ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

I understand most everybody’s frustration right now. It’s hard when we are hearing crickets about signings or commitments, and the school up the highway has a new coach, and they are signing new players left and right. Hopefully, we will hear something after this weekend.
I agree with this, but it’s important to keep things in perspective.

That school up the road has been to 8 or 9 of the last 10 tourneys (something like that), and finally has a tourney win to boast about. Easy sell comparatively speaking. Stull, with Floyd aside, basically sank our ship.

Golding has himself to sell and may or may not be a good salesman, but that has little bearing compared to the program being sold. If I didn’t have affiliation with UTEP, I know who I’d go with if I was a recruit and had a choice between the two.

It’s gonna take a little while…for any coach…unless we get lucky and are the exception that NoWins refers to with frequency.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
So, he gets one year to get to the Dance, since it didn’t happen he’s gone?
Sorta harsh to me.
That’s the way I took it. His “year” is up. He gets one year?

I think he’s on the clock but anybody who thought he’d turn it all around in a year was setting themselves up for disappointment.

I’d say let year two play out and then fire away if one so desires. Gotta be kinda trigger happy to let the bullets fly already.
I'm referring to his recruiting. I have questioned that since he was hired. Both of you know that. It's been a looong drawn out discussion. When Golding came in he said he was going to try and win now. Now it's a rebuild and we still waiting on recruits. Corona summed it up a bit #392

I'm referring to his recruiting. I have questioned that since he was hired. Both of you know that. It's been a looong drawn out discussion. When Golding came in he said he was going to try and win now. Now it's a rebuild and we still waiting on recruits. Corona summed it up a bit #392
What I’m questioning is that you’re so bent on judging his recruiting up to this point. He had a short cycle last year. There is 75% of the portal remaining this year. If one didn’t know better, your narrative makes it sound like he’s struck the **** out like a blind man.

Axing, I know you’re a smart guy, and I know you bleed orange. If you feel you have enough data/evidence to start making these assertions that recruiting has been so terrible, knock yourself out. Who am I to try and convince you to give the man at least a couple years?

The fact that you say Corona summed it up in post 392 highlights my point. He mentions “late in the recruiting process”. See, your narrative is misleading at best. How late in the recruiting process are we when 75% of the recruits are still available?

Again, knock yourself out. With that said, I’m really not trying to be a dikk!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
What I’m questioning is that you’re so bent on judging his recruiting up to this point. He had a short cycle last year. There is 75% of the portal remaining this year. If one didn’t know better, your narrative makes it sound like he’s struck the **** out like a blind man.

Axing, I know you’re a smart guy, and I know you bleed orange. If you feel you have enough data/evidence to start making these assertions that recruiting has been so terrible, knock yourself out. Who am I to try and convince you to give the man at least a couple years?

The fact that you say Corona summed it up in post 392 highlights my point. He mentions “late in the recruiting process”. See, your narrative is misleading at best. How late in the recruiting process are we when 75% of the recruits are still available?

Again, knock yourself out. With that said, I’m really not trying to be a dikk!
Hey I'm not trying to knock myself out or root against Golding. For all I know he is the next coach K. I just don't see it. I guess I'm just pissed. I'm not enamored by his coaching. His 'building relationships' thing was just BF'd by the transfer portal and his 'embracing' of the portal has sucked so far because we have little to nothing in return. Tell me what else I'm missing. I didnt feel this way a few weeks ago, but I do now. I'm open minded, but I have my ways.

BTW I think you misunderstood Corona's post.

Hey I'm not trying to knock myself out or root against Golding. For all I know he is the next coach K. I just don't see it. I guess I'm just pissed. I'm not enamored by his coaching. His 'building relationships' thing was just BF'd by the transfer portal and his 'embracing' of the portal has sucked so far because we have little to nothing in return. Tell me what else I'm missing. I didnt feel this way a few weeks ago, but I do now. I'm open minded, but I have my ways.

BTW I think you misunderstood Corona's post.
In a way last season he had 75% of the portal remaining to find one piece for a team that had a enough talent to challenge the top 3 for a conference title. He didn't find it and we chalked it up as it was because he didn't have an early recruiting cycle. What he exactly did he do with his early cycle this year if we're still depending on finding half the team but now with less time than what he had last season. We can't use the he has been recruiting so and so all year and building the relationships since almost all the portal players recently entered the trasnfer market.

He reminds me of a Barbee type of recruiter. Slowly develop the talent he has and see increasing results every year. Does that style still work in the NIL/portal era for a low major?

By end of year 2 it was evident that Terry was a good recruiter but not so great coach. I believe it will be fair to similarly judge Golding by the end of this upcoming season if the recruiting doesn't produce good enough results.

Good discussion. I will add a few random thoughts:

1. Although there are many guys in the portal, there is a much narrower subset of players UTEP can realistically attract or want, and who can actually play at this level (there are many D2 level guys in the portal). We haven't really seen any P5 guys who are looking to drop down for playing time linked to UTEP. To me, a guy like Hollins, who had true experience in the PAC 12, would be a solid addition at this point.
2. Golding only brought in one guy during the early signing period; I don't really count Evans as a true addition since he was never on scholarship. While many would have questioned Golding signing 3-4 guys early (recruiting over), in hindsight, it really would have helped now. This is where the portal makes things really difficult.
3. Golding needs to find a way to seal the deal with guys who come in on official visits. For example, we had Tae Hardy and Juwuan Newton in last week, but by all indications, they left without signing. I consider these guys safer prospects than the guys coming in this week from South Plains, since we already know both Hardy and Newton can produce at the D1 level. Quick edit: Deuce Turner also played and produced on the D1 level at Bucknell. Also, three years of eligibility, so he is a major target.
4. There is still time to bring some good players, but we have lots of holes. Realistically, Golding is looking at needing to bring in 4 starters. While recruiting will continue well into the summer, the number of quality guys who would consider playing for UTEP will continue to dwindle.
5. Losing Pierre is a big factor; not an excuse. Golding needs to find a way to overcome. I thought UTEP had a good shot at Jacob Wilson, and now I would bet he ends up at WSU with Pierre. Also, I can't see the 3 new guys who have signed as anything more than depth pieces. Maybe one of them will surprise, because there is definitely an opportunity for them to vie for significant playing time.

Last edited:
I was going to start another thread, but I will just put the question here.

So if Boum, Bryson Williams, and Jacob Cowing make it to the pros. Can Utep claim them? Can Utep consider them alumi?

I was going to start another thread, but I will just put the question here.

So if Boum, Bryson Williams, and Jacob Cowing make it to the pros. Can Utep claim them? Can Utep consider them alumi?
Unless Boum plays for another collegiate team, I think he’ll rep UTEP. Bryson had the most team success at Tech, so he’ll probably rep them. Cowing has pretty much always been an AZ kid so I would be surprised if he repped UTEP at all

That's a good point. Will there ever be another number retired at UTEP. Could be a bargaining chip. "Hey Boum, if you stay we'll retire your number."
Last number retired was #10 for Hardaway and that wasn't until years after he left (guys like Jeff Spillar and Gym Bice wore the number later)

Maybe Boum eventually gets the 2nd tier where players get recognized and have their name put up but not the number retired like Forbes,Maxey, Wolfram etc

Last number retired was #10 for Hardaway and that wasn't until years after he left (guys like Jeff Spillar and Gym Bice wore the number later)

Maybe Boum eventually gets the 2nd tier where players get recognized and have their name put up but not the number retired like Forbes,Maxey, Wolfram etc
I can't imagine retiring a number of a guy that transfered out, but that's just me.

It will be interesting to see if we EVER have another 4 year player who's good enough to have his or her number retired.

Boum had one good/decent year, and now has the option to leave for “greener pastures”…he barley learned to play the team game this year…yes he grew as a player and leader, but was mainly a “ball hogg” in the past and a selfish weak player. Let’s stop that conversation as he does not deserve to be in that class. Good luck to him regardless, he could get stronger and continue to grow as a player in future, and right situation.

Boum had one good/decent year, and now has the option to leave for “greener pastures”…he barley learned to play the team game this year…yes he grew as a player and leader, but was mainly a “ball hogg” in the past and a selfish weak player. Let’s stop that conversation as he does not deserve to be in that class. Good luck to him regardless, he could get stronger and continue to grow as a player in future, and right situation.
I wonder which seasoned troll this is? Seems to have experience.

Article from Kappy on the team -
“Why did UTEP’s best players decide to leave the program and enter the transfer portal?

The answer has nothing to do with Golding, his staff or the university.

They all played with Bryson Williams and saw what the former Miner forward did this past season at Texas Tech.

Boum has terrific high major programs offering him scholarships, and Verhoeven is reportedly considering an offer from Northwestern. Kennedy will likely receive a high major offer.”

Tydus was inspired by Bryson’s time at Tech, so he’s considering an offer from (15-16) Northwestern and their 1 all time NCAA appearance???

Article from Kappy on the team -
“Why did UTEP’s best players decide to leave the program and enter the transfer portal?

The answer has nothing to do with Golding, his staff or the university.

They all played with Bryson Williams and saw what the former Miner forward did this past season at Texas Tech.

Boum has terrific high major programs offering him scholarships, and Verhoeven is reportedly considering an offer from Northwestern. Kennedy will likely receive a high major offer.”

Tydus was inspired by Bryson’s time at Tech, so he’s considering an offer from (15-16) Northwestern and their 1 all time NCAA appearance???

Right and what about some of the other role players like Saterfield?

I can't imagine retiring a number of a guy that transfered out, but that's just me.

It will be interesting to see if we EVER have another 4 year player who's good enough to have his or her number retired.
I agree 100% with you Axing. If there is no loyalty to stay with the university that gave you a shot, then they should not have their number hung in the rafters or retired. Yes, that probably means we will not have that happen again at UTEP.

I agree 100% with you Axing. If there is no loyalty to stay with the university that gave you a shot, then they should not have their number hung in the rafters or retired. Yes, that probably means we will not have that happen again at UTEP.
Number retirements are very rare as it is at UTEP. It says something when Jim Barnes is probably the LEAST accomplished of the 7 players (5 numbers) who have received the honor and he was amazing.

The honored players whose numbers are not retired is less exclusive, but still not an easy task. Not sure what happened to the Omar Thomas banner, but for now they end at Wolfram, who played over 20 years ago.

Looking at the list it looks like all of them played at least 2 years and finished at UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT