ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ELP Times sports changes

He got to follow some legends in El Paso sports over the past three decades. It is tough to make it as a sports journalist anywhere in this world even if you are in a metro area with a plethora of pro and college teams. Unless you make it to the big league's the pay is eh and the B.S. knee high and "egos and aholes are part of the deal". The up side, you make good lasting friendships, get to say "I was there", get to meet people who make things happen out of nothing and in relation to that folks from all different type of backgrounds. The things that have no monetary value but make you a better soul. Knight got to live that kind of sports writers life.

Reactions: HeWore62
Sorry to see. Hate to see Bill go and sorry he had his hands tied in recent years. Good man.
Is there a report on who will cover men's basketball and soccer at UTEP?

Since newspapers are a dying breed, this is happening everywhere. Gannett bought the Times back a few years ago. Their claim to fame that day was they were the only newspaper company making a solid profit and trending upward. Since then, they have cut a bazillion positions and consolidated most functions. They are flat out pushing print into a dumpster. (I still believe print can survive in a different form) Since their online presence sucks so badly and they can't generate the revenue they need from online ads, they cut more and more positions to save money. They own all of the southern new mexico papers as well and barely anyone works in those locations either. No local presence in so many towns leaves us to only follow local tv crap.
I would bet they don't replace any of these guys and sub contract work out. No salaries....no benifits....so vacations....more profit.

Reactions: groundrounds
The reporting from The El Paso Times became non existent over the last couple of years. If it was due to new ownership of these guys just getting older I don’t know. Maybe a combination of both.

Times has been in Tailspin since 2008, layout is done in Phoenix, canned stories and articles from USA today. Customer Assistance is in LA. Every story is a day or two old. Now we have few if any local beat writers. 50 bucks a month is a lot to spend for 2-3 min of reading material a day which I can get free.

Times has been in Tailspin since 2008, layout is done in Phoenix, canned stories and articles from USA today. Customer Assistance is in LA. Every story is a day or two old. Now we have few if any local beat writers. 50 bucks a month is a lot to spend for 2-3 min of reading material a day which I can get free.

I consider my subscription charitable giving.

It’s sad because they limit you to a couple of free articles a month for free I deliberately avoid visiting their site. That has to drive down web traffic even more.

It’s sad because they limit you to a couple of free articles a month for free I deliberately avoid visiting their site. That has to drive down web traffic even more.

Just do private browsing and you can read as many articles as you like.

The Times this morning.......no miners (open CUSA play tonight), no chihuahuas (padres making trade moves) no locomotives (any new signings) just a nice article on San Eli soccer written a few days ago. The rest are canned stories found on the net.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Gannet is forming all their properties in their image. A lot of stories will be taken from USA Today so the cost is minimal if any. Look at all their sites web pages. All formatted the same.
For some stupid reason, they don't think small towns/cities care about local news.

Is that Joe Munch guy still around? Letting an Aggie homer trash and ridicule UTEP basketball everyday in the hallowed pages of the EL PASO TIMES is something that could only happen in El Paso.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT