ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cowboys

Garrett did nothing wrong this game.

source.gif

The Cowboys had the ball with two minutes and 3 timeouts with a chance to not only tie but to outright win with a touchdown. The Cowboys were moving the ball and, indeed, had just picked up a first down when the refs decided to kill the drive with a fake penalty. The announcers were aghast at the penalty, too.

Garrett had the Cowboys in a position where they had the chance to win the game on the road at 9-1 New England in horrible weather. And the refs took that away.

The Cowboys had the ball with two minutes and 3 timeouts with a chance to not only tie but to outright win with a touchdown. The Cowboys were moving the ball and, indeed, had just picked up a first down when the refs decided to kill the drive with a fake penalty. The announcers were aghast at the penalty, too.

Garrett had the Cowboys in a position where they had the chance to win the game on the road at 9-1 New England in horrible weather. And the refs took that away.

Why didn’t we go for the TD on the previous drive?

Why didn’t we run it on third and one on the final drive?

Why didn’t we go for the TD on the previous drive?
Because it was 4th and long, so we probably weren't going to pick it up, and there were 6 minutes left in the game with a two minute warning and three timeouts, so we were probably going to get the ball again and we did. So take the points, and when you get the ball back again, a touchdown WINS the game instead of merely tying.

Why didn’t we run it on third and one on the final drive?
Because we picked up the first down anyway, but that was negated by a fake penalty.

Because it was 4th and long, so we probably weren't going to pick it up, and there were 6 minutes left in the game with a two minute warning and three timeouts, so we were probably going to get the ball again and we did. So take the points, and when you get the ball back again, a touchdown WINS the game instead of merely tying.

Because we picked up the first down anyway, but that was negated by a fake penalty.

what about the special teams disasters?

In my opinion, we should have gone for it on 4th down and wasn't it like 6 yards. If we don't make it, they start off deep in their territory. 3rd down should have ran it

Reactions: unihorn
In my opinion, we should have gone for it on 4th down and wasn't it like 6 yards. If we don't make it, they start off deep in their territory. 3rd down should have ran it
That's a defensible opinion. I think taking the points was correct, because we did indeed get the ball back with a chance to score a touchdown to WIN. I don't want to go to OT with these guys on the road in this weather.

But you're right, if we don't get it, they are pinned inside the 20 into the wind. But we still need a TD.

I think it was 4th and 7, not 6, but either one is a tall order against the Patriots in the red zone, especially in this weather. I think the announcers said they've given up 9 touchdowns in the red zone all season? They bend but don't break; those types of defenses really tighten up in the red zone and it's really tough to score touchdowns on them. I don't like our odds of picking up a 4th and 6 or 7; I put it at about 15%. I prefer to take the points.

I don't think it's a slam dunk obvious call one way or the other.

That's a defensible opinion. I think taking the points was correct, because we did indeed get the ball back with a chance to score a touchdown to WIN. I don't want to go to OT with these guys on the road in this weather.

But you're right, if we don't get it, they are pinned inside the 20 into the wind. But we still need a TD.

I think it was 4th and 7, not 6, but either one is a tall order against the Patriots in the red zone, especially in this weather. I think the announcers said they've given up 9 touchdowns in the red zone all season? They bend but don't break; those types of defenses really tighten up in the red zone and it's really tough to score touchdowns on them. I don't like our odds of picking up a 4th and 6 or 7; I put it at about 15%. I prefer to take the points.

Sure, except it didn’t work.

I would like to thank the refs as well because as we all know any penalty called against the Cowboys is long overdue and always the correct call.

Good job refs.

I would like to thank the refs as well because as we all know any penalty called against the Cowboys is long overdue and always the correct call.

Good job refs.
I'm sure you're enjoying this. But I don't understand why you don't hate cheating ball-deflating Spygate New England Patriots even more. The Cowboys haven't even been to the NFC Championship game for over 20 years but the Patriots have been evil for several years and still are while they beat everybody.

How about next time we throw the ball ALL the way down the field we DON'T hand the ball to Zeke as soon as we hit the red zone (last drive vs Vikings and 2nd to last drive today).

What a waste of Rayne Dakota! The dude is playing balls out and Garrett is just hindering his growth!

As a 49er fan, I’d swap Dakota with Jimmy G in a heartbeat.

I'm sure you're enjoying this. But I don't understand why you don't hate cheating ball-deflating Spygate New England Patriots even more. The Cowboys haven't even been to the NFC Championship game for over 20 years but the Patriots have been evil for several years and still are while they beat everybody.
Giddy as a schoolgirl at recess. I reserve my hate for true evil.

According to Stats (the ones they use on ESPN), the odds of winning after the field goal were less than if you went for it on fourth down.
Let's take it back to the horrible play calling when they got the ball inside the 15 in the first place. Why get cute? Why not just keep doing what you were doing and run it down their throats? You have them back pedaling. Instead, they went with much lower percentage play calling that put them in the 4th and 6 in the first place. Secondly, a field goal does not win the game for you, nor does it even get you within a field goal, it is worthless. You are still down 4 and have to get a touchdown. That is just bad coaching.
The bottom line is that Cowboy fans have to stop being fooled. The Cowboys every year are a great team on paper, and everyone claims they are Super Bowl contenders, yet the best they will ever do is win a wild card game. This has been the same thing since 1996. The common denominator is Jerry Jones as GM. You can always change the puppet coach, because that is all that will be there because Jerry coaches the team. Until Jerry steps down as GM, the Cowboys will be forever an underachieving, undisciplined team that can win a wild card at best.

Secondly, a field goal does not win the game for you, nor does it even get you within a field goal, it is worthless.
A field goal plus a touchdown on the final drive does win the game in regulation. The field goal is not useless. The Cowboys got the ball back with 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning with a chance to score a touchdown and win in regulation. If they had gone for it on 4th down and missed it, then when they got the ball back, they would have been trying to merely tie the game with a touchdown instead of win.

I think it's fair to criticize Garrett for special teams and say we never should have been in this situation to begin with, but I don't have a problem at all with the decision to kick the field goal.

A field goal plus a touchdown on the final drive does win the game in regulation. The field goal is not useless. The Cowboys got the ball back with 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning with a chance to score a touchdown and win in regulation. If they had gone for it on 4th down and missed it, then when they got the ball back, they would have been trying to merely tie the game with a touchdown instead of win.

I think it's fair to criticize Garrett for special teams and say we never should have been in this situation to begin with, but I don't have a problem at all with the decision to kick the field goal.
Again, you can spurt out whatever you feel, but it did not happen did it? And again, the chances of winning the game by going on 4th down were higher, than kicking a field goal. If you don't believe me go to ESPN and read their STATS. If that is the statistics, than obviously this has been done many times over and that decision was not the percentage decision. You may feel like it was a great decision, but you are one of the few. And you are most likely one of the few that sits there every week and thinks the Cowboys are super bowl contenders year after year.

Garrett is toast.
Will it matter who they hire to replace him? Jerry Jones will still be there making the horrible GM decisions, and if you think he will actually hire a coach with Cajones that will stand up to him, a la Bill Parcells (who said when he left they would be right back where they were before him and was right), you are dreaming.

Will it matter who they hire to replace him? Jerry Jones will still be there making the horrible GM decisions, and if you think he will actually hire a coach with Cajones that will stand up to him, a la Bill Parcells (who said when he left they would be right back where they were before him and was right), you are dreaming.

depends on who Jerrah hires

What quality Coach is going to coach under Jerry Jones? Who is going to take the job? Another puppet. That is why the teams are so undisciplined.
But the fans will be happy with the decisions they make, like kicking the field goal, and that is why they are 6-5 and it has been over 23 years since they won anything more than a wild card game.

But the fans will be happy with the decisions they make, like kicking the field goal, and that is why they are 6-5 and it has been over 23 years since they won anything more than a wild card game.
HEY JACKASS @Rocketsr! The Cowboys just went for it on 4th and 6 instead of kicking the field goal, and guess what! They didn't get it! Just like they wouldn't have gotten it against the Patriots!

I wish they would have kicked the field goal right now. Garrett must have been listening to idiot fans like you all week.

HEY JACKASS @Rocketsr! The Cowboys just went for it on 4th and 6 instead of kicking the field goal, and guess what! They didn't get it! Just like they wouldn't have gotten it against the Patriots!

I wish they would have kicked the field goal right now. Garrett must have been listening to idiot fans like you all week.
Take the points. We are going to need two tds and two point conversions to tie it. With the fg we win the game if we score the two tds and hold them to zero.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Great now we’re going to need two tds, two 2 point conversions, and the fg we passed up on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT