ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippitoday.org: "It’s past time for radical change in Conference USA"

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"This is Mississippi Today and we are much more interested in Southern Miss. The geographic nightmare that is CUSA really makes no sense for the Golden Eagles, who along with UAB, are the only original members remaining in the league.... Southern Miss would prefer to be in the SEC and share in its riches....We can quibble about the exact makeup, but I’d take Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas and Middle Tennessee State from CUSA. I’d take Arkansas State, South Alabama, Louisiana, Troy, Georgia Southern and Georgia State from the Sun Belt. Crank up the buses. Save the airfare. It makes sense and would save dollars, thousands and thousands of dollars.."

First off, what riches? (Academic? School revenue? Is it fan travel?) I can not find anything on google?

This is less attractive than CUSA. Yeah, USA loves those Mississippi TV markets in TV negotiations.

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/05/29/it-past-time-for-radical-change-in-conference-usa/

"This is Mississippi Today and we are much more interested in Southern Miss. The geographic nightmare that is CUSA really makes no sense for the Golden Eagles, who along with UAB, are the only original members remaining in the league.... Southern Miss would prefer to be in the SEC and share in its riches....We can quibble about the exact makeup, but I’d take Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas and Middle Tennessee State from CUSA. I’d take Arkansas State, South Alabama, Louisiana, Troy, Georgia Southern and Georgia State from the Sun Belt. Crank up the buses. Save the airfare. It makes sense and would save dollars, thousands and thousands of dollars.."

First off, what riches? (Academic? School revenue? Is it fan travel?) I can not find anything on google?

This is less attractive than CUSA. Yeah, USA loves those Mississippi TV markets in TV negotiations.

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/05/29/it-past-time-for-radical-change-in-conference-usa/
Schools like UTEP throughout the west have to fly a lot. Damn few bus trips. Sounds like USM cannot afford to travel unless it is by bus. I'll be so glad when UTEP does not have to be in what is primarily a southern conference.

Schools like UTEP throughout the west have to fly a lot. Damn few bus trips. Sounds like USM cannot afford to travel unless it is by bus. I'll be so glad when UTEP does not have to be in what is primarily a southern conference.
I dunno. Flying to play Marshall does more for your schedule than busing to play Georgia State.

I dunno. Flying to play Marshall does more for your schedule than busing to play Georgia State.

Don’t you ever get tired of being wrong? A Marshall-USM football game is so great that when they last played in 2018, ESPN and CBS passed on it and it aired on Stadium. The basketball game aired on ESPN+ this year.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

Good luck then. Not sure when that will be. UTEP would have to join the WAC and go Independent for football

But NMSU is "weak" and they can do it, but UTEP can't?

They can't do it. They probably have three years to find a conference or drop football. They are in the WAC because there is no where else for them to go. It's a conference for teams transitioning to D1.

If NMSU doesnt get into the MWC or C-USA or SunBelt 3.0 the Big Sky makes alot sense. Much better league than the WAC. Don't know if
FCS football is financially feasible for them.

If NMSU doesnt get into the MWC or C-USA or SunBelt 3.0 the Big Sky makes alot sense. Much better league than the WAC. Don't know if
FCS football is financially feasible for them.

They already have games scheduled until 2029. You have no clue what you are talking about.

NMSU is "weak". UTEP beats them every year!!!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
They already have games scheduled until 2029. You have no clue what you are talking about.

You have no clue what you're talking about. There's a reason only rich teligous schools or the military academies play as independents. It's not financially feasible. Idaho had cames scheduled out for years and dropped down to FCS.

You have no clue what you're talking about. There's a reason only rich teligous schools or the military academies play as independents. It's not financially feasible. Idaho had cames scheduled out for years and dropped down to FCS.

Here's the proof: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Where's the proof that Idao has games scheduled for years?

Here's the proof: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Where's the proof that Idao has games scheduled for years?

Why doesnt any want reputable conference want them?

That's how scheduling works people schedule years out. It doesnt mean they wont hemmorge money being independent which will happen.

It looks ridiculous when you advocate joining the WAC and playing as an independent. It's either a troll thread or you're not very knowledgable about college athletics.

Reactions: MINER51
They can't do it. They probably have three years to find a conference or drop football. They are in the WAC because there is no where else for them to go. It's a conference for teams transitioning to D1.

That accurately describes the WAC and NMSU’s conference issue. And UTEP still loses to them! NMSU is still successful despite all that. What’s UTEP’s excuse? What proof do you have that NMSU is “almost dropping football in 3 years”?

You don’t have any. You’re just upset at NMSU for some reason. You must take the basketball losses personally. The donors didn’t leave when UTEP was going 1-10 in 70s and 80s, but they would leave in we went Independent?

That's how scheduling works people schedule years out. It doesnt mean they wont hemmorge money being independent which will happen.

It looks ridiculous when you advocate joining the WAC and playing as an independent. It's either a troll thread or you're not very knowledgable about college athletics.

You don't have proof. Got it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Dude, nobody wants them because their football program ****ing sucks. Only UTEPs is worse at this point. We are in the middle of nowhere and if CUSA could kick us out, they absolutely would. UTEP doesn’t bring anything to the conference anymore. If NMSU were in the Dallas metroplex, they’d be in a conference.

Being in a conference doesn’t matter, if you win 1 game a year in football and lose in the first round of your conference tournament in basketball.

Idaho is still cashing in from games against FBS teams that were scheduled before they dropped to FCS. They’re getting paid more than double than what the average FCS team normally makes.

LSU wrote a clause in their contract to protect them against teams that drop to FCS so they were able to cancel the game against Idaho. UTEP wrote a similar clause in their contract with NMSU around the time when the Sun Belt told them to leave.

Dude, nobody wants them because their football program ****ing sucks. Only UTEPs is worse at this point. We are in the middle of nowhere and if CUSA could kick us out, they absolutely would. UTEP doesn’t bring anything to the conference anymore. If NMSU were in the Dallas metroplex, they’d be in a conference.

Being in a conference doesn’t matter, if you win 1 game a year in football and lose in the first round of your conference tournament in basketball.
Well actually it does help to be in a conference even if your team sucks. Hopefully UTEP's plan is to stop sucking soon. But in the meantime the conference distribution for cfp money is much better for conference affiliated schools. The CUSA media distribution is 400k per team. Not much by today's standards but better than the Aggies of NMSU. Also scheduling is a helluva lot easier. But like you and most on the board, i want UTEP to be better positioned when it comes to conference affiliation. Not happening until UTEP is winning in fb and mbb.

Reactions: utep2step
Well actually it does help to be in a conference even if your team sucks. Hopefully UTEP's plan is to stop sucking soon. But in the meantime the conference distribution for cfp money is much better for conference affiliated schools. The CUSA media distribution is 400k per team. Not much by today's standards but better than the Aggies of NMSU. Also scheduling is a helluva lot easier. But like you and most on the board, i want UTEP to be better positioned when it comes to conference affiliation. Not happening until UTEP is winning in fb and mbb.

Whatever scraps UTEP makes from CUSA, they’re spending it on travel to the southern and eastern schools. If NMSU and UMass can get Independent schedules put together, UTEP could too. Give UTEP NMSU’s schedule from last year and nothing changes. They would still suck, still no bowl games.

Yes, I want to UTEP to succeed and get into the MWC, but that’s only possible after years and years of winning. The MWC isn’t going to give us an offer if we win a bowl game and make the round of 32 in 2023. We’re stuck in CUSA for at least 10 more years. Unless radical changes happen.

Leaving CUSA for independence is the dumbest idea ever. Liberty who is surrounded by FBS and FCS teams knows the importance of being in a conference and that’s why they tried buying their way into cusa by offering a 24 Million dollar buy in.

A team would rather pay 24 million and be in shitty cusa than to be independent.

That’s all we need to know.

Leaving CUSA for independence is the dumbest idea ever. Liberty who is surrounded by FBS and FCS teams knows the importance of being in a conference and that’s why they tried buying their way into cusa by offering a 24 Million dollar buy in.

A team would rather pay 24 million and be in shitty cusa than to be independent.

That’s all we need to know.

Again, no context. Liberty plays their non-football sports in the Atlantic Sun. So putting their basketball teams in CUSA is a step up. Instead of playing NJIT and Stetson, they can play ODU and Western Kentucky.

Despite playing the in Big South and Atlantic Sun in their recent history, they have still won a NCAA Tournament game more recently than UTEP. They won at Vanderbilt and started 14-0 this past season. When was the last time UTEP beat a SEC team on the road or started 14-0?

Also, $24,000,000 is a drop in the bucket to Liberty. They have over 100,000 students.

Again, no context. Liberty plays their non-football sports in the Atlantic Sun. So putting their basketball teams in CUSA is a step up. Instead of playing NJIT and Stetson, they can play ODU and Western Kentucky.

Despite playing the in Big South and Atlantic Sun in their recent history, they have still won a NCAA Tournament game more recently than UTEP. They won at Vanderbilt and started 14-0 this past season. When was the last time UTEP beat a SEC team on the road or started 14-0?

Also, $24,000,000 is a drop in the bucket to Liberty. They have over 100,000 students.
Ok so CUSA is a step up from the big south and Atlantic sun but CUSA and the wac are equal. I thought you were smarter. The stubbornness to defend this idiotic position is puzzling.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/conferencerpi

Ok so CUSA is a step up from the big south and Atlantic sun but CUSA and the wac are equal. I thought you were smarter. The stubbornness to defend this idiotic position is puzzling.

Where did I say they were equal? I have stated it’s not a bad alternative and is better travel wise. Not mention 1/9 chance instead of 1/14. CUSA is better, but it’s marginal, at best. Yes, CUSA is a step up from the Big South and ASun. Both are regional conferences, played in dumpy, old, small gyms. Liberty is the cream of the crop. They just built a new arena. They don’t belong in the ASun.

The WAC is severely dragged down by Chicago State, who is an embarrassment to Division 1 and the WAC. Trade Chicago St for MTSU and their numbers would be better for last year. Chicago State sucks. Though, they even beat us the last time we played. Sad!

Where did I say they were equal? I have stated it’s not a bad alternative and is better travel wise. Not mention 1/9 chance instead of 1/14. CUSA is better, but it’s marginal, at best. Yes, CUSA is a step up from the Big South and ASun. Both are regional conferences, played in dumpy, old, small gyms. Liberty is the cream of the crop. They just built a new arena. They don’t belong in the ASun.
It’s a horrible alternative. UTEP doesn’t belong in the WAC. That’s taking huge backward steps.

How much do you estimate we would save on travel costs? I know that’s just a dumb general statement you make without any facts behind it. I did that math for you.

Last season NMSU traveled 11,000 miles around the WAC. UTEP traveled 12,321 miles around cusa. How much money are we going to save? With the pod system gone and cusa switching to a more regional division play I expect the miles to be about the same next season. Zero incentive to leave cusa for independence and the wac.

Reactions: Dmanminer
It’s a horrible alternative. UTEP doesn’t belong in the WAC. That’s taking huge backward steps.

How much do you estimate we would save on travel costs? I know that’s just a dumb general statement you make without any facts behind it. I did that math for you.

Last season NMSU traveled 11,000 miles around the WAC. UTEP traveled 12,321 miles around cusa. How much money are we going to save? With the pod system gone and cusa switching to a more regional division play I expect the miles to be about the same next season. Zero incentive to leave cusa for independence and the wac.

Thats what CUSA plans to do this season, doesn’t mean they will always do it. Keep in mind NMSU will be replacing their trips to Kansas City with trips to “Dallas” and replacing their trips to Bakersfield with trips to St George, Utah.

Being in the WAC isn’t a “horrible alternative”. As stated before, CUSA is a 14 team, 1 bid league. The biggest in D1. The WAC isn’t. UTEP would have a better chance of getting to the tournament in a smaller league.

In what world is it acceptable to say we can’t compete with utsa and UNT so we’re leaving to see if we can beat Edingburgh/stephenville Texas and Orem/George Utah.

Sorry that’s loser mentality. I want to see UTEP join a tougher basketball league not a weaker one.

Reactions: Minerforlife
In what world is it acceptable to say we can’t compete with utsa and UNT so we’re leaving to see if we can beat Edingburgh/stephenville Texas and Orem/George Utah.

Sorry that’s loser mentality. I want to see UTEP join a tougher basketball league not a weaker one.

Why do you list the cities? CUSA is in such metropolis as Murfreesboro, TN, Bowling Green, KY, Ruston, LA, and Huntington, WV. How many Trump lovers do you think live in those hick areas?

What’s a loser mentality is actually losing, which UTEP does. Every year UTEP proves it can’t compete in CUSA, so the audacity of even thinking that UTEP could join and compete in a better league is even more ridiculous.

Recent greatness that is UTEP basketball:

2019-20 - 11th place conference finish, barely over .500 and needed 3 D2 wins to do so
2018-19 - 14th place conference finish, losing season
2017-18 - 12th place conference finish, losing season
2016-17 - Started 2-13, under .500

4 seasons of crap, preceded by mediocrity since 2010.

Why do you list the cities? CUSA is in such metropolis as Murfreesboro, TN, Bowling Green, KY, Ruston, LA, and Huntington, WV. How many Trump lovers do you think live in those hick areas?

What’s a loser mentality is actually losing, which UTEP does. Every year UTEP proves it can’t compete in CUSA, so the audacity of even thinking that UTEP could join and compete in a better league is even more ridiculous.
Those cities have universities that have actually done something worthwhile recently. MTSU has beat Michigan St and Minnesota in the NCAAT. WKU has won 4 of the last 5 bowl games. They also made an NIT final four recently. Marshall beat Wichita St in the ncaat and have won 7 of the last 8 bowl games. La Tech has won 6 straight bowl games and have made two recent quarterfinal NIT runs?

What have Edingburgh/Stephenville and the Utah schools done that we should leave cusa to join them?

Those cities have universities that have actually done something worthwhile recently. MTSU has beat Michigan St and Minnesota in the NCAAT. WKU has won 4 of the last 5 bowl games. They also made an NIT final four recently. Marshall beat Wichita St in the ncaat and have won 7 of the last 8 bowl games. La Tech has won 6 straight bowl games and have made two recent quarterfinal NIT runs?

What have Edingburgh/Stephenville and the Utah schools done that’s we should leave cusa to join them?

We’re talking basketball here and you bring in football? Doesn’t have anything to do with the WAC. Marshall, LaTech, WKU, and MTSU all have football programs light years better than UTEP. Any team UTEP would schedule in place of them for an Independent schedule would still be light years ahead of UTEP.

UTRGV, UVU, and Dixie St suck. That’s the point. UTEP actually has a shot at competing and beat them. As I just pointed out, UTEP can’t even compete in Conference USA or beat Lamar type schools on a regular basis.

Great job listing those basketball “successes”. CUSA is still a 14 team, 1 bid league, who’s never on real TV. MTSU was the worst team in the league this year, those NCAA wins mean nothing anymore. Their good players left and they’re trash now.

We’re talking basketball here and you bring in football? Doesn’t have anything to do with the WAC. Marshall, LaTech, WKU, and MTSU all have football programs light years better than UTEP. Any team UTEP would schedule in place of them for an Independent schedule would still be light years ahead of UTEP.

UTRGV, UVU, and Dixie St suck. That’s the point. UTEP actually has a shot at competing and beat them. As I just pointed out, UTEP can’t even compete in Conference USA or beat Lamar type schools on a regular basis.
I’m taking conference affiliation. Two different sets of mind. I want better competition to improve the program you want to dilute the competition to make it seem like we’re improving. No judgment zone. Good thing that not even dumbass Stull and Senter would ever agree to such a backwards step.

I’m taking conference affiliation. Two different sets of mind. I want better competition to improve the program you want to dilute the competition to make it seem like we’re improving. No judgment zone. Good thing that not even dumbass Stull and Senter would ever agree to such a backwards step.

Well it doesn’t matter anyway, because we will continue to watch UTEP not make bowl games or NCAA Tournaments. You can hang your head high knowing that UTEP is losing to many mediocre schools while repping Conference USA! Much better to lose in CUSA than win in a “lesser” league.

Well it doesn’t matter anyway, because we will continue to watch UTEP not make bowl games or NCAA Tournaments. You can hang your head high knowing that UTEP is losing to many mediocre schools while repping Conference USA! Much better to lose in CUSA than win in a “lesser” league.
Sounds like my entire life as a UTEP fan.

Sounds like my entire life as a UTEP fan.

You know what they say, “When you’re losing, keep trying the same stuff as before. Doing things different never worked for anyone.”

I’m going to go buy some stock in Kodak and Sears. After all, they were successful in the 60s-80s. Good thing they never changed and never thought outside the box like Apple, Google, and Nike.

You know what they say, “When you’re losing, keep trying the same stuff as before. Doing things different never worked for anyone.”

I’m going to go buy some stock in Kodak and Sears. After all, they were successful in the 60s-80s. Good thing they never changed and never thought outside the box like Apple, Google, and Nike.
Buying stock at sears is the equivalent of going independent. Returning to a diluted wac is the equivalent of buying stock at Kodak.

After all that’s where we were in the 60s.

Buying stock at sears is the equivalent of going independent. Returning to a diluted wac is the equivalent of buying stock at Kodak.

After all that’s where we were in the 60s.

Yeah sucks. I would hate to be conference mates with the people we had in the 60s. Much better to have Middle Tennessee and FIU now

Yeah sucks. I would hate to be conference mates with the people we had in the 60s. Much better to have Middle Tennessee and FIU now
That’s my point. Instead of Arizona and Arizona St it’s Grand Canyon. Instead of BYU and Utah it’s Utah Valley and Dixie St. Instead of San Diego St it’s Bakersfield. Instead of SMU and TCU it’s Tarleton St and Rio Grande Valley. It’s sad to even consider going back. It really is the equivalent of buying stock in cassette players and camera film.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT