ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Juarez -- do you go? If so, where?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
I recently had a very nice meal at Los Arcos. I also like El Tragadero for beef.

Where do you go, if you go?

Reactions: utep-piggy
Haven't been there in a long time. I have no reason to go. What is there to do?

I could do all that in EL Paso besides the bull fight. No reason to go to Juaarez. What has Jaurez done to attract tourist lately. Are they building and arena or adding a Dave n Busters?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I recently had a very nice meal at Los Arcos. I also like El Tragadero for beef.

Where do you go, if you go?

You can go to the Plaza de Toros in Downtown, Av. Juarez is renovated and many traditional bars have reopen like the Mariachis bar, you have the traditional Kentucky Bar and have a classical margarita, there's the Viva Mexico Restaurant, el Rodeo and San Martin at the Pronaf Area. You have several bars and night clubs at Avenida Gomez Morin, also at Av. Tomás Fernández and calle de los Portales. You have several good sushi restaurants like el Kinsui, Katsura, The Sushi Place at Missiones shopping center, you can also go to Cinepolis at Missiones and watch movies in 3XD, 4XD or VIP. You have Maria Chuchena Restaurante, Cuartito Azul(argentine), Abeline Restaurant(italian), or Carusos, Tabascos etc etc etc. play some Golf at El Campestre. Go to the Trepachanga Park at the Cerro Bola and do Hiking, Tirolesa or Tiro al arco, go Mountain Biking at "Don Rayo state park". Go to las Dunas de Samalayuka, just be careful with all those SUV's and 4 wheels that could run you over. You can also visit the Museo de la Revolución at Downtown, you can now walk all the way to the Cathedral because the Av. 16 de Septiembre goes underneath. You can go to the Museo del Chamizal, Museo del Pronaf, or I highly highly recommend the Museo de la Rodadora which is state of the Art, at Parque Central. http://www.larodadora.org/ you can walk the park, there some lagoons with a lot of ducks, goose, turtles, they have a giraffe etc etc. There are many things to do.

Last edited:
You can go to the Plaza de Toros in Downtown, Av. Juarez is renovated and many traditional bars have reopen like the Mariachis bar, you have the traditional Kentucky Bar and have a classical margarita, there's the Viva Mexico Restaurant, el Rodeo and San Martin at the Pronaf Area. You have several bars and night clubs at Avenida Gomez Morin, also at Av. Tomás Fernández and calle de los Portales. You have several good sushi restaurants like el Kinsui, Katsura, The Sushi Place at Missiones shopping center, you can also go to Cinepolis at Missiones and watch movies in 3XD, 4XD or VIP. You have Maria Chuchena Restaurante, Cuartito Azul(argentine), Abeline Restaurant(italian), or Carusos, Tabascos etc etc etc. play some Golf at El Campestre. Go to the Trepachanga Park at the Cerro Bola and do Hiking, Tirolesa or Tiro al arco, go Mountain Biking at "Don Rayo state park". Go to las Dunas de Samalayuka, just be careful with all those SUV's and 4 wheels that could run you over. You can also visit the Museo de la Revolución at Downtown, you can now walk all the way to the Cathedral because the Av. 16 de Septiembre goes underneath. You can go to the Museo del Chamizal, Museo del Pronaf, or I highly highly recommend the Museo de la Rodadora which is state of the Art, at Parque Central. http://www.larodadora.org/ you can walk the park, there some lagoons with a lot of ducks, goose, turtles, they have a giraffe etc etc. There are many things to do.

I've done several of those things, but many I haven't. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: alvinosports
I could do all that in EL Paso besides the bull fight. No reason to go to Juaarez. What has Jaurez done to attract tourist lately. Are they building and arena or adding a Dave n Busters?

I just think it's fun and different.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I am not trying to convince you, but if you think the food is better in El Paso, you are crazy. And the atmosphere is totally different as well. Much better service, much better prices. But you don't need to go, stay here.

Nice review, done most of these places, and they are a great experience.

Me and the wife go all the time to eat and take people for beers. My Spanish isn't the best and I have no family there but Juarez is a pretty cool big city. We usually walk over and now they have uber so it's easier to get around if you don't like to drive in Juarez. In general the food, entertainment, service and price are far superior to El Paso. We are lucky to have it next door. I know they've had a lot of pain recently but they are our sister city.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I am not trying to convince you, but if you think the food is better in El Paso, you are crazy. And the atmosphere is totally different as well. Much better service, much better prices. But you don't need to go, stay here.

I actually have family in Juarez and have grown up in Juarez. Most of the best restaurants from Juarez have moved to EL Paso. EL paso has malls and places to go hike and take dirt bikes and rvs. I need more than that to wait 1hr in the bridge go and visit.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I actually have family in Juarez and have grown up in Juarez. Most of the best restaurants from Juarez have moved to EL Paso. EL paso has malls and places to go hike and take dirt bikes and rvs. I need more than that to wait 1hr in the bridge go and visit.
Like I said, not trying to convince you, and I am not saying that EP does not have things to do or nice food. But you are experiencing just half of what this great area has to offer.
So enjoy your half, I will enjoy both sides.

If been at the bridge is the issue, you can leave your car parked in El Paso, cross the bridge on foot and take an Uber to wherever you wanna go. Or if you have family they can pick you up. Even though we're not trying to convince you.

I also forgot to mentioned the Bravos Soccer Team, while they're still around.......

Last edited:
If been at the bridge is the issue, you can leave your car parked in El Paso, cross the bridge on foot and take an Uber to wherever you wanna go. Or if you have family they can pick you up. Even though we're not trying to convince you.

I also forgot to mentioned the Bravos Soccer Team, while they're still around.......

If it wasn't for family then no reason to visit really.I really wish there was. If only Juarez could have beach .

Might Juarez lose the Bravos?

Just went to Martino's and Kentucky Club for the first time in 25 years back in early October. Man, has it changed.

Was there, probably like many of you, both days of the weekend and usually once during the week from 85-90. Good times! No...great times!

Sorry, still way too dangerous. I kinda like this living thing I'm doing. Don't give me the crap it's safe now. When you can buy off the cops, it doesn't make me feel they are in my best interest.

Back in the day, I went at least once a month. While I think the food is good, I did get food poisoning numerous times, yet I still went.

There are plenty of great restaurants here.
No thanks.

Taco Tote, Barrigas, ....help me out

Never the same though. Most close down a few make it like the ones mentioned. Id say the best transition goes to Flautas La Cometa. Place is like the Juarez location. Taco Tote is pretty good and close as well. Not a huge fan of christosomo's in J town but the el paso one is also damn close to the Jtown style.

For example I recently took the inlaws for breakfast during the week to Barrigas. In addition to their menu being different the waiter (wearing a headset) came over and brought a free basket of sweet bread to go with the coffee. Not a big deal but service and food is on another level. The Maria Chuchena that came over an closed on the west side was nothing like the one in Juarez. So many busts that closed to name.

People mention El Tragadero. God damn that place is good. Best steak for your money bar none.

Reactions: unihorn
There is that nice seafood place that moved from Juarez. I think it's called Dela Mar. They have 2 locations that I know of.

I forgot to mentioned the Parque Bordunda's Hot Dogs like Garibaldis and two others that are right there at the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Well hopefully not but you know how the Cobras first disappeared, then the Indios, so just enjoy them while they last.

I don't think the bravos will be leaving at all since the team is owned by Alejandra Foster and Mountain Star Sports. They have promised to keep the Chihuahuas and Bravos in the El Paso/Juarez area.

Like many here I stopped going to Juarez many years ago. It's a shame the drug violence keeps many of us away. I used to like going there for the great food and night life.

Other restaurants that have opened up in El Paso are Villa Del Mar, Carnitas Queretaro, Corralito's, Garufa's, Cuartito Azul and El Toro Bronco.

See, I was clueless that some of the places mentioned came from Juarez. I love cristosomo. I guess I should have figured since they never talk to me in english, but always get my order perfect.
Carnitas Queretaro is awesome. Again I didn't know where they originated.
Corralitos? are you kidding me?
El Toro Bronco opened in the hood (northeast) and is always packed.

I gotta write these places down so I can try them all.....

I used to LOVE going to Barrigas in Juarez. Tapiquena de rez was to die for. (got food poisoning there a few times but it never stopped me) I tried it on Sunland and the food just wasn't that good, plus they charged WAAAAAYYYY too much...

I don't think the bravos will be leaving at all since the team is owned by Alejandra Foster and Mountain Star Sports. They have promised to keep the Chihuahuas and Bravos in the El Paso/Juarez area.

Like many here I stopped going to Juarez many years ago. It's a shame the drug violence keeps many of us away. I used to like going there for the great food and night life.

Other restaurants that have opened up in El Paso are Villa Del Mar, Carnitas Queretaro, Corralito's, Garufa's, Cuartito Azul and El Toro Bronco.

The situation was bad from 2008 through 2011, right now is a very different story. Things are back to normal.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT