ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso To Build Another Stadium

EPTUTEP is spot on. Why should the city or tax payer give incentives for this team? The Chihuahuas already bring people downtown and this Soccer team plays almost the same months as the Chihuahuas. If this were for events during the fall and winter, different story.

Again, this team will play 1/3 of the games as the Chihuahuas do. They would be lucky to fill over 20 other non-soccer dates the reSt of the year. How many events are held combined at Cohen/Super within the last year?

They're also banking on El Pasoans to support this team, despite there being no hope for a 1st division team. The Chihuahuas can at least say that some of their players will be in the MLB someday. EP USL players will be older washouts, college players, and some that will see MLS bench time. These will be players that no other league wants.

For those that want city help for this team, can you name 1 significant soccer player that played in the USL within the last 10 years. Don't say Didier Drogba or any other player that is at the very end of their career either. Someone that started there or played during their prime.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
EPTUTEP is spot on. Why should the city or tax payer give incentives for this team? The Chihuahuas already bring people downtown and this Soccer team plays almost the same months as the Chihuahuas. If this were for events during the fall and winter, different story.

Again, this team will play 1/3 of the games as the Chihuahuas do. They would be lucky to fill over 20 other non-soccer dates the reSt of the year. How many events are held combined at Cohen/Super within the last year?

They're also banking on El Pasoans to support this team, despite there being no hope for a 1st division team. The Chihuahuas can at least say that some of their players will be in the MLB someday. EP USL players will be older washouts, college players, and some that will see MLS bench time. These will be players that no other league wants.

For those that want city help for this team, can you name 1 significant soccer player that played in the USL within the last 10 years. Don't say Didier Drogba or any other player that is at the very end of their career either. Someone that started there or played during their prime.

Cities provide incentives for new teams, and businesses, to come. It's how things work.

With Hunt and Foster behind this, it'll be done WAY nicer than any expected revenues will cover. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, maybe they're building it in anticipation of other, bigger games being played here.

Reactions: axingfools1
With that self defeating mentality you are correct.

As far as Austin’s third attempt at USL one has to admire the resilience involved. If it didn’t work this way let’s try this other way. The point is you keep fighting and don’t give up. Some of the most successful people in the world were knocked down seven times but got up eight.

It's not self defeating mentality. It's realistic. Are you ever going to sleep with Gal Gadot or that weather girl from the other thread? Probably not, sure there's a "chance", but its not happening. Same for MLS in EP. Why don't we build a 75,000 seat domed stadium then? We might get a NFL team and it would be ready for MLS like Atlanta.

You might admire the resilience involved, but do you pay taxes there or live there? If Austin is dumb enough to think a 3rd attempt is going to work, then more power to them.

Yeah, some successful people got knocked down 8 times before they were successful, but how many used city money or incentives over and over and over again? You wanna waste your own money, I'm fine with that, just don't f with mine.

It's not self defeating mentality. It's realistic. Are you ever going to sleep with Gal Gadot or that weather girl from the other thread? Probably not, sure there's a "chance", but its not happening. Same for MLS in EP. Why don't we build a 75,000 seat domed stadium then? We might get a NFL team and it would be ready for MLS like Atlanta.

You might admire the resilience involved, but do you pay taxes there or live there? If Austin is dumb enough to think a 3rd attempt is going to work, then more power to them.

Yeah, some successful people got knocked down 8 times before they were successful, but how many used city money or incentives over and over and over again? You wanna waste your own money, I'm fine with that, just don't f with mine.

Shovelheads like you are why we can't have nice things here.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Cities provide incentives for new teams, and businesses, to come. It's how things work.

With Hunt and Foster behind this, it'll be done WAY nicer than any expected revenues will cover. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, maybe they're building it in anticipation of other, bigger games being played here.

They're wanting a 7,500 seater. The World Cup or any relevant tournament isn't going to host games there. Can you answer some of the questions I posted in my previous post? You seemed to skip those to talk about maybes and how incentives work.

They're wanting a 7,500 seater. The World Cup or any relevant tournament isn't going to host games there. Can you answer some of the questions I posted in my previous post? You seemed to skip those to talk about maybes and how incentives work.

I don't answer stupid questions.

It not small-mindedness. The reality is MLS has ZERO interest in bringing a MLS team to El Paso. If Mountain Star wants to invest millions in trying to attract something that just isn't going to happen, then they can do it all they want. They city shouldn't be contributing anything towards this lost cause. Getting minor league soccer teams and building a new soccer stadium isn't going to change MLS's interest in expanding here.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Asking how many events are held at SUP and Cohen and which relevant players played in the USL are stupid questions? Enjoy your 2nd division soccer team stadium. If there's any vote tied to financing it, I will be voting it down. Just like most sane people will.

It not small-mindedness. The reality is MLS has ZERO interest in bringing a MLS team to El Paso. If Mountain Star wants to invest millions in trying to attract something that just isn't going to happen, then they can do it all they want. They city shouldn't be contributing anything towards this lost cause. Getting minor league soccer teams and building a new soccer stadium isn't going to change MLS's interest in expanding here.

That's what I'm saying. Why do cities and tax payers have to give money to these millionaires dreams? Build your own stadium and see how it works out. A downtown stadium solely for the purpose of a USL team will be a colossal failure.

I'm not really a soccer fan, but I am 100% behind this and I would definitely go to some games. There are always going to people against things and will be negative and against change. In the long run these ventures will cost the average taxpayer very little, if anything at all.

The Fosters have been a godsend to the El Paso community and I have 100% faith in them. You have to start somewhere. Will El Paso ever get a Major League sports franchise? Who knows? But you have to start somewhere and maybe in 10, 20, 30 years it will happen.

SUP and the Plaza are 2 different things. One brought a AAA team here with 60+ dates and the Plaza is needed for performing arts and special movie events.

This is for minor league soccer. The USL's leading scorer this year has 1 CAP with the Jamaican national team and has never played in Europe. The USL is not major league anything and you will never see players of the caliber of Landon Donovan in their prime. They can play at Cohen Stadium and after 10 years of stability, we can talk of their own stadium.

SUP and the Plaza are 2 different things. One brought a AAA team here with 60+ dates and the Plaza is needed for performing arts and special movie events.

This is for minor league soccer. The USL's leading scorer this year has 1 CAP with the Jamaican national team and has never played in Europe. The USL is not major league anything and you will never see players of the caliber of Landon Donovan in their prime. They can play at Cohen Stadium and after 10 years of stability, we can talk of their own stadium.

The Sun Bowl has less than 10 events every year. Was that a waste too?

10 years? LOL

The Sun Bowl is super old and actually draws more than 3,000 a game. Plus, it holds the single greatest event in El Paso every year, the Sun Bowl on CBS. This USL stadium will never be on TV or praise El Paso like the Sun Bowl game does.

If posting truth and not get excited over a stadium for 3rd rate soccer players is negative, then okay. If you want to further the conversation with some good points, I'm all for that. Nobody here is talking UTEP football, so at least there's this.

You presume to tell a private enterprise where they will locate their business?

Also, do you own a home or property in El Paso?

Reactions: El Paso 777
Nope, but good luck finding property in DT El Paso and then knocking down the buildings without some hippies getting upset.

I won't be answering that question, since you avoided all of mine.

Nope, but good luck finding property in DT El Paso and then knocking down the buildings without some hippies getting upset.

I won't be answering that question, since you avoided all of mine.

Then I assume you own no property and therefore would pay nothing towards any incentives the city offers.

If so, your opinion means nothing.

Assume what you want. When you answer my questions, I will answer yours. Until then, consider this my last reply to you.

If posting truth and not get excited over a stadium for 3rd rate soccer players is negative, then okay. If you want to further the conversation with some good points, I'm all for that. Nobody here is talking UTEP football, so at least there's this.

What truth have you posted?

USL is a top level soccer league.

Lets get the 2nd google HQ to El Paso.....Dominos will start falling faster than Shovelman can write his next response. Its a dream but EPT would explode forward as would our property values! MLS would be begging to come here.

So much delusion in this thread. Good luck guys, hope your model wives and Ferraris are doing well.
Delusuion (a mental disorder) could be described as thinking that you can change another person's opinion when they disagree with you.

The opinion that its not unrealizable to achieve bigger and better things in El Paso is not 'delusional'. Having a hot wife, affording a high end car or even making bids for professional sports or companies are certainly not delusional by any means. They happen all the time in many walks of life. Maybe just not in yours...

Last edited:
With that self defeating mentality you are correct.

As far as Austin’s third attempt at USL one has to admire the resilience involved. If it didn’t work this way let’s try this other way. The point is you keep fighting and don’t give up. Some of the most successful people in the world were knocked down seven times but got up eight.

You have to admit that the idea of building an Estela Casas statue was damn funny, though.

I was excited that El Paso bid for an MLS team and disappointed that it probably won't happen. It's unfortunate that Just is never considered when it come to TV market especially when it comes to Soccer. With that said USL moved up in 2017 to Division 2 right below MLS. So yes it is equivalent to Triple A

Delusuion (a mental disorder) could be described as thinking that you can change another person's opinion when they disagree with you.

The opinion that its not unrealizable to achieve bigger and better things in El Paso is not 'delusional'. Having a hot wife, affording a high end car or even making bids for professional sports or companies are certainly not delusional by any means. They happen all the time in many walks of life. Maybe just not in yours...

Not trying to change their minds, just wanted some stats/evidence of a USL team being beneficial to a city's bottom line. All we've had is "you're small minded", "all these other cities did it", etc. Nothing of substance.

why do we have to be so negative. In order to grow we must
start somewhere. Right now we have someone who is willing
to invest.
I say just do it.

With that said USL moved up in 2017 to Division 2 right below MLS. So yes it is equivalent to Triple A

While it is true the USL is the D2 league and a level below MLS, it is not equivalent to Triple A. Most major leaguers play for a AAA team in their career, most MLSers do not. Aaron Judge, ARod, and Jeter all played in AAA. Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, and DeAndre Yedlin did not. No significant American player has spent significant time in the USL. They are mostly washouts and never will bes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT