and now they are turning it around.Scoring 44 points a game will give you a very good chance to win every football game.

Toughness is not an issue with us. Our problem is we have a ineffective, predictable power run offense that is lucky to score 14 points in a game and a coach who refuses to admit it doesn't work, and keeps going with it. Our QB's are terrible, our WR's are below average and have no playmakers. We would be at least 4-2, the Army game might have been a win, if we averaged 44 points per game like WSU. You need Bill Bilichick as your DC if you expect to win games scoring 14 points per game on offense.

I would disagree with the "toughness is not an issue" comment. I'd say it is, for several reasons.

Toughness feeds determination and vice versa. Toughness doesn't start on the physical side, it's the mental side. It's knowing your assignments and making a conscious effort to execute them, consistently. It's being able to, despite the odds, keep fighting and put the will in front of and behind the goal of dominating the man in front of you. It's also recognizing that you may not be able to out physical him, but you can be more mental, by studying film, refining your technique and developing alternate strategies. Establishing toughness is establishing a goal, laying down a foundation and creating a standard. That's not accomplished by yelling at your players. It's not accomplished by playing favorites or demeaning those you want to develop. An old coaching motto goes something like, "you coach the man, then the player." All of this starts in the training room and in meetings.

Yeah, the offense is as predictable as the taste of KFC's gut wrenching chicken. That's a coaching philosophy. It's either your philosophy fits your players or your players fit your philosophy. Sounds like the same, but it isn't. Frankly, Kug's players don't fit his philosophy (recruiting) nor has his staff developed them into what he wanted (coaching). The option was changing your coaching philosophy to fit what you have (see Petrino; Louisville). Kug's has remained stubbornly committed to one thing instead of reassessing what he had and charting how to make it better. That I can't teach you how to be tall thing. By the time he changed his staff, the snowball had already started rolling.

Again, he's a good man and I feel bad for him because I know he cares about changing the program. However, that starts with changing the man first, then the player and that started with himself.

I forgot about Tomlinson, another excellent TE not used much. What about the stud TE transfer from Kansas?

True. He could be another Fred Rouse for all I know? I was just wondering. But then again, Plinke was also a frequent flier in college football.

The Pirate is bat-shit crazy, but he sure keeps things interesting and funny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT