ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

Thank god you can tell us about this. If you don't mind me asking, how did you guys catch the covid and how did you guys manage spreading it too so many people in your family?
Thanks it was not pleasant but luckily it worked out for us. My son caught it from a friend he was working out with at the gym. Before we knew it we all had cold like symptoms. The strange thing about it is that only me and my two sons tested positive at first despite all of us feeling like crap. It wasn't until about 10 days later that my wife and daughters tested positive. For the most part very mild symptoms. Like I said before the wife had a couple of tough days with pneumonia but she recovered and is doing great. This all happened in October 2020. Just tested recently and we all still have antibodies after almost a year. Only real side affect for me is joint pain and some days I lack the energy I used to have. Food and Drinks don't all taste the same anymore but it has been improving. If we didn't have anti-bodies I believe we would have gone for the vaccine. Right now I feel comfortable not taking the shot. Side note my pregnant daughter was at Providence Hospital a couple of days ago and she was told that they are getting a high number of people who are fully vaccinated that are testing positive for COVID. Not sure what that means but maybe the vaccine is keeping people from getting real sick. It will take years to evaluate all the data to find out how people previously infected with COVID do long term, opposed to people not infected but who received the vaccine. I do think people who are positive for anti-bodies should be treated as though they have received the shot. We should not be forced to take the shot by businesses, employers, airlines, or any government entity.

Underlying health conditions.

The virus mutated again. The new strain was discovered in Cali and tests are being run on its infection capabilities and lethality. More people get vaxxed the less chance it can mutate.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the vaccine was the cause of the mutations.....thought I read that somewhere

Thanks it was not pleasant but luckily it worked out for us. My son caught it from a friend he was working out with at the gym. Before we knew it we all had cold like symptoms. The strange thing about it is that only me and my two sons tested positive at first despite all of us feeling like crap. It wasn't until about 10 days later that my wife and daughters tested positive. For the most part very mild symptoms. Like I said before the wife had a couple of tough days with pneumonia but she recovered and is doing great. This all happened in October 2020. Just tested recently and we all still have antibodies after almost a year. Only real side affect for me is joint pain and some days I lack the energy I used to have. Food and Drinks don't all taste the same anymore but it has been improving. If we didn't have anti-bodies I believe we would have gone for the vaccine. Right now I feel comfortable not taking the shot. Side note my pregnant daughter was at Providence Hospital a couple of days ago and she was told that they are getting a high number of people who are fully vaccinated that are testing positive for COVID. Not sure what that means but maybe the vaccine is keeping people from getting real sick. It will take years to evaluate all the data to find out how people previously infected with COVID do long term, opposed to people not infected but who received the vaccine. I do think people who are positive for anti-bodies should be treated as though they have received the shot. We should not be forced to take the shot by businesses, employers, airlines, or any government entity.
I'm just glad you doing good

Reactions: Dmanminer
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the vaccine was the cause of the mutations.....thought I read that somewhere
No, this is wrong. Had a high enough percentage of the population been vaccinated it would have helped to prevent the spread of the disease, including the variants. Places where a low percentage of the population have been vaccinated are the areas where Delta is spreading rapidly.

Oh, and the last I knew studies have shown that any immunity to COVID from having contracted it before fades in time. It is recommended that those who have had COVID should still be vaccinated. My two oldest sons contracted it last year, both received their vaccinations as soon as they were able. They are both COVID long haulers (Google this if you don't know what it means), and wanted no part of catching it again.

No, this is wrong. Had a high enough percentage of the population been vaccinated it would have helped to prevent the spread of the disease, including the variants. Places where a low percentage of the population have been vaccinated are the areas where Delta is spreading rapidly.

Oh, and the last I knew studies have shown that any immunity to COVID from having contracted it before fades in time. It is recommended that those who have had COVID should still be vaccinated. My two oldest sons contracted it last year, both received their vaccinations as soon as they were able. They are both COVID long haulers (Google this if you don't know what it means), and wanted no part of catching it again.

Being a long hauler sucks. I've had hives and hair shedding well after the month it took to recover from COVID. And my wife tells me that I keep forgetting things too. I have ZERO sympathy for anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers. They are enabling variants and prolonging the pandemic.

Killer, sorry to hear about the Long COVID. Did the vaccination help? I have seen news articles saying that the vaccine has helped some long haulers by easing their symptoms, and both of my long haul sons believe that the vaccination may have helped them.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Killer, sorry to hear about the Long COVID. Did the vaccination help? I have seen news articles saying that the vaccine has helped some long haulers by easing their symptoms, and both of my long haul sons believe that the vaccination may have helped them.

Maybe some? I haven't had hives again but the hair shedding occurred after getting vaccinated. And I'm still forgetting things more than usual. As long as it keep me from getting as sick as I did the first time around I'm glad to be vaccinated. Of course, I'd prefer to NOT get COVID again but I'm comforted knowing that I won't get as sick and I won't die. That had to have been the most miserable month in my almost 6 decades on mother Earth.

Being a long hauler sucks. I've had hives and hair shedding well after the month it took to recover from COVID. And my wife tells me that I keep forgetting things too. I have ZERO sympathy for anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers. They are enabling variants and prolonging the pandemic.
Just curious how do people who are not vaccinated or wear a mask enable variants? People who wear masks and are vaccinated can get COVID and can spread the virus to others as well. Not to be argumentative but why are the immunities that you get from a vaccine better than the ones I obtained naturally. Me and my family have had immunities almost a year now but after two shots they are talking about boosters for those of you who have taken the shot. It hasn't even been a year since the shot became available. I find it interesting that none of us (in my family) have been re-infected with COVID but people I know who have the vaccine have been. Please explain.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Just curious how do people who are not vaccinated or wear a mask enable variants? ... Please explain.

Those of us who are vaxxed and mask are at least trying to stop the spread and contract COVID at a much lesser rate than unvaxxed/unmasked. Those who are not vaxxed nor mask seem to not care. That enables mutation and prolongs the pandemic.

Those of us who are vaxxed and mask are at least trying to stop the spread and contract COVID at a much lesser rate than unvaxxed/unmasked. Those who are not vaxxed nor mask seem to not care. That enables mutation and prolongs the pandemic.
Ok I get it but why are people who choose not to get vaxxed because they have antibodies already considered as not caring? I think mutations occur because the virus is looking for a way to survive. The shot and people with antibodies are going to help create strains of COVID because that is the way the virus works. Just say everyone was vaccinated this doesn't mean mutations won't occur. I understand that people who are completely unprotected because of not having COVID in the past or not receiving a vaccination could be problematic. But I believe it should still be their choice. As I mentioned before if I had never been infected I would be more than happy to get the vaccine because I choose to, not because the government is telling me to do so. I don't mind wearing the mask even though its effectiveness is questionable. But I should have the right to choose what goes in my body. The fact that the government is moving to mandate the vaccine should scare everyone. There is no guarantee either way but I would rather have control over my fate then to put blind faith in a few decision makers.

Reactions: kickballpro
I dont want to wear a mask. If you look at the NIH mitigation report, it says that masks are the 4th of the mitigation strategies with Ventilation being #1. Masks are considered minimally effective.

So my question is, if those who choose not to get vaccinated can do so because it's their body their choice. Then why doesn't the same logic apply to me and my mask. My face gets irritated, I can't breathe right, I get anxiety...... but Masks get mandated and vaccines don't.

Ok I get it but why are people who choose not to get vaxxed because they have antibodies already considered as not caring? I think mutations occur because the virus is looking for a way to survive. The shot and people with antibodies are going to help create strains of COVID because that is the way the virus works. Just say everyone was vaccinated this doesn't mean mutations won't occur. I understand that people who are completely unprotected because of not having COVID in the past or not receiving a vaccination could be problematic. But I believe it should still be their choice. As I mentioned before if I had never been infected I would be more than happy to get the vaccine because I choose to, not because the government is telling me to do so. I don't mind wearing the mask even though its effectiveness is questionable. But I should have the right to choose what goes in my body. The fact that the government is moving to mandate the vaccine should scare everyone. There is no guarantee either way but I would rather have control over my fate then to put blind faith in a few decision makers.
This has been hashed in American courts and the government has every right.

"On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court, by a 7-2 majority, said in Jacobson v. Massachusetts that the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts could fine residents who refused to receive smallpox injections. In 1901, a smallpox epidemic swept through the Northeast and Cambridge, and Massachusetts reacted by requiring all adults receive smallpox inoculations subject to a $5 fine. In 1902, Pastor Henning Jacobson, suggesting that he and his son both were injured by previous vaccines, refused to be vaccinated and to pay the fine. In state court, Jacobson argued the vaccine law violated the Massachusetts and federal constitutions. The state courts, including the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, rejected his claims. Before the Supreme Court, Jacobson argued that, “compulsion to introduce disease into a healthy system is a violation of liberty.

On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court rejected Jacobson’s arguments. Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health: “The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts,” Harlan said “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”"

https://constitutioncenter.org/inte...eme-court-rules-on-vaccines-and-public-health

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I dont want to wear a mask. If you look at the NIH mitigation report, it says that masks are the 4th of the mitigation strategies with Ventilation being #1. Masks are considered minimally effective.

So my question is, if those who choose not to get vaccinated can do so because it's their body their choice. Then why doesn't the same logic apply to me and my mask. My face gets irritated, I can't breathe right, I get anxiety...... but Masks get mandated and vaccines don't.
Politics?

“Libtards” in Seattle, Portland, Austin, and California want you to. If you don’t want to wear one, you’re a “trumptard” and racist.

I agree with you but masks don't have side affects that we don't know about yet. What happens to vaccinated people 2 or 3 years down the road. Nobody knows. The masks are a pain but if I had to pick one or the other I would have to go with the false security of a mask.

Last edited:
I agree with you but masks don't have side affects that we don't know about yet. What happens to vaccinated people 2 or 3 years down the road. Nobody knows. The masks are a pain but if I had to pick the one or the other I would have to go with the false security of a mask.
A vaccine having side effects years down the line is different from being “forced” to wear a mask though.

The “rules” keep changing. First it’s this, then it’s this, and now it’s that. To top it off, some people listen to their unemployed, high school dropout friends on Facebook. Someone who couldn’t graduate high school is not smarter or more educated on a vaccine than doctors.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
FDA will approve Moderna and Phizer vaccines early next month. Let's see if all these anti-government types that said, well the FDA hasn't approved it (bizarro world). Let's see if they will now take it because the government (FDA) said it was ok to do so?

Research is still ongoing but in a few short months a booster will be needed. Good masks do work but there is no bullet proof mask nor vaccine but they do definitely work.

This has been hashed in American courts and the government has every right.

"On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court, by a 7-2 majority, said in Jacobson v. Massachusetts that the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts could fine residents who refused to receive smallpox injections. In 1901, a smallpox epidemic swept through the Northeast and Cambridge, and Massachusetts reacted by requiring all adults receive smallpox inoculations subject to a $5 fine. In 1902, Pastor Henning Jacobson, suggesting that he and his son both were injured by previous vaccines, refused to be vaccinated and to pay the fine. In state court, Jacobson argued the vaccine law violated the Massachusetts and federal constitutions. The state courts, including the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, rejected his claims. Before the Supreme Court, Jacobson argued that, “compulsion to introduce disease into a healthy system is a violation of liberty.

On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court rejected Jacobson’s arguments. Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health: “The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts,” Harlan said “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”"

https://constitutioncenter.org/inte...eme-court-rules-on-vaccines-and-public-health
I understand what case law says but those arguments are so out dated. We did not introduce this disease into a healthy system. It came to us. To force people to get a vaccine despite the fact that most (over 99%) survive without it doesn't make sense. It's almost like the over use of antibiotics. You take antibiotics too often the infection mutates and the antibiotics become less affective. If your immune system is compromised or you are considered high risk get the vaccine. If you have COVID antibodies you should be considered vaccinated.

FDA will approve Moderna and Phizer vaccines early next month. Let's see if all these anti-government types that said, well the FDA hasn't approved it (bizarro world). Let's see if they will now take it because the government (FDA) said it was ok to do so?
The FDA is the government......

I understand what case law says but those arguments are so out dated. We did not introduce this disease into a healthy system. It came to us. To force people to get a vaccine despite the fact that most (over 99%) survive without it doesn't make sense. It's almost like the over use of antibiotics. You take antibiotics too often the infection mutates and the antibiotics become less affective. If your immune system is compromised or you are considered high risk get the vaccine. If you have COVID antibodies you should be considered vaccinated.

The argument that “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”" is never out of date.

I understand what case law says but those arguments are so out dated.
Holy sweet Jehoshaphat! Are you kidding me? It doesn't matter if came after ol' George turned over, it has precedent.

Don't get the shot and don't wear a mask, fine. Drink and drive. Yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre. Walk naked in the mall. Go pee on a bush at a busy intersection. Grope your lover in a public restaurant. That cutie in H.R.? Take a squeeze, why not? That old bat that cut you off and made you miss your exit ramp? Pull out that Glock and make her crap her pants.

The argument that “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”" is never out of date.
Of course you have the right to get the vaccine as self defense against an epidemic of disease as stated. If that is what you choose to do. You can protect yourself as you see fit but you can't force others to do so if they don't want to. Land of the Free! If this vaccine was a 100% affective with no side affects and no long term issues which we don't know about yet then hell yeah sign me up, but I personally don't feel anybody should be forced to take a relatively unproven vaccine. I guess I read it differently.

We will be back to this in the fall.......

kudebjb5ocg71.jpg

Reactions: DaMinerMan
Of course you have the right to get the vaccine as self defense against an epidemic of disease as stated. If that is what you choose to do. You can protect yourself as you see fit but you can't force others to do so if they don't want to. Land of the Free! If this vaccine was a 100% affective with no side affects and no long term issues which we don't know about yet then hell yeah sign me up, but I personally don't feel anybody should be forced to take a relatively unproven vaccine. I guess I read it differently.
Have you tried to enroll a kid in elementary school recently?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The unfortunate reality is that until most of the world’s population is vaccinated this virus will continue to mutate as it has in India, Peru, England etc. Even if you forget about alll of the antivaxxers and antimaskers I wonder how many months or years it will take for third world countries to vaccinate their populations. Imagine how many times that virus will mutate by then?

I don't wear a mask unless I go somewhere and the employees are required to wear a mask. I just do it out of respect for the employees (I'm not selfish). Usually, I just mirror what the other person is doing. I'm fully vaxxed, so I'm not worried about covid. The other day though, I was at a bar, on the patio and had to sneeze all of a sudden (was about to take a drink out of my beer and was responding to a text) so I didn't get a chance to completely cover my mouth. This dude (who is always talking politics and is an antivaxxer because of it) sitting at a table next to me got all upset and told me to "cover your mouth". I told him to go get vaccinated. He ran out and through a $20 on the bar for his tab.... Dude's tab was $18.25... so not only was he antivaxxer, he was a cheap ass. I kinda think he used that argument as a way of getting out of paying a decent tip.

Abbott Now wants out of state help with COVID situation in Texas Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Isn't this the same guy who told NY that red states wouldn't bail out blue states?

Who knew ignoring science and basic common sense in the middle of a pandemic would lead to high rates of infection? It’s almost like the doctors and scientists gave better medical advice than uneducated tent revival, snake-handling preachers, and self-motivated politicians.

Abbott Now wants out of state help with COVID situation in Texas Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Isn't this the same guy who told NY that red states wouldn't bail out blue states?

Who knew ignoring science and basic common sense in the middle of a pandemic would lead to high rates of infection? It’s almost like the doctors and scientists gave better medical advice than uneducated tent revival, snake-handling preachers, and self-motivated politicians.
I thought Texans had mastered personal responsibility by now.

I thought Texans had mastered personal responsibility by now.
Alabama gov was wondering the same thing about her own state citizens a few weeks ago, "We're supposed to use common sense (to get vaccinated)".

However, Texas is a launching site for all things GOP, the anti-west coast (but yet Big XII hold overs are begging PAC XII to be admitted, the irony?).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT