ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

Reactions: Autograph Boy
The stay at home order goes at least through April 30th. The article says Abbott is working on a plan (which everybody should be). It doesn't give a time frame of when he might loosen the lockdown.

I’ll wait for the order to come out next week before I rush to any real conclusions. My thinking is if the order is coming out next week, then the loosening of the lockdown isn’t far behind.

I will say this, May 1st is probably a little early, is my guess. We will probably experience a setback if that is the target date.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I went to France in mid February and I can’t tell you how many people were sick on that flight back. The lady seated in front of my wife and I had a fever and was hacking up the whole flight. Not to mention earlier in the week I was at The Louvre and some lady walked by and coughed directly in my face, almost like what would happen if you were holding a child who didn’t know to cover their mouth. Needless to say I got sick when I got back.

I went to France in mid February and I can’t tell you how many people were sick on that flight back. The lady seated in front of my wife and I had a fever and was hacking up the whole flight. Not to mention earlier in the week I was at The Louvre and some lady walked by and coughed directly in my face, almost like what would happen if you were holding a child who didn’t know to cover their mouth. Needless to say I got sick when I got back.
Damn this sounds like the Rudy Gobert scenario, except I'm assuming you never got checked for COVID-19 right?

Damn this sounds like the Rudy Gobert scenario, except I'm assuming you never got checked for COVID-19 right?

Coronavirus wasn’t a thing in The US and from what I remember there was only 1 or 2 cases in France at the time. We were all in that “oh it’s the flu” mentality and I don’t think I could have gotten tested even if I wanted to.

Coronavirus wasn’t a thing in The US and from what I remember there was only 1 or 2 cases in France at the time. We were all in that “oh it’s the flu” mentality and I don’t think I could have gotten tested even if I wanted to.

This virus has been around way sooner than February. Ive been hearing it was already in California for months. People just didnt know they had it.

This virus has been around way sooner than February. Ive been hearing it was already in California for months. People just didnt know they had it.

I believe it. Yes we had a ban on Chinese flights, but how many Americans went abroad to places where there was no ban on travel?

The who knew about it in December "officially". I'm sure we knew about it before based on the whistle blowers

Very good article by a Stanford doctor on the covid 19 situation. Facts instead of politics.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthc...in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

I think that Fact 2, 3 and 5 have merit. Fact 4 is incorrect.

Also who ever edited the math on Fact 1 did a poor job.

In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population.

That's 11 per 1000 (not 100,000)

For those under 18 years of age, hospitalization from the virus is 0.01 percent per 100,000 people; for those 18 to 44 years old, hospitalization is 0.1 percent per 100,000.

That's 1 per 1000 and 1 per 100 (not 100,000)

Last edited:
That had to be one of the dumbest things ever said and I bet Trump lost no votes still.
I agree on this one. I listened to the whole thing. Foot in mouth 100%. No way around it.

Somebody with no medical background brainstorming ideas on how to treat a virus is like my 16 year old thinking he's ready for war in Afghanistan cause he passed a level on call of duty.

Reactions: JCorona
I think that Fact 2, 3 and 5 have merit. Fact 4 is incorrect.

Also who ever edited the math on Fact 1 did a poor job.

In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population.

That's 11 per 1000 (not 100,000)

For those under 18 years of age, hospitalization from the virus is 0.01 percent per 100,000 people; for those 18 to 44 years old, hospitalization is 0.1 percent per 100,000.

That's 1 per 1000 and 1 per 100 (not 100,000)
1 = one percent. .1 = one tenth of one percent. .01 = one hundreth of one percent. Try the math again and i believe you will come up with the same numbers as the doctor.

1 = one percent. .1 = one tenth of one percent. .01 = one hundreth of one percent. Try the math again and i believe you will come up with the same numbers as the doctor.

"In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population".

I tried the math again and 11/100,000 does not equal .01

What am I missing?

"In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population".

I tried the math again and 11/100,000 does not equal .01

What am I missing?

When you convert decimal form to percent you have to move the decimal two places.

FACT 1: I agree that the majority of the infected will not die from the virus. The problem is when you become a carrier and pass it on to someone who will die from the virus. That is what confuses me about all these protestors. They continue to say they will stay home and isolate if they exhibit symptoms. How can they not comprehend that they can be asymptomatic, have the virus, and thus transferring to others?

FACT 2 is a no-brainer. The elderly, and those with chronic medical issues, should be staying home and sheltering.

FACT 3: I disagree big time. The Doc is pushing an opinion with this one. All viruses are not the same. The ease of transferring this virus is not the same as the flu or other past issues like H1N1. This one is so much easier to contract. Sure, the young and the healthy will contract it, build an immunity, and be fine. Everyone else they transfer it to? The elderly? Dead. Those with diabetes and heart disease? Dead. People with a weakened immune system like cancer patients? Dead. The list goes on and on.

FACT 4 is trash. Fear mongering.

FACT 5 is sound but not if the Doc is saying everyone besides the elderly and sick can go about their business.

You can’t unring a bell and you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube. Testing is limited and we don’t know who has it. Young / healthy people can be transferring it among themselves. We don’t know who they are going home to and exposing.

Reactions: develman
When you convert decimal form to percent you have to move the decimal two places.
OK let me try again

11 in 100,000 = .00011%

1 in a 100 is equal to .01%

Therefore we can conclude that 11 in 100,000 does NOT equal .01%. Correct?

That means 1 out of 100 (or 11 out of 1000) aged 18 to 45 that get Covid will die (not 11 in 100,000). Looks to me like the doctor just added too many zeros in his ratios and the editor missed it. It is important to get the numbers correct otherwise it can be misleading.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
OK let me try again

11 in 100,000 = .00011%

1 in a 100 is equal to .01%

Therefore we can conclude that 11 in 100,000 does NOT equal .01%. Correct?

That means 1 out of 100 (or 11 out of 1000) aged 18 to 45 that get Covid will die (not 11 in 100,000). Looks to me like the doctor just added too many zeros in his ratios and the editor missed it. It is important to get the numbers correct otherwise it can be misleading.
1 in 100 is equal to 0.01.
1 in 100 is equal to 1%.

11 in 100,000 = 0.00011 = 0.011%

1 in 100 is equal to 0.01.
1 in 100 is equal to 1%.

11 in 100,000 = 0.00011 = 0.011%
Ok yes I agree with you on your calculations (I shouldn't have added the % after the initial calculation). His numbers were correct based on the per 100,000 population.

This is not how you calculate the death rate though. Using a percentage of the per 100,000 population number is very misleading because this is a novel virus so including the entire population dilutes the numbers by basically adding two zeroes.

Death rate is those who die divided by those who are known to have the disease. In NY for age group 18-45 its 11 out of 1600 cases .68% (not .01% like the doctor claims). It is pretty low, but not that low.

The Indian gas station stores around here sell packs of KN95 masks at 5 for $25.

Oh damn, It's Friday in central El Paso and early summer is here in El Paso as temps hit in the 90's and almost 100 by late next week.

Rico Suave is feeling amorous and she is as well and those two idiots are not going to stay home and to top it off, he just got a new (used) car that his grandpa co-signed for and he ain't staying home.

giphy.gif

My office closed Thursday, I’m officially on lock down with a shit load of groceries and weed. Supposed to get a call on Monday from the city HD so I can get tested I was around this person who was infected last Saturday been a crazy week in the Casa De Bigwood...No symptoms or anything just riding this out for 10 more days.

https://elpasomatters.org/2020/04/2...el-paso-closed-because-of-covid-19-infection/

My office closed Thursday, I’m officially on lock down with a shit load of groceries and weed. Supposed to get a call on Monday from the city HD so I can get tested I was around this person who was infected last Saturday been a crazy week in the Casa De Bigwood...No symptoms or anything just riding this out for 10 more days.

https://elpasomatters.org/2020/04/2...el-paso-closed-because-of-covid-19-infection/
Take care of yourself Bigwood. Hydrate and lay off the weed for a minute!

Be safe, and don’t smoke to much or you won’t have any food left.

Someone explain to be how shortening the stores hours make sense. The less time they are open the greater concentration of people at any one time.
How does closing small stores like flower shops or small boutique help, this just causes more people to go to Walmart. I would bet that Wally World, Target, and other big chains are loving this as it has closed what little competition they had previously,
No I’m not saying they what people to get sick or die, but they are probably telling Trump it’s a bad thing to open the economy,
I truly believe the business people could come up with solutions to keep themselves, their employees, and clients safe.
Congress does need to pass a no law suit law if you do catch the virus. We must take precautions for our own health.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT