ADVERTISEMENT

Monday presser. This is where DH should come in?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
This is when Dimel should actually feel like the HVAC is not working as Darren peppers as to why UTEP is underperforming, again, to start year six.

This is not only a game UTEP should have won, but easily left victorious.

Reactions: nattybry
Honestly, they only focus on the APR for all the athletes. That's where the 50/50 thought process comes from.

In their minds, as long as the kids are doing well in school, and they have a 50/50 chance of winning ANY game, they are successful.

It's utter bullshit. It's a business. Treat it as such.

Everything is cool. Senter and Wilson are happy because at the end of the game there was a 50/50 chance of us winning. Winning isn’t as important as the kids having fun out there. That’s why Dimel is always smiles.
Not hyperbolic, but true. Dimel is always all smiles.

Legit question I’d ask Dimel if I was in the media still…..Coach Dimel, obviously it’s been a difficult rebuild job since you took over here at UTEP, but is there a level of embarrassment or a disappointment to lose to a team like Jax State whose in FBS but still transitioning with their facilities and roster build to FBS status in your sixth year of this UTEP rebuild?

Side note: Dre Spriggs was not on the depth chart this past week, did anyone in the media notice or ask? Another dude I seen people on X hyping up.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Honestly, they only focus on the APR for all the athletes. That's where the 50/50 thought process comes from.

In their minds, as long as the kids are doing well in school, and they have a 50/50 chance of winning ANY game, they are successful.

It's utter bullshit. It's a business. Treat it as such.
UTEP football had an APR ranking of 119 for 2021-22, which was up from 131 the previous year. So like you mentioned, more BS from UTEP admin. I guess the redirection works though. Anything to make it not about a business failure and a lack of accountability.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
The only possible way I don't stay completely disgusted at this loss is if Utep wins at least 7 games still and Jacksonville St. surprises and wins at least 6 games. Both of which I don't have confidence about at the moment SMH 😏

UTEP football had an APR ranking of 119 for 2021-22, which was up from 131 the previous year. So like you mentioned, more BS from UTEP admin. I guess the redirection works though. Anything to make it not about a business failure and a lack of accountability.
APR was Kugler's thing. I don't think Dimel puts much priority on that.

The only possible way I don't stay completely disgusted at this loss is if Utep wins at least 7 games still and Jacksonville St. surprises and wins at least 6 games. Both of which I don't have confidence about at the moment SMH 😏
Jacksonville has a bad bad offense, i will betting their unders the rest of the year. Weak WRs and their QB is super inaccurate. If they were any good they would’ve put 30 on the board against Dimel.

APR was Kugler's thing. I don't think Dimel puts much priority on that.
No clue. I just remember meeting with Senter one-on-one about Terry and he straight up told me that grades were more important. 4 weeks later it was announced Terry's extension. We haven't been to ANY games in ANY sport since .

He will be be thrown off a bit Friday at the Northeast city meeting when he sees me. Any bets I get cut off or totally ignored with my questions? :)

This is when Dimel should actually feel like the HVAC is not working as Darren peppers as to why UTEP is underperforming, again, to start year six.

This is not only a game UTEP should have won, but easily left victorious.
It should be, but won't be. The local media doesn't want to step on toes and the University/alumni doesn't care about athletics.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Jacksonville has a bad bad offense, i will betting their unders the rest of the year. Weak WRs and their QB is super inaccurate. If they were any good they would’ve put 30 on the board against Dimel.
Yep completely agree, which is why I wasn't impressed with the defense. Not as impressed as some of the people on MinerTalk, that's for sure. JSU was pushing around our supposedly strong defensive front.

Yep completely agree, which is why I wasn't impressed with the defense. Not as impressed as some of the people on MinerTalk, that's for sure. JSU was pushing around our supposedly strong defensive front around.
Rich Rod shouldn’t have stopped running between the tackles, they were getting 4-6 yards per pop. I agree on the defense, Tyrice Knight also had a rough game and was over pursuing all evening even though he led the team in tackles, total tackle numbers are deceiving if your name isn’t Alvin Jones.

No clue. I just remember meeting with Senter one-on-one about Terry and he straight up told me that grades were more important. 4 weeks later it was announced Terry's extension. We haven't been to ANY games in ANY sport since .

He will be be thrown off a bit Friday at the Northeast city meeting when he sees me. Any bets I get cut off or totally ignored with my questions? :)
They use academics when it is convenient, it is all sleight of hand. The NCAA suspended program penalties due to low APRs because of Covid, so right now, low scores have little impact (loss of scholarships). UTEP is not at a point where they would lose scholarships even if penalties were reinstated, but they are definitely not killing it either.

The reality for UTEP is that by prioritizing JCs for football, there is an increased likelihood for lower APRs. This approach definitely doesn't line up with UTEP's so called emphasis on academics. It is just another way to redirect from losing on the field.

Yep completely agree, which is why I wasn't impressed with the defense. Not as impressed as some of the people on MinerTalk, that's for sure. JSU was pushing around our supposedly strong defensive front.
Both of JSU's touchdowns came on drives that were extended by stupid penalties. Their one FG came off a shortened field following a turnover (forcing a long FG was actually a good stand by the D). JSU was held under 300 yards for the entire game. They did a pretty good job shutting down a Rich Rod offense.

The offense just didn't score enough points. There were too many drops and turnovers. And yet I think UTEP would have scored a touchdown at the end if Dimel had just run the damned ball to pick up one yard.

-Yes, the media will use softball pitches for Dimel. DH would throw fast balls at UTEP coaches and I will admit, did go a bit too far at times. He's needed now to counter Senter. Senter has been hogging the mic for two years now with boiler plate answers, Wilson is in the stands with the fans, which is great, but she needs to treat this like she would an Air Force budget meeting to discuss the newest fighter jets, the upmost seriousness.

-Dimel would be making good money anywhere after Kansas State. He knew his goose was cooked and was watching the UTEP HC position from Manhattan Kansas (His words when he landed the job), even after they played UTEP. He'd been in the industry to long not to know Kugler was a goner. He still wanted to coach and Snyder gladly put in the call. However, Dimel was not fully set as a highly sought after assistant wanted the UTEP position and I specifically heard Senter state on local public radio he wanted to much money. Senter has kind of walked back the hiring process and now sticks to the "Power Point Dimel presentation" that claims to have been better than all those interviewed. Why does he walk it back? Perhaps UTEP could've have gotten the money or hammered out a deal. We will never know? It's week one and Dimel needs to step down.

-JSU displayed good speed. They also knew what was coming at them. They dared Hardison to throw and they came out with the win. Hardison needs benched.

Last edited:
-JSU displayed good speed. They also knew what was coming at them. They dared Hardison to throw and they came out with the win. Hardison needs benched.
We need the receivers to catch the ball when Hardison throws a touchdown pass in the breadbasket.

Both of JSU's touchdowns came on drives that were extended by stupid penalties. Their one FG came off a shortened field following a turnover (forcing a long FG was actually a good stand by the D). JSU was held under 300 yards for the entire game. They did a pretty good job shutting down a Rich Rod offense.

The offense just didn't score enough points. There were too many drops and turnovers. And yet I think UTEP would have scored a touchdown at the end if Dimel had just run the damned ball to pick up one yard.
JSU's offense lacked talent and it was pretty apparent. Thus, holding them under 300 yards isn't that impressive. However I can agree that they improved as the game went on (they are the best coached unit of the three).

They use academics when it is convenient, it is all sleight of hand. The NCAA suspended program penalties due to low APRs because of Covid, so right now, low scores have little impact (loss of scholarships). UTEP is not at a point where they would lose scholarships even if penalties were reinstated, but they are definitely not killing it either.

The reality for UTEP is that by prioritizing JCs for football, there is an increased likelihood for lower APRs. This approach definitely doesn't line up with UTEP's so called emphasis on academics. It is just another way to redirect from losing on the field.
Yep. Just ask any football player why they came to UTEP (or any school for that matter). 95% of the answers will NOT be because of academics.

Yep. Just ask any football player why they came to UTEP (or any school for that matter). 95% of the answers will NOT be because of academics.
Yeah it is definitely not academics as utep has a 100% acceptance rate. Now, nothing wrong with having the mission they have. But a good example is the Depaul kid utep just nabbed in basketball over the summer: he has awful academics.

Yeah it is definitely not academics as utep has a 100% acceptance rate. Now, nothing wrong with having the mission they have. But a good example is the Depaul kid utep just nabbed in basketball over the summer: he has awful academics.
The 7ft dude? Well that figures with Goldings recruiting capabilities. I doubt we ever see him play here.

But yes I agree with the athletes' mission. It's just our admin that has no clue regarding athletics..

Last edited:

Very well said.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. They didn't look like anything special offensively and their secondary is probably a C- They do 0lay quick and have a mobile experienced QB, but they look like a 3 or 4 win team and we got beat in a conference game we had no business losing.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05

I agree pick up the 1st and keep driving with plenty of time and timeouts and a gassed Jacksonville St. squad and get out of there with a 21-17 ugly victory. Dimel hand gifted them with a win and yet again took the wind out of Miner fans sails and not sure he can get it back this year!

The presser was stupid. Dimel's explanation for the last 2 plays is that he gave Hardison the green light to throw. My take aways from this:

1. Dimel still didn't take the blame and put it on Hardison

2. Tell your QB that we are running the ball twice here. No audibles.

I can't stand Dimel. I just really can't stand him. His gee golly wiz demeanor has gotten old and is annoying at this point.

I emailed Senter, and told him what an embarrassment that was to our university. Asked him to step up or step out.
His Response : Thanks for sharing.
Boy he really cares what fans are feeling!!!
Fire them both.
I'm actually impressed that he responded.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
After today's Presser and Dimel saying the team grew from the loss and he still feels good about the maturity of this team and how the year will go, we should all feel better and know that things are going to be A- Ok 👍 😅😅😅 lol I'm being Fasciitis of course SMH 😏

This guy’s demeanor is something else. Is it good that he doesn’t get mad? Maybe. I don’t know. I’m not defending him because when you looked at Kugler he always looked mad as hell and it didn’t change a thing. I’ll give the guy props though because if you look at Urban Meyer he was driving himself to an early grave blowing a gasket every week.

Last edited:
Doesn’t have to throw a s—t fit, just show that he doesn’t find losing acceptable.
I am not counting on it. UTEP spent money to create bowl game rings for losing a freaking bowl game. UTEP's athletics culture is all about participation trophies and going out there to have fun. It is just a matter of time before Wilson starts making the coaches play all of the players on the team equal minutes like 4 year old T-ball team.

Doesn’t have to throw a s—t fit, just show that he doesn’t find losing acceptable.
I agree 100% when someone compared his demeanor to that of a T-Ball coach. He says everything but “Hey, we had fun right?”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT