ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi St....

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I'm done talking about the Utep Football train wreck. On to B Ball! So I've made it clear that I dont have my hopes set to high for this season, but I'd like for us all to be surprised by Floyd and company. So my question is, if Utep beats Miss. St. tomorrow and goes 2-1 is that better than we all thought and does that give us a glimmer of hope?

We'd be 3-1 with a defeat of Miss St., which I certainly thought (think) was (is) attainable after the first four games.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I'm done talking about the Utep Football train wreck. On to B Ball! So I've made it clear that I dont have my hopes set to high for this season, but I'd like for us all to be surprised by Floyd and company. So my question is, if Utep beats Miss. St. tomorrow and goes 2-1 is that better than we all thought and does that give us a glimmer of hope?

It's better than I thought...especially after the Wake game.

The WF was a bad game but fans want to see a good bounce back and they did that against W. Michigan. Floyd will probably pull out the W against Miss State because Floyd likes these tournaments to showcase UTEP on a national stage. Only problem is the meltdowns come late February and early March.

The WF was a bad game but fans want to see a good bounce back and they did that against W. Michigan. Floyd will probably pull out the W against Miss State because Floyd likes these tournaments to showcase UTEP on a national stage. Only problem is the meltdowns come late February and early March.
Didn't we see meltdowns in December last season? Norfolk St, etc.

Reactions: UTEP05
Any season any coach should always be seen with guarded optimism. The win over WMU was a positive, a win over MSU would be another positive, these really aren't representative of a good or bad team and as a fan (or non-fan) enjoy the wins, puzzle at the losses. I will say that Floyds teams have been a puzzle, a wash. They seem to building to special only to crash and burn somewhere down the line. Last year I was impressed with the win of over CSU only to have that shattered by the horrifying loss to NMSU. The wins last year over Marshall and WKU here were not only enjoyable games but impressive as well. I wanted to gouge my eyes out with some of the other losses like Norfork and UTSA. My point being that if you are a fan and care about UTEP basketball, this is the time of the season to do it, to enjoy with guarded optimism. We can turn on critical when we lose or underperform anytime after. Floyd is the coach and that is UTEP's team they deserve guarded optimism and hope until they prove otherwise.

Last edited:
A guy who averages 9 a game scores 18 on us and a guy who hadn't scored a point all season scores 12. But, we held their leading scorer below his average, so our coaches are defensive geniuses.

Seems like UTEP has no 3 point shooter, and when you go to the line a miss you loose the game, that's the general rule.

Omega shot a 3 poiner that could have given them a 1 point lead with a minute to go but he missed. I think they were 1-8 in the second half...that's poor

Loss sucks, especially against a beatable SEC team. Positive is Wilms. The foot held up while playing most of the game, he showed patience and control. Thomas continues to improve, and Floyd defenive plan seemed just fine to me against MSU. UTEP did good on the board with one and done rebounding against MSU's big men. Perimeter D much better and I saw good changes amongst players. MSU for some reason did not take advantage of many mismatches; a good team will expose that quickly.

MSU is rebuilding so no doubt this will give them a quality win if needed come March if needed, sadly UTEP doesn't have that luck because of conference affiliation. Jones is going to be a stud come his junior and senior year. I'm not so down on this loss, MSU just made the shots at the very end. I hate to say this but as a fan frustrated by Floyd, he does appear to be playing to the strengths of what he has. Very,very reserved optimism is how I feel after this weekend.

Not too upset, but they had this game til.the last couple of minutes when they simply couldn't buy a bucket. Missed several close shots and hope 3 that probably would've gotten them the win, even without Winn. Encouraged by the production of Willms. Looking at the schedule I'll say 17-19 wins going into tourney, nothing crazy, but better than what I expected. Still don't know when or if we'll ever be an NCAA team under Floyd though

The funniest thing is when the talk heats up every year with everyone clamoring on here for UTEP to get into the Big 12. Can you imagine where UTEP ends up in football and basketball in that conference every single year? We can't beat bad teams in decent conferences. UTEP should look to the WAC and Southland if they want to compete because we sure as heck can't in our own which is about as weak as they come.

Injured or did Floyd decide to screw with his head today?
According to coach Jonson, he indicated that Winn "wasn't all in" with the team so they flew him home early. Johnson added that he felt everything would be okay.

My opinion of the game, and someone else already mentioned it, they made shots at the end of the game and we didn't. Other than that they played pretty good considering Winn wasn't available.

According to coach Jonson, he indicated that Winn "wasn't all in" with the team so they flew him home early. Johnson added that he felt everything would be okay.

My opinion of the game, and someone else already mentioned it, they made shots at the end of the game and we didn't. Other than that they played pretty good considering Winn wasn't available.
Again, WTF does that mean? That's the excuse we hear over and over again. Did he miss a team meeting? Was he banging strippers all night long Friday night? Do they have legalized gambling in South Carolina? Did he not yell "Go Miners" enthusiastically enough in the team huddle?

Again, WTF does that mean? That's the excuse we hear over and over again. Did he miss a team meeting? Was he banging strippers all night long Friday night? Do they have legalized gambling in South Carolina? Did he not yell "Go Miners" enthusiastically enough in the team huddle?
There are times when for "everyone's" sake; you just don't blab events that are potentially detrimental to the involved parties. It's not something that you or I have the responsibility to deal with. Nothing positive could result. I'm curious too, but it's none of my business.
Amen!
You don't want your banging escapades made public do you?

This loss wasn't that bad. We already know our only chance of making the NCAA tourney is winning the CUSA tourney. I have been surprised with Willms so far this year. If he keeps up this level of play, Tim Floyd has all the pieces to finally win the CUSA tourney and get is in the NCAA tourney. No excuses not to get it done this year.

Utep would be a lot better in a power conference

Yes but for a power conference to invite us we have to SHOW we are powerful both in football and basketball, sadly more in football because that is the money maker. However under the guidance, vision and wisdom of Bob Stull and Great Great Great Grandma Natalicio, that ain't happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
Utep will never be in a Power 5 Conference, so it doesn't matter to speculate. As far as Mississippi St. they aren't great, but they're better than 80% of conf USA probably

I agree if Houston is having a hard time getting into the Big 12 what chance do we have? Zero.

There are times when for "everyone's" sake; you just don't blab events that are potentially detrimental to the involved parties. It's not something that you or I have the responsibility to deal with. Nothing positive could result. I'm curious too, but it's none of my business.
Amen!
You don't want your banging escapades made public do you?
Same excuse over and over and over again. If it happens every once in a while, maybe I'd give Floyd the benefit of the doubt. But, I'm pretty much done with that. It's serious enough to send him home, but not really serious at all and just intended to "send a message." Yep, that's always seemed to work in the past. Like a lot of things with this program, I'm just sick and tired of it.

The Mountain West doesn't even want UTEP, so I don't know why people think the Big 12 might want UTEP. UTSA will be in the Big 12 before UTEP.

Same excuse over and over and over again. If it happens every once in a while, maybe I'd give Floyd the benefit of the doubt. But, I'm pretty much done with that. It's serious enough to send him home, but not really serious at all and just intended to "send a message." Yep, that's always seemed to work in the past. Like a lot of things with this program, I'm just sick and tired of it.

Yeah, you're right. We shouldn't make them follow rules no matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT