ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football is back

All Dimel had to do in his third year is beat two FBS teams. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It sucks that we’re never ready. So much wasted time and opportunities through the decades.

Reactions: axingfools1

All Dimel had to do in his third year is beat two FBS teams. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It sucks that we’re never ready. So much wasted time and opportunities through the decades.
Now that is so true. I realize many on here are frustrated with Senter but he knew Dimel let the softball fall off the tee instead of just hitting a grounder to get to a low tier bowl. Canales & Cox paid the price.

Reactions: Rocketsr
The college football playoff rankings are like political elections in Mexico. Everybody knows its corrupt, but nobody can do anything about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Sun Belt should have done everything in its power to host the conference championship game. A second win over a top 20 UL could have been enough to propel Coastal into the playoffs.

Year 2000-01 [NCAA FBS P5 schools to mid majors]: "Show me the money" mid majors if you want a piece of the (financial) pie!

Year 2000-01:

[Coastal Carolina]Non existent FBS program
[Cincy Bearcats] Lost to Marshall & Toledo in back to back bowl games in lower tier bowls
[UCF] FBS Independent.

National Champions since 1938 [staring down mid major upstarts the last twenty years]

SchoolChampionshipsSeasons
Alabama121961, 1964, 1965 (AP), 1973 (Coaches), 1978 (AP), 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017
Notre Dame81943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973 (AP), 1977, 1988
Oklahoma71950, 1955, 1956, 1974 (AP), 1975, 1985, 2000
USC71962, 1967, 1972, 1974 (Coaches), 1978 (Coaches), 2003 (AP), 2004 (AP)†
Ohio State61942, 1954 (AP), 1957 (Coaches), 1968, 2002, 2014
Miami (FL)51983, 1987, 1989, 1991 (AP), 2001
Nebraska51970 (AP), 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997 (Coaches)
LSU41958, 2003 (Coaches), 2007, 2019
Texas41963, 1969, 1970 (Coaches), 2005
Minnesota41936, 1940, 1941, 1960
Florida31996, 2006, 2008
Florida State31993, 1999, 2013
Clemson31981, 2016, 2018
Army21944, 1945 (AP)
Auburn21957 (AP), 2010
Michigan21948, 1997 (AP)
Michigan State21952, 1965 (Coaches)
Penn State21982, 1986
Pittsburgh21937, 1976
Tennessee21951, 1998
BYU11984
Colorado11990 (AP)
Georgia11980
Georgia Tech11990 (Coaches)
Maryland11953
Oklahoma State11945 (Coaches)‡
Syracuse11959
TCU11938
Texas A&M11939
UCLA11954 (Coaches)
Washington11991 (Coaches)

I hadn’t even noticed but our conference champion is playing a 2 win team in their bowl game. 😂 💀

Reactions: kickballpro
Ummmmm.....What part of FBS being a money making operation cash cow for athletic programs do the sports folks do not get? Not inviting Army is in no way disrespectful.

Army doesn't have to disclose it's athletic budget; everyone else in FBS does. If you ask, they say "f off". Army gets a nationally televised game even if the win column is a big goose egg. Army told CUSA "bye, bye" because they got wind of UTEP coming into the conference.

They didn't get a bowl invite, but they will survive just fine. I don't care for UNT or Miss State but Covid19 ravaged budgets that depend on revenue from ticket sales, TV, conference affiliation, and other derived or residual income, some may even call it passive income for some of the P5 schools. But Army, it's all good.

I love my country, appreciate the sacrifice of military personnel but I'm not hurtin' for Army on this one.

UTEP had nothing to do with Army’s decision to leave CUSA. They left over a year before we received an invitation. It came down to us and LT for the final spot. Army was gone long before that. When Army left we had just completed a 2-11 season. No one in their wild dreams was thinking of adding UTEP anywhere.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Mack Brown said the G5 schools need to play their own playoff and National Championship. But not sure how a meaningless title game moves the needle. Its like winning the CIT in basketball.

Every single team in CFB should have a path to the title. Just like basketball.

The G5 schools need to be represented in the College Football Playoff. Even if its a G5 play in game

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Mack Brown said the G5 schools need to play their own playoff and National Championship. But not sure how a meaningless title game moves the needle. Its like winning the CIT in basketball.

Every single team in CFB should have a path to the title. Just like basketball.

The G5 schools need to be represented in the College Football Playoff. Even if its a G5 play in game

UTEP had nothing to do with Army’s decision to leave CUSA. They left over a year before we received an invitation. It came down to us and LT for the final spot. Army was gone long before that. When Army left we had just completed a 2-11 season. No one in their wild dreams was thinking of adding UTEP anywhere.
CUSA was courting UTEP & LT. UTEP was on a full court press and after Price hire Price did what Price does well: sell, sell, sell. Army didn't want a revamped conference that was under review and it was their business decision that actually turned just fine for them.

We include all the relative history, not just record. If you look at just the record and knee jerk the answer with "aw hell, no one wants UTEP!", UTEP wouldn't survive and no way in hell a sniff by CUSA back then.

Poo-poo'ing on UTEP has become an El Paso tradition

CUSA was courting UTEP & LT. UTEP was on a full court press and after Price hire Price did what Price does well: sell, sell, sell. Army didn't want a revamped conference that was under review and it was their business decision that actually turned just fine for them.

We include all the relative history, not just record. If you look at just the record and knee jerk the answer with "aw hell, no one wants UTEP!", UTEP wouldn't survive and no way in hell a sniff by CUSA back then.

Poo-poo'ing on UTEP has become an El Paso tradition

We accepted the CUSA invite before Price was hired. Price had nothing with CUSA. Army left CUSA to give themselves more flexibility in scheduling. They recruit nationally and wanted visibility Nation wide.

It's being reported by several outlets that Louisiana coach Billy Napier has turned down the Auburn job. That's huge for Louisiana and the Sun Belt.

We accepted the CUSA invite before Price was hired. Price had nothing with CUSA. Army left CUSA to give themselves more flexibility in scheduling. They recruit nationally and wanted visibility Nation wide.
I don't have time to look up all the supporting articles, so I'm dropping it but you're incorrect. Price gave CUSA reps tours of the new Durham facility and Stull led upgrades for Pete's sake.

'05-'06 who was the HC? Army goes independent in response to revamp.
UTEP part of CUSA revamp

Your timing is off. Price coached UTEP during our last year in the wac. Price and the unbelievable one year turnaround combined with our 27 win basketball team had everything to do with our move to cusa.

Your timing is off. Price coached UTEP during our last year in the wac. Price and the unbelievable one year turnaround combined with our 27 win basketball team had everything to do with our move to cusa.
Plus the fact that UTEP was a rare non power school that could draw 40k for fb and 10k for mbb when the teams were good. UTEP had proven that potential, it wasn't just talk.

We accepted the invitation in April 2004. We played a lame duck season in the WAC. Stull had got an informal invitation in Nov 2003. Stull had worked on this for a year and a half.

Reactions: JCorona
Maybe my timing is off. I looked at the dates and it seems CUSA did invite us before MP’s first season. We had already hired him but he hadn’t coached yet. Our b-ball was good but they really took a gamble on football.

Our inclusion into CUSA really had nothing to do with sports. It's the only time in UTEP history El Paso was used as positive in negotiations.

A little back story about the move to CUSA. When John Callipari was hired at Memphis in a national interview he said what he like about CUSA was " The schools are all located in Metro markets. I've never have to stay in a shoebox on road trips or subsist off McDonalds". When the big east poached CUSA Stull didn't forget that quote. La Tech was a better cultural fit. In the end Stull made the expansion decision a referendum about the lack of infrastructure in Ruston. Stulls kill shot was the lack of an airport in Ruston. He had detailed charts showing the added expenses schools would have flying into Shreveport and bussing into Ruston. He brought the general manager of the El Paso Airport to meeting with presidents. He made the argument that CUSA was a metro market conference and UTEP fit that criteria an La Tech never could. He didn't even get into a pissing match about athletics.In the end it wasn't close UTEP was the unanimous choice. It helped that the landscape was much different than its is now. UNT was newly d1 having transitioned from 1-aa five years earlier. Texas State was called Southwest Texas State. They were in the Southland in fcs. UTSA was a non football playing member in the Southland. UTEP had a lot less competition back then.

Maybe my timing is off. I looked at the dates and it seems CUSA did invite us before MP’s first season. We had already hired him but he hadn’t coached yet. Our b-ball was good but they really took a gamble on football.
If Boise St does leave the MWC Senter better sell the hell out of UTEP as a candidate including a guarantee that the school will invest heavily in FB. At least UTEP is now a tier 1 research school. That appeals to univ presidents.

Reactions: Rot
If Boise St does leave the MWC Senter better sell the hell out of UTEP as a candidate including a guarantee that the school will invest heavily in FB. At least UTEP is now a tier 1 research school. That appeals to univ presidents.

Too bad we couldn't win ONE conference game in football. Could have at least tried to sell a program on the rise with a .500 record.

Who would be our competition? I would think the CUSA schools from Texas. UTSA probably the frontrunner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT