ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippitoday.org: "It’s past time for radical change in Conference USA"

Right... Year 6 people were still making excuses for Floyd. Absolutely zero patience for Terry and Barbee.

Again, not apples to apples. Barbee basically “shit on” the “legacy” of the program. I didn’t mind one bit, and wished he had never gone to Auburn. Others, felt differently. Again, his predecessors had a tremendous 3 year run.

Tim Floyd has a Haskins guy, a tradition guy, and most people thought he would make the program better. He didn’t and because he was “well liked” and Bob Stull was here, he kept being employed.

Here comes RT, after the shit show that Floyd had, he’s tasked with trying to win here. Again, he brought in all these “great transfers” and after going 8-1, they get destroyed in Houston and Hawaii, then almost 3 players thought about transferring before Conference play. All 3 ended up doing it anyway. His talented team lost many games to just god awful coaching. That’s why many here do not believe in him. And because of Floyd not doing shit for 8 years, Terry has a much shorter lease. If RT was white, it would be the same guaranteed.

Look at Dimel, all of us want his white ass gone.

I actually still see support for Dimel on this board. They’re more quite or have disappeared but I’ve seen it even after only beating one FBS team.

To me it’s a double standard.

We’ve don’t believe in Terry because his D1 transfers didn’t pan out.

Meanwhile Floyd took a over a roster full of proven D1 seniors and squandered away the title vs a rebuilding Memphis. In response the fanbase says future days will be better.

It looks like they both shit the bed but received different responses from it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I actually still see support for Dimel on this board. They’re more quite or have disappeared but I’ve seen it even after only beating one FBS team.

Meanwhile Floyd took a over a roster full of proven D1 seniors and squandered away the title vs a rebuilding Memphis. In response the fanbase says future days will be better.

I agree, but it’s different because of Floyd’s Haskins ties and his proven track record. I guarantee if we had hired Chris Ogden and he did what Terry has done so far, people would be questioning him too.

We’re tired of ****ing losing. Terry is the highest paid coach in the conference. It doesn’t take 4 years to turn around a non-probation program like UTEP. We’ve seen many turnarounds in quicker time.

Tim Floyd has actually ruined the program. Terry is in a tough spot, but when you see his own players run off and you saw his poor coaching this conference play, what do you expect? It doesn’t exactly breed confidence in him.

I agree, but it’s different because of Floyd’s Haskins ties and his proven track record. I guarantee if we had hired Chris Ogden and he did what Terry has done so far, people would be questioning him too.

We’re tired of ****ing losing. Terry is the highest paid coach in the conference. It doesn’t take 4 years to turn around a non-probation program like UTEP. We’ve seen many turnarounds in quicker time.

Tim Floyd has actually ruined the program. Terry is in a tough spot, but when you see his own players run off and you saw his poor coaching this conference play, what do you expect? It doesn’t exactly breed confidence in him.
I hope you’re right.

I do get it, cuz I expected a little more this season. 20 wins and a top pod finish, so he did underperform. I feel like everyone is so quick to discredit him.

It took a while to get it rolling in Fresno but once he did they were riding a lot better than we were with Floyd. Floyd and Terry were hired to their respective programs one year apart.

Look at the end of the Floyd era here and the end of the Terry era at Fresno. Terry laid such a good foundation that even after stealing away his Fresno commits and all conference player Williams, the new coach still won 23 games. Now with all of Terry’s players gone at Fresno they’re back to their normal 10-win seasons.

This is a big year for Terry. IMO if he doesn’t improve on the win total and win a game or two in the cusa tournament then I might have to agree that he’s not going to cut it here.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Not sure what you're saying here, Mr. Fools, but I'd think a compulsory fee to help fund athletics is part of what it would take to ultimately fix our problems.
Well I assume much of the compulsory fee goes to other things aside from athletics. I dont know the percentage. I think UTEP needs a separate athketic fee dedicated only to athletics.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

My problem with Terry is that he did a crappy job coaching AND managing the players AND had the drama in year 2. Also, he has a win now attitude (which is ok), but he is not building a program at the same time. That says a lot to me. He has a grand total of 2 high school recruits while overrecruiting at certain positions that are filled. He is pushing players out because he wants to win now at all cost. We went through all this crap with Floyd (who was a way better X&O coach).

Yes maybe some didn't like Barbee in the beginning, but he recruited high level players and kept them. His teams improved every year. He added players to the teams need. He got the ball rolling and got the fans on his side. I have no doubt that his 5th season would have been a success and he would have been able to continue recruiting at a high level (no matter what Floyd said).

My problem with Terry is that he did a crappy job coaching AND managing the players AND had the drama in year 2. Also, he has a win now attitude (which is ok), but he is not building a program at the same time. That says a lot to me. He has a grand total of 2 high school recruits while overrecruiting at certain positions that are filled. He is pushing players out because he wants to win now at all cost. We went through all this crap with Floyd (who was a way better X&O coach).

Yes maybe some didn't like Barbee in the beginning, but he recruited high level players and kept them. His teams improved every year. He added players to the teams need. He got the ball rolling and got the fans on his side. I have no doubt that his 5th season would have been a success and he would have been able to continue recruiting at a high level (no matter what Floyd said).
Sounds a lot like Floyd’s first year. He came in and the Drama automatically started. He ran off Strong and our best player. Floyd is a better x and o coach and he was outcoached by second year hc Pastner when it mattered the most. People didn’t lose faith in him and make conclusions that he will never be successful here.

As far as Barbee, I’m glad the fans warmed up to him. Too bad the Administration never did.

Yuup. Look at his constant playing of Vila and him allowing the team to jack up 3’s, when they suck at shooting them. Not playing Stroud, when almost every fan saw what he could do. Nope, gotta give Boum and Vila 30+ minutes.

Tim Floyd sucks and is by far the worst coach in UTEP history. I don’t care about anyone pre-Haskins. He didn’t adapt to today’s game, he blamed the media and CUSA, and he quit during the season. He couldn’t win without cheating.

Well I assume much of the compulsory fee goes to other things aside from athletics. I dont know the percentage. I think UTEP needs a separate athketic fee dedicated only to athletics.

Ok, so I think we're saying the same thing. I was only questioning whether or not you felt it should be compulsory. I think a compulsory fee for athletics -- separate from other fees, compulsory or not -- is needed. Some/many students will hate it but without it things will never change.

Reactions: axingfools1
Sounds a lot like Floyd’s first year. He came in and the Drama automatically started. He ran off Strong and our best player. Floyd is a better x and o coach and he was outcoached by second year hc Pastner when it mattered the most. People didn’t lose faith in him and make conclusions that he will never be successful here.

As far as Barbee, I’m glad the fans warmed up to him. Too bad the Administration never did.
Corona I do understand we need to give Terry a little time, but I want to see his ability to adjust. We should know which direction to go after year 3. If there is one thing I liked about Floyd it was his ability to gameplan and adjust as the season went on. Terry botched that in year 2 and ultimately that could bite him in the ass.

I wonder how each coach would have done with the 09-10, 14-15 and this year's teams?

I'm not trying to compare Barbee, Floyd and Terry directly. All came under different circumstances and had different results. I think we all agree we thought Floyd was a good hire after Barbee left. I do think and that he should have been fired as soon as the team he built flopped in the14-15 postseason at home to Terry in the NIT (especially after the Hunter incident). 5 years is enough. I do understand its hard to fire a coach after a good season, but stull never set an expectation with Floyd. He just gave him free reign. If not then it should have been after the next season 100%.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I do think and that he should have been fired as soon as the team he built flopped in the14-15 postseason at home to Terry in the NIT (especially after the Hunter incident). 5 years is enough. I do understand its hard to fire a coach after a good season, but stull never set an expectation with Floyd. He just gave him free reign. If not then it should have been after the next season 100%.

Might want to check your facts. The 13-14 team lost to Terry at home in the CBI. The 14-15 team lost to Murray St on the road in the NIT.

Corona I do understand we need to give Terry a little time, but I want to see his ability to adjust. We should know which direction to go after year 3. If there is one thing I liked about Floyd it was his ability to gameplan and adjust as the season went on. Terry botched that in year 2 and ultimately that could bite him in the ass.

I wonder how each coach would have done with the 09-10, 14-15 and this year's teams?

I'm not trying to compare Barbee, Floyd and Terry directly. All came under different circumstances and had different results. I think we all agree we thought Floyd was a good hire after Barbee left. I do think and that he should have been fired as soon as the team he built flopped in the14-15 postseason at home to Terry in the NIT (especially after the Hunter incident). 5 years is enough. I do understand its hard to fire a coach after a good season, but stull never set an expectation with Floyd. He just gave him free reign. If not then it should have been after the next season 100%.
Overall I get the vibe that Terry is paying for Floyd’s failures. We talk about what a great x and o coach he is and his ability to adjust in season. Yet he couldn’t make the cusa championship game with his own players. Was he as good as you think he was?

I love it how El Paso always says Barbee left.

Maybe if BS wasn’t too busy making Tim Floyd the highest paid UTEP HC, he could have had time to write a contract extension for Barbee to consider.

Maybe if BS wasn’t too busy making Tim Floyd the highest paid UTEP HC, he could have had time to write a contract extension for Barbee to consider.

Come on man, UTEP wasn’t keeping Barbee anyway. He got a chance to coach in the SEC and open up a new arena. If he would have known Memphis and Houston were leaving soon, it makes any second thought about it disappear. With the right coach, Auburn is a good job. They made the Final 4 in 2019.

Come on man, UTEP wasn’t keeping Barbee anyway. He got a chance to coach in the SEC and open up a new arena. If he would have known Memphis and Houston were leaving soon, it makes any second thought about it disappear. With the right coach, Auburn is a good job. They made the Final 4 in 2019.
That’s not the point. He didn’t even make an offer. He let him walk and crowned Tim Floyd king of UTEP. At that point Floyd was the highest paid HC UTEP had ever had in either sport.

That’s a disrespectful slap in the face to Barbee. I’m sure Barbee has enjoyed watching the dumpster fire BS and TF created. #Karma

That’s not the point. He didn’t even make an offer. He let him walk and crowned Tim Floyd king of UTEP. At that point Floyd was the highest paid HC UTEP had ever had in either sport.

That’s a disrespectful slap in the face to Barbee. I’m sure Barbee has enjoyed watching the dumpster fire BS and TF created. #Karma
Whoever's fault it was, we should have done everything in our power to keep Barbee. Easy to say 100% in retrospect, but I was very upset when he left/was allowed to leave or whatever. Much more so than when BG left.

And I never said Floyd was a "great" x and o's coach, but he was better than Terry in that regard so far. I think thats pretty obvious.

And just to be clear I was fine with the Terry hire. I never took to the time to look at his coaching style at Fresno. I gave him year 1 to build and had high expectations in year 2 (knowing that year 2 or 3 would be really good). Whatever he did in year 1 I took with a grain of salt. Year 2 he showed a lot more of himself. Year 3 should make or break him at UTEP IMO.

It was just my humble observation. The administration was quick to replace Barbee with Floyd without even making an offer.

Now the fan base is quick to want to replace Terry.

I didn’t see that same energy with Floyd until about year 6.

Whoever's fault it was, we should have done everything in our power to keep Barbee. Easy to say 100% in retrospect, but I was very upset when he left/was allowed to leave or whatever. Much more so than when BG left.

And I never said Floyd was a "great" x and o's coach, but he was better than Terry in that regard so far. I think thats pretty obvious.

And just to be clear I was fine with the Terry hire. I never took to the time to look at his coaching style at Fresno. I gave him year 1 to build and had high expectations in year 2 (knowing that year 2 or 3 would be really good). Whatever he did in year 1 I took with a grain of salt. Year 2 he showed a lot more of himself. Year 3 should make or break him at UTEP IMO.
I don't think Senter views season 3 as make or break for Terry. Season 2 has already been spun as a huge improvement by the administration. I don't see any significant improvement for season 3 unless Bieniemy and Agnew are somehow cleared; and even then, I don't expect a huge improvement leading to a conference championship. Bottom line, I don't think Terry is going anywhere no matter what happens next year.

I don't think Senter views season 3 as make or break for Terry. Season 2 has already been spun as a huge improvement by the administration. I don't see any significant improvement for season 3 unless Bieniemy and Agnew are somehow cleared; and even then, I don't expect a huge improvement leading to a conference championship. Bottom line, I don't think Terry is going anywhere no matter what happens next year.
Unless of course we make the sweet 16 and Texas comes calling. ;)

Reactions: Lil_Train
Unless of course we make the sweet 16 and Texas comes calling. ;)
Or if old Kelvin at U of H decides to hang it up. Terry would never even have to leave H-town to recruit. Kind of like Kugler, but without all the losing part. :confused:

Reactions: JCorona
Are you trying to compare Terry to Barbee at this point in his UTEP tenure? I dont see the same trajectory, style or recruiting, but time will tell.

I'm talking about a dedicated fee for athletics, not a compulsory fee.
Terry had a better crop of players this past year. It was underachieving but improving at the same time and that lies the frustration. With Barbee, you saw improvement week by week. Almost everyone on here was complaining about his offense and Culpepper did this wrong, Culpepper did that wrong. This offense works for Cal, not UTEP. It was constant. By their senior year, it all came together.

You try to explain an athletic fee to the UTEP Student Government Association. It will not fly.

Or if old Kelvin at U of H decides to hang it up. Terry would never even have to leave H-town to recruit. Kind of like Kugler, but without all the losing part. :confused:

We don’t need to worry about that, lil_train. Not that we would worry, though. CRT has no chance at the UH job when the elder Sampson retires/leaves. His son, Kellen, was named head coach-in-waiting a while back. It’s all but a done deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ch-Kellen-Sampson-final-contract-15039114.php

The x-factor will be Wilson. The AD will only be able to spin it so far. She is not stupid and is much more involved.

I want UTEP to win. If the coaches win I will give them credit and support. We'll see.

The x-factor will be Wilson. The AD will only be able to spin it so far. She is not stupid and is much more involved.

I want UTEP to win. If the coaches win I will give them credit and support. We'll see.
I agree. She wants to see Dimel improve the program on the field, not just his now infamous "bullet points" and great presentations that got him the job. Concerning is wins? Is 3 improvement for her? Is 2 but statistical gains were made? She needs to ask herself, would this be tolerated for Air Force to be considered success?

I don’t believe any fans are talking about a “merger” like this guy is. CUSA and MWC already thought about that within the last decade. I believe most are talking about CUSA being mostly eastern schools and the SBC being the western ones for example. Merging two conferences into one, makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT