ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cowboys

I have not read anywhere on 49ers O line? That strong Dallas D line stuffed the running game but the 2nd half the 49er O line was opening gaps and holes for McCaffrey and Mitchell to keep two or three critical drives going.

Solid take from another board:

Here is where reasonable Cowboys fans are at:

Both McCarthy and Dak are well above average. But neither is elite. Same with Kellen Moore.

(Side note - Dan Quinn is elite as a DC).

That puts you in a really tough spot - do you blow it up and try to go get an elite coach and/or QB knowing full well it's like 10 times more likely that you will get replacements that are worse? Or do you stick with these guys, try to add talent, and stay a really good team that will need kind of a major breakthrough somehow to win a superbowl?

(EDIT: a major breakthrough would be something like e.g. landing a couple of additional generational talent at a couple of non-QB spots, or landing a superstar mid/late-round QB ala Jalen Hurts/Russell Wilson/Tom Brady, or landing a superstar offensive coordinator early in their career)

Right now, a lot of cowboys fans want to blow it up, but again - that comes with substantial downside. You can try to trade Dak, but there's a very real chance that if you get picks back you'll end up picking a guy that is not as good as Dak. You can go trade some picks for Sean Payton, but there's a real chance that without Drew Brees and without the picks you'd need to get him, you may end up in an even worse spot.

Personally, I would swing for the fences on a new HC who is offensive-minded and can hopefully get Dak to go one step beyond where he is today. We've seen the difference between guys like Trevor Lawrence in Urban Meyer's system vs. Doug Peterson's. We've seen the difference between Jared Goff with the Rams vs. Lions.

I think that, given tha the cowboys are a bit stuck with Dak, the easiest part to go re-evaluate is the offensive playcalling. So take a risk there and see what happens. And if in 2 years with what you would assume is a better playcaller you can't get there with Dak, you will be at the point of his contract where you can dump him/trade him, etc. and start all over.

Both McCarthy and Dak are well above average. But neither is elite. Same with Kellen Moore.

That puts you in a really tough spot - do you blow it up and try to go get an elite coach and/or QB knowing full well it's like 10 times more likely that you will get replacements that are worse? Or do you stick with these guys, try to add talent, and stay a really good team that will need kind of a major breakthrough somehow to win a superbowl?

(EDIT: a major breakthrough would be something like e.g. landing a couple of additional generational talent at a couple of non-QB spots, or landing a superstar mid/late-round QB ala Jalen Hurts/Russell Wilson/Tom Brady, or landing a superstar offensive coordinator early in their career)

Right now, a lot of cowboys fans want to blow it up, but again - that comes with substantial downside. You can try to trade Dak, but there's a very real chance that if you get picks back you'll end up picking a guy that is not as good as Dak. You can go trade some picks for Sean Payton, but there's a real chance that without Drew Brees and without the picks you'd need to get him, you may end up in an even worse spot.

Personally, I would swing for the fences on a new HC who is offensive-minded and can hopefully get Dak to go one step beyond where he is today. We've seen the difference between guys like Trevor Lawrence in Urban Meyer's system vs. Doug Peterson's. We've seen the difference between Jared Goff with the Rams vs. Lions.

I think that, given tha the cowboys are a bit stuck with Dak, the easiest part to go re-evaluate is the offensive playcalling. So take a risk there and see what happens. And if in 2 years with what you would assume is a better playcaller you can't get there with Dak, you will be at the point of his contract where you can dump him/trade him, etc. and start all over.
Unfortunately, I think they're kind of stuck. Can they convince the Texans or the Colts they can fix Dak? Probably not. I wouldn't bet on finding an elite QB in the mid-rounds - that's the exception rather than the rule. It would be interesting if one the top QBs falls to end the first round. Unlikely though.

I think the running back room is going to end up wholly revamped. They've gotta get rid of Zeke. They probably going to have to let Pollar walk. One of the early mock drafts I saw has them taking Bijan Robinson, which would be a solid pick. Maybe pick up a serviceable vet as well. I think Green Bay might have a cap casualty at RB this year. Just sayin'.

I would love to move on from Moore, but he kind of seems to be on the Jason Garrett career path. Of course, Payton would be an upgrade at HC. Would they be willing to pay the price for him? Also, one thing that gives me pause on him is how much of what happened in New Orleans was him and how much was Drew Brees?

Reactions: unihorn

I disagree about Dak. I like what some dude said on First Take this morning about Dak. He spoke about how Dak is a great person, about his character, about just how good a person Dak is. And he said that the mistake we make with Dak is that we put Dak the quarterback at the same level as Dak the person.

Dak is not a superstar QB.

Fat Mike is ok. The GM is the biggest problem here. The GM -- Jerruh -- convinces himself and the Cowboys fans that every player he brings in is the greatest ever at his position and this applies to Dak. Yet, Dak was out-played by the rookie "Mr. Irrelevant" who has played in fewer than 10 games.

My only question at this point is, IF the 49ers end up winning the Super Bowl and Brock Purdy is named MVP, who plays him in the movie "Mr. Irrelevant"?

“Jerry Jones has proved as brilliant at the balance sheet as he is hapless on the gridiron. The game’s best-known owner has found revenue streams that no one had ever thought of”

Reactions: TxRdKiller
With or without Pollard? I think Shultz will be gone, so losing both would be tough. I hope we sign Pollard and a #2 receiver. Draft Bijan and run with our young TEs.
We are paying Dak 40 million a year to throw interceptions, and Zeke 16 to be the Fullback. Where is the money to sign Pollard? Better get a RB or else Dak will throw 30 interceptions next year. Jerry has mismanaged this team and is running them into the ground.

We are paying Dak 40 million a year to throw interceptions, and Zeke 16 to be the Fullback. Where is the money to sign Pollard? Better get a RB or else Dak will throw 30 interceptions next year. Jerry has mismanaged this team and is running them into the ground.
Signing Zeke 2 years early was a huge mistake by Jerry. We lost Cooper and a first round pick because of it.

Lets hope Dak's INT woes were a one year wonder.

We lose Zeke and Shultz. I think we should sign Pollard and a #2 receiver. A drafted RB will be cheap (or we pick up another backup). We have 2 good young TE's. Incorporate Turpin a bit more into the offense. Defense stays mostly intact.

Signing Zeke 2 years early was a huge mistake by Jerry. We lost Cooper and a first round pick because of it.

Lets hope Dak's INT woes were a one year wonder.

We lose Zeke and Shultz. I think we should sign Pollard and a #2 receiver. A drafted RB will be cheap (or we pick up another backup). We have 2 good young TE's. Incorporate Turpin a bit more into the offense. Defense stays mostly intact.
This is the problem with Zeke:
Huge cap hit. Letting him go does nothing because we still have the dead money. Again Jerry is an idiot. You learned long before that you do not sign RB's to long term contracts. It was proven many times before, and yet Jerry goes and does it.

Now look at Dak:
This guy takes 21.5% of the cap, and added to Elliot, they take up almost 30%. Again, bad moves by Jerry, as Dak was only 8% this year. We are stuck in a bad place trying to rebuild the O line and sign a good receiver. Jerry has run the team into a wall and there is little room for any changes.

Cowboys should sign Rush, draft a RB and sign Schultz and move on from Dak. Problem is that Dak takes up so much dead money, that you can't just flush it away. How about trading him for Aaron Rodgers? It would be about the same cap hit?

Of course that will not happen, but I would like to know what is going to change on offense that all of a sudden is going to have us win divisional playoff games? Looks to me they are only going to be weaker on that side of the ball due to the cap.

Reactions: centex-miner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT