ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP šŸ˜œ

Mikey Ambrose is with Atlanta FC.... I think we're at about 5 players that we know about so far from El Paso that are currently playing in MLS or better. Lots of dudes are playing USL. UTEP kinda missed out on not having a soccer program

Reactions: JCorona
Mikey Ambrose is with Atlanta FC.... I think we're at about 5 players that we know about so far from El Paso that are currently playing in MLS or better. Lots of dudes are playing USL. UTEP kinda missed out on not having a soccer program
Another product of Dallas FC academy. I guess we're up to four now.

Another product of Dallas FC academy. I guess we're up to four now.
That is just one single MLS team in the last 6 years. We're at the tip of the iceberg. This doesn't include El Pasoans playing in Mexico, other teams in MLS, USL or NCAA. Lots of the parents in my son's age group moved to LA, Chicago, Dallas and Houston so that their kids would play at the pro level. This s*** is crazy, but these coaches know that the talent is in the EPT. El Paso is stacked when it comes to soccer

Naw it's at least 3 that have gone from the El Paso satellite academy to Dallas FC.

I don't know why you're trying to downplay it. There's a good amount of players from Juarez/El Paso and even LC getting paid to play soccer.
ā€œGood amountā€? As compared to what? El Paso is 23rd largest city in the US. El Paso isnā€™t Alamogordo or Las Cruces. I am not downplaying it, itā€™s not that many and none of these guys are doing anything for the city.

That is just one single MLS team in the last 6 years. We're at the tip of the iceberg. This doesn't include El Pasoans playing in Mexico, other teams in MLS, USL or NCAA. Lots of the parents in my son's age group moved to LA, Chicago, Dallas and Houston so that their kids would play at the pro level. This s*** is crazy, but these coaches know that the talent is in the EPT. El Paso is stacked when it comes to soccer
Which El Pasoans are playing in Mexico, MLS, USL, or NCAA? Please list them, so I can see the plethora of El Pasoans playing ā€œhigh levelā€ soccer.

El Paso is ā€œstackedā€ with soccer talent, but only has a handful of players playing.

Pepi - probably headed towards a really solid career
Zendejas - see above, older though
Ambrose - career journeyman
Guillen - mostly USL career, yippee!
Munoz - see Pepi
Barraza - backup at NYCFC

Canā€™t even field a full team of ā€œEl Pasoansā€ playing at a ā€œhigh levelā€. 800,000 people here and thereā€™s 6 players.

Canā€™t wait to see your robust list

I played against some local players that played in the MLS and that was just in my age group, alone. I also played and trained with players who played in Mexico's first division. I don't know if you just hate soccer or just want to dog everything about El Paso, but whatever it is, it comes off petty.... LIKE I SAID, YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?
OMG, wow, congrats! Obviously not good enough to play for a career, but chase those dreams man! Keep us posted about all the 12 year olds!

I love soccer and do know what I am talking about. I donā€™t ā€œdog everything El Pasoā€, maybe it seems like that to you. I just have common sense and I am not a cheerleader. Thatā€™s great we have these players, but the majority of the city doesnā€™t know about them. Does KROD bring them up? Do they show Necaxa highlights on KTSM? Iā€™ve seen Pepi highlights on KTSM, but I couldnā€™t tell you if the others have been mentioned.

OMG, wow, congrats! Obviously not good enough to play for a career, but chase those dreams man! Keep us posted about all the 12 year olds!

I love soccer and do know what I am talking about. I donā€™t ā€œdog everything El Pasoā€, maybe it seems like that to you. I just have common sense and I am not a cheerleader. Thatā€™s great we have these players, but the majority of the city doesnā€™t know about them. Does KROD bring them up? Do they show Necaxa highlights on KTSM? Iā€™ve seen Pepi highlights on KTSM, but I couldnā€™t tell you if the others have been mentioned.
No you don't

ā€œGood amountā€? As compared to what? El Paso is 23rd largest city in the US. El Paso isnā€™t Alamogordo or Las Cruces. I am not downplaying it, itā€™s not that many and none of these guys are doing anything for the city.
That's more than Austin and San Antonio has. Probably as many if not more than Dallas and Houston. Im not sure. Haven't really watched MLS until this season. Prove me wrong though.

I don't really care that they don't rep the city or do toy drives. All I care about is that their families are from here.

I would say that it seems like more El Pasoans make it to a professional level in soccer than any other sport. The Locomotive are branching out their academy system to an U-13 team. Obviously itā€™s never going to become La Masia but it will benefit these kids playing in the same system, with the same kids and at the same position for several years.

Which El Pasoans are playing in Mexico, MLS, USL, or NCAA? Please list them, so I can see the plethora of El Pasoans playing ā€œhigh levelā€ soccer.

El Paso is ā€œstackedā€ with soccer talent, but only has a handful of players playing.

Munoz - see Pepi

Canā€™t even field a full team of ā€œEl Pasoansā€ playing at a ā€œhigh levelā€. 800,000 people here and thereā€™s 6 players.

Chapa Herrera
Salgado

or do they all have to be MLS or Liga MX?

Munoz - see Pepi

There's also a pair of young GK that have spent time in Liga MX.

Marco Canales with Bravos
Hector Holguin with Santos but now in Ascenso.

You're right man. El Paso has produced so many professional athletes that this current batch of professionals is underperfoming. They really need to step up to catch up to all the professional basketball and football players we've produced.

Chapa Herrera
Salgado

or do they all have to be MLS or Liga MX?
Salgado is done. Heā€™s not signed with anyone. Chapa counts. You shouldnā€™t have any problem finding other pro players with El Paso ties. You supposedly know the system and have vast soccer knowledge. Shouldnā€™t be this hard.

Reactions: kickballpro
That's more than Austin and San Antonio has. Probably as many if not more than Dallas and Houston. Im not sure. Haven't really watched MLS until this season. Prove me wrong though.

I don't really care that they don't rep the city or do toy drives. All I care about is that their families are from here.
Dallas and Houston have by far more pro players than El Paso.

What does it matter if their families are from here? How would you even know if theyā€™re ā€œfrom hereā€? How long did Pepiā€™s family live in San Elizario? When did Mikey Ambroseā€™s relatives move here and start calling themselves El Pasoans?

You're right man. El Paso has produced so many professional athletes that this current batch of professionals is underperfoming. They really need to step up to catch up to all the professional basketball and football players we've produced.
All I am saying is that, thereā€™s not that many, theyā€™re spaced out in age, and they donā€™t have community ties.

How many ā€œprofessionalā€ football and basketball leagues are there? A lot, lot less than soccer. Thereā€™s thousands upon thousands of soccer teams. Way to compare them to the 50 or so NFL and CFL teams. El Paso doesnā€™t make a lot of NFL players because itā€™s extremely difficult to make the NFL and NBA. If you have any ounce of soccer talent, you could hang on with a team, somewhere.

All I am saying is that, thereā€™s not that many, theyā€™re spaced out in age, and they donā€™t have community ties.

How many ā€œprofessionalā€ football and basketball leagues are there? A lot, lot less than soccer. Thereā€™s thousands upon thousands of soccer teams. Way to compare them to the 50 or so NFL and CFL teams. El Paso doesnā€™t make a lot of NFL players because itā€™s extremely difficult to make the NFL and NBA. If you have any ounce of soccer talent, you could hang on with a team, somewhere.
All we're saying is that it is a lot for our community. All of them are under 27. No community ties. Wtf you mean. You think their cousins and tios and abuelas all moved with them?

There is less professional leagues for basketball and football but we're focused on only two professional soccer leagues. How many EP kids are currently playing pro basketball in Mexico or Europe or some other lower level league.

How many El Paso kids with no military ties make it to an FBS college or D1 basketball team?

Dallas and Houston have by far more pro players than El Paso.

What does it matter if their families are from here? How would you even know if theyā€™re ā€œfrom hereā€? How long did Pepiā€™s family live in San Elizario? When did Mikey Ambroseā€™s relatives move here and start calling themselves El Pasoans?
List them. Let's see all the pro soccer players from H and D town.

Lol you're reaching bro. They're from here as in their parents are from here.
I'll do research on Pepi. I'm almost sure his parents lived here before Pepi was born and probably still do.

Same for Mikey. He went to elementary and middle school in EP. Played for the El Paso Fire youth academy.

Do you seriously think all these players parents moved to EP for their prestigious youth academies?

All we're saying is that it is a lot for our community. All of them are under 27. No community ties. Wtf you mean. You think their cousins and tios and abuelas all moved with them?

There is less professional leagues for basketball and football but we're focused on only two professional soccer leagues. How many EP kids are currently playing pro basketball in Mexico or Europe or some other lower level league.

How many El Paso kids with no military ties make it to an FBS college or D1 basketball team?
Crap there goes are chances of sending a team to represent El Paso in the Olympics. Nowins crazy, he wants to field an entire professional team with u-23 players and that lived in El Paso till they were of drinking age

Crap there goes are chances of sending a team to represent El Paso in the Olympics. Nowins crazy, he wants to field an entire professional team with u-23 players and that lived in El Paso till they were of drinking age
Still waiting for all the El Paso players playing pro soccer around the world. You mentioned NCAA too. List all the great EP players playing college ball.

List them. Let's see all the pro soccer players from H and D town.

Lol you're reaching bro. They're from here as in their parents are from here.
I'll do research on Pepi. I'm almost sure his parents lived here before Pepi was born and probably still do.

Same for Mikey. He went to elementary and middle school in EP. Played for the El Paso Fire youth academy.

Do you seriously think all these players parents moved to EP for their prestigious youth academies?
I will do Dallas. Please list me what you consider as ā€œDallasā€ and which suburbs you donā€™t count as ā€œDallasā€. Keep in mind Pepi is from San Eli, so if youā€™re going to be technical, I will too.

I will do Dallas. Please list me what you consider as ā€œDallasā€ and which suburbs you donā€™t count as ā€œDallasā€. Keep in mind Pepi is from San Eli, so if youā€™re going to be technical, I will too.
Do the entire metro. By the same token that drops EP to #67.

I would say that it seems like more El Pasoans make it to a professional level in soccer than any other sport. The Locomotive are branching out their academy system to an U-13 team. Obviously itā€™s never going to become La Masia but it will benefit these kids playing in the same system, with the same kids and at the same position for several years.
I think that in the next decade we're going to see a surge of EP players make the Locomotive first team and hopefully from there discovered by MLS/MX.

Do the entire metro. By the same token that drops EP to #67.
Weston McKennie
Bryan Reynolds
Paxton Pomykal
Justin Che
Reggie Cannon
Jesus Ferriera
Nicky Hernandez
Jonathan Gomez
Lee Nguyen
Anthony Ampaipitakwong
Kellyn Acosta
Conor Doyle

I stopped there. All still playing

Weston McKennie
Bryan Reynolds
Paxton Pomykal
Justin Che
Reggie Cannon
Jesus Ferriera
Nicky Hernandez
Jonathan Gomez
Lee Nguyen
Anthony Ampaipitakwong
Kellyn Acosta
Conor Doyle

So a metro area of almost 8 million only has 4 more players than the one of 860k. Yeah I think we have a good representation for our area.

Throw in the Juarez players and not only do we have around the same amount we do it with 5 million people less. And that's not even taking into account the wealth disparity.

So a metro area of almost 8 million only has 4 more players than the one of 860k. Yeah I think we have a good representation for our area.
I said I stopped there. And most of those guys are playing at a high level and arenā€™t scrubs like Ambrose, Chapa, and Salgado (not active)

I didnā€™t even count the Funes Mori bros who spent time with FC Dallas as well.

Apples to oranges. Population of 6.5 mil if using the DFW metroplex compared to under a mil for EP county.

Apples to oranges. Population of 6.5 mil if using the DFW metroplex compared to under a mil for EP county.
If you go back, I said Dallas and Houston had way more pro players than EP. Corona wanted me to list them, so I didā€¦.

Still waiting on Randaddys comprehensive list on NCAA players from El Paso. Heā€™s in the business and knows the game, you know. Knows all the hottest 12 year olds in the game here.

If you go back, I said Dallas and Houston had way more pro players than EP. Corona wanted me to list them, so I didā€¦.

Still waiting on Randaddys comprehensive list on NCAA players from El Paso. Heā€™s in the business and knows the game, you know. Knows all the hottest 12 year olds in the game here.
Iā€™m aware. Iā€™m just pointing out thatā€™s not a good comparison. Per capita, EP seems at least equal, if not ahead. Canā€™t ask for more than that.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Iā€™m aware. Iā€™m just pointing out thatā€™s not a good comparison. Per capita, EP seems at least equal, if not ahead. Canā€™t ask for more than that.
Thatā€™s fair. Again, just saying EP isnā€™t some soccer Mecca because thereā€™s 3 guys playing in MLS and LigaMX right now. El Paso isnā€™t Pecos or Ruston, LA, El Paso is a big city.

Thatā€™s fair. Again, just saying EP isnā€™t some soccer Mecca because thereā€™s 3 guys playing in MLS and LigaMX right now. El Paso isnā€™t Pecos or Ruston, LA, El Paso is a big city.
EP is always handicapped. Don't count Juarez as part of the boderplex even though EP is closer to Juarez than Frisco is to Dallas. The El Paso Juarez area has a good amount of active players in MLS/Liga MX. They're up there with any of the top metros.

I will give Dallas credit for exporting talent to Europe. I would like to see Pepi and Munoz make that type of move.

Can you name a state high school all star game that pitted one city vs the rest of the state? I can. Wanna guess what city that was? what sport it was? I believe the game ended 9-0.

Can you name a state high school all star game that pitted one city vs the rest of the state? I can. Wanna guess what city that was? what sport it was? I believe the game ended 9-0.
Deflect deflect deflect. Whereā€™s your list? Now youā€™re bringing up high school all star games?

Last edited:
Weston McKennie
Bryan Reynolds
Paxton Pomykal
Justin Che
Reggie Cannon
Jesus Ferriera
Nicky Hernandez
Jonathan Gomez
Lee Nguyen
Anthony Ampaipitakwong
Kellyn Acosta
Conor Doyle

LOL... I just fact checked only the last player on your list (only player I have checked, and I assume most will be the same).... That's the only one I have checked. He's Irish, played with the Dallas Texans club team. You know so much about soccer? You know the Dallas Texans were flying in players from around Texas to play for their team.... Hell, they flew in players from El Paso to play for them.... First player that comes to mind is Mike Griego

EP is always handicapped. Don't count Juarez as part of the boderplex even though EP is closer to Juarez than Frisco is to Dallas. The El Paso Juarez area has a good amount of active players in MLS/Liga MX. They're up there with any of the top metros.

I will give Dallas credit for exporting talent to Europe. I would like to see Pepi and Munoz make that type of move.
That has logic behind it, but itā€™s different. Juarez is an entirely different country, with a different language, currency, etc. Dallas subburbs are within the same state, etc. Dallas people with money live in Frisco. El Paso people with money donā€™t live in Juarez.

Who are all these Juarez players? Are any national team players ā€œfromā€ Juarez?

LOL... I just fact checked only the last player on your list (only player I have checked, and I assume most will be the same).... That's the only one I have checked. He's Irish, played with the Dallas Texans club team. You know so much about soccer? You know the Dallas Texans were flying in players from around Texas to play for their team.... Hell, they flew in players from El Paso to play for them.... First player that comes to mind is Mike Griego
Conor Doyle was born in McKinney dumbass.

Dallas Texans was a big club, but most of their players weren't from Dallas. They started flying in players from other places because they couldn't beat El Paso.... And you say you know soccer.... The Texans are responsible for the snickers cup, which may be called the milk cup now

Dallas Texans was a big club, but most of their players weren't from Dallas. They started flying in players from other places because they couldn't beat El Paso.... And you say you know soccer.... The Texans are responsible for the snickers cup, which may be called the milk cup now
He was born in McKinney. Dallas Texans have nothing to do with it. Show me where he lived in Ireland and not Dallas.

Yeah, I admittedly donā€™t follow little boys soccer games. Nor, do I care.

That has logic behind it, but itā€™s different. Juarez is an entirely different country, with a different language, currency, etc. Dallas subburbs are within the same state, etc. Dallas people with money live in Frisco. El Paso people with money donā€™t live in Juarez.

Who are all these Juarez players? Are any national team players ā€œfromā€ Juarez
I get that but take away all the suburbs of Dallas away and they have maybe one active professional player from actual Dallas.

Juarez born active players.
Montez at Leon
Vargas plays with Mazatlan
Sanchez for San Luis
Ulloa plays with Miami
Nevarez with Bravos

Panuco is with Bravos but hasn't played yet.

A few more in Ascenso/USL and U20 teams.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT