ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso To Build Another Stadium

I did some research on Liga MX Ascenso attendance and it doesn’t look good for FC Juárez or the league. The league average is 5,541. The Bravos are averaging 5,447.

The Liga MX current average is 23,545. In contrast the MLS average for 2017 is at 21,957. While the 2017 USL average is at 4,301.
These figures are skewed heavily due to an inhumane draw by Atlanta of all places. Most of the top tier teams draw between 15 and 20K a game.

I probably didn’t express myself properly. Mistake in the sense that two decades after being built it has mostly sat unused due to its location and cheap build. The AAA organization didn’t want that stadium in their league. While it’s an ok venue it doesn’t work for minor league sports. Cities all across America from the minors to the college ranks to the professional leagues are figuring out the hard way that teams don’t want to play in old outdated stadiums. It really is heartbreaking when a city puts its foot down and says no mas and they lose their beloved team to another city. Or in the college world get left behind and forgotten in the CUSA/Sun Belt. That’s society today. No ones want to be driving around in a 1984 Ford Taurus while their neighbors have brand new SUV’s.

I meant dump that problem as in every time there’s news about a potential sports team someone wants to use Cohen Stadium. It will not work. Maybe for a division three or some other obscure league it would be a nice fit. 16 of the 19 USL stadiums were built or had major renovations after 2003. Most of them are located in downtown the way the league wants it. I don’t know if the downtown arenas are part of some major mastermind plan but that seems the norm for any new city wanting a team.

I really do hope Cohen Stadium gets repurposed into an amphitheater or a little league Super Bowl so we can stop mentioning it as a possible site of any future sports franchises.

I say only build it with expansion possibilities in the future to make another attempt in some years for MLS Expansion or Relocation. If not I don't care about a USL Soccer team still going in 2025.

I say only build it with expansion possibilities in the future to make another attempt in some years for MLS Expansion or Relocation. If not I don't care about a USL Soccer team still going in 2025.
What if there is a relegation/ascension type deal in place by then?

What if there is a relegation/ascension type deal in place by then?
If this is a vehicle put in place to eventually get an MLS team I'm in and hope EP, Juarez, LC support it like the Chihuahuas and we show hunger for an MLS team, cause MLS is really El Paso only future chance at a Professional Team

Reactions: axingfools1
Also Austin's mayor will not use city taxes to fund the stadium because he probably knows soccer is very risky in this region of the US. El Paso should follow this too with our plans for a USL stadium.

http://remezcla.com/features/sports/mls-columbus-crew-austin/
Interesting Article about Columbus possibly moving to Austin and it makes mention of El Paso USL Team and future MLS hopes
Austin and EP are too far apart to have any effect on each other. Totally different markets and fans. Its the TV market and lower than average household incomes that hurt El Paso in the eyes of MLS (and some El Pasoens). I dont think USL will thrive enough here to push for MLS, however I think MLS would thrive here immediately if given the chance (and that is despite the ticket prices).

I believe it's "They will play in Southwest University Park until their stadium is built". Max 1 year I would guess...

That is smart on their part. Just like The Chihuahuas, buy the team and put pressure on the city to get a stadium done. If they did it the other way around we would be waiting forever.

Reactions: axingfools1
Ledford said they will have talks about a new stadium in 'the months and years to come.' I think they want to see if thing is actually going to work first.

At the same time, the city drags its feet on so many things. This multipurpose arena talk has been going on since 2004 if not longer? No way this ownership group could wait for a stadium and then try to bring a franchise to EP.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT