ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Really wanted to go, but my daughter’s district track meet was tonight,

What did the team look like.

Was at the Spring Showcase. It was a practice. Not a game or scrimmage. But I'm impressed at how Dimel is able to keep guys coming back year after year. There are alot of good players, they're definitely better than last year because they're bigger and execute better. Better on Defense in year 2 of Peveto's system. Hopefully another bowl

Well then there is no reason to think Sessoms will want to come either. This is going to be a 2-3 year attempt at a rebuild, and then if there is any success everybody will just leave anyway.

When things become only about money, then disparity worsens. It's our fault though. We put athletes and coaches on such a high pedestal.
I don't understand what UTEP can do? As soon as any player shows promise, they will just enter the transfer portal in search of a "name school".

If we develop or find someone like Boum, they will just leave. If this transfer portal is not tweeked, this could really be the end of the non power schools being able to compete. Sure, you will have a few pop up here and there, and they then will face the same issue as their best players will then transfer, and they have to start from ground zero again.

What is UTEP or any similar team supposed to do?

I don't understand what UTEP can do? As soon as any player shows promise, they will just enter the transfer portal in search of a "name school".

If we develop or find someone like Boum, they will just leave. If this transfer portal is not tweeked, this could really be the end of the non power schools being able to compete. Sure, you will have a few pop up here and there, and they then will face the same issue as their best players will then transfer, and they have to start from ground zero again.

Yep. Golding needs to just go after transfers that will be burning their one time transfer. Make UTEP into a transfer destination like some other programs do. No reason to go after HS kids or 'diamonds in the rough' that will just leave if successful. Easier said than done though now that others schools/coaches will be forced to do the same.

This ****ing sux for CUSA in general. I know many keep saying this is the new reality, and you can’t argue with that, but college basketball is really starting to suck ballz.
The rich get richer in terms of money and talent and the rest of us sink. If this keeps us and it really impacts us, I might give up on college sports.
Very disappointing!

That’s where Utep needs to start throwing nil money at basketball players…. A lot easier to pay 8-10 than football

The rich get richer in terms of money and talent and the rest of us sink. If this keeps us and it really impacts us, I might give up on college sports.
Very disappointing!
St Peters finished 2nd in the MAAC, won their conference tournament, and made the Elite 8 as a 15 seed. Stop blaming the “portal”. MTSU went from worst to first too. NMSU finds a way to get good players year in and year out. Everyone deals with the portal.

St Peters finished 2nd in the MAAC, won their conference tournament, and made the Elite 8 as a 15 seed. Stop blaming the “portal”. MTSU went from worst to first too. NMSU finds a way to get good players year in and year out. Everyone deals with the portal.
Not like this. It will be very different for the next few years with a high volume of players burning their one year transfer. It will eventually slow down a tad, but the next few years will be really rough. Trying to compare 'lightning in a bottle' from St. Peter's to the difficulty mid majors now face is pointless. St. Peter's, NMSU, UTEP have all been decimated.

Not like this. It will be very different for the next few years with a high volume of players burning their one year transfer. It will eventually slow down a tad, but the next few years will be really rough. Trying to compare 'lightning in a bottle' from St. Peter's to the difficulty mid majors now face is pointless. St. Peter's, NMSU, UTEP have all been decimated.
My point is, I don’t care if we cycle through 13 players every year. I just want to win. Other schools can do it, facing the same issues.

St Peters reached the pinnacle of their basketball program. I would bet my life they will never reach it again. If SPC can do it, why can’t UTEP?

My point is, I don’t care if we cycle through 13 players every year. I just want to win. Other schools can do it, facing the same issues.

St Peters reached the pinnacle of their basketball program. I would bet my life they will never reach it again. If SPC can do it, why can’t UTEP?
Maybe we already did and like SPC we never will reach it again.

Not facing the same issues of the one time transfer portal since it just started.

And I agree with Corona. UTEP already has.

We may call ourselves D1 but the reality is we are the development league for the Power 5 and just a step up from JC.
I mentioned that earlier in this thread. The new transfer rules and athletes being able to sign endorsement deals was a Raw deal for Mid Majors!!!! The AAC teams heading to the Big 12 hit the Lotto for sure! Even if Utep ever got picked to go to MWC one day, it would still be the same situation besides the Bigger TV contract.

At this point, luck will play as much a part of winning, especially at the level SPC did, as anything else. It’ll take the perfect confluence of circumstances/events. Like Corona said, we may have already had our luck, our piece of the pie.

The realist that you speak of yourself as being, has to know that.

At this point, luck will play as much a part of winning, especially at the level SPC did, as anything else. It’ll take the perfect confluence of circumstances/events. Like Corona said, we may have already had our luck, our piece of the pie.

The realist that you speak of yourself as being, has to know that.
And I have never once said I expect UTEP to go the NCAA Tournament 8 out of 10 years, or to make the Sweet 16 once a decade. Just saying that everyone deals with it, but can still win.

UTEP’s best days are behind them. There’s no question about it.

And I have never once said I expect UTEP to go the NCAA Tournament 8 out of 10 years, or to make the Sweet 16 once a decade. Just saying that everyone deals with it, but can still win.

UTEP’s best days are behind them. There’s no question about it.
With the bold, I agree.

But I disagree with “everyone deals with it, but can still win”. Not everyone wins. There are far more teams that exist in mediocrity than win.

Obviously some teams have more going for them and therefore can manipulate circumstances with greater ease. Some teams (SPC) are fortunate that those circumstances come about almost magically, even without having all the resources.

UTEP seems to have the ass end of the stick. Yet we hope every year and hold on to open possibility.

With the bold, I agree.

But I disagree with “everyone deals with it, but can still win”. Not everyone wins. There are far more teams that exist in mediocrity than win.

Obviously some teams have more going for them and therefore can manipulate circumstances with greater ease. Some teams (SPC) are fortunate that those circumstances come about almost magically, even without having all the resources.

UTEP seems to have the ass end of the stick. Yet we hope every year and hold on to open possibility.
That was not a literal statement, as obviously, it’s impossible for everyone to win. There’s no excuse for UTEP not to be somewhat “successful” though. We’re not FIU or San Jose St.

That was not a literal statement, as obviously, it’s impossible for everyone to win. There’s no excuse for UTEP not to be somewhat “successful” though. We’re not FIU or San Jose St.
Well, despite our history, we’re pretty damn close now. Closer to them than we are to say SDSU, Cinci, Wichita St, etc and other “mid majors”.

I agree with alot of these opinions. No excuses, everyone has to deal with the same problem.

However, I am less of a college basketball fan than ever and losing more interest each season.

We are basically watching Minor League Sports without the entertainment. Which would be fine if that's what we are being sold.

I guess I’m a little confused. I thought we were talking about winning and quality of play. I certainly wasn’t talking about attendance numbers.
It’s everything. Those two finish near the bottom or have finished near the bottom for a long period of time and they get 500 people a game. UTEP isn’t any of that. Yet.

Terry was last his first year, but it doesn’t happen very often. What’s the highest place SJSU has finished in their conference since they left the Big West in 1995?

Was at the Spring Showcase. It was a practice. Not a game or scrimmage. But I'm impressed at how Dimel is able to keep guys coming back year after year. There are alot of good players, they're definitely better than last year because they're bigger and execute better. Better on Defense in year 2 of Peveto's system. Hopefully another bowl
Thanks kick.

"Always construction on Mesa"

n4K6gYG.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT