ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso To Build Another Stadium

Right, so if you were a banker and I come to you asking to loan me money for a sports bar, are you going to go based on figures I give you or would you go off figures your people did? Of course, you would do your own fact finding.

Still looking for a $100 million USL soccer stadium already built that has been beneficial to the city.

Right, so if you were a banker and I come to you asking to loan me money for a sports bar, are you going to go based on figures I give you or would you go off figures your people did? Of course, you would do your own fact finding.

Still looking for a $100 million USL soccer stadium already built that has been beneficial to the city.

You expect the city to fund the study?

Of course, the city has to comb through the numbers and assumptions and vet the firm that did the study, but they're not going to fund studies for every stadium pitch that comes along.

And no one is talking about a $100M stadium here.

SUP cost 78 million and that was 3-4 years ago and the city can't even get their own arena built. You said Foster/Hunt do things first rate, so this stadium is going to be super cheap then?

I think the Louisville stadium is about $40M. I think Foster and Hunt will do it first-rate, but for less than SUP cost.

While it is true the USL is the D2 league and a level below MLS, it is not equivalent to Triple A. Most major leaguers play for a AAA team in their career, most MLSers do not. Aaron Judge, ARod, and Jeter all played in AAA. Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, and DeAndre Yedlin did not. No significant American player has spent significant time in the USL. They are mostly washouts and never will bes.
I recall 2 or 3 USL players players ng for US Men's National team this past year

You wanna waste your own money, I'm fine with that, just don't f with mine.

Wow I didn't know you put that much money into the system.
Why don't we do something with you money you can tell them to do
what ever you want and with the little money a lot of us put in the system
we can help build the stadium to improve our quality of life. If we do that
you can have yours and we can have ours.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Did you guys get the email from Mountain Star?

DfJ8vZsNhpZzBTKfAQdnExpbgQkvDLJtTkH_qGHPhFsXNTGo8957Wwj77lcSqvXSgxg0WUjQ0W1GIS0Qs3If4iRYij89ITsKWSU-coZ6FnWgU3jVoorJXgMGTkW8Krg_i3Fl8PJFJqGxFyU=s0-d-e1-ft

UNITED SOCCER LEAGUE SURVEY

MountainStar Sports Group has retained CAA ICON, a nationally recognized sports management consulting firm, to evaluate the potential demand and support for a United Soccer League (USL) team in El Paso. The USL is Division II, the second tier of U.S. Soccer.

As a valued member of the El Paso community, you are invited, and encouraged, to participate in a survey regarding the potential project. The survey is intended to help us understand your opinion and potential interest in a USL team in El Paso. Your input and feedback will be essential in assisting the potential ownership group in their long-term planning efforts.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY

Please do not use the “BACK” button in the survey. For more information, please contact CAA ICON at ElPasoUSL@caaicon.com.

Thank you for your participation in the survey. Should you not be able to click on the link, please copy and past the following link: https://CAAICON.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6mxXrI7StqSZ38x

Am too lazy to read the thread. Did anyone mention Cohen stadium as a possible location? Soccer IS the future. We need to build a stadium to support and nurture community interest in it. I used to go to Patriots games all the time when the were at Dudley and then when they went to the finals of the US Open Cup. loved it. I also followed the Indios when they played at Canutillo for a couple of years. I wish we had a real team again.

Did you guys get the email from Mountain Star?

DfJ8vZsNhpZzBTKfAQdnExpbgQkvDLJtTkH_qGHPhFsXNTGo8957Wwj77lcSqvXSgxg0WUjQ0W1GIS0Qs3If4iRYij89ITsKWSU-coZ6FnWgU3jVoorJXgMGTkW8Krg_i3Fl8PJFJqGxFyU=s0-d-e1-ft

UNITED SOCCER LEAGUE SURVEY

MountainStar Sports Group has retained CAA ICON, a nationally recognized sports management consulting firm, to evaluate the potential demand and support for a United Soccer League (USL) team in El Paso. The USL is Division II, the second tier of U.S. Soccer.

As a valued member of the El Paso community, you are invited, and encouraged, to participate in a survey regarding the potential project. The survey is intended to help us understand your opinion and potential interest in a USL team in El Paso. Your input and feedback will be essential in assisting the potential ownership group in their long-term planning efforts.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY

Please do not use the “BACK” button in the survey. For more information, please contact CAA ICON at ElPasoUSL@caaicon.com.

Thank you for your participation in the survey. Should you not be able to click on the link, please copy and past the following link: https://CAAICON.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6mxXrI7StqSZ38x

I got it.

Looks like the Columbus Crew are moving to Austin, so down goes Austin's USL team and San Antonio's MLS hopes.

Well hell, was Austin on the MLS expansion list? EP should scrap the "mutipurpose arena" and use that money to build an MLS stadium and go after the Crew! The issue in Columbus is a stadium right? If our arena can't hold sporting events then its a waste anyway...A good MLS team with a star or two from outside the U.S. would do awesome here IMO.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Well hell, was Austin on the MLS expansion list? EP should scrap the "mutipurpose arena" and use that money to build an MLS stadium and go after the Crew! The issue in Columbus is a stadium right? If our arena can't hold sporting events then its a waste anyway...A good MLS team with a star or two from outside the U.S. would do awesome here IMO.
Scenarios like this is exactly why I hate negative folks shooting down any El Paso advancement with the “never going to happen” mentality. Austin was told no by the MLS regarding an expansion team. That didn’t deter them from continuing to work towards that ultimate goal of having an MLS team. While this might be a leverage move by Columbus to get Ohio to build a new stadium it might also not be a bluff and Austin does end up with a team. Right now they are the biggest city without a professional team. Soon it will be El Paso if this deal goes through. If we show support and success for the USL team we never know what MLS team in the future might use our name as leverage. And who knows we might just end up with a team.

Scenarios like this is exactly why I hate negative folks shooting down any El Paso advancement with the “never going to happen” mentality. Austin was told no by the MLS regarding an expansion team. That didn’t deter them from continuing to work towards that ultimate goal of having an MLS team. While this might be a leverage move by Columbus to get Ohio to build a new stadium it might also not be a bluff and Austin does end up with a team. Right now they are the biggest city without a professional team. Soon it will be El Paso if this deal goes through. If we show support and success for the USL team we never know what MLS team in the future might use our name as leverage. And who knows we might just end up with a team.
I just couldn't care less about a USL team. I care just enough to watch the US National Team, but I've never sat and watched even a MLS game because I just don't care. If El Paso did manage to get a MLS franchise, I would start to care and would support that. But for USL, eh... I just can't bring myself to care.

Reactions: TrojanMiner
I just couldn't care less about a USL team. I care just enough to watch the US National Team, but I've never sat and watched even a MLS game because I just don't care. If El Paso did manage to get a MLS franchise, I would start to care and would support that. But for USL, eh... I just can't bring myself to care.
That’s understandable since I feel that same way about baseball. Sure I’ve gone to a few Chihuahua games and I keep up with them sporadically but I just can’t get myself to become a baseball fan. The Chihuahuas aren’t hurting because of me. The new USL team likewise wouldn’t hurt because of you.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Is there any way that FC Juarez could be branded into also being a joint Borderland/El Paso team? Would rules allow some regular season games to be played in El Paso?

If they can reach the top level, then the Mexican 1st Division ranks higher than MLS. I'm sure El Paso would really get behind a joint team at that high level. That could help get a new stadium as well. Truth be told, going to a USL game doesn't hold a ton of appeal by itself, but going to four or five 1st Division Regular Season FC Juarez/FC Borderland games being played in El Paso is much more appealing.

Reactions: jdubb66
If they can reach the top level, then the Mexican 1st Division ranks higher than MLS.
Ha, Juarez can't even support a 1st-division team. The first step of a hypothetical joint Juarez-El Paso 1st-division team would be for Juarez to have a 1st-division team.

I would say build a 15 to 20k seat stadium. They have to think about the
future. We have to proof that we have the facilities for MLS.

Reactions: axingfools1
No one's mentioned this and Mountain Star should have been smart and presented MLS with a pitch called Paso Del Norte FC and adding El Paso to the Juarez team and trying to move to MLS. I understand it's a US league, but there are Canada teams in it and Juarez and El Paso are on the border it makes since. That way both cities feel like it's their team and games could be played half in EP half in Juarez? Maybe I'm off but I'm just spit balln

It's sickening that these franchises continue to ask for public funding for stadiums to replace perfectly good structures. Columbus built a soccer specific stadium in 99 and now it's no longer feasible. The Texas Rangers gettIng a new stadium, Atlanta replaced the Georgia Dome and Turner Field. The Diamondbacks want new digs.

Now you have a lower level league like USL 2 demanding soccer specific stadiums in downtowns in order to get teams.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The reason why Canada is allowed to have an MLS team is because there is no professional soccer league in that country. The CONCACAF will not allow a Mexico team to compete in the MLS or an American team to compete in the Liga MX.

San Diego is in hot pursuit of an MLS team. Across the border from them is Primera Division Liga MX team.

I do like Haskins Fan idea of building a 15-20k seat stadium. We should do what San Antonio did when building Toyota Field. That field seats 8,000 which is perfect for USL but it can be expanded to 18,000 in three phases. We need to be proactive like that. I don’t want to hear in a decade that we need to build another soccer specific stadium cuz the current one is too small for MLS.

Is there any way that FC Juarez could be branded into also being a joint Borderland/El Paso team? Would rules allow some regular season games to be played in El Paso?.

Yes, rules prevent Mexican League teams from playing games in El Paso. FIFA will not allow it because the US has MLS. If Mexico did not have a league then Mexican cities can be in the US with FIFA permission and vice versa.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Ha, Juarez can't even support a 1st-division team. The first step of a hypothetical joint Juarez-El Paso 1st-division team would be for Juarez to have a 1st-division team.

At the moment they are tied for first place. Yes, you have to earn promotion which isn't easy to do, but this is only their 3rd year and they have made the play-offs in each of their first two years and they look to be in good shape to make the first half play-offs again this year. Not sure about your comment of Juarez not supporting them, but Mountain Star sure seems to be running them really well and they appear to be doing some really good things with them, especially considering that this is only their 3rd year.

At the moment they are tied for first place. Yes, you have to earn promotion which isn't easy to do, but this is only their 3rd year and they have made the play-offs in each of their first two years and they look to be in good shape to make the first half play-offs again this year. Not sure about your comment of Juarez not supporting them, but Mountain Star sure seems to be running them really well and they appear to be doing some really good things with them, especially considering that this is only their 3rd year.
We'll see. That other Juarez team earned promotion for a year and then was demoted.

I did some research on Liga MX Ascenso attendance and it doesn’t look good for FC Juárez or the league. The league average is 5,541. The Bravos are averaging 5,447.

The Liga MX current average is 23,545. In contrast the MLS average for 2017 is at 21,957. While the 2017 USL average is at 4,301.

Juárez had a hard time luring talent because of all the violence during that time as well. I remember reading where players hated living in Juarez and they wouldn’t bring their families because of all the kidnappings and extortion.

Ok Good Points Thanks, but yes if Mountain Star is looking for 7,500 seat stadium with no potential to expand to at least 18,000 then they have given up on MLS even in the future and I wouldn't support that.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Ok Good Points Thanks, but yes if Mountain Star is looking for 7,500 seat stadium with no potential to expand to at least 18,000 then they have given up on MLS even in the future and I wouldn't support that.

This. Not for a new stadium. I will go to some games regardless, but building a new stadium for 3,000 a game is dumb.

Also, those talking about a MLS team relocating here. Um good luck. The Crew owner had Austin as a relocation possibility when he bought the team. The only option. MLS is not coming here. El Paso is no Austin.

Last edited:
This. Not for a new stadium. I will go to some games regardless, but building a new stadium for 3,000 a game is dumb.

Also, those talking about a MLS team relocating here. Um good luck. The Crew owner had Austin as a relocation possibility when he bought the team. The only option. MLS is not coming here. El Paso is no Austin.

It would be very silly to build a stadium that big unless there is a great chance that an MLS team would come here (which is not the case at all).

Exactly. So basically the USL team should give it a go at the SAC or Cohen for awhile. Who knows if EP will even support them. Didn't give 2 craps about the Patriots.

Exactly. So basically the USL team should give it a go at the SAC or Cohen for awhile. Who knows if EP will even support them. Didn't give 2 craps about the Patriots.

I meant it doesn't make sense to built a stadium that holds 18,000 people.

The goal is to revitalize Downtown, which is why Southwest University Park was built Downtown. Downtown will look very nice with the soccer field and the arena. You can't compare the USL to the Patriots.

The main reason why the Austin Aztexs failed is because they played in a high school stadium. The school district does not allow alcohol sales thus removing a big chunk of profit from the team. Sadly a reason why to attend the game.

I don’t know if you’ve attended any of the soccer games at SUP but frankly it sucks. It’s designed for baseball not soccer. Same with holding basketball games at football stadiums. The sight lines are terrible. I’m not sure how much money it would cost to renovate and turn Cohen Stadium into a soccer field. If it’s in the 10-20 million dollar range then a better investment would be to use one of the properties downtown owned by one of the Mountain Star families.

I don’t know who’s mistake it was to build Cohen Stadium in the north east but I’m tired of the old regime always trying to dump that problem on our generation.

Ha...mistake? Corona, the Diablos needed a new home. The land was going unused. It was cheap and a great location. It sits right off the freeway and easily accessible from all parts of town using the freeway system. It has a huge parking lot and was designed well.....at the time. It was HIGHLY successful for at least 10 years while Paul owned it. Unfortunately, it wasn't well maintained and fell behind the times.
It was opened in 1990, so that would 27 years ago? So unless you are 10, your generation isn't getting dumped on. 17 years ago they were still successful. New owners that already had planned taking a highly successful franchise to another city just milked it for money until they could move.
If a local guy or group had purchased the team, I believe things would be different at Cohen.
There were no other options in affiliated ball back then. It's really no ones fault these days in regards to Cohen. How many old buildings now sit unused in all parts of town? Should they all be ignored because "your generation" shouldn't be dumped on? Maybe Durangarito should just left in ruins so "your generation" shouldn't be burdened with it?
People keep wanting to do this or that with Cohen, mainly stubborn old people that don't want to improve downtown. It's a baseball stadium for petes sake. Spend some dough and change the configuration. It can and will succeed if done right. I am not one to insist on using Cohen just for the sake of using it. I firmly believe if a location isn't worth redoing, the why not just tear it down? A vacant lot is much better to look at than a boarded up building.

And yes, today's generation IS responsible for fixing the past eyesores just as we did before you.

Ha...mistake? Corona, the Diablos needed a new home. The land was going unused. It was cheap and a great location. It sits right off the freeway and easily accessible from all parts of town using the freeway system. It has a huge parking lot and was designed well.....at the time. It was HIGHLY successful for at least 10 years while Paul owned it. Unfortunately, it wasn't well maintained and fell behind the times.
It was opened in 1990, so that would 27 years ago? So unless you are 10, your generation isn't getting dumped on. 17 years ago they were still successful. New owners that already had planned taking a highly successful franchise to another city just milked it for money until they could move.
If a local guy or group had purchased the team, I believe things would be different at Cohen.
There were no other options in affiliated ball back then. It's really no ones fault these days in regards to Cohen. How many old buildings now sit unused in all parts of town? Should they all be ignored because "your generation" shouldn't be dumped on? Maybe Durangarito should just left in ruins so "your generation" shouldn't be burdened with it?
People keep wanting to do this or that with Cohen, mainly stubborn old people that don't want to improve downtown. It's a baseball stadium for petes sake. Spend some dough and change the configuration. It can and will succeed if done right. I am not one to insist on using Cohen just for the sake of using it. I firmly believe if a location isn't worth redoing, the why not just tear it down? A vacant lot is much better to look at than a boarded up building.

And yes, today's generation IS responsible for fixing the past eyesores just as we did before you.

Cohen will get used for something, but it’ll get scraped not repurposed. I think it would be a perfect location for a new water park ala Wet and Wild.

Mountain Star clearly prefers downtown for the USL team.

Cohen will get used for something, but it’ll get scraped not repurposed. I think it would be a perfect location for a new water park ala Wet and Wild.

Mountain Star clearly prefers downtown for the USL team.
In order for a water park to be located there, an outside company would need to show interest. There has been none. It would be cool though...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT