ADVERTISEMENT

Not a big fan but....

PURPLEFIRE

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2003
calapari at Kentucky put out a suggestion for the sec that I really like I was curious what you guys thought about it

Basically it says to move the conference tournament to November and open up your season that way and make it to where every team is promised at least 3 games and then have the regular season winner be the automatic bid into the tournament!! To me that makes a lot of sense I have always hated the idea of the tournament winner going and the regular season champ at times being left out I think that's ridiculous!! I think this is a fantastic idea what does everyone else think?

I hate conference tournaments for one bid leagues like cusa. It makes the regular season irrelevant. The automatic bid should go to the regular season champion. For leagues like cusa I wouldnt play a tournament at all. A preseason tourney for a league with no exposure like cusa would make no sense.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Would the pre season tournament count towards the conference standings? Let's say a team or teams go 0-3. Now they're looking at playing catchup all season as opposed to the teams that go 3-0.

We would be eliminated by mid-February. Attendance would decline even more. I think it's better to be playing meaningful late season games for seeding and to try and get into the tournament.

If Conference tournaments were eliminated or played to start the year, then majority of teams in college basketball would have nothing to play for in February and March. Meaningless match ups are terrible for sports.

Add to that (or should I say, subtract from that) a loss of an amount of revenue: tv, concessions (jobs), swag. As meager as it is.

I hate conference tournaments for one bid leagues like cusa. It makes the regular season irrelevant. The automatic bid should go to the regular season champion. For leagues like cusa I wouldnt play a tournament at all. A preseason tourney for a league with no exposure like cusa would make no sense.

I agree to a point. Current format is as fair to all D1 as you can possibly have it. MTSU (or UAB 2 years ago) wouldn't make it under his format. Under the current format CUSA teams beat Iowa State and Michigan State in the tourney.

IMO, I am wondering if he is basing it on earlier (holiday tourney) schedules? The format appears fair as possible. He has every right to express his opinion and ideas, but this format is more than fair to the UTEP's, Monmouth and Iona's. It is a college coaches job to acclimate players performance to a more demanding schedule, which I think he's going at this too.

We would be eliminated by mid-February. Attendance would decline even more. I think it's better to be playing meaningful late season games for seeding and to try and get into the tournament.

If Conference tournaments were eliminated or played to start the year, then majority of teams in college basketball would have nothing to play for in February and March. Meaningless match ups are terrible for sports.

I see the logic in Minerforlife's post, but you present a couple good points as well. Hmmm...

NCAA allowed for two more mid majors to "play in". What more do you want? Then why not allow exhibition games against d2 or d3 to count because there are upsets (and payouts)? Please people, this is Calipari who introduced this. I would not compare him to Trump, but the current format is fair!

If you're in the SEC, I can see why a post-season tournament is not something you enjoy. When you have 6 teams that are locks and 3 more on the bubble, the post season tournament can only screw with your potential seed. You know you're not going to drop too far though. And going through 3 games in four days is not ideal if you're already a lock.

Reactions: CubsFan81
I am not completely sold on moving the conference tournament part I just like the idea that the regular season conference winner should get the invite!! You do all this work all season finish number one and then have one bad game in the tournament and you are out?? Just doesn't make any sense to me! What's the point of the regular season? If anything keep the conference tournament how it is and let the regular season champ go and let teams use the conference tournament to improve their record and rpi if they are bubble teams or if they are out to get ready for next year

Reactions: mikesarabia
The point of the regular season is two fold, first to rack up wins and get in the discussion for post season play, second, to get seeding in the conference tournament.

What is the point of the NFL regular season. To position your self for the playoffs and to get a high seed to get home field advantage.

Point of the NBA season...to get a high seed to increase your chances of getting to the finals.

The point of any sports regular season is to get a high seed in the post season tournament.

Unless you're talking about European Soccer, not too many leagues have a situation in which the regular season champion is named the champion. If there is a post season in a sport, then the regular season has but one purpose. Post season seeding.

Yes but IN the NFL if you win your division you are IN! Same with the nba if you win your division you are IN
Utes can win its division and not make the college version of the playoffs does not make sense.... Why worry about a regular season title when you can just get hot and win the tournament ?

Reactions: Minerforlife
True, but there aren't enough teams to hold divisional playoffs or they would. Big difference is everyone in college basketball plays a post season tournament.

If the NFL and NBA would do the same they would avoid meaningless week 16 and 17 games. I think it was the Sacremento Kings who had a hard time finding 5 guys to start in their season finale. Fantasy Football isn't even played week 17. Teams are losing games on purpose for the draft in the NBA.

That's why the NFL, MLB, and NBA have expanded the number of playoff teams and playoff games. It's why there are more bowl games and why there are more teams in the NCAA tournament. Meaningless games are bad for sports.

Over 250 teams would be playing meaningless basketball the last 4 weeks of the season if conference post seasons are done away with in college basketball.

Well I have always been in favor of expanding the tournament to the 90's I really believe we should do that and make everyone happy and go with the whole of you have a losing conference record you are ineligible..... To keep the power teams from sending everyone....

Expanding the tournament into the 90s would be a good idea. Especially if the regular season winners are guaranteed an auto bid. Some of the smaller conferences might be able to constantly send two teams. The regular season champion and the conference tournament champion.

Keep it at 64. A spot in the NCAA Tourney should be earned not given. 90 plus teams would water down the NCAA Tourney.

Tournament is good where it is. There arent enough quality programs to expand. The only programs who really had a gripe this year being left out were Monmouth, St Mary's and San Diego State.

If the NIT were smart, they're not, but lets say they were, they would conduct their tournament like an open cup format. Instead of having to qualify for it, they could invite all schools at all levels of colleges to participate for a nominal fee. Rank all entries from 1 to ad infenitum, and have elimination rounds throughout the year Starting in November, single elimination, matchups based on ranking. Eventually you could have a final 4 or just play it out until there is a champion based on a home and home series cumulative score if you want to make it interesting. Right now the NIT mean nothing. Kaplowitz is #deadassright.

If this sounds like the qualifying rounds that lead up to the actual participants of the FIFA World Cup...if this so, I'm kinda liking the thought.

Expanding would water it down?? 96 out of 350 or so teams that's like one third.... In football it's something like 1/2 almost of the teams go bowling and I don't hear any miner fans mad when they went to shitty bowl games.....

Expanding would water it down?? 96 out of 350 or so teams that's like one third.... In football it's something like 1/2 almost of the teams go bowling and I don't hear any miner fans mad when they went to shitty bowl games.....

Thats two different things purplefire. In fbs football every school's main focus is football. Football is the cash cow. In basketball thats not the case. For example in conference USA half the schools prioritize baseball over basketball. Some only half way try to be competitive.

If the football team could schedule four fcs games for non conference games like basketball does we would go bowling every year. Got to earn the six wins in football.

More than half the d1 basketball schools have no chance much less any allusions of making the tournament. Basketball now is more scewed to the power conferences than football. With a few notable exceptions the divide between the power seven conferences and everyone else is huge and getting wider every year.

Last edited:
So you don't think having 96 and not allowing teams in with losing conference records would bring in a few more mid majors?

So you don't think having 96 and not allowing teams in with losing conference records would bring in a few more mid majors?

No. It would ensure that most the power teams got in. It would in all likely hood further limit access for mid and low majors. The reason they dont expand the tournament is the tv networks dont want it. They like the tournament as is on three consecutive weekends. They like the brackets, having Cinderellas the first weekend and the primarily big name schools the last two weekends. People dont pay attention to college basketball until February. People dont watch mid and low major games at all. Thats why the tournament wont expand it would screw up the brackets and there is no public appetite or tv money for it. If there was tv money and cable networks willing to pay for an expanded tournament it would have been expanded yesterday.

The biggest problem with d1 hoops are there are too many teams. 32 conferences 327 teams is too many.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT